Arizona State Moving To D1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    Not single one of these links purports ASU to have the largest enrollment of all U.S. colleges and universities.

I must be missing something here.
    Yes just read the reports and do the math
    ASU 62,599
    UCF 60,810
    OSU 42791

BTW I do have to say this is the stupidest argument I have seen in a while what are you a frustrated Social Studies teacher This is not a term paper, if you don't believe my figures look for yourself I don't know how you are missing the figures I use google too. You believe what you want to believe I'll believe the figures I got from a S___ load of research I did before you questioned it. I have better things to do then argue with some nitpicker
    BTW ASU Won tonight 7-2 so they may still be the #1 CLUB team when the ACHA ranking come out later tonight or tomorrow.

Proud Grandpa of Haley,Adam & Luke
    A Retired shop teacher and proud of it (35 years )

OSWEGO STATE Almost class of 1973

OSWEGO STATE LAKERS 2007 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Oswego, from the Indian Oshwakee, "the flowing out of the waters."
    Arizona State Class of 1974
    ASU THE ACHA D1 2014 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    Arizona based on the Pima Indian word arizonac, meaning "little spring place."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dirty View Post
      Bunch of 27 year old Canadian freshman, I bet. How despicable. What kind of school would do that?
      I have seen a bunch, A lot at DIII

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        Are there any fans of ASU who post here?
        Yes
        I started out as a DIII Oswego Fan (still am)

Comment

• Re: Arizona State Moving To D1

Originally posted by Irishdave View Post
          Yes just read the reports and do the math
          ASU 62,599
          UCF 60,810
          OSU 42791

BTW I do have to say this is the stupidest argument I have seen in a while what are you a frustrated Social Studies teacher This is not a term paper, if you don't believe my figures look for yourself I don't know how you are missing the figures I use google too. You believe what you want to believe I'll believe the figures I got from a S___ load of research I did before you questioned it. I have better things to do then argue with some nitpicker
          BTW ASU Won tonight 7-2 so they may still be the #1 CLUB team when the ACHA ranking come out later tonight or tomorrow.
          Uh, O.K.

Your eloquence, as well as your excellently supported rationale and "facts", have overwhelmed me and I will therefore slink away in shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            They play in a rink that seats 500 (no I'm not missing a zero, five hundred). Multiply that times 10 and you MIGHT have a team that hangs around a while in that area. Paying $5 to watch a club team is not the same as paying $20-$25 to watch a D-I hockey team. How many of those fans are going to come to games at 5 times the cost just because they're suddenly playing teams they don't play in any other sports. $20+ is what they'll be charging if they don't want the team to be a drain on the university - then again, maybe they don't care, there will be another 20,000 new tuition paying students each year they can always drain fees from. Hockey survives at small schools with small budgets because at most of them hockey is the biggest sport and has all the attention.
            Ryan J
            Point of information it is $12 ticket at ASU

Comment

In northern Arizona they built an arena for $36 million multipurpose facility located in Prescott Valley, Arizona. The arena seats approximately 5,100 for hockey,
              The costs can be trimmed down from $90 Million
              The Hockey team ceased operations this year but it did prove an arena could be built (just in the wrong place) for less.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                I was asking IrishDave that question?
                I don't think it could be built that quickly but money does funny things

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyFan22 View Post
                  UAH is a solid school but if you compare ASU vs UAH party wise, its not even close.
                  ASU has been ranked as " one of the easiest colleges to get laid "
                  Wait a minute I don't see it that way (wait it is time for my pills I am 63) but when I was a student I could say it was a true statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                    Is this the Arizona Sundogs teams ice rink?
                    Yes

Comment

• Originally posted by Critical Thinker View Post
                      ...but they're receptive to the idea of flying out to Arizona?
                      Phoenix Is a Hub for a couple of Airlines (ASU is in the flight pattern for Sky harbor Airport) It will be an easy trip for any team 20 min bus ride. NAU was not easy to get to once you landed in Phoenix, (According to Ron White, Geese fly faster to Flagstaff) it is a 155 mile bus trip up hill and it isn't any faster coming back.
                      Back in the Day every Football team wanted to play Hawaii when they were an independent they never had problems filling in home games. So I do not think ASU will have any problems getting games.

Comment

• Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                        They probably will have to build something. Their current options are that dump Oceanside that seats like 100 people or sharing facilities with the Suns downtown. If I was a hockey loving, party-centric ASU student, I'd much rather have a rink on campus.
                        One thought that had bounced around is since the ASU football has a air conditioned blowup practice dome (and so do the Cardinals) a practice dome could be put on campus to facilitate a "On Campus" practice facility

Comment

One thought that had bounced around is since the ASU football has a air conditioned blowup practice dome (and so do the Cardinals) a practice dome could be put on campus to facilitate a "On Campus" practice facility
                          The thermal requirements necessary to keep good ice very likely preclude an operation where a thinly-insulated inflatable dome could provide containment and cooling enough to to be acceptable in times when the average high is above 72ºF, which is most of the season per Wikipedia's climate listing for Tempe. [At least you wouldn't be trying to do this in August. I've been there in August. I know from hot, and that was hot.]

Next? This whole endeavor just seems hastily done, and if I'm the NCHC or WCHA, I'm wanting strong answers on what this rink will look like and where it will be placed. I'm sure that ASU has some idea as to the answers to those (and other) questions, and I don't think that they truly owe it to the USCHO Fan Forum to provide them in 72-point agate type in an email force-fed to all of us, but their announcement didn't lead me to believe that the idea was fully baked.

GFM
                          Geof F. Morris
                          UAH BSE MAE 2002
                          UAHHockey.com

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                            **** right this whole endeavor has been hastily done. I just hope the goalies dad who donated the 32 million dollars to convert ASU Club team to Division 1 isn't waisting his time and money for unrealistic expectations.
                            Nope. Said father already owns a very successful AHL franchise that claimed two IHL Championships and two AHL Championships in the 21 years they've been in existence. He's also been linked at various times to the purchase of the Chicago Cubs, Montreal Canadians, and an expansion NHL franchise in Seattle.

He's got the finances, and he's not afraid to spend to make his team a contender.
                            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I was at last nights Game (a 5-3 ENG Loss to #6 Oklahoma ) I found out that since the NCAA D1 announcement they have had over 600 Bona fide DI recruit inquires. I say not bad for a school without a state of the art facility and not even NCAA yet.
                              As for what league? It will not be a league with an Alaskan team in it. That's what I heard weeks before the NCAA DI announcement.
                              As for facilities You have the Wells Fargo arena which has an upgrade/refurbish/remodel on the calendar. The Talking Stick Arena (Home of the Phoenix Suns former home of the Arizona Coyotes) has expressed interest in being the Sun Devils Home as well and Gila River Arena (Present home of the Arizona Coyotes). Now these are not "horse's mouth" statements but they did come from a very reliable source, ( to be read as "monetary boosters and the like.")

As for the climate and babe attraction Well, it helped me leave Oswego State in the early 1970s
                              And ASU is the largest University in the United States (not counting online studies) (sometime #2 but ASU is BIG)
                              600 huh? Guess they have missed the boat so far. Bad decision to keep the coach.

Comment

Originally posted by #1collegehockeyfan
                                ASU is ranked #1 in club hockey, What's wrong with the coach?
                                You're kidding, right?

GFM
                                Geof F. Morris
                                UAH BSE MAE 2002
                                UAHHockey.com

Comment

Working...
                                X