Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When will Union finally move beyond Barcomb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will Union finally move beyond Barcomb?

Union women's hockey has struggled from it's inception. Although improvement has been seen in recent years, they still have yet to earn a playoff berth, ever! Union has managed to recruit some decent players, some in fact are very talented, but are they being coached to maximize their potential and the team's potential? Has Barcomb maxed out her ability, and fallen into such a deep rut, that she can't find her way out? Isn't now the time to shake it up, starting at the top, by finally bringing in new blood to revitalize this team, and give it a fighting chance?

Does it really make a difference, the fact that Union only offers financial aid? The men's team has demonstrated that it does not. In fact, so has the RIT women's ice hockey team. While I will acknowledge that every year can not be a championship year, and that losses are not as deep for Union as they once were, is it too much to expect that a playoff berth can be earned at least 1 in every 4 years?

As recently written in her article Sorry if You're Offended, but Women Can Play, Marttila states "The point of athletics is to improve". With 8 years now under her belt, Barcomb I believe has demonstrated that although marginally improved, yet still losing; the improvement being that she is losing by less, she has clearly reached her potential. Working with her own, personally hand picked team for the last 4 years, I think it's safe to conclude that she lacks the vision, hockey sense, savvy, an personality to take it to the next level. I believe staffing changes (Carpenito) delivered her, her most successful season, and staffing changes the following year has demonstrated a serious loss in coaching talent, that has brought Barcomb right back to the beginning. Finding another 'Scott McDonald', could finally turn this program around and perhaps make it up to the Union faithful.

Men's sports clearly get the lion's share of sponsorship and fan support, but the NBA getting behind the WNBA has proven that women's sport can be marketed. Men's D1 athletics is no different. Support the team, give them the tools, get them winning, and finances will come flooding in, through sponsorships, ticket sales, alumni donations, etc. For women's hockey to continue to grow, those with the control, means or ability need to get behind the sport and their team, and continue to encourage improvement. Succeed, and the finances will follow. Marttila pointed out, in her article, many schools were attendance at women's games is actually doing well. According to Martilla, "Cornell also averaged over 1,000 fans per game". In the west, it's even better. She states, "In February, Wisconsin drew a women's NCAA record crowd of 13,573 for a game versus Minnesota". Best way to continue to improve this momentum thoughout the sport is to put pressure on programs that have been struggling far too long, and push them to replace the only thing that hasn't seen a recent change. In this instance, it is the head coach, who has been at the helm for 8 years.

I enjoy watching women's hockey. Watching two good teams go head to head can be an exciting event. I would like to think that although a 'niche' sport, this sport can continue to grow and improve both nationally and internationally. To grow it though, we all must continue to support out teams, develop our players and grow our base, which includes our fan base. Give the fan base an exciting event to watch, and it will grow. Allow a program to flounder, and the product you provide fans will not be as exciting and can potentially damage the sport as a whole. Will Union continue to treat their women's team as their title IX beard, or are they finally going to demonstrate equality in their coed status, and pay some attention to this team and fix its' most obvious issue?

I think even if they have to pay her off, now is the time to do it. I don't believe she is functional in this role. Perhaps now is the perfect time and opportunity for Barcomb to step aside, save face , regroup and move to another opportunity down the road. Given the environment 4 years ago, a renewal was perhaps understandable, but the last 4 years has demonstrated that it was negligent. It's not hard to recognize when the issue is coaching, and not the talent. Change is desperately required, and perhaps the associate HC and assistant can do better without Barcomb, they certainly can't do any worse. It's been a long haul, but now is the time to end it.

Re: When will Union finally move beyond Barcomb?

There is already a thread for Union. Why not move this here: http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...chwomen-thread
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
    And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Originally posted by 5_4_fighting View Post
      Union women's hockey has struggled from it's inception. Although improvement has been seen in recent years, they still have yet to earn a playoff berth, ever! Union has managed to recruit some decent players, some in fact are very talented, but are they being coached to maximize their potential and the team's potential? Has Barcomb maxed out her ability, and fallen into such a deep rut, that she can't find her way out? Isn't now the time to shake it up, starting at the top, by finally bringing in new blood to revitalize this team, and give it a fighting chance?

Does it really make a difference, the fact that Union only offers financial aid? The men's team has demonstrated that it does not. In fact, so has the RIT women's ice hockey team. While I will acknowledge that every year can not be a championship year, and that losses are not as deep for Union as they once were, is it too much to expect that a playoff berth can be earned at least 1 in every 4 years?

As recently written in her article Sorry if You're Offended, but Women Can Play, Marttila states "The point of athletics is to improve". With 8 years now under her belt, Barcomb I believe has demonstrated that although marginally improved, yet still losing; the improvement being that she is losing by less, she has clearly reached her potential. Working with her own, personally hand picked team for the last 4 years, I think it's safe to conclude that she lacks the vision, hockey sense, savvy, an personality to take it to the next level. I believe staffing changes (Carpenito) delivered her, her most successful season, and staffing changes the following year has demonstrated a serious loss in coaching talent, that has brought Barcomb right back to the beginning. Finding another 'Scott McDonald', could finally turn this program around and perhaps make it up to the Union faithful.

Men's sports clearly get the lion's share of sponsorship and fan support, but the NBA getting behind the WNBA has proven that women's sport can be marketed. Men's D1 athletics is no different. Support the team, give them the tools, get them winning, and finances will come flooding in, through sponsorships, ticket sales, alumni donations, etc. For women's hockey to continue to grow, those with the control, means or ability need to get behind the sport and their team, and continue to encourage improvement. Succeed, and the finances will follow. Marttila pointed out, in her article, many schools were attendance at women's games is actually doing well. According to Martilla, "Cornell also averaged over 1,000 fans per game". In the west, it's even better. She states, "In February, Wisconsin drew a women's NCAA record crowd of 13,573 for a game versus Minnesota". Best way to continue to improve this momentum thoughout the sport is to put pressure on programs that have been struggling far too long, and push them to replace the only thing that hasn't seen a recent change. In this instance, it is the head coach, who has been at the helm for 8 years.

I enjoy watching women's hockey. Watching two good teams go head to head can be an exciting event. I would like to think that although a 'niche' sport, this sport can continue to grow and improve both nationally and internationally. To grow it though, we all must continue to support out teams, develop our players and grow our base, which includes our fan base. Give the fan base an exciting event to watch, and it will grow. Allow a program to flounder, and the product you provide fans will not be as exciting and can potentially damage the sport as a whole. Will Union continue to treat their women's team as their title IX beard, or are they finally going to demonstrate equality in their coed status, and pay some attention to this team and fix its' most obvious issue?

I think even if they have to pay her off, now is the time to do it. I don't believe she is functional in this role. Perhaps now is the perfect time and opportunity for Barcomb to step aside, save face , regroup and move to another opportunity down the road. Given the environment 4 years ago, a renewal was perhaps understandable, but the last 4 years has demonstrated that it was negligent. It's not hard to recognize when the issue is coaching, and not the talent. Change is desperately required, and perhaps the associate HC and assistant can do better without Barcomb, they certainly can't do any worse. It's been a long haul, but now is the time to end it.
      This is a well-reasoned case. I think the comparison to RIT in particular makes for a very compelling argument for change.

Comment

Minor nitpick, the author of the article cited "Sorry if You're Offended, but Women Can Play" is Arlan Martilla. Not a she...but a he.
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

How long has the men's program around? What has RIT done in DI? Not surprised this is your first post.
          Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

This argument was put forth and debated in length last year. It's long-past time for a change in leadership at Union. They have D1 hockey and an academic profile that ranks right up there with the NESCAC's. Plenty of players would be attracted to that combination. But she doesn't seem to know how.

Comment

Looks like there are a good number of prep school kids on her roster so I wonder what the problem is in attracting the top talent from the prep school leagues. Are more of those kids choosing NESCAC schools over a D1 opportunity where the education is at least equal to the NESCAC?

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                This argument was put forth and debated in length last year. It's long-past time for a change in leadership at Union. They have D1 hockey and an academic profile that ranks right up there with the NESCAC's. Plenty of players would be attracted to that combination. But she doesn't seem to know how.
                There needs to be more than one coaching change in the Albany D1 arena!! Will ditto that about plenty of quality players being attracted to hockey and academics at RPI as well, but they too come in very talented and are not improving over their 4 years of play. And RPI offers scholarships which means they have even more leverage than Union, but with the current state of affairs in Troy, any prospect that sees them end last season 0-9-1 and starting off this season as terribly as they left off are going to run for the hills!! A player wants to continue improving even through college. Talent is there, but coaching know how is questionable. Agree, new blood is needed in Albany area!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Looks like there are a good number of prep school kids on her roster so I wonder what the problem is in attracting the top talent from the prep school leagues. Are more of those kids choosing NESCAC schools over a D1 opportunity where the education is at least equal to the NESCAC?
                  You have to be good at recruiting or at coaching. The best teams are good at both. The average teams are good at one or the other. I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
                    You have to be good at recruiting or at coaching. The best teams are good at both. The average teams are good at one or the other. I'll leave it at that.
                    If you're a very good recruiter you don't have to be a great bench boss but if your recruiting is suspect you're going to have to coach your butt off all season long just to be competitive. I don't see one strength or the other at either of those two programs.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                      How long has the men's program around? What has RIT done in DI? Not surprised this is your first post.
                      They did win the CHA championship in only their 2nd year. No small accomplishment.
                      ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

Originally posted by Cali View Post
                        They did win the CHA championship in only their 2nd year. No small accomplishment.
                        Well that's up for debate.
                        Fire Chiarelli!

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post

Union education is not on par with NESCAC schools. Really different animals, although I get the comparison. That said, I agree with the main point...which is...There are many girls who should be looking hard at what Union has to offer...in the classroom and on the ice...and bottom line, the current coach and staff is not getting it done. Time for new blood.

Comment

Originally posted by UCONN FAN View Post
                            Well that's up for debate.
                            I understand. 2010 and 2005 are still painful memories.
                            ...and whadaya know, it's another freshman...

Comment

This one has been argued to death (including by me) over the last year or two. It appears that the number of Barcomb supporters on this forum is rapidly dwindling (or at least they aren't as vocal). In reality, this will take the Union AD looking at results and saying they aren't sufficient from a win/loss perspective.

Also - I don't think anyone could legitimately argue that RIT beating a Mercyhurst team that was an at-large NCAA tournament team to win the CHA tournament championship is a small accomplishment... it clearly significant and meaningful to the RIT program and to the CHA as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X