Should the scores thread continue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the scores thread continue?

With d3hockey.com doing a great job of funneling the scores to one site, do we really need a scores thread?

The volume of responses is low and the posters are the usual regulars.
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: Should the scores thread continue?

If we don't keep doing this, bad things will happen....really bad things...
    LETS GO BEARS!

"Never play flag football in the nude"-Bob Kevoian

"Don't let anyone tell you what we do builds character, it only reveals it." J.Marsh

SUNY Potsdam '98

St.Lawrence '00

Mike St. Louis is not a BUM!

Comment

I don't think the thread is completely about the scores themselves. This place would get awfully quiet without the score threads. Even more so than now.
      FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

I no longer look at them for scores, primarily because there are now more efficient ways to follow games as they unfold . . I still do dip into them but generally after the games are done with in order to read reactions and assessments (as opposed to scores).

Comment

Originally posted by d3follower View Post
          I no longer look at them for scores, primarily because there are now more efficient ways to follow games as they unfold . . I still do dip into them but generally after the games are done with in order to read reactions and assessments (as opposed to scores).
          Agree...like what happened in Stevens Point? I see a close game, turn it on, see UWSP won 3-2 in OT but some coach? was yelling at the reff....?
          Remy Babineaux
          remyb616@gmail.com
          D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
            With d3hockey.com doing a great job of funneling the scores to one site, do we really need a scores thread?

It is still a way to keep in touch with the other games...I was at Stafford tonight but could read about the other games....not just the scores ! Keep them going is my vote.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Would there be any benefit in discontinuing the scores thread ? Not really.

Comment

And who doesn't look forward to the thread titles from the master each week. :-) Always puts a smile on my face. Please keep it going. Like Birdwatcher said, there's more to following the other games than the numbers themselves. This provides a space for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  I don't think the thread is completely about the scores themselves. This place would get awfully quiet without the score threads. Even more so than now.
                  Certainly the advent of the Permalinks with Live Stats coupled with high limit/unlimited cellular data plans has cut down on the traffic on scores threads, I too agree that it provides a venue to discuss "game events" beyond the scores. I am confident that as the season goes on there will be more traffic.
                  Larry Normandin
                  SUNY Cobleskill '83-SUNY Plattsburgh '00

Temper is one thing you can't get rid of by losing it.

God gave everyone patience-The wise use it.

Trust is like paper - Once crumbled it can never again be perfect.

Twitter w/ Bob Emery

WIRY (Windows Player)
                  WIRY (Chrome/Android Player)

Talk is cheap because supply exceeds demand!

Pen pals

D3HOCKEY.com

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

It's a tradition (like contrasting sweater colors). I look in more for the commentary than anything else. Live scores are available elsewhere, so this thread doesn't serve that purpose any more, but it's always nice to read about the latest Mike St. Louis atrocity and other things that you can't get from just seeing the scores.
                    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

It's not about scores anymore....
                      LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Even if the scores can be had somewhere else, it's nice to have a designated thread to talk about the night's games. So I would vote the threads continue
                        #OneKnight

Comment

Score threads have also taken a hit on the D-I side. I guess we are just too far away from the days when we all relied on the the "cell phone network" to get scores.

Lets get real....things have not been the same here since RIT left. Man those fans could really toss the stuff around. They were not afraid to call anyone out. And, of course, they were always right....just ask any of them.

Mr. Dunning....am I right about those "good 'ol days?"
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                            Score threads have also taken a hit on the D-I side. I guess we are just too far away from the days when we all relied on the the "cell phone network" to get scores.

Lets get real....things have not been the same here since RIT left. Man those fans could really toss the stuff around. They were not afraid to call anyone out. And, of course, they were always right....just ask any of them.

Mr. Dunning....am I right about those "good 'ol days?"
                            Abso-freaking-lutely...

This board has never quite been the same since losing RIT to D-I. But lets remember there are a lot of other things that have caused less posts. Games are now videostreamed and people have twitter and facebook to get updates from. Live stats as well.

The biggest reason why the scores thread was so popular was because this was the place you came to get the score from someone at the game.

I still like them though and definitely follow along on gameday.
                            The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                            "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                            GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                            GO LAKERS!!!
                            GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                            "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                            Oswego State '09

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                              I, for one don't miss their arrogance - besides Oswego has taken their place in many ways.

My first post on this board came when I became so frustrated with the guff that some of nonsense that the RIT crowd was passing out. Before then I just lurked.
                              2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                              2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                              2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                              2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                              X