Sorry if you’re offended, but women can play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry if you’re offended, but women can play

Nicely penned article written by Arlan Marttila for those who may have missed it on today's front page:

http://www.uscho.com/2014/11/13/sorr...omen-can-play/
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: Sorry if you’re offended, but women can play

Great article; I agree with Arlan 100%. Appreciate the link, D2D -- I found the article here first.

The argument that each level of play should be appreciated on its own merits can't be emphasized enough. Note that the Men's Frozen Four Champ couldn't beat an NHL club. But that doesn't diminish the Men's FF; no one seriously claims that it does. It just seems self-evident that the same type of respect should be extended to Women's Hockey, particularly at the D-1 level. It's fast-paced, skillful and well-coached. What's not to like?

Yeah, I know. Preaching to the choir...

Comment

I agree entirely. And let's see if FIFA can screw up the women's World Cup by making them play on turf instead of grass. It's FIFA, so it should be well within its capabilities to do the wrong thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
        Great article; I agree with Arlan 100%. Appreciate the link, D2D -- I found the article here first.

The argument that each level of play should be appreciated on its own merits can't be emphasized enough. Note that the Men's Frozen Four Champ couldn't beat an NHL club. But that doesn't diminish the Men's FF; no one seriously claims that it does. It just seems self-evident that the same type of respect should be extended to Women's Hockey, particularly at the D-1 level. It's fast-paced, skillful and well-coached. What's not to like?

Yeah, I know. Preaching to the choir...
        Agreed until you said particularly at the D-1 level. You must take it for what it is at any level and appreciate it otherwise you are making their argument.

Do you not believe a top rated D3 program could beat a poor D1 and show a higher skill level?

Comment

I am amazed at the progress in quality of play for women. Just five years ago, we were talking a much slower game with less on target passing. Very excited to see what it will look like 5 years from now.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Working...
          X