X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    MI Tech is #1 in the country and UW is winless as of 11/20/14. Hell has indeed frozen over.

Wisconsin Hockey: Polar Vortex Timewarp
    Big Ten Pairwise Rankings:

# 4 Minnesota
    #17 Penn State
    #31 Ohio State
    #38 Michigan
    #47 Michigan State
    #59 Wisconsin

With the exception of Minnesota, possibly the worst league in the country.

A big "Atta Boy" goes out to Coach Eaves for the #59 ranking....look for fans to run out and purchase more tickets...not!!

Comment

Dead last? I should not be shocked being 0-6, but I am! CC is tied for 51st, we've got a chance to win one and maybe pass Niagra and American freaking International this weekend. It's not fair to the lads to be in such a dark place about the situation, but it's hard to get out of this funk.
      These guys just need to get on the right side of W-L for once and I think we get going.

As some of our greatest philosophers once said, "It's a long way to the Top if you wanna Rock-n-Roll!"

So being 59th is probably some sort of advantage, right? I mean we do have the longest way!
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

To take a page out of the financial world "past performance is not an indicator of future results".

Yes, the team has not yet won a game. But I don't think that we need to abandon hope at this point.

Yes, there are a million reasons. Yes, there are a million people who will either defend or deny those reasons. I'll now list a few of those reasons and defend them.

We have a very young team, but there is talent in this team.

I watched the Alaska games on my computer, I was at Green Bay for the NMU series, and I was at the home series against NoDak.

While I can certainly say that I am not the most astute hockey mind, to my eye the team has gotten significantly better each weekend. I think more progress should be expected and will be delivered.

These young men are learning a new system, some learning a new position, learning new line-mates...it could only be expected that things would start slow and develop through the season. Did anyone think that it would start this slow? Probably not. Should anyone be shocked that it started this slow? Probably not.

Give the kids some time to develop into a team, and I think we'll see some good things by the end of the season. It might be too late for it to matter for anything beyond pride at that point, but this is the situation that we are in. This is the team that we have. This is the coaching staff that we have. Either get in line to support them and cheer them on with all of your might or get out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
          With the exception of Minnesota, possibly the worst league in the country.
          Luckily in the Big Ten you could go 3-34 and make the tournament.

Comment

It's not fair to the lads to be in such a dark place about the situation, but it's hard to get out of this funk.

Well, I don't believe that anyone is blaming the players at this point. It's not their fault that the team is constructed improperly.

Originally posted by KaMiGo View Post

Give the kids some time to develop into a team, and I think we'll see some good things by the end of the season. It might be too late for it to matter for anything beyond pride at that point, but this is the situation that we are in. This is the team that we have. This is the coaching staff that we have. Either get in line to support them and cheer them on with all of your might or get out of the way.

No one is turning in their fan card.

Discerning paying customers (whether paying cash, in emotional capital or both) get to voice their complaints/criticisms when things aren't going well or when the product doesn't live up to reasonable expectations.

I appreciate your seeming undying optimism, but you don't get to tell the rest of us whether we're satisfied or not.

Now GET OFF MY LAWN!

Comment

I think it safe to say UW has a good chance of picking up at least one win this weekend. CC isn't much better than UW but Denver is playing well. I think next week against Ferris will be a good series.
              WISCONSIN BADGERS
              NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
              WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
              WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
              B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
              Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

To take a page out of the financial world "past performance is not an indicator of future results".

Yes, the team has not yet won a game. But I don't think that we need to abandon hope at this point.

Yes, there are a million reasons. Yes, there are a million people who will either defend or deny those reasons. I'll now list a few of those reasons and defend them.

We have a very young team, but there is talent in this team.

I watched the Alaska games on my computer, I was at Green Bay for the NMU series, and I was at the home series against NoDak.

While I can certainly say that I am not the most astute hockey mind, to my eye the team has gotten significantly better each weekend. I think more progress should be expected and will be delivered.

These young men are learning a new system, some learning a new position, learning new line-mates...it could only be expected that things would start slow and develop through the season. Did anyone think that it would start this slow? Probably not. Should anyone be shocked that it started this slow? Probably not.

I didn't get to watch the first 4 games, but based on all the information I have, I feel strongly that the Badgers are like an 0-2 team disguised as an 0-6 team when it comes to what to expect moving forward.

And Wisko...the Badgers have been on the right side of the W-L all season! I'd like to see them get on the left side.

Comment

It might be too late for it to matter for anything beyond pride at that point, but this is the situation that we are in. This is the team that we have. This is the coaching staff that we have. Either get in line to support them and cheer them on with all of your might or get out of the way.
                  Going in, everyone knew that it would be ugly this year, it's just a little bit of a shock when your in the midst of it. I don't know about anyone else but going in, I just circled the B1G tournament on my calendar as the only games that will really matter for this team. So it certainly will not be too late.

But don't worry, the negativity in the air you see so far is pretty restrained for this place. First off, this board is 75% or more cynical oldbie fans, and we flip out over every bad pass and missed assignment, let alone six losses. Heck, nobody has even dug up the "Fire Eaves" thread yet. Although I'm absolutely certain that we're only a loss to CC away from that. Just consider that none of it is nearly as bad as complacency.

In the larger picture it's only important that they get better every time out and reach their potential by season's end. Then, of course, win the B1G and our 7th title.

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  And Wisko...the Badgers have been on the right side of the W-L all season! I'd like to see them get on the left side.
                  Awesome! I knew if I just posted enough, someone would eventually read one of my posts!
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
                    Luckily in the Big Ten you could go 3-34 and make the tournament.
                    7-34 is the goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                      Heck, nobody has even dug up the "Fire Eaves" thread yet.!
                      I've been contemplating it....

Bonin is right, there is light at the end of the tunnel with only having to win 3 games in the b6 to make the ncaa's.

The frustration comes in when every other "legacy" team just reloads and UW has to rebuild.

Eaves has brought in some really good players, it's just a shock to be this hard-pressed to score.

It's also frustrating not seeing them play to see any positives to latch on to.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

I've been contemplating it....

Bonin is right, there is light at the end of the tunnel with only having to win 3 games in the b6 to make the ncaa's.

The frustration comes in when every other "legacy" team just reloads and UW has to rebuild.

Eaves has brought in some really good players, it's just a shock to be this hard-pressed to score.

It's also frustrating not seeing them play to see any positives to latch on to.
                        As much as our fan bases rag on each other, I feel your pain. We dealt with our own down period in the late 00's and it was no fun at all.

In all seriousness, there is plenty of talent on your roster. The team is nowhere near as bad as their record indicates. They'll turn it around.

As much as I hate seeing your program do well, it also sucks seeing conference teams struggle like this. Wish you guys luck this weekend.
                        @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
                        On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
                        High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                          7-34 is the goal.
                          I think 7-34 is an achievable goal for this team
                          Go Badgers!

Comment

Originally posted by mnstate0fhockey View Post
                            In all seriousness, there is plenty of talent on your roster. The team is nowhere near as bad as their record indicates. They'll turn it around.

As much as I hate seeing your program do well, it also sucks seeing conference teams struggle like this. Wish you guys luck this weekend.
                            Thank you. I agree too. The team is better than it's record and they'll come around..hopefully starting this weekend. And I concur about seeing conference teams and rivals struggle. I feel that way about Michigan football. I want them to get good again so I can re-hate their guts and enjoy seeing them lose.
                            Go Badgers!

Comment

Either Gurt has gone soft or Board doesn't want a separate thread for Barry-bashing.
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                                Either Gurt has gone soft or Board doesn't want a separate thread for Barry-bashing.

It wasn't the ****-storm that I had envisioned/hoped for and was therefore useless.
                                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 11-19-2014, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X