This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by burd View Post
    I know one thing: it's not just Badger fans who need UW to get its hockey mojo back. College hockey needs it.
    Really? Why is that?
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

I'm totally cool with the badgers being terrible. They let us know when we weren't very good.

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
        This is spot on. Opposing fan here. I've been to many games at the Kohl center that go a bit differently.... This is very tough to admit, but I honestly felt bad for you guys last night. We should NEVER be able to out cheer a Badger crowd. I remember seeing the crease creatures all the way to the top of the building and being impressed by them. By the end of the game last night there were only 3 rows. I understand it's break... and we are just lowly Tech, but that's nuts. Also, are they not allowed to do the a**hole chant anymore? That was missing last night as well. Usually it comes quickly to us.
        I definitely heard at least 3 a**hole chants, though not all of them really took off. It's less likely to happen as most people here don't hate MTU and the overwhelming majority of MTU fans seemed perfectly pleasant. Even that loud group of Huskies fans in 210(?) were fine, and we did a few chants in response (anything is better than "a**hole" - I never do that one), in addition to just doing a "let's go red" to drown them out after MTU goals and build a wall of sound around Peterson.

It'll be interesting to see what the student section is like moving forward, considering the results so far. From what I've seen, it's been pretty great this year for the 3 games that didn't conflict with the Big Ten football championship or holidays/breaks.

I was a little surprised by how many MTU fans were in the building, but then I thought for 2 seconds and wasn't surprised. Winning team against a bad team? Seems like it might be worth a trip. As far as out-cheering UW fans is concerned, I'd like the old people to be louder, but after things fell apart, there wasn't much to cheer about - not with intensity, anyway.

Comment

It sure appears that this team has quit on the coaches. If so, I'm not sure there's anything they can do to get them back. Eaves' style suggest he will put the screws to them, likely pushing them even further over the edge. A change must be made, Mike Eaves is not bigger than this program. Bring in the whole freaking Granato family. Tony lived on my floor in the dorms his freshman year. Great guy, great family. They came up for every home game, and his dad brought the Stoh's for the public television replays after the game. When you couldn't read lips on the rebroadcast, Tony would fill in the dialogue.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBucky! View Post
            Looking for some glimmer of hope that Eaves will be gone before next year. Is there any chance the UW buys out his contract? Better yet, any chance Barry could persuade him to step down?
            I wonder if Barry lets him save face and step down, if Eaves would still get his buyout.

Comment

• Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
              I wonder if Barry lets him save face and step down, if Eaves would still get his buyout.
              Everything is negotiable.

Comment

Even Bucky fans were stunned by a #10 ranking in the preseason polls (after losing 60 to 70 percent of point production).
                But would incredulous be more accurate for the BADgers performance this season?
                The worst record in college hockey Simply Unbelievable!

Eleven freshmen--but they wouldn't have been recruited if they weren't talented. BTW UNO has a 11 freshmen this year and Denver had 10 plus preseason tryout from the Club team last year. It happens.

Maybe UW All American Eaves should step aside for UW situation player Gwozdecky.
                GO DU !!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                  I definitely heard at least 3 a**hole chants, though not all of them really took off. It's less likely to happen as most people here don't hate MTU and the overwhelming majority of MTU fans seemed perfectly pleasant. Even that loud group of Huskies fans in 210(?) were fine, and we did a few chants in response (anything is better than "a**hole" - I never do that one), in addition to just doing a "let's go red" to drown them out after MTU goals and build a wall of sound around Peterson.

It'll be interesting to see what the student section is like moving forward, considering the results so far. From what I've seen, it's been pretty great this year for the 3 games that didn't conflict with the Big Ten football championship or holidays/breaks.

I was a little surprised by how many MTU fans were in the building, but then I thought for 2 seconds and wasn't surprised. Winning team against a bad team? Seems like it might be worth a trip. As far as out-cheering UW fans is concerned, I'd like the old people to be louder, but after things fell apart, there wasn't much to cheer about - not with intensity, anyway.
                  Tech usually travels well, so add some success to their squad, and there you go.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

A lot of us here are localish alums as well. My username is still relevant as I'm up in Neenah.
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by stuckinwi View Post
                      A lot of us here are localish alums as well. My username is still relevant as I'm up in Neenah.
                      We have quite a few alums in the Twin Cities area. I see quite a number of MTU bumper stickers and such around town.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

I've had 4 season tickets since the year the program moved into the Kohl. If Eaves is retained, I'll be dropping those tickets. I always have had an affinity for Badger hockey from being able to watch the games over the air on antenna on channel 3 and WPTV back to the 70's. When the Blackhawks fell into an abyss (incidentally...Badger hockey at this point is eerily similar to the Hawks in the mid 90's....awful hockey on the ice and a morgue like atmosphere in a half empty building), I traded participating in a portion of a Hawks season ticket package (6 games a year...give or take) for the Badgers season tickets.

The time to make a move is now...Eaves to the dumpster and go grab Don Granato who can maybe use his current position to salvage this recruiting class and give us a chance with a legacy recruit in Boesser who's going elsewhere is inexcusable as is missing elite Wisconsin player after elite Wisconsin player the last several years (the pain is only exasperated when the state does not produce that many elite players). It is disgusting watching 4 Wisconsin natives playing for the US in the WJC and have none chose to play college hockey in Madison.

Comment

Originally posted by markwojo View Post
                          I've had 4 season tickets since the year the program moved into the Kohl. If Eaves is retained, I'll be dropping those tickets. I always have had an affinity for Badger hockey from being able to watch the games over the air on antenna on channel 3 and WPTV back to the 70's. When the Blackhawks fell into an abyss (incidentally...Badger hockey at this point is eerily similar to the Hawks in the mid 90's....awful hockey on the ice and a morgue like atmosphere in a half empty building), I traded participating in a portion of a Hawks season ticket package (6 games a year...give or take) for the Badgers season tickets.

The time to make a move is now...Eaves to the dumpster and go grab Don Granato who can maybe use his current position to salvage this recruiting class and give us a chance with a legacy recruit in Boesser who's going elsewhere is inexcusable as is missing elite Wisconsin player after elite Wisconsin player the last several years (the pain is only exasperated when the state does not produce that many elite players). It is disgusting watching 4 Wisconsin natives playing for the US in the WJC and have none chose to play college hockey in Madison.
                          I vaguely recognize your username, and recall you are a decent Sconni poster (SHUDDER ). You bring up good points about WI losing what players they have in-state. IMO, and correct me if wrong, but WI doesn't really care about hockey. It's a football (and maybe secondly a bouncyball) school. Hockey? Meh at best. And in the old WCHA, that might have been alright, given the number of weaker schools in the conference. In the B1G Mistake? That doesn't fly.

It's a common feeling, at least for this year, it's MN and the rest. Hell, PSU is even being talked about for being the 2nd best team in the conference. PSU! You kidding me? That is insane.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I vaguely recognize your username, and recall you are a decent Sconni poster (SHUDDER ). You bring up good points about WI losing what players they have in-state. IMO, and correct me if wrong, but WI doesn't really care about hockey. It's a football (and maybe secondly a bouncyball) school. Hockey? Meh at best. And in the old WCHA, that might have been alright, given the number of weaker schools in the conference. In the B1G Mistake? That doesn't fly.

It's a common feeling, at least for this year, it's MN and the rest. Hell, PSU is even being talked about for being the 2nd best team in the conference. PSU! You kidding me? That is insane.
                            I think you are very warm in your perception of some of the underlying problems. The pinnacle of Wisconsin hockey was in the 70's and 80's and bounceyball and footyball were awful in Madison. Football and basketball success has probably altered the hierarchy of sports significance to students, fans, prospective athletes, ect. Not saying you can't have excellence in multiple sports or across the spectrum, but I do think hockey is viewed much differently today then a couple decades ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

The current conference alignment has no impact on UW's situation. The cycle of highs and lows existed before the formation of the Big Ten. In fact, most of the games this season have been against teams they would have played under the old alignment.

Im sure that having the hockey team take a back seat to football and basketball hurts somewhat with recruting particularly because UW isn't constantly in the minds of local players. Of course, consistant success would fix the lack of media.

That wouldn't change the rumored poor reputation that I've heard Eaves has among WI HS/junior coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                correct me if wrong, but WI doesn't really care about hockey. It's a football (and maybe secondly a bouncyball) school. Hockey? Meh at best. And in the old WCHA, that might have been alright, given the number of weaker schools in the conference. In the B1G Mistake? That doesn't fly.
                                I'm not sure what you mean, Brent. Is there a weaker conference in the country than the B1G? OSU, Penn State, Mich and Mich State aren't football and basketball first schools?

Comment

Working...
                                X