PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 52

WiscTJK
01-11-2015, 09:09 PM
Oh, I know the context. It's just a phrase that doesn't work here, IMO.

It wasn't the usual excuse filled interview.....the metaphors just kill me. Just talk about how the team played good or bad. But I am a blunt person as some of you know.

WiscTJK
01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
This is my kind of interview:

http://youtu.be/mVk99lxZaLA

Hopefully the link works.

GoBucky!
01-11-2015, 09:36 PM

But he didn't mention fishing or putting hay in a barn or anything? :confused:

solovsfett
01-11-2015, 09:40 PM
Out of curiosity, since you've ripped every quote I've used from Eaves on my blog the past few weeks, what could he have said that wouldn't make you freak out?

Anything along the lines of "we've got work to do" "we're not where we want to be" we're not where we need to be" "we've got to put together 120minutes" etc

I guess I'm tired of the metaphor's/analogies/etc

Stauber1
01-11-2015, 09:42 PM

It's hard not to like those Serratores

Chuck Schwartz
01-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Anything along the lines of "we've got work to do" "we're not where we want to be" we're not where we need to be" "we've got to put together 120minutes" etc

I guess I'm tired of the metaphor's/analogies/etc

Maybe that's my fault then. I was on a time constraint and didn't get a chance to hear the press conference. I took what I needed for the recap and got out of dodge.

Here is a quote from his press conference (http://www.uwbadgers.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/011015aad.html) more to your liking, I would assume.

"We made some silly mistakes in those situations. What it tells us is that we’re not quite there where we want to be. This is the first time all year where we had this opportunity where we played well on a Friday, thank goodness. Now we’ve got to come back and do it again, and we didn’t. Not for 60 minutes. We have to learn our lessons and get ready for next week."

I apologize for not doing my job better.

bucky15
01-12-2015, 06:56 AM

This was a funny interview, thanks for posting.

I checked to see what the Saturday night results of this PSU vs AFA series and the coach was right the score flipped. Penn State beat them the next night 5-1.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Friday for most of the game and Saturday night for about a period and a half. But not the full 120 minutes. But being that you are the eternal optimist for Eaves and the direction of the program, they played harder than they have all season.

And in ended with one point.....

I would say that while there is obviously strong correlation between "playing hard" and winning, (just like there is with talent and experience with winning) simply playing hard does not always equal winning, even over a particular stretch of a game. There's more to it, including the fact that the other guys want to win too. For example there was a stretch in Saturday's game where BU was able to gain offensive zone possession and maintain it long enough to tire our guys while getting a one by one line change as they were on the short side. When the puck finally gets out we have to change up , and they are in complete control of the match ups. We get in a stretch of their top playing against our third, Eichel vs. Wagner, with Jack D. and Tim D. on the back end. And after playing very well (IMO) the last three, they get a little exposed under the heavy pressure and make some mistakes. (As does Drake and Linhart, unfortunately) At this point it's not so much that we're not "playing hard" as it is we're just over matched on the ice and making some mental mistakes that we just cannot make against guys like Eichel and O'Regan. To the casual observer I can certainly understand how a stretch like that looks like we're suddenly phoning it in, but it can't be just subscribed to a lack of effort.

I agree once we went down 3-1 we did not respond well. I'm sure the players know in the back of their minds that they haven't been filling the net with pucks this year and they are in deep deep trouble. It's not good but 18 and 19 year-olds just don't have the same kind of perspective that older players do and certainly not the same perspective that fans who have seen a thousand college games and just about everything under the sun happen. It takes experience and they got a healthy dose of lessons this weekend that hopefully will make them better next week. I am pleased with the work ethic overall. It wouldn't be that hard for these kids to bail, but by all appearances they are in there swinging, something that wasn't as apparent earlier in the year.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-12-2015, 09:31 AM
This was a funny interview, thanks for posting.

I checked to see what the Saturday night results of this PSU vs AFA series and the coach was right the score flipped. Penn State beat them the next night 5-1.

So what you're saying is Serratore's frank interview and kind of throwing his own kids under the bus resulted in his own team coming out the next night and getting smoked?

Hmmm... Maybe he should have tried a few mountain climbing analogies instead? ;)

WiscTJK
01-12-2015, 10:18 AM
I would say that while there is obviously strong correlation between "playing hard" and winning, (just like there is with talent and experience with winning) simply playing hard does not always equal winning, even over a particular stretch of a game. There's more to it, including the fact that the other guys want to win too. For example there was a stretch in Saturday's game where BU was able to gain offensive zone possession and maintain it long enough to tire our guys while getting a one by one line change as they were on the short side. When the puck finally gets out we have to change up , and they are in complete control of the match ups. We get in a stretch of their top playing against our third, Eichel vs. Wagner, with Jack D. and Tim D. on the back end. And after playing very well (IMO) the last three, they get a little exposed under the heavy pressure and make some mistakes. (As does Drake and Linhart, unfortunately) At this point it's not so much that we're not "playing hard" as it is we're just over matched on the ice and making some mental mistakes that we just cannot make against guys like Eichel and O'Regan. To the casual observer I can certainly understand how a stretch like that looks like we're suddenly phoning it in, but it can't be just subscribed to a lack of effort.

I agree once we went down 3-1 we did not respond well. I'm sure the players know in the back of their minds that they haven't been filling the net with pucks this year and they are in deep deep trouble. It's not good but 18 and 19 year-olds just don't have the same kind of perspective that older players do and certainly not the same perspective that fans who have seen a thousand college games and just about everything under the sun happen. It takes experience and they got a healthy dose of lessons this weekend that hopefully will make them better next week. I am pleased with the work ethic overall. It wouldn't be that hard for these kids to bail, but by all appearances they are in there swinging, something that wasn't as apparent earlier in the year.

We aren't ever going to agree, I can see that. I am just a fan, having never played the game, so what you are saying may be correct. However, BU is another team with a lot of freshman (10 by my count), that just look a lot better.

My question for you is where is our Jack Eichel, Nik Kerdiles, etc.? guys that can put the puck in the net. I don't see it and there appears to be a talent gap that continues. Now we won't have Boeser either. And some of the other top guys that we didn't get, including some from Wisconsin.

bucky15
01-12-2015, 10:34 AM
So what you're saying is Serratore's frank interview and kind of throwing his own kids under the bus resulted in his own team coming out the next night and getting smoked?

Hmmm... Maybe he should have tried a few mountain climbing analogies instead? ;)

I am saying it was a funny post game press conference. You are the one saying the other things to prove some point about Eaves.

Just accept that this years team is awful and it is a direct reflection of a coach who in his terms, has steered the ship into an iceberg. Maybe he can catch a fish, when he is floating away on an iceberg.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-12-2015, 12:38 PM
We aren't ever going to agree, I can see that. I am just a fan, having never played the game, so what you are saying may be correct. However, BU is another team with a lot of freshman (10 by my count), that just look a lot better.

My question for you is where is our Jack Eichel, Nik Kerdiles, etc.? guys that can put the puck in the net. I don't see it and there appears to be a talent gap that continues. Now we won't have Boeser either. And some of the other top guys that we didn't get, including some from Wisconsin.

It's Ok TJK, so we disagree on some things, opinions always vary and I don't hold it against you at all. (hopefully folks here generally reciprocate)--what we do agree on is that we both want UW to have a championship Hockey program. I assume every Badger fan wants that. I am optimistic by nature and it's generally served me well, so that carries over into hockey, especially so as growing up, I don't ever really recall hearing the ol' Badger (Bob) saying much negative about his team. I suppose if he didn't win so much he would have just come across as another guy making a lot of excuses. That's fair.

While +/- is a terrible stat, it still says something sometimes. In this case in a 6-1 loss the top line is a total -2 (-1,-1, 0), the 2nd line all even, the third line totals -7 (-2,-2,-3). I saw quite a bit of match up problems that were out of our control at times.

I watched BU play a few last year, (they had a 20 game stretch where they won only 2) and they are much much better all the way around not just because Eichel is so good, but because they've had to play against him every day all season. It strikes me that on this Badger team the best skating and playmaking forwards are Rockwood, Hughes, Zullnick, Besse, and Wagner. The sophs are better by a bit but not a lot. So when these guys go to practice, they are all sort of interchangeably the best guys there. What really kills them in practice is not having a Kerdiles type who is just a mile better to push them to the next level. They don't get that until they get to games. It slows their development a lot, IMO

Rather than answering that they have graduated or are playing in the pros, as I think we've kind of beat that subject to death here, I'll just focus on the going forward part. I hate losing Boeser, but I don't think Wisco needs Boeser to win. We have other very good players coming in and it's going to be an interesting battle for playing time next year. I think Hughes, Rockwood and Wagner are way underrated by Badger fans, which is understandable, but they are going to be really good players here. Besse, Zully and Big Jed are really coming on and pushing toward taking a big step forward. (In particular I thought Soleway really played the way we have hoped he would get to playing this weekend.) The single most important thing I see is that we have/are reestablishing a pipeline into Canada. If we really get that going with kids like Fabrro and Jost, look out.

In place of Boeser I'd think we would have a real shot at Tkachuk, but I have to question whether if his academics won't line up for Notre Dame, they will get in order in time for UW. Probably less problem going to the Hockey UND or elsewhere if he wants though... not the first kid we'll miss out on because of that, but that's the way it is.

Chuck Schwartz
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
In place of Boeser I'd think we would have a real shot at Tkachuk, but I have to question whether if his academics won't line up for Notre Dame, they will get in order in time for UW. Probably less problem going to the Hockey UND or elsewhere if he wants though... not the first kid we'll miss out on because of that, but that's the way it is.

Tkachuk's academics at Notre Dame had more to do with the classes they require than test scores and GPA. He's accelerating, so that's the tough part. He realized he wasn't going to get the classes he needed so he wanted to open up his options. I was told he could still get into most of the other elite hockey schools out there.

markwojo
01-12-2015, 01:09 PM
Tkachuk's academics at Notre Dame had more to do with the classes they require than test scores and GPA. He's accelerating, so that's the tough part. He realized he wasn't going to get the classes he needed so he wanted to open up his options. I was told he could still get into most of the other elite hockey schools out there.

Notre Dame can be finicky over some things that most schools (even elite academic ones) could care less about. One of the more common ones I see knock them out of contention for kids in football recruiting is foreign language credits. I really don't comprehend how not having a couple years of German or French makes you an academic risk, but I'm not as smart as domers.

WiscTJK
01-12-2015, 01:11 PM
Wisko,

We definitely both want what is best for the program and for it to be successful.

With that being said, I can't wait for this season to be over. I haven't enjoyed it for the last several years, but this year, it has all boiled over for me. To me this feels like the end of the Sauer era. A change was necessary then, and it is now again, I believe. Finding positives in this years disaster has been tough for me. I am liking the progression of Jedd Soleway, and he will be a fan favorite over the next two years. Not Licari level, but close for me...

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-12-2015, 02:01 PM
You have a blog?
Yeah, he does.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

First I've heard of it.

Not Licari level, but close for me...

Things at Nick Licari's level:

An average person's sternum.
The "you must be this tall to ride" sign.
Martin Scorsese.
The crossbar.

WiscTJK
01-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Yeah, he does.

http://noalibisnoregrets.blogspot.com/

First I've heard of it.

Things at Nick Licari's level:

An average person's sternum.
The "you must be this tall to ride" sign.
Martin Scorsese.
The crossbar.

How dare you pick on my favorite player of all time! Just a joy to watch on the ice, flying around with reckless abandon and getting under other people's skin all the time. One of a very select few that have had their name chanted by the students.

Gurtholfin
01-12-2015, 02:07 PM
things at nick licari's level:

an average person's sternum.
the "you must be this tall to ride" sign.
martin scorsese.
the crossbar.

Lol :D

ExileOnDaytonStreet
01-12-2015, 02:09 PM
How dare you pick on my favorite player of all time! Just a joy to watch on the ice, flying around with reckless abandon and getting under other people's skin all the time. One of a very select few that have had their name chanted by the students.

As one of the students who chanted his name at the time, I agree. Licari was the greatest. Watching his occasional short handed breakaways was like watching my dog try to catch a squirrel: you know he'd succeed if he ever had enough time, and you're pulling for the little guy, but even the law of averages makes it hard to think it's happening any time soon. I just couldn't resist playing with your choice of words.

WiscTJK
01-12-2015, 02:21 PM
As one of the students who chanted his name at the time, I agree. Licari was the greatest. Watching his occasional short handed breakaways was like watching my dog try to catch a squirrel: you know he'd succeed if he ever had enough time, and you're pulling for the little guy, but even the law of averages makes it hard to think it's happening any time soon. I just couldn't resist playing with your choice of words.

The old 2005-06 glory days. That was a fun season. Elliot's excellence, the character and leadership of that senior class, the big Pavelski.

The pinnacle for me as I went to the Lambeau, Resch, and Bradley Center for all those great games.