PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

markwojo
01-05-2015, 01:14 PM
Not sure I can really go along on this. Earlier I posted that the Badgers had slightly more puck possession in the first two. When I scored it on replay I had 5x5 quality chances at 13-15 Tech. I had sog @ 24-49, but I also had Tech with 19 sog with a man advantage, (including 6x5 time) while obviously the only shot the Badgers had on the PP went in. That could be totally wrong but I'd like to think the advantage of replay helps some.

Probably 70% of Tech shots were pretty harmless launches from the perimeter or bad-off balance flings, and Rumps rarely gave up the rebounds. Personally I'd say Tech actually shot too much as silly as that sounds. With Rumps not giving anything back, they probably should have worked for better shots more. I agree with DC that Wisconsin was very good around their own net, better than the Huskies were. Rumps said post game it was easier than it looked out there, and upon review, excluding a couple pp chances and about the last 10 minutes where he sprinkled in some huge stops, it generally was.

Tech is a better team and had the better of play overall and took a lot of shots and created some very good chances on the pp, but I can't agree that 47-19 sog score tells the story or that Bucky was "badly outplayed." Badgers did what they wanted to do based on Friday's game which was not give up odd man rushes (they didn't), win puck battles and faceoffs, (which they did) and keep shots to the outside. (which they did mostly).

Lots to work on, but they played well enough to have a chance. That they won is a great and much needed bonus.

Then we saw the game completely different. Tech badly outplayed the Badgers and if not for a fortunate bump in the neutral zone leading to a breakaway goal and a goalie playing out of his mind (and still needing several assists from the metal), it would have been a pretty lopsided loss...maybe not 8-1 bad, but lopsided. Sure the win is a glass half full and better then being completely empty...but make no mistake...if they play like they did Sat, they will continue to loss many (most) of their games.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-05-2015, 01:41 PM
I wish I had your optimism. A bad power play turned into a goal by Soleway poking it forward to Zulinick for the goal. That was their only shot because the power play sucked up to that point. And the third period they were on their heals the whole time. But a win is a win, I guess.

Agree about the power play. Weird. Survive Jack D blowing a tire and handing it over behind our net only to have Rumps chip it to nobody and turn it over again. Davison does make a nice play getting it to Soleway up the middle and Jed had both the effort and presence of mind to chip it to Zully coming off the bench for the finish. Zully now with a 5 game point and 4 game goal streak after having something like 2 shots in the first six games.

From the 17 minute mark in the 2nd, the Badgers had the puck more, and quality chances were 8-5 UW which includes the two Tech had shorthanded on turnovers. From the Tech PP on in the third I suppose you could say they were back on their heels... but it's mostly by design. The Badgers weren't sending more than one guy in on the forecheck, as with the lead (and especially with no or little scoring punch) Eaves has pretty much always played it this way. Contest the entry, control the middle, keep shots to the outside, get it out and change up. Rinse, repeat 'til the horn sounds. Lots of folks don't like it but that's the plan. Tech certainly could have won with a little better luck, but they didn't.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-05-2015, 01:46 PM
Then we saw the game completely different. Tech badly outplayed the Badgers and if not for a fortunate bump in the neutral zone leading to a breakaway goal and a goalie playing out of his mind (and still needing several assists from the metal), it would have been a pretty lopsided loss...maybe not 8-1 bad, but lopsided. Sure the win is a glass half full and better then being completely empty...but make no mistake...if they play like they did Sat, they will continue to loss many (most) of their games.

With the murderer's row coming up, I'm milking this win for all it's worth!

Chuck Schwartz
01-05-2015, 02:18 PM
From the Tech PP on in the third I suppose you could say they were back on their heels... but it's mostly by design. The Badgers weren't sending more than one guy in on the forecheck, as with the lead (and especially with no or little scoring punch) Eaves has pretty much always played it this way. Contest the entry, control the middle, keep shots to the outside, get it out and change up. Rinse, repeat 'til the horn sounds. Lots of folks don't like it but that's the plan. Tech certainly could have won with a little better luck, but they didn't.

And this is exactly why Wisconsin has been atrocious late in games and had that lengthy drought where they didn't win an overtime game for like 2 years. When you play not to lose, you tend not to win many either. There's a difference between being responsible with the lead and going into a shell, and Wisconsin has struggled with that over the past 4 years especially.

Gandalf the Red
01-05-2015, 02:34 PM
I think the only "good" solution to this entire mess is for Eaves to resign at the end of the season. Right now by saying its time to move on and handing the reigns to BA to find a new coach and start a new era, Eaves IMHO can still save face. He did a lot of good as a coach, but he has lost the team and the fanbase. We want to remember the good times, but if he just hangs around and pretends like everything is fine and times have been worse, etc, it won't be pretty when BA finally cans him.

Sure next season might get better, but it might not too. There is something fundamentally wrong with the system that Eaves is too stubborn to recognize and adjust. Its like the problem people keep throwing money at because eventually that will solve the problem, but it never does because the money never addresses the real, underlying problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Gandalf the Red
01-05-2015, 02:40 PM
And this is exactly why Wisconsin has been atrocious late in games and had that lengthy drought where they didn't win an overtime game for like 2 years. When you play not to lose, you tend not to win many either. There's a difference between being responsible with the lead and going into a shell, and Wisconsin has struggled with that over the past 4 years especially.

I still remember the Northern Michigan collapse from January 3, 2009. Up 5-2 in the 3rd and lost 6-5 in OT. That was the definition of playing not to lose. I actually think that was worse for me as a fan then 8-1 on friday.

WiscDC
01-05-2015, 04:27 PM

So...the 2014-15 Wisconsin men's hockey team will usually lose against highly ranked opponents? I don't think anyone in here would dispute that. However, I cannot say that MTU "badly outplayed" the Badgers. They didn't score any goals. The Badgers scored one, then converted the empty-net situation.

Rumpel did have a great game. (I only remember one shot off the post, but that's a missed shot by the offense, and it's not like every hockey player is entitled to be the best shooter in the world. Yeah, it's worse to give that up than a shot that goes 2 feet wide, but you could apply that to so many events within a game. A goalie just getting a piece of the puck deflecting it back isn't much different than a post; it just makes a "ping" that is more dramatic because of where the puck changes direction.) Zulinick did score a goal. They both play for Wisconsin. Heck, when thinking objectively, I'm pretty sure MTU got the better of the officiating (which doesn't make sense, but oh well), which is a factor that, if extreme enough, warrants saying a team outplayed another team but lost, as that is out of each team's control.

Don't mistake people saying that the Badgers played a solid game by this year's standards and outplayed MTU in certain areas of the game with people saying that Wisconsin would win a 7-game series, or even let it get to 7 games at all.

WiscDC
01-05-2015, 04:41 PM
The faceoff situation seemed a lot worse than it was, looking at the box score. At some point late-ish in the game, I noticed that Tech was winning all the face-offs, and after I noticed that...Tech kept winning all the faceoffs.

Another thing I noticed was that the linesmen were even more ridiculous than they were early last year. They had the patience of sloths, and with only one exception that I can remember (the centers were practically wrestling and the official dropped the puck anyway), each linesman waited for as long as possible to drop the puck, hoping that he or his partner could kick out a center.

Another thing: The band played "Rock and Roll Part 2" at both games this weekend. When they played it during intermission on Friday night, I figured they just said, "screw it, let's try different things - anything - as it won't get worse." On Saturday, they played it during the third period, so that was pretty fun. The only times I've heard the band play that song before were 2 women's hockey games (WCHA playoffs) in 2012, a few volleyball games (I think only this year, but maybe last year too), at football games only this year, and at the spring concert. (2014 football and the spring concert are the only times I've seen Mike Leckrone direct it.) I had heard that they never ever ever ever ever play it at hockey games anymore because it was cursed or something. I guess not, as the Badgers somehow held on to their lead. "Beer Barrel Polka" is cursed at men's hockey, however. That's a fact.

Lastly, isn't it amazing how much of the crowd sticks around when there's a hockey game rather than a tire fire on the playing surface? I have no expectations for this upcoming weekend, but I do hope we at least get a couple of hockey games.

Badger Booster
01-05-2015, 08:58 PM
Saturday night's game was the kind of game I thought there would be more of this year, especially against quality teams. Badgers seemingly out-manned and/or out-played for a good chunk of the game...but Rumpel stands on his head (and a little help from the pipe/crossbar) and they do just enough to win the game.

What happened on Friday was completely unacceptable. While Eaves has chalked this up to extra time off and not used to the pace, there shouldn't ever be that kind of beat down at home. How are you not ready to play that game!? Has the program never been in that situation before? It's the only men's game I've been to this year and I was extremely disappointed by the whole experience. To quote my 10-year old niece who was all amped up to see a men's game, "This is embarrassing."

It was really nice to see them come back the next night with the win (especially on national TV), but that effort should be the norm, not the exception.

burd
01-06-2015, 06:24 AM
I'm sure it feels good to get a win against a team as talented as Tech, but unless you think Eaves can turn things completely around, I wonder if wins like might be exactly what the program does not need at this point. Cynical and heartless thing to say, but what good can come of any amount of renewed confidence in this coach? It certainly is good medicine for current players and future recruits, but if I'm a Badger fan I might be concerned about how a limited resurgence will influence BA and the athletic committee (or whoever makes those decisions). Maybe it doesn't work that way, but even if it does, it's an awful dam thing to say.

Gandalf the Red
01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
I'm sure it feels good to get a win against a team as talented as Tech, but unless you think Eaves can turn things completely around, I wonder if wins like might be exactly what the program does not need at this point. Cynical and heartless thing to say, but what good can come of any amount of renewed confidence in this coach? It certainly is good medicine for current players and future recruits, but if I'm a Badger fan I might be concerned about how a limited resurgence will influence BA and the athletic committee (or whoever makes those decisions). Maybe it doesn't work that way, but even if it does, it's an awful dam thing to say.

I actually thought the same thing when I saw the score, and knew it was cynical and heartless but I don't want Eaves to get credit for something he frankly doesn't deserve at this point.

WiscTJK
01-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Kind of like when your team is bad in the NBA and NFL, they might as well keep losing in hopes of getting the #1 pick the next year or getting a change in leadership. I have been thinking this too, but decided not to post it. I am glad I not the only one to have this thought! I still think it might be my negativity getting the best of me.

Gurtholfin
01-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Oh... there's no question I want the wheels to completely come off as I feel short term pain is necessary for the needed long term solution.

I won't actively root against my team, but I just don't see the AD seeing the problem without it being a problem of nuclear proportions.

purpleinnebraska
01-06-2015, 09:26 AM

But what if he doesn't go? As a Minnesota Wild fan, I thought our losing by 27 goals on Saturday would finally get the coach fired, but here we are 2 days later, and we still have a lousy coach, but now I'm also a fan of a lousy team. Double loss for me, but Yeo's still getting paid. How many more losses will I have to cheer for before we can get a new coach and I can start cheering for wins again?

You may end up cheering for a bunch Badger losses, and at the end of the year you might have nothing to show for it except...a bunch of losses.

Wisko McBadgerton
01-06-2015, 10:12 AM
I actually thought the same thing when I saw the score, and knew it was cynical and heartless but I don't want Eaves to get credit for something he frankly doesn't deserve at this point.

The coach doesn't deserve any credit when the team wins, but does deserve it all when it loses... Am I understanding you correctly?

Kind of like when your team is bad in the NBA and NFL, they might as well keep losing in hopes of getting the #1 pick the next year or getting a change in leadership. I have been thinking this too, but decided not to post it. I am glad I not the only one to have this thought! I still think it might be my negativity getting the best of me.

Don't worry, it hasn't been a secret.

Personally I've never once wanted the Packers, Bucks, or Brewers to lose any game ever regardless of how it might appear to help in the future. Don't care if they lost 100 in a row, the job today is still to win today and if you're hoping for anything else, you're inviting in the exact opposite of what you want the program to be. Same applies to the Badgers. If they were to lose the next dozen straight and yet somehow miraculously win the B1G tournament, there are definitely a lot of fans that would be ****ed at that, which I personally find disconcerting. God forbid they won a tourney game. Disastrous!

Gurtholfin
01-06-2015, 10:16 AM
Again... I don't think anyone is cheering for losses. It's just, if you're gonna lose, let's make the pain worth something.

I don't follow the Wild, so don't know how people feel about Yeo and whether this is a new(er) situation. The grumbling on Eaves has been building for several years at least.

Talk in Chicago mid Bears season was similar to what others describe - the team doing just well enough so that nothing changes. The "experts" down there were sure that Trestman (sp?) would get another year.

He didn't... so we can hope.

Gurtholfin
01-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Wisko - Do you just like to take the contrarian position or are you related to Eaves?

:D

Wisko McBadgerton
01-06-2015, 11:01 AM
Wisko - Do you just like to take the contrarian position or are you related to Eaves?

:D

Close. I'm Barry's lawn boy in Naples. He let's me make most of the Hockey decisions though because he's not really interested. Says he's not a hockey guy.

So I've got that going for me.

mnstate0fhockey
01-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Again... I don't think anyone is cheering for losses. It's just, if you're gonna lose, let's make the pain worth something.

I don't follow the Wild, so don't know how people feel about Yeo and whether this is a new(er) situation. The grumbling on Eaves has been building for several years at least.

Talk in Chicago mid Bears season was similar to what others describe - the team doing just well enough so that nothing changes. The "experts" down there were sure that Trestman (sp?) would get another year.

He didn't... so we can hope.

I think what the Wild are experiencing is different than what the Badgers are going thru. I blame what is happening with the Wild much more on the players on the ice.

But I completely understand what you are trying to say Gurt. If your team is going to be a dumpster fire, at least make that pain mean something by having something meaningful come of it.

That said, with how uninspired we've been playing lately, I wouldn't be overly surprised if you sweep us in a few weeks.

Gurtholfin
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
That said, with how uninspired we've been playing lately, I wouldn't be overly surprised if you sweep us in a few weeks.

LOL!

Is the river rising or something?

No... we are historically terrible.