X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
    Another thought I had after this past weekend: The idea that Wisconsin hockey is "boring" is ridiculous.
    Lol well...

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Lol well...
      Lol well...if you don't like hockey, I guess it's not exciting. Friday's game could have been half as exciting and worth the price of admission. Even if they did play the "boring" style, I've never seen it as boring. I guess I actually like hockey.

Comment

Lol well...if you don't like hockey, I guess it's not exciting. Friday's game could have been half as exciting and worth the price of admission. Even if they did play the "boring" style, I've never seen it as boring. I guess I actually like hockey.
        Good luck with that argument. Evidently, some people don't think it's hockey unless you refuse to play defense until your opponent is onside.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Hockey is fun. Dump and chase is not my favorite style - Friday was hard to watch. They carried the puck in and passed better on Saturday and the game was fun to watch other than the last 10 minutes.
          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            Good luck with that argument. Evidently, some people don't think it's hockey unless you refuse to play defense until your opponent is onside.
            While I understand the lament over the loss of fire wagon hockey, (it was lots of fun!) I'm often struck by how I (and others) point to the Cornell OT game as the best (or at least, one of the best) hockey game(s) ever. Almost two games in one and 1 goal scored-- Sure there were 100 shots, but it was more like two 30-20 shot games... But to me it was a real thing of beauty the way Gilbert and co. stopped rush after rush cold at the blue line leaving the puck to drift harmlessly on into the zone. Some folks just don't seem to recognize how hard that is to do all day long, how much skill and discipline it takes, and how it is the backbone strategy of what made the '06 (and the '10) team so tough to beat. Puck luck can be fleeting, but great D can be reliable.

I love the fact that goofs revel in labeling it 'boring', because underlying that, is frustration in how their high-flying teams have such a hard time playing against it. On the other hand, I can't help but feel that some Badger fans that do the same, could be missing out a little on how great defense can be great to watch, provided you take the time to really understand what's going on.

Having said that, there's going to be quite a bit of firepower on campus over the next couple years, and I wouldn't be expecting to see many 1-0 games going forward. There are signs already that we will be pressuring more up front and playing a bit more of an open game which will probably be more satisfying to many, and to me as well, as long as it eventually produces wins.
            Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-14-2014, 09:35 AM.
            Originally posted by WiscTJK
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.
            Originally posted by Timothy A
            Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

That's the funny part. The folks to our left who claim to know hockey better than the rest of us don't seem to understand defense.

I'll be the first to say that I hate watching the trap - which is also a funny thing about our friends to the left as they don't seem to mind when the Wild does it... I digress - and would prefer the Badgers to play a more attacking style.

Personally though, I can't stand wide open, no defensive responsibility hockey - pond hockey - when played away from the pond. It grates me to watch it coz as a defenseman I just see the breakdowns and missed assignments and a goalie hung out to dry. Missed assignments that we wouldn't have allowed uncorrected in youth hockey, let alone college.

There is a happy medium though and I wish the Badgers would move towards that. Not because our friends to the left would enjoy it more - heck, they wouldn't even recognize or acknowledge the change - but because I would.

To be honest, the 1-1-3 is nearly unwatchable and I can't imagine why any coach would want to use it or why any kid would want to come here to play it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

I love the fact that goofs revel in labeling it 'boring', because underlying that, is frustration in how their high-flying teams have such a hard time playing against it.

That's always funny too. If your team can't impose their will and get the style to their liking... too ****ing bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  To be honest, the 1-1-3 is nearly unwatchable and I can't imagine why any coach would want to use it or why any kid would want to come here to play it.
                  I thought Eaves implemented a different forecheck last weekend? Maybe Chuck could do a little tutorial like he did explaining the 1 1 3 a few years ago.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                    I thought Eaves implemented a different forecheck last weekend?

I'm aware.

Doesn't excuse having ever used it.

Comment

Honestly, the most boring thing about the Badgers was never the defense, but the lack of originality in getting into the zone. The same lack of originality that we often see on the power play.

Dump, chase, struggle to regain possession because we rarely have players that are really good at passing... THAT'S what is hard to watch .

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Comment

Honestly, the most boring thing about the Badgers was never the defense, but the lack of originality in getting into the zone. The same lack of originality that we often see on the power play.

Dump, chase, struggle to regain possession because we rarely have players that are really good at passing... THAT'S what is hard to watch .

I would say all of the neutral zone play - which would include the fall back, prevent defense that is the trap.

If you're attacking there on any level, it will lead to easier zone entries assuming you force turnovers.

Comment

I'll be the first to say that I hate watching the trap - which is also a funny thing about our friends to the left as they don't seem to mind when the Wild does it... I digress - and would prefer the Badgers to play a more attacking style.
                          I am so happy the Wild are considered the in-market team for Wisconsin for the NHL package. They are one of the few NHL teams, I dislike too watch. If the NHL ever changes it for Wisconsin to the Blackhawks I will be canceling the NHL.

With that being said, I understand why outsiders who have no attachment to UW hockey find it boring. My suggestion and practice, if you don't like it.....don't watch it.

Comment

That's always funny too. If your team can't impose their will and get the style to their liking... too ****ing bad.
                            And that's the very point.

Play the style that gives you the best chance for the win.

Jacque Lemaire would often dismiss critics of his defensive style of coaching, correctly observing that you need the right players to play an up-tempo style. If you don't have the horses for that style, you'll get crushed trying play it.

The Badgers, like the Wild of the Lenaire era, are working with what they got.

Comment

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              I am so happy the Wild are considered the in-market team for Wisconsin for the NHL package. They are one of the few NHL teams, I dislike too watch. If the NHL ever changes it for Wisconsin to the Blackhawks I will be canceling the NHL.
                              Huh?

Originally posted by bucky15 View Post
                              With that being said, I understand why outsiders who have no attachment to UW hockey find it boring. My suggestion and practice, if you don't like it.....don't watch it.
                              An option that more and more are taking...

Comment

Huh?
                                I'm still trying to piece it together myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X