This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UWisco View Post
    This bad season isn't all on Eaves. I know most of it is but the players haven't helped at all. Ford jumping ship kind of proves this. Obviously he's a bit of a quitter. But I still do wish him the best of luck in the future.
    Why would you wish him luck?
    Originally posted by SJHovey
    Pretty sure this post, made on January 3, 2016, when UNO was 14-3-1 and #2 in the pairwise, will go down in USCHO lore as The Curse of Tipsy McStagger.
    Originally posted by Brenthoven
    We mourn for days after a loss, puff out our chests for a week or more after we win. We brave the cold for tailgates, our friends know not to ask about the game after a tough loss, we laugh, we cry, we BLEED hockey, specifically the maroon'n'gold. Many of us have a tattoo waiting in the wings, WHEN (not IF) the Gophers are champions again.

Comment

• Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
      Really though? We're talking about a young adult here, if there's any time in his life that playing hockey should be about enjoying the experience it's now. Also, if he felt his time or talent was being wasted then he should have every right to up and leave and the scrutiny should fall on the program.
      The time to enjoy playing hockey was when he was in mites and pee-wees. By the time you accept a college scholarship it stops being all about fun, and more about growing yourself.

Losing isn't fun, it never is, but it is a time that puts ones character on display. When you walk away from adversity, taking he easy option, you are letting yourself down more than anyone. Sometimes that's one of those lessions that only experience can teach (I know that I learned that lession at the hands of time and experience). Not many 18 year olds have the ability to recognize the importance of finding the truth in the hard earned wisdom of others.

Comment

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by Tipsy McStagger View Post
        Why would you wish him luck?
        Because he had two assists. We're not monsters.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

well that sucks about Keegan leaving...What can you do? The AD doesn't care about hockey, the team is 1-10-1 with things trending down over the past several years, no-one seems to be sure whether the assistants are very good and Eaves is a hard-*** who apparently rubs a lot of players the wrong way...Of course Parise liked playing for Eaves but that was over the course of one WJC...what if he had to play for a Harbough type for 2 years or more? Generally the hard guy thing loses it's lustre (if in fact it ever had any) and kids tune out.

Time for regime change.

Calling Don Granato, calling Mark Osiecki...any others come to mind?
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
            Really though? We're talking about a young adult here, if there's any time in his life that playing hockey should be about enjoying the experience it's now. Also, if he felt his time or talent was being wasted then he should have every right to up and leave and the scrutiny should fall on the program.
            At some point, you have to quit looking at them like a pee wee player. Yes, he has every right to do what he wants... but there are also consequences for such decisions. You quit on your team at mid-season and you are going to put your character and mental toughness into question. If he wants to play hockey simply for kicks, then go play intramural.

If he sticks with it, he basically deals with it three more months. Is that tough? Hardly. If he finishes it out, he develops some character for seeing it through and people don't see him as a quitter that can't take the adversity. Any future coach he might have is going to have to wonder, "Is this kid going to quit on me and his team here too?"
            University of Minnesota

Twitter: Hammy Hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammy View Post
              At some point, you have to quit looking at them like a pee wee player. Yes, he has every right to do what he wants... but there are also consequences for such decisions. You quit on your team at mid-season and you are going to put your character and mental toughness into question. If he wants to play hockey simply for kicks, then go play intramural.

If he sticks with it, he basically deals with it three more months. Is that tough? Hardly. If he finishes it out, he develops some character for seeing it through and people don't see him as a quitter that can't take the adversity. Any future coach he might have is going to have to wonder, "Is this kid going to quit on me and his team here too?"
              Agree 100%. Hate seeing kids bail mid season. Play the season out, re-evaluate, then make a move if you want. Leaving mid-season is taking a crap on your teammates.

Just my $0.02
              @MNState0fHockey on Twitter
              On the Web at www.mnhockeycentral.com
              High School, Gophers, and Wild News on Facebook at Minnesota Hockey Central

Comment

Originally posted by lmg6841 View Post
                He's also stupidly throwing away a 4 yr scholarship to one of the best universities in the country, very short sighted. He can't see that they have more talent coming in next year and that things are going to get better? Very short sighted. He doesn't see all these former UW D playing in the nhl? Sure, he may not be as talented, but the potential is there to become one. Very short sighted. He doesn't see the value in taking some lumps as a Fr playing in every game so his next 3 years can be the best they can be? Very short sighted. One of my sons is also the short sighted type, it drives me crazy. Can you tell?
                Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                  He's also stupidly throwing away a 4 yr scholarship to one of the best universities in the country, very short sighted. He can't see that they have more talent coming in next year and that things are going to get better? Very short sighted. He doesn't see all these former UW D playing in the nhl? Sure, he may not be as talented, but the potential is there to become one. Very short sighted. He doesn't see the value in taking some lumps as a Fr playing in every game so his next 3 years can be the best they can be? Very short sighted. One of my sons is also the short sighted type, it drives me crazy. Can you tell?
                  A paid for degree for a guy his physical size is what he should have been aiming for. Not too many defense men his size playing NHL

Comment

Timmy, did somebody steal your computer? That post is very unlike you.

Unless you are walking in his shoes, you cannot criticize. (I guess you can, but it doesn't hold water.) No one knows what he's going thru'. If you, #1, don't like your job, #2, you're miserable, and #3, you hate getting out of bed to go to work, you ****ing quit and find something else.

Within the past 5 years, I left a lucrative position for the above reasons. $$$ was good, but #1, #2, and #3 were killing me. I wasn't considered a quitter and ford shouldn't be. I think he probably sat down with Pat, told him wazzup, wasn't happy and moved on.

EDIT: I'm not a touchy, feely, coom by ya , kind of guy, so don't lay that on me!!
                    Last edited by MadCityRich; 12-09-2014, 08:19 PM.
                    "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                      Unless you are walking in his shoes, you cannot criticize. (I guess you can, but it doesn't hold water.) No one knows what he's going thru'. If you, #1, don't like your job, #2, you're miserable, and #3, you hate getting out of bed to go to work, you ****ing quit and find something else.

Within the past 5 years, I left a lucrative position for the above reasons. $$$ was good, but #1, #2, and #3 were killing me. I wasn't considered a quitter and ford shouldn't be. I think he probably sat down with Pat, told him wazzup, wasn't happy and moved on.
                      I think what people are upset about is the selfishness of the decision.
                      WISCONSIN BADGERS
                      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                        I think what people are upset about is the selfishness of the decision.
                        Respectfully, I don't see it.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

• Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
                          Respectfully, I don't see it.
                          Ditching the team mid-season because he didn't like how they were performing saying it wasn't fun anymore? Seems selfish to me.

BTW, Ford was probably the 7th best defenseman on the team. Davison and Linhart definitely outperformed him.

Speaking of Linhart, I really like how he plays.
                          WISCONSIN BADGERS
                          NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                          WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                          WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                          B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                          Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

I pretty much agree with all you guys, including the gofers and touchy-feely, MCR.

Which pretty much just tells that I don't know a **** thing about it.
                            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Hey, here's something that will raise a few spirits around here!

Which one of you jokers is behind this?
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                                Hey, here's something that will raise a few spirits around here!

Which one of you jokers is behind this?
                                I'm curious to see what kind of support "Mike Eave's" gets. Jesus. If you're going to write that at least have a brain.

Comment

Working...
                                X