PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

UWisco
12-09-2014, 03:44 PM
Chuck/Andy, what CHL team owns the rights to him?

Probably none.

Almington
12-09-2014, 03:46 PM
Staring at a likely 1-17-1 is probably pretty sobering while playing in a mostly empty building.

Gotta think morale in general is at a real low.

What morale, I can't say us fans have much of that left either.

I'm gonna say this right now: If the team finishes with fewer than 10 wins and the the decision making powers bring Eaves back after this season, I'm done with UW athletics completely.

SanTropez
12-09-2014, 03:51 PM
Fewer than 10 wins? That a joke? That's a given.

Paint thinner consumption is at an all time high over in cheese land.

Almington
12-09-2014, 03:55 PM
Fewer than 10 wins? That a joke? That's a given.

Paint thinner consumption is at an all time high over in cheese land.

Yes, if fewer than 10 wins AND eaves isn't canned.

Basically, it's an out if this team miraculously turns it around and eaves isn't ejected.

UWisco
12-09-2014, 04:01 PM
This bad season isn't all on Eaves. I know most of it is but the players haven't helped at all. Ford jumping ship kind of proves this. Obviously he's a bit of a quitter. But I still do wish him the best of luck in the future.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-09-2014, 04:09 PM
. Obviously he's a bit of a quitter.

There's nothing obvious at all about his situation. In fact, the opposite.

UWisco
12-09-2014, 04:10 PM
With Ford leaving, is there a possibility UW brings in another defenseman mid-season? Right now we have 6 actual D-men with Hurley being the "7th" one. Kind of walking the line there.

boblav1
12-09-2014, 04:12 PM
Chuck/Andy, what CHL team owns the rights to him?

Ford is heading back to Dubuque.
http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/news_article/show/455730

Timothy A
12-09-2014, 04:24 PM
With Ford leaving, is there a possibility UW brings in another defenseman mid-season? Right now we have 6 actual D-men with Hurley being the "7th" one. Kind of walking the line there.

I hope not, let's get the classes balanced one player at a time.

One thing I found revealing in Blake's commentary is that he said Eaves was "a hard coach to play for", demanding excellence on and off the ice. I have some advice for Keegan, the teachers I hated the most in school were the ones who pushed me the hardest, and at the time it made me mad, but looking back they made me better. He's blowing it here.

burd
12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I hope not, let's get the classes balanced one player at a time.

One thing I found revealing in Blake's commentary is that he said Eaves was "a hard coach to play for", demanding excellence on and off the ice. I have some advice for Keegan, the teachers I hated the most in school were the ones who pushed me the hardest, and at the time it made me mad, but looking back they made me better. He's blowing it here.

I recall Zach Parise saying after he played for Eaves in World Juniors, that he was the best coach he had played for in terms of preparation.

Hammy
12-09-2014, 04:42 PM
Admittedly, I don't know all his reasons (if there are more serious reasons than what is being stated, I can understand it.) But if he is just leaving because the team is struggling and it isn't "fun", then I have no respect for the decision. You finish out the season with the team and then you can decide to leave.

I can't stand players who bail out at mid-season for no other reason than it just isn't going their way. Show some character and tough it out. Life isn't always going to go your way. You better learn how to deal with some tough times or you are going to be screwed. Leaving your teammates and coach in an even more difficult spot at mid-season doesn't say much about your character.

Chuck Schwartz
12-09-2014, 05:08 PM
Admittedly, I don't know all his reasons (if there are more serious reasons than what is being stated, I can understand it.) But if he is just leaving because the team is struggling and it isn't "fun", then I have no respect for the decision. You finish out the season with the team and then you can decide to leave.

I can't stand players who bail out at mid-season for no other reason than it just isn't going their way. Show some character and tough it out. Life isn't always going to go your way. You better learn how to deal with some tough times or you are going to be screwed. Leaving your teammates and coach in an even more difficult spot at mid-season doesn't say much about your character.

There were no more serious issues than what has been publicly stated.

lmg6841
12-09-2014, 05:21 PM

Really though? We're talking about a young adult here, if there's any time in his life that playing hockey should be about enjoying the experience it's now. Also, if he felt his time or talent was being wasted then he should have every right to up and leave and the scrutiny should fall on the program.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-09-2014, 05:42 PM
Really though? We're talking about a young adult here, if there's any time in his life that playing hockey should be about enjoying the experience it's now. Also, if he felt his time or talent was being wasted then he should have every right to up and leave and the scrutiny should fall on the program.

As an adult he has every right to make any decision he wants. But not without consequences. Just one of which is someone questioning his character.

bucky15
12-09-2014, 05:47 PM
Ford is heading back to Dubuque.
http://www.dubuquefightingsaints.com/news_article/show/455730

I was just curious, because going to college is not for everyone. I thought there was a chance he just wanted to try his hand at only hockey. It will be interesting to see what college he ends up at.

Tipsy McStagger
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
This bad season isn't all on Eaves. I know most of it is but the players haven't helped at all. Ford jumping ship kind of proves this. Obviously he's a bit of a quitter. But I still do wish him the best of luck in the future.

Why would you wish him luck?

Almington
12-09-2014, 05:56 PM

The time to enjoy playing hockey was when he was in mites and pee-wees. By the time you accept a college scholarship it stops being all about fun, and more about growing yourself.

Losing isn't fun, it never is, but it is a time that puts ones character on display. When you walk away from adversity, taking he easy option, you are letting yourself down more than anyone. Sometimes that's one of those lessions that only experience can teach (I know that I learned that lession at the hands of time and experience). Not many 18 year olds have the ability to recognize the importance of finding the truth in the hard earned wisdom of others.

Wisko McBadgerton
12-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Why would you wish him luck?

Because he had two assists. We're not monsters.

solovsfett
12-09-2014, 06:33 PM
well that sucks about Keegan leaving...What can you do? The AD doesn't care about hockey, the team is 1-10-1 with things trending down over the past several years, no-one seems to be sure whether the assistants are very good and Eaves is a hard-*** who apparently rubs a lot of players the wrong way...Of course Parise liked playing for Eaves but that was over the course of one WJC...what if he had to play for a Harbough type for 2 years or more? Generally the hard guy thing loses it's lustre (if in fact it ever had any) and kids tune out.

Time for regime change.

Calling Don Granato, calling Mark Osiecki...any others come to mind?

Hammy
12-09-2014, 07:14 PM

At some point, you have to quit looking at them like a pee wee player. Yes, he has every right to do what he wants... but there are also consequences for such decisions. You quit on your team at mid-season and you are going to put your character and mental toughness into question. If he wants to play hockey simply for kicks, then go play intramural.

If he sticks with it, he basically deals with it three more months. Is that tough? Hardly. If he finishes it out, he develops some character for seeing it through and people don't see him as a quitter that can't take the adversity. Any future coach he might have is going to have to wonder, "Is this kid going to quit on me and his team here too?"