X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
    They played well last night so a few wins will happen.
    how many wins do you suspect they'll get? enough to compare favorably to the legacy of UW Hockey? or enough to save his job?
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
      how many wins do you suspect they'll get? enough to compare favorably to the legacy of UW Hockey? or enough to save his job?
      Probably the latter. But hey, miracles do happen.
      WISCONSIN BADGERS
      NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
      WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
      WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
      B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
      Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

"As we told the young men in that room after the game, right now we're not measuring ourselves in wins and losses," Eaves said. "We're measuring ourselves in growth. And we had good growth tonight.

"I thought we had great energy. We legitimately had a chance to find a way to win that game. We just didn't get it done."

AHEM...EXCEPT WINS AND LOSSES ARE THE ULTIMATE MEASURE OF YOUR TEAM!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          "As we told the young men in that room after the game, right now we're not measuring ourselves in wins and losses," Eaves said. "We're measuring ourselves in growth. And we had good growth tonight.

"I thought we had great energy. We legitimately had a chance to find a way to win that game. We just didn't get it done."

AHEM...EXCEPT WINS AND LOSSES ARE THE ULTIMATE MEASURE OF YOUR TEAM!
          Just out of curiosity, coming into this season, looking at the roster, and setting aside the Bob Johnson Legacy for a moment, how many wins did you expect we'd have for the year?
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they could have at least split against the Alaska schools, Colorado schools and Northern Michigan. Even with getting swept against a good North Dakota team, that would put them at 3-5. Certainly not great, but I could see it as a work in progress. To be winless going into Thanksgiving weekend is hard to comprehend.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Just out of curiosity, coming into this season, looking at the roster, and setting aside the Bob Johnson Legacy for a moment, how many wins did you expect we'd have for the year?
              To be forthright I expected a .500 season, so 17-18 regular season wins. They now have to go 17-10 for the remainder of the season to achieve that modest goal and I really do not see that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                You ask that as if the roster just fell out of a Magic 8 Ball. So let me ask you: since your question is dependent on an implication that the roster is somewhat barren, when will you stop trying to **** shine a turd and instead start questioning the guy responsible for, by premise of your own question, the weak roster?
                I wish I am able to live long enough to do all the things I was attributed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                  I just don't think it's unreasonable to expect that they could have at least split against the Alaska schools, Colorado schools and Northern Michigan. Even with getting swept against a good North Dakota team, that would put them at 3-5. Certainly not great, but I could see it as a work in progress. To be winless going into Thanksgiving weekend is hard to comprehend.
                  Absolutely agree with this.

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                    Since solo agrees I'll just respond to this one by saying I think that's fair enough and I'm equally disappointed to be winless at this point.

As to going 17-10 the rest of the way, agree as well, and obviously it's difficult for even the most optimistic to make much of a case otherwise, however I'm encouraged by the play @ DU, a game in which the Badgers had the better of play most of the way and probably deserved a better outcome against a very good team on the road. First time this year LaBate led from the front, with even Pio fan's commenting that DU needed to track him. Now whether that game represents a big step forward, or is merely an anomaly remains to be seen, probably judged by how play goes this upcoming weekend. If it's the former, I don't think 17-10 is impossible yet, although it's obviously going to be uphill the whole way, especially given the schedule. Even PSU following, is no cupcake by any definition, and it's going to only get tougher from there.

As an aside, I do have to say that I think that folks in general overestimate the impact of (even very good) freshman, especially on scoring. Of the last 350 names to appear on the season ending top 50 in points list, only 16 (4%) were freshman. 6 are still in school and 9 of the other 10 have all logged NHL time already. Only gofer, Rau, is still in school, only Sue, Grimaldi, made his NHL debut earlier. DU's Joey LaLeggia is obviously still on that team as is Riley Barber in Miami. I imagine Kerdiles might have made the list had he not been out the first 10 games, but obviously, he's gone. The thing is, sometimes I feel like folks expect to have 3-4 of these guys in a class, when the fact is they are an extreme rarity in NCAA hockey. I'd also note that as hockey is not played in an individual bubble, some of these guys peaked in points their freshman years, presumably at least partly because of players they were surrounded with.
                    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-24-2014, 10:11 AM.
                    I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by XYZ View Post
                      You ask that as if the roster just fell out of a Magic 8 Ball. So let me ask you: since your question is dependent on an implication that the roster is somewhat barren, when will you stop trying to **** shine a turd and instead start questioning the guy responsible for, by premise of your own question, the weak roster?
                      You assume a lot. There are two separate things to discuss here. 1.) the play, expectations, etc. of the team we actually have on the ice this season. 2.) Issues with Eaves and the program. The answer to the question of this season's expected record is not "Fire Eaves", it's a number. You want to con-volute the two things into one, and I don't.

If I were the arbiter of all things (and I'm not suggesting I'm not, btw.) I would prefer to discuss Eaves in the long standing 'Fire Eaves' thread and discuss this team a bit more here as post after post of complaining about Eaves has a tendency to discourage other posters from discussing play of this team after awhile. And frankly, even if Eaves is fired today, the roster isn't changing and this season is going to continue with these guys for good or ill. At the least I'd prefer folks shared their ideas and insights into both issues with some recognition of their difference. These kids didn't have anything to do with recruiting imbalances, they're here to play. Having said that I certainly welcome any constructive discussions about anything. It's a free country. Fire away folks.
                      I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                        These kids didn't have anything to do with recruiting imbalances, they're here to play. Having said that I certainly welcome any constructive discussions about anything. It's a free country. Fire away folks.

I don't see anybody blaming the kids and even if they were, I doubt the players read this board.

The state of the program is 100% on Eaves and the AD who doesn't give a ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          I don't see anybody blaming the kids and even if they were, I doubt the players read this board.

The state of the program is 100% on Eaves and the AD who doesn't give a ****.
                          Didn't say they were, just saying that the actual team, and the state of the program, are two different things. I do see a few attempts at semi-positive statements (I don't mean by me, I love conflict.) about the first, being met with derision regarding the second.

Edit: The players might or might not, but surely your not suggesting the administration does?
                          Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-24-2014, 10:58 AM.
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Navin should be in his 2nd year at UW, not his 4th. Who does that fall on? Eaves and the unbalanced classes. He was brought in way too early. He was brought in after playing high school hockey in WAUPACA and coming off a knee injury. He never stood a chance to develop. The teams Waupaca plays on a regular basis are at the Minnesota metro JV level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                              I think you'd be surpised who reads what.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Schwartz View Post
                                I think you'd be surprised who reads what.
                                Yeah, for example if Eaves had the good sense to sign me last year and we were 8-0, I'd drop in here occasionally to hear you guys talk about how awesome I am.

I'd also guess since there are relatively few places discussing Badger hockey, this thread gets perused by recruits, potential recruits, and players fairly often. In other words: Boesser is probably my fault.

Sorry guys...
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Working...
                                X