This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Hockey: Episode XXXI: A New Hope

There are plenty of arguments to make about the program but as far as this team goes, comparing it to last year's MN team with 8 freshman isn't any of them. Do you really think returning upperclassmen skaters Navin, LaBate, Paape, Zulinick, and Drake, Shulze and injured Wittchow (combined 54pts.) is the same as last year's MN returning upperclassmen skaters Rau, Warning, Boyd, Condon, Ambroz, Marshall, Serratore, Holl and Parenteau (combined over 200 pts.)? Probably count sophomore Mike Reilly as he was one of the top D-men in the country.

All kinds of points to be made about why we're in this situation of course, but you can't just look at the # of freshman on two teams and draw a conclusion from it. MN had 10 very experienced and very good upperclassmen skaters back. We have 0 upperclassmen with any real top two line credentials. It's not even apples and oranges.
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 11-22-2014, 11:25 AM.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      There are plenty of arguments to make about the program but as far as this team goes, comparing it to last year's MN team with 8 freshman isn't any of them. Do you really think returning upperclassmen skaters Navin, LaBate, Paape, Zulinick, and Drake, Shulze and injured Wittchow (combined 54pts.) is the same as last year's MN returning upperclassmen skaters Rau, Warning, Boyd, Condon, Ambroz, Marshall, Serratore, Holl and Parenteau (combined over 200 pts.)? Probably count sophomore Mike Reilly as he was one of the top D-men in the country.

All kinds of points to be made about why we're in this situation of course, but you can't just look at the # of freshman on two teams and draw a conclusion from it. MN had 10 very experienced and very good upperclassmen skaters back. We have 0 upperclassmen with top two line time. It's not even apples and oranges.
      Then that begs the question of who recruited this group of under performing upperclassmen? You guessed it...the Neutral Zone Trap King himself...Coach Eaves!

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
        i have to agree with madcityrich on this one. Freshmen have been playing and prospering at the d1 level as long as i can remember. I am so sick of hearing this time and space garbage. These guys have all played enough hockey that this adjustment should not take this long. What freshmen do is make occasional mistakes, this team is getting dominated across the board including upperclassmen.

It is time for barry to write the check to right the ship.....meaning pay mike eaves to go away!
        this!
        Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          "Shadenfreude"....awesome word. I'll have to have my son translate that when he gets up this AM. I only took German for 1 year in HS. I wanted to take it for 3 years, but we moved and the new school only had Spanish, so I got stuck taking that for 1 year. But hey, how many people can brag they are kinda fluent in 3 lingos?

Solo, you sure are depressed not to take joy in the rodent's loss. Anytime the rodents get embarrassed it's awesome. Of course it looks a little silly to take a shot @ the rodents when UW just lost convincingly to a team just as bad as they are, but it's the rodents. Remember Holy Cross? HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Also the rodent women's team only had 54 sog against Kato last night, UW had 68 on them just a week before (boy did I want 70). Take THAT you stinking rodents.

If you want a little comic relief, check out the game thread from last night, Wisko was at his best.

The magic elixir, besides paint thinner and Wisko, is the Women's program. I'd be way more upset right now if I didn't have the memory of a 16-2 combined drubbing of Mankato still fresh in my head. Will the combined records of the men's and women's teams be over .500? The pressure is sure on the gals right now, but I think they will be up to the task.
          yeah, what can I say, Minnesota could have gotten pounded 10-0 by Granato's U-18 team and I'd still feel empty because UW is 0-7 and I don't see an bright spots right now at all.

I may need to go to more women's games and let my season's lapse for the men

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

Originally posted by oldtyme25 View Post
            Then that begs the question of who recruited this group of under performing upperclassmen? You guessed it...the Neutral Zone Trap King himself...Coach Eaves!
            Like I said, you have plenty of arguments to make, and things to complain about, but comparing this team to last year's MN team is just silly. Change 5 freshman out for Kerdiles, McCabe, Zengele, Barnes, and Mersch and you would have a similar situation as to what the Goof's had last year. Not hard to imagine Hughes and Rockwood having several points each already playing with those type of guys.
            I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Like I said, you have plenty of arguments to make, and things to complain about, but comparing this team to last year's MN team is just silly. Change 5 freshman out for Kerdiles, McCabe, Zengele, Barnes, and Mersch and you would have a similar situation as to what the Goof's had last year. Not hard to imagine Hughes and Rockwood having several points each already playing with those type of guys.
              Respectfully I'll agree to disagree. Wisko, I love your enthusiasm and passion. I really have it, too. But reality is setting in and changes need to be made. If my sister had balls, she'd be my brother....ifs.....ands....buts....we don't have those guys you mention.

Compare THEIR freshmen and sophomores to ours...it's not that you can't compare them, there IS no comparison.

Trust me; I'm not a gopher honk. I hate the ****ers, but respect them. I've been to the old Williams Arena many times, where I had Cokes "spilled" on me, Boy Scouts make faces at me, and generally been harassed by the fan base (not complaining, I love it. Returned the favor here in Madison. ).

I realize when things aren't even close to going well.
              Last edited by MadCityRich; 11-22-2014, 12:11 PM.
              "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Wisconsin hockey: Stuck in the -- blizzard

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post

Compare THEIR freshmen and sophomores to ours...it's not that you can't compare them, there IS no comparison.
                  Last year through 7 games gofer freshman had 7 of 31 goals. (22.5%)

Badger Freshman through 7 games have 3 of 9 goals (33%) The problem here isn't really the talent level of the top 5 or 6 freshman.

Eaves from last night: "Guys are looking around for somebody else to step up. There is nobody else."

This summer LaBate gave an interview in which he said something like "I wanted to come back because I've never really been "the go to guy" anywhere before..."

That is apparent.

Schulze has been pretty great for 4 or 5 of 7 games so far. Wittchow's been steady but he's out. (Which sucks also because we were hoping to use his big shot on the pp more.) Drake is trying to step up, but took us out with an own goal. On offense, Besse has started to show a little. There's not much else to point to from returnees.

Right, those other guys aren't here. So what it is, is the same unbalanced class problem that has plagued the Eaves era. I don't know how to solve it without recruiting over the top of 6 or 7 guys, and not just underclassmen, which can get to be a pretty tricky situation when it comes to recruiting other guys later on.

Ultimately, we love them when they are experienced upperclassmen, and hate them when they're not.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Ustaski out of the lineup tonight. Healthy scratch?
                    WISCONSIN BADGERS
                    NCAA Championships: 1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, and 2006
                    WCHA Regular Season Champions: 1977, 1990, and 2000
                    WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013
                    B1G Tournament Champions: 2014
                    Hobey Baker winner: #5 Blake Geoffrion

Comment

Originally posted by UWisco View Post
                      Ustaski out of the lineup tonight. Healthy scratch?
                      According to Baggot, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by WiscDC View Post
                        According to Baggot, yes.
                        Smallest guy on the team takes the place of the biggest guy. Kinda funny.
                        WISCONSIN BADGERS
                        WCHA Tournament Champions: 1970, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1982, 1983, 1988, 1990, 1995, 1998, and 2013

Comment

• When do we say enough is enough? 0-8 is unacceptable by any standard. Yes they were going to struggle but come on. I am fed up with this.
                          gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

Been fed up with Eaves much earlier than most folks on this board. Therefore, here is an interesting article to take your mind off Eaves for a few minutes.......

http://www.hockeyfeed.com/photos-sla...n-elliots-cup/

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                              When do we say enough is enough? 0-8 is unacceptable by any standard. Yes they were going to struggle but come on. I am fed up with this.
                              I've been intimating this for a while. And one reason I've been on the fire Eaves wagon is the excuses are unbearable. You know, for a hard guy like Eaves it's kinda funny how many excuses he dredges up vs. taking responsibility for the team failures...

0-8...does anyone see them going 17-10 the rest of the way to finish at 17-18?

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                                I've been intimating this for a while. And one reason I've been on the fire Eaves wagon is the excuses are unbearable. You know, for a hard guy like Eaves it's kinda funny how many excuses he dredges up vs. taking responsibility for the team failures...

0-8...does anyone see them going 17-10 the rest of the way to finish at 17-18?
                                They played well last night so a few wins will happen.
                                WISCONSIN BADGERS

Comment

Working...
                                X