Norwich university cadets 2014-2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norwich university cadets 2014-2015

Although no W this past weekend, it was a good start for this young team. Prob lots of nerves vs. Elmira but the Eagles played well and with purpose. The biggest game of the tourny had to be the last one... Platty vs NU. That tie went a long way toward providing the confidence needed going forward this season, no doubt about it. I suspect these two teams will see each other again in the post season.

Re: Norwich university cadets 2014-2015

Originally posted by NU FAN View Post
    I suspect these two teams will see each other again in the post season.
    I know these teams will see each other again, and before the post season; Sunday January 11 in the Domes at Pine Valley.

Comment

Great atmosphere at that game yesterday. Playing Platty with the stands full of loud Cadets in fatigues along with the locals from the Northfield area like they were yesterday, Krietzberg is as good as it get for womens college hockey. Attendance was listed at around 470 it seemed alot louder than that. The goaltending was phenomenal at both ends of the ice. Norwich is still aways away from the puck possesion ability of Plattsburg and Elmra but they showed alot of grit yesterday and I thought they had more legs in the 3rd and OT..

HEBoth goaliteuin
      Although no W this past weekend, it was a good start for this young team. Prob lots of nerves vs. Elmira but the Eagles played well and with purpose. The biggest game of the tourny had to be the last one... Platty vs NU. That tie went a long way toward providing the confidence needed going forward this season, no doubt about it. I suspect these two teams will see each other again in the post season.

Comment

Originally posted by Tjames View Post
        Great atmosphere at that game yesterday. Playing Platty with the stands full of loud Cadets in fatigues along with the locals from the Northfield area like they were yesterday, Krietzberg is as good as it get for womens college hockey. Attendance was listed at around 470 it seemed alot louder than that. The goaltending was phenomenal at both ends of the ice. Norwich is still aways away from the puck possesion ability of Plattsburg and Elmra but they showed alot of grit yesterday and I thought they had more legs in the 3rd and OT..

HEBoth goaliteuin
        I wish we could of been there but thank you NSN for the stream. Speaking of which, seems the feed this year is better than last, maybe they upgraded their equipment but much appreciated on this end. Tanner's PBP is awesome btw. I think it's time he get a good raise before we lose him to ESPN! And you are correct, we did seem to have the edge in the overtime period. I got the feeling this team will do well as they continue to gel.

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
          I know these teams will see each other again, and before the post season; Sunday January 11 in the Domes at Pine Valley.
          I was referring to post season. So Mr. Bear, what about that penalty shot attempt and how it was poke checked calmly by Robert. I kinda feel this kid has nerves of steel and may be the go to goalie before the season is over, no?

Comment

I was referring to post season. So Mr. Bear, what about that penalty shot attempt and how it was poke checked calmly by Robert. I kinda feel this kid has nerves of steel and may be the go to goalie before the season is over, no?
            Small world, but The Editor's daughter, Ellissa, was Ms. Robert's coach at Brewster Academy. The Cadet energy level improved after she stuffed the penalty shot. So much of team dynamic grows from confidence in the goalie's ability to steal a game or bail you out of an odd man rush (or penalty shot). Robert looked ready for prime time on Sunday and I hope to see much more of her work as the season progresses.

Comment

Seen a bit of Roberts during her days at Brewster. I was really surprised last year she didn't go D-1. Great recruit for Norwich. I don't think any stage is to big or too small for this kid. as far as the games against UNE and Southern Maine this weekend. I'm expecting the youth of this team and not knowing the league that well to give there best effort. At times over the last few years Norwich has made lesser teams look better than they are by taking them litely.
              Small world, but The Editor's daughter, Ellissa, was Ms. Robert's coach at Brewster Academy. The Cadet energy level improved after she stuffed the penalty shot. So much of team dynamic grows from confidence in the goalie's ability to steal a game or bail you out of an odd man rush (or penalty shot). Robert looked ready for prime time on Sunday and I hope to see much more of her work as the season progresses.

Comment

Here is the link to the Platty vs NU video recap, including that penalty shot!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Mm...dVZi8H1laA1Ytg

Comment

Seen a bit of Roberts during her days at Brewster. I was really surprised last year she didn't go D-1. Great recruit for Norwich. I don't think any stage is to big or too small for this kid. as far as the games against UNE and Southern Maine this weekend. I'm expecting the youth of this team and not knowing the league that well to give there best effort. At times over the last few years Norwich has made lesser teams look better than they are by taking them litely.
                  Had a chance to see Robert play at both Winchenden and at Brewster (where she did a PG year after graduating from Winchenden). Always have to wonder why a NE girls prep school player would do a PG year at another NE prep school (VERY unusual). In this case I suspect it was to try and land a D1 spot. The reality was that, while she was a solid prep school goalie, she was not a significant threat to latch onto a D1 program. She will be a steady reliable D3 goalie and should keep NU in the hunt this year.

Comment

I disagree. Her size, skill and demeanor in net could undoubtly help any number of teams at the D-1 level. Looking at some of the Freshman goalies on D-1 rosters this year makes me feel even more grateful that Norwich was able to land her. As we all know there are many factors that figure into the D-1 offer. I'd be willing to bet there are whole bunch of players in the NESCACS that could be playing in the Ivy's below Harvard and Cornell. Probabaly should start a new thread "D-1 vs D-3 for the Non-Scholarship player".QUOTE=HockeyEast33;6031042]Had a chance to see Robert play at both Winchenden and at Brewster (where she did a PG year after graduating from Winchenden). Always have to wonder why a NE girls prep school player would do a PG year at another NE prep school (VERY unusual). In this case I suspect it was to try and land a D1 spot. The reality was that, while she was a solid prep school goalie, she was not a significant threat to latch onto a D1 program. She will be a steady reliable D3 goalie and should keep NU in the hunt this year.[/QUOTE]

Comment

Probabaly should start a new thread "D-1 vs D-3 for the Non-Scholarship player".
                      The thing to remember about some of the NESCAC schools is their ability to fund grants in lieu of loans. This is available to all their students demonstrating financial need, not just athletes.

Comment

The thing to remember about some of the NESCAC schools is their ability to fund grants in lieu of loans. This is available to all their students demonstrating financial need, not just athletes.
                        Are you saying the Ivy's don't have the ability to fund grants? The point I was trying to make in regards to Roberts not going D-1, which for all I know maybe she was proposed with an offer and chose Norwich. That''s why I stress there can be a number of reasons why a player who may thought to be a D-1 recruit winds up going D-3.
                        The NESCACS are interesting because I feel they have the ability to truly compete with the Ivy's as far as recruiting goes. Maybe not the top players with the high test scores, but I'm sure they get there fair share of Ivy tweeners. It's another reason why the NESCAC is such a tough league to play in. The game of hockey has always atrracted the strong academic kid.

Comment

I was reading thru a thread... http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?110927-D3-Rosters that sorta ties into what we are talking about here. Of course there is the usual bashing of NU's team size, etc, and one will always get that when you are in the top 5 or so, but my point being that IMO, having a 25-28 roster when only 21 or so are on the bench is not a bad thing. Ask any coach today (worth his/her salt) and they will tell you so.

Plenty of reasons but to name a few, kids today are kids. They change their minds like the wind. (not all mind you) Then you have sickness/injuries, personal issues, you name it but by the end of the year, you are glad you had the numbers to work with.

From a coaching prospective, ultimately, the idea is to win, or it used to be when I was behind the bench, so sometimes one has to make the call and do what is best for the team/school. Show me a coach that thinks otherwise and I'll point them to another career... like maybe gov't

Comment

I was reading thru a thread... http://board.uscho.com/showthread.php?110927-D3-Rosters that sorta ties into what we are talking about here. Of course there is the usual bashing of NU's team size, etc, and one will always get that when you are in the top 5 or so, but my point being that IMO, having a 25-28 roster when only 21 or so are on the bench is not a bad thing. Ask any coach today (worth his/her salt) and they will tell you so.

Plenty of reasons but to name a few, kids today are kids. They change their minds like the wind. (not all mind you) Then you have sickness/injuries, personal issues, you name it but by the end of the year, you are glad you had the numbers to work with.

From a coaching prospective, ultimately, the idea is to win, or it used to be when I was behind the bench, so sometimes one has to make the call and do what is best for the team/school. Show me a coach that thinks otherwise and I'll point them to another career... like maybe gov't
                            You need 25 players to run a full-up program that can protect against all of the things you mention. You don't need 28. If you needed 28, every D1 school (or at least the best ones like Minnesota) would be carrying 28.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                              You need 25 players to run a full-up program that can protect against all of the things you mention. You don't need 28. If you needed 28, every D1 school (or at least the best ones like Minnesota) would be carrying 28.
                              Wouldn't this only be an issue if the coach was promising players 21 through 28 playing time and then not coming through. Never heard or read on this forum anything to suggest that players are being mislead at NU.

Comment

Working...
                              X