2015 National Rookie of the Year Cordial Dialogue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 National Rookie of the Year Cordial Dialogue

And you thought some Patty Kaz threads were premature.

A few names. Cianfarano, Pankowski, Clark...and of course, Keller. Undoubtedly others to emerge as things progress. If fans of particular teams have any others in mind add them to the discussion.

This being just the 2nd season to recognize a NRotY, it already seems this could be a close competition between a few and ultimately a difficult choice for those charged with selection of a winner. Obviously it could yet become a clear pick...we'll see. I think in the past had their been such a recognition there would have been several obvious, or easy choices as their clearly was for the inaugural award. Again...may not be the case in 2014-2015.

I would encourage restraint from any negative commentary per any individual players discussed.
    Last edited by brookyone; 10-29-2014, 03:02 PM.
    Minnesota Hockey

Re: 2015 National Rookie of the Year Cordial Dialogue

It's hard to tell with the Ivies, having only a game or two, but Eden Murray from Yale came out of the gate on fire, and Hailey Noronha from Dartmouth looked good on Sunday. Rebecca Leslie at BU and Sarah Robello from the 'Hurst are averaging a point a game each with 7 and 8 games respectively. At defense, Savannah Harmon at Clarkson has 2 - 4 - 6 in 9 games, and is a +5. Those are pretty good numbers thus far.
    "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

A little separation now from other rookies by Pankowski and Cianfarano. Pt./Gm and GW goals edge to Cianfarano at present.
      Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
        ....At defense, Savannah Harmon at Clarkson has 2 - 4 - 6 in 9 games, and is a +5. Those are pretty good numbers thus far.
        I will put on my Green and Gold glasses and second the nomination of Savannah Harmon the ECAC Rookie of the Week for the past 2 weeks.
        Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
        And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
        WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
        If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

I will throw in Sam Donovan of Brown for her 3 point night on 2-1-3pts. against SLU. Had a hand in the tying, winner and insurance goals. 4pts in 4 games and a +2.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
            Pt./Gm and GW goals edge to Cianfarano at present.
            Cianfarano has had a few goals that were the first of the game as well, and that seems to be huge for the Bobcats. If they continue to have their best ever season, and she appears to be the addition having the biggest impact on that, she'll be though to beat.

Normally, I might be inclined to give more weight to what Harmon has done as a freshman D, but because Ambrose put up huge numbers as a freshman three years ago, the Clarkson system allows for that. Still, you have to like a D getting it done on both ends.

Whomever wins RotY in the ECAC figures to have a leg up, although we'll have to wait and see what the Harvard kids do as well.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I'm hoping that D, and goaltenders get some recognition, support and generate commentary in the thread. Provided it is warranted...which I'm sure it will be for a few, at least.
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                I'm hoping that D, and goaltenders get some recognition, support and generate commentary in the thread. Provided it is warranted...which I'm sure it will be for a few, at least.
                I was thinking the same. Goaltending is the toughest position to succeed as a freshman. Burt has to be in the running especially if BC can continue the run. She has a top team in front of her, but the pressure has to be huge playing for a national contender. Tiley is playing well for Clarkson - even though they are last year's national champs, they lost a lot.
                Last edited by 96IllinoisDad; 11-05-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 96IllinoisDad View Post
                  Burt has to be in the running especially if BC can continue the run.
                  Burt looks really, really good. Obviously she hasn't had to face very much but the thing I'm happiest about is the growth in her game in the short amount of time since the beginning of the season. She looked jittery to start but has looked like a veteran out there already for several games now.

I'd happily throw her name into the ring.
                  Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                  Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                  Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Goaltending is the toughest position to succeed as a freshman.
                    The top freshmen goalies statistically in roughly this order look to be: Shea Tiley, Clarkson; Hannah Ehresmann, Penn State; Erin Deters, Bemidji State; Katie Burt, Boston College; and Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State. Save percentage is huge, but you have to also look at how many saves that is based upon. Then when you factor in other stats like GAA and Win % and how much she plays and against what opponents, that's how I'd rank them presently.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      The top freshmen goalies statistically in roughly this order look to be: Shea Tiley, Clarkson; Hannah Ehresmann, Penn State; Erin Deters, Bemidji State; Katie Burt, Boston College; and Kassidy Sauve, Ohio State. Save percentage is huge, but you have to also look at how many saves that is based upon. Then when you factor in other stats like GAA and Win % and how much she plays and against what opponents, that's how I'd rank them presently.
                      My favorite goalie statistic is wins-losses, and Burt is #1.

On a dominant team, you don't face many shots, but you still do face the occasional breakaway and short handed situation which are tougher save opportunities than 5 on 5 usually. BC blows teams out and may not be as concerned defensively when they have 5 goal leads. I would argue there is more pressure on Burt as the #1 on BC than on a rookie goalie at Penn State, Ohio State etc.

I am not a BC fan (there are plenty on here already), and I don't know much about Burt. I am surprised and impressed that she has been as solid as she has been. If she can keep it up, she would have my vote.

Comment

I would argue there is more pressure on Burt as the #1 on BC than on a rookie goalie at Penn State, Ohio State etc.
                        That would be true if the game is close. There isn't much pressure if you're up several goals, as compared to someone like Ehresmann who is in a tie game and getting peppered. I'll be more inclined to agree with you if her numbers are strong versus better teams.

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                          That would be true if the game is close. There isn't much pressure if you're up several goals, as compared to someone like Ehresmann who is in a tie game and getting peppered. I'll be more inclined to agree with you if her numbers are strong versus better teams.
                          Still really early to have this conversation but to me the hardest thing to judge is what is happening after the initial shot. If your on a really strong team it might not matter if you leave it out front or on the backside because your back checkers will be there first. When you watch some of the more experienced goalies there are very few second shot opportunities, having seen Ehresmann and Tilley this year I would give the edge to Ehresmann on that right now. I also really like the red shirt freshman Deters at Bemdji. Looking forward to seeing Burt in a game soon. This should be an interesting conversation in late January.

Comment

Originally posted by Royale with Cheese View Post
                            Still really early to have this conversation but to me the hardest thing to judge is what is happening after the initial shot. If your on a really strong team it might not matter if you leave it out front or on the backside because your back checkers will be there first. When you watch some of the more experienced goalies there are very few second shot opportunities, having seen Ehresmann and Tilley this year I would give the edge to Ehresmann on that right now. I also really like the red shirt freshman Deters at Bemdji. Looking forward to seeing Burt in a game soon. This should be an interesting conversation in late January.
                            Nice to see that first year goalies are being discussed. I have seen all of them play with the exception of Burt and one thing they all have in common is that they are all very good and unless they are injured or fall upon hard times, all 5 will be the backbone of their teams for the next 4 years. I would suggest that Ehresmann may have the toughest job right now and that Deters and Sauve are not far behind. Tiley and Burt are on strong teams which doesn't mean their jobs are easier. Ask any goalie and they will tell you they prefer 30 shots a game than 15. There is no wrong choice here and as the season unfolds, I would expect all of them to play key roles in their respective team's success. I would expect Oneil's name to be mentioned as well as the season progresses. Goaltending aside, it is really Pankowski's award to win. She is on a dominant team and has a few years on most of her opponents in this category. Maturity and experience is on her side.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              Nice to see that first year goalies are being discussed. I have seen all of them play with the exception of Burt and one thing they all have in common is that they are all very good and unless they are injured or fall upon hard times, all 5 will be the backbone of their teams for the next 4 years. I would suggest that Ehresmann may have the toughest job right now and that Deters and Sauve are not far behind. Tiley and Burt are on strong teams which doesn't mean their jobs are easier. Ask any goalie and they will tell you they prefer 30 shots a game than 15. There is no wrong choice here and as the season unfolds, I would expect all of them to play key roles in their respective team's success. I would expect Oneil's name to be mentioned as well as the season progresses. Goaltending aside, it is really Pankowski's award to win. She is on a dominant team and has a few years on most of her opponents in this category. Maturity and experience is on her side.
                              I concur, Pankowski will probably end up the top rookie when all is said and done. Cianfarano added to the BADgers freshemn would have been a big SIN
                              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Working...
                              X