X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post

Takes on last night, live at The Tsongas:
    -Maine played a good solid game. I understand...a loss is a loss is a loss. Maine skated well, controlled alot of play, consistently got to loose lucks first (something they've sucked at), hustled their arse's off. Maine forced UML out of their game for a decent amount of the game. This team's record sucks. I understand. This team did anything but suck last night. They played even and it wasn't just because Maine "had grit".
    -Maine played very good defense , on balance, throughout the entire game. I never thought I'd say this. UML forwards didn't get behind Maine defense once all night that I can recall. Big improvement. Maine had solid D and total resetting of the pairings probably was the major reason. Breaking up Hutton and Riley was overdue. Riley has just been easily forget-able, IMHO, every time I've seen him.
    -Maine got excellent goaltending last night. Romeo was very tough. He saw the puck well all night. Very little screeneing. He's developing well. Just wish he was 6'4" 220lb.
    -UML poster thinks UML dominated in the 1st. Not the case. Maine also played great most of the 2nd. Uncharacteristically, they came out and played well in the third. With heart and purpose. Both teams had flurries of shots early 3rd.
    -Merchant and Tegeler MIA last night. Unnoticeable. Musil played several shifts. He can skate, he can play a little but doesn't make you go Wow, who is this Freshman.
    -Vesey goal a thing of beauty live. If he can make that kind and quality of play on a consistent basis, he'll be a blue chippa. Saw brother Jimmy at Harvard vs BU last week. Goal/assist/on ice for all 3 Harvard goals.These kids are good. Nolan will develop under Red. Pecca and Vesey on a line is working.
    -#94 is good but not great. Definitely missing the speed I think I remember last year. Watched carefully. I think his right leg is in pain the way he broke out twice last nite.
    -Hamilton losing his stick in the OT, and then not nailing Louria is punishable by beating in several Canadian provinces. Bad live. Worse on replay.
    -the "Losing on the road" thing is probably getting in their heads bad by now. Gotta end.

On to UNH 'home-& home', kinda. Will be at both games.
    I am with ya just about 100%
    this team is doing everything right, and is in most games.

maine controlled the first. the first looked like every jerry york game ever... let the other team have the puck at the perimeter, play position, do not let anyone in close and when there is a turn over, break out with it.... they will be dead tired from all their running around, and we will be fresh. THIS was not lowell controlling a **** thing in the first, except the puck.
    Shore is hurting.... he will be in Orono nexy year as dallas does not want to put him on an echl team to see if he can come back.

AND you did not mention the massive hit by Hamilton at the blue line. It is really nice to see Maine D standing someon up at the blue line and not just backing into the crease.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
      Not why they lost.
      you really need to look at some BU replays from this season.. the refs are handing BU powerplays that other teams just do not get. i have seen Bu many times this season and the reffing is pretty lopsided in their favor. I would hate to think that the league needs BU at the top of the national polls and the refs are told to help with that, but the powerplays they get in OT are pretty amazing. Ive been at many NU and Maine games as well and I am just not seeing the calls for or against anyone but BU.
      Last edited by TERRIERFANinLA; 12-08-2014, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Tim is currently 4-0.
        So what? Last year he won a championship. Still don't want him back.

He's found his level.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
          Shore is hurting.... he will be in Orono next year as Dallas does not want to put him on an echl team to see if he can come back.
          Agree, and I also think Vancouver ain't callin' up #10 given his performance thus far '14-15. 2g/4a/6 pts and an overall of -11 thru 16 games. And not a hard-nose defensive type of defenseman.

At the beginning of the season, I'd have bet $$$ that this was both of their last years wearing The Blue. I'm sure Red did too. Not sure at all about that now.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
            Agree, and I also think Vancouver ain't callin' up #10 given his performance thus far '14-15. 2g/4a/6 pts and an overall of -11 thru 16 games. And not a hard-nose defensive type of defenseman.

At the beginning of the season, I'd have bet $$$ that this was both of their last years wearing The Blue. I'm sure Red did too. Not sure at all about that now.
            Would either of them be signed because of their draft rights? Don't they expire after their senior year? It would be extremely nice if they both came back.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleA View Post

Takes on last night, live at The Tsongas:
              -Maine played a good solid game. I understand...a loss is a loss is a loss. Maine skated well, controlled alot of play, consistently got to loose lucks first (something they've sucked at), hustled their arse's off. Maine forced UML out of their game for a decent amount of the game. This team's record sucks. I understand. This team did anything but suck last night. They played even and it wasn't just because Maine "had grit".
              -Maine played very good defense , on balance, throughout the entire game. I never thought I'd say this. UML forwards didn't get behind Maine defense once all night that I can recall. Big improvement. Maine had solid D and total resetting of the pairings probably was the major reason. Breaking up Hutton and Riley was overdue. Riley has just been easily forget-able, IMHO, every time I've seen him.
              -Maine got excellent goaltending last night. Romeo was very tough. He saw the puck well all night. Very little screeneing. He's developing well. Just wish he was 6'4" 220lb.
              -UML poster thinks UML dominated in the 1st. Not the case. Maine also played great most of the 2nd. Uncharacteristically, they came out and played well in the third. With heart and purpose. Both teams had flurries of shots early 3rd.
              -Merchant and Tegeler MIA last night. Unnoticeable. Musil played several shifts. He can skate, he can play a little but doesn't make you go Wow, who is this Freshman.
              -Vesey goal a thing of beauty live. If he can make that kind and quality of play on a consistent basis, he'll be a blue chippa. Saw brother Jimmy at Harvard vs BU last week. Goal/assist/on ice for all 3 Harvard goals.These kids are good. Nolan will develop under Red. Pecca and Vesey on a line is working.
              -#94 is good but not great. Definitely missing the speed I think I remember last year. Watched carefully. I think his right leg is in pain the way he broke out twice last nite.
              -Hamilton losing his stick in the OT, and then not nailing Louria is punishable by beating in several Canadian provinces. Bad live. Worse on replay.
              -the "Losing on the road" thing is probably getting in their heads bad by now. Gotta end.

On to UNH 'home-& home', kinda. Will be at both games.
              I guess I must have watched a different 1st period. I thought Maine looked like they have for weeks, unable to get the puck out of their zone. I guess Lowell didn't generate many grade As but they certainly had more time of possession. Maine looked better in 2nd and especially in 3rd
              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                I guess I must have watched a different 1st period. I thought Maine looked like they have for weeks, unable to get the puck out of their zone. I guess Lowell didn't generate many grade As but they certainly had more time of possession. Maine looked better in 2nd and especially in 3rd
                You did.

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Maine did not get it out of their own end.. .surely you are old enough to remember the rope a dope.
                  Maine played BC's game... let em have the puck at the perimeter, but NEVEr let em near the net... I think the best scoring chance of the period was Morgan's break away... (or was that in the second?)

Comment

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                    you really need to look at some BU replays from this season.. the refs are handing BU powerplays that other teams just do not get. i have seen Bu many times this season and the reffing is pretty lopsided in their favor. I would hate to think that the league needs BU at the top of the national polls and the refs are told to help with that, but the powerplays they get in OT are pretty amazing. Ive been at many NU and Maine games as well and I am just not seeing the calls for or against anyone but BU.
                    BU has been called for 14.0 PIM per game this year good for the 2nd most in conference. The other 11 teams are averaging 9.7 PIM.

Against BU other Hockey East teams are averaging 10.1 PIM per game, meaning BU is on the PK 3.9 more minutes per game than they are on the PP.

What are you talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                      Maine did not get it out of their own end.. .surely you are old enough to remember the rope a dope.
                      Maine played BC's game... let em have the puck at the perimeter, but NEVEr let em near the net... I think the best scoring chance of the period was Morgan's break away... (or was that in the second?)
                      This team isn't good enough or mentally disciplined enough to play Rope a Dope.
                      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

the latest from Larry Mahoney:

High school, college coaches supply players with tools to develop mental toughness

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
                        Posted Dec. 08, 2014, at 11:44 a.m.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/12/0...?ref=SportsBox

Coach Gendron mentioned "mental toughness" several times this year after losses, usually in respect to what they were lacking. Maine put up a good fight this weekend at Lowell, but regardless didn't get the job done.

(spoiler alert, the article doesn't mention the hockey team even once)

Comment

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA
                          read what I wrote
                          I could care less about total minutes... some times teams deserve 4 times the penalties they are given and usually the referees try to keep as many marbles in one pocket as the other... if you cannot understand that, then learn the game

watch the film of the OT pps bu was handed.... utter bs
                          BU has had 2 OT PPs this season. One was 100% deserved, the other was a ticky-tack call in a game the refs were calling every ticky-tack call possible. And suddenly the league is rigging penalties to help one of its most penalized teams? What brand tin foil are you using for your hat? I'd like to make myself a matching one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post
                            BU has had 2 OT PPs this season. One was 100% deserved, the other was a ticky-tack call in a game the refs were calling every ticky-tack call possible. And suddenly the league is rigging penalties to help one of its most penalized teams? What brand tin foil are you using for your hat? I'd like to make myself a matching one.
                            Heavy Duty Reynolds Wrap!

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                              C'mon Scarlet, you guys know you are the goal lifiting experts in the league, dontcha ? .
                              sure why not

Comment

• Originally posted by Agganis View Post

Penalties in OT are rare unless they're egregious. The 5-minute major vs Maine certainly comes to mind as a bit of a home job

Comment

Working...
                                X