X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/12/0...?ref=SportsBox
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      They lost because the effort in OT wasn't nearly enough. If you guys couldn't see the difference between late in the 3rd period and OT I don't know what to say. I'll bet Red saw it and I'll bet the players are seeing it on film today. Is anyone really shocked they lost in OT?
      Your right,they had their chances during regulation and on the winning goal by UML,3 Maine players were in position to defend it but let the UML player float in on Romeo(21-25-47).

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
        all y'all wishing y'all could get timmah back, aren't ya!!?!?!
        Who does this sound like?

“The truth is we played a really good game. We pushed back, we stuck together and the guys competed like dogs,” said Gendron. “We’re never satisfied with an outcome unless it’s a win. But if we keep playing like this, we’ll come out of it. We could have won it but we didn’t so it’s not good enough. We need to play better and we will.”

Comment

A lot of positives to take away from this game; Vesey's goal, the Rutt/Riley pairing was solid, a PP goal, much better backchecking effort, Romeo was good/great in goal. On the downside; UMl had much more time and space than we did, much more zone time, good teams find a way to win, we didn't. Hopefully we can end the first half on a positive note and come out flying the second half.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyman99 View Post
            A lot of positives to take away from this game; Vesey's goal, the Rutt/Riley pairing was solid, a PP goal, much better backchecking effort, Romeo was good/great in goal. On the downside; UMl had much more time and space than we did, much more zone time, good teams find a way to win, we didn't. Hopefully we can end the first half on a positive note and come out flying the second half.
            Yep, you got it. It ain't easy sometime, you just gotta keep shoveling. Freshman D error on Hamilton... he shoulda just train wrecked that guy legally since he lost his stick
            sure why not

Comment

The youtube "highlights"
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DD280yXYAmA

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                Yep, you got it. It ain't easy sometime, you just gotta keep shoveling. Freshman D error on Hamilton... he shoulda just train wrecked that guy legally since he lost his stick
                That was Hamilton at the end? Too bad I thought he played a decent game but you are right he should have taken a penalty and made it count . Liked the lines last night. Vesey and Pecccaro are good together. Hutton looked better but Shore still isn't himself

Comment

Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
                  Who does this sound like?

“The truth is we played a really good game. We pushed back, we stuck together and the guys competed like dogs,” said Gendron. “We’re never satisfied with an outcome unless it’s a win. But if we keep playing like this, we’ll come out of it. We could have won it but we didn’t so it’s not good enough. We need to play better and we will.”
                  It sounds like every coach in a losing streak

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                    That was Hamilton at the end? Too bad I thought he played a decent game but you are right he should have taken a penalty and made it count . Liked the lines last night. Vesey and Pecccaro are good together. Hutton looked better but Shore still isn't himself
                    Yep Hamilton... almost looked like he dropped it. He looked absolutely dismal on that play. He and Schurhammer had an easy opportunity to take that guy into next week and didn't. Agree, saw a lot things I liked out of the line combos. Good to see Vesey get uncorked... maybe this will jump start him.
                    sure why not

Comment

Matchup Next weekend between Maine/UNH...battle of 10th and 11th place teams...Maine is 3-12-1 and a .219 winning %...while UNH has a 4-9-1 mark to go with a .321 winning %...both teams have scored 34 goals while Maine has given up 20 more goals then UNH...58 to 38...boy have times changed from Top 4 or 5 in Hockey East and Top 15 in Polls to after thoughts now a days...which is to bad imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        looked like 5 minutes to me
                        I agree. Definitely looked like a 5 minute penalty to me.

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                          Takes on last night, live at The Tsongas:
                          -Maine played a good solid game. I understand...a loss is a loss is a loss. Maine skated well, controlled alot of play, consistently got to loose lucks first (something they've sucked at), hustled their arse's off. Maine forced UML out of their game for a decent amount of the game. This team's record sucks. I understand. This team did anything but suck last night. They played even and it wasn't just because Maine "had grit".
                          -Maine played very good defense , on balance, throughout the entire game. I never thought I'd say this. UML forwards didn't get behind Maine defense once all night that I can recall. Big improvement. Maine had solid D and total resetting of the pairings probably was the major reason. Breaking up Hutton and Riley was overdue. Riley has just been easily forget-able, IMHO, every time I've seen him.
                          -Maine got excellent goaltending last night. Romeo was very tough. He saw the puck well all night. Very little screeneing. He's developing well. Just wish he was 6'4" 220lb.
                          -UML poster thinks UML dominated in the 1st. Not the case. Maine also played great most of the 2nd. Uncharacteristically, they came out and played well in the third. With heart and purpose. Both teams had flurries of shots early 3rd.
                          -Merchant and Tegeler MIA last night. Unnoticeable. Musil played several shifts. He can skate, he can play a little but doesn't make you go Wow, who is this Freshman.
                          -Vesey goal a thing of beauty live. If he can make that kind and quality of play on a consistent basis, he'll be a blue chippa. Saw brother Jimmy at Harvard vs BU last week. Goal/assist/on ice for all 3 Harvard goals.These kids are good. Nolan will develop under Red. Pecca and Vesey on a line is working.
                          -#94 is good but not great. Definitely missing the speed I think I remember last year. Watched carefully. I think his right leg is in pain the way he broke out twice last nite.
                          -Hamilton losing his stick in the OT, and then not nailing Louria is punishable by beating in several Canadian provinces. Bad live. Worse on replay.
                          -the "Losing on the road" thing is probably getting in their heads bad by now. Gotta end.

On to UNH 'home-& home', kinda. Will be at both games.
                          Last edited by DoubleA; 12-07-2014, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                            Matchup Next weekend between Maine/UNH...battle of 10th and 11th place teams...Maine is 3-12-1 and a .219 winning %...while UNH has a 4-9-1 mark to go with a .321 winning %...both teams have scored 34 goals while Maine has given up 20 more goals then UNH...58 to 38...boy have times changed from Top 4 or 5 in Hockey East and Top 15 in Polls to after thoughts now a days...which is to bad imo.
                            To add insult to injury........UT-Chattanooga @ UNH football playoff game is on Friday night @8:00pm in Durham......same night as hockey game in Manchester. Nothing like a night football game in Durham, NH on Dec. 12!

Comment

Maine has played 10 games against teams ranked in the top-15. They're 0-10 in those games; 3-2-1 in the other six.
                              Last season, Maine played 12 games against top-15 teams all season, including the HEA tournament. They went 2-7-3.

What does that mean? I dunno. But I'll give it a shot.

Obviously, Maine has played a much, much stronger schedule this season than last. That said, the results this season are also much worse. Probably about a wash.

What's different this season? Well, Maine's scoring 3/4 of a goal less per game, and allowing almost a full goal more. Yeah, that'll do it.
                              2013-14 avg score: 2.33 - 3.0
                              2014-15 (so far): 1.6 - 3.9

Which is worse? That scoring is down, or goals allowed are up?

If you give the 13-14 Maine 1.6 goals per game , they go 3-9 vs. top-15. That win pct (.250) is barely less than their actual win pct (.292).
                              If you give 14-15 Maine 2.33 goals per game, they go 0-10. Exactly the same.

So the biggest difference seems to be defense/goaltending. This year, Maine has allowed 3+ goals in every game they've played vs. top-15 . . . going 0-10.
                              Last season, when Maine allowed 3+ goals versus top-15 teams, they were also winless, going 0-6-1.

The difference is that last season Maine played 5 games vs top-15 when they allowed 2 goals or fewer. They went 2-1-2 in those games; win pct of .600. That'll work.

I'm not saying that Red & co should be satisfied just to get back to last season's level of offensive production. They should aim higher. But if they want to know how to start turning "L"s into "W"s - or at least "T"s . . . they've got to sort things out on the defensive end.
                              1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                                ... But if they want to know how to start turning "L"s into "W"s - or at least "T"s . . . they've got to sort things out on the defensive end.
                                If there's any continuation of the D and net minding they showed last night, that'd be a good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X