PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 [52] 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

umhockey91
12-15-2014, 12:30 PM
I really can't wait until he has to hire a new football coach at Miami. It's going to be a delightful nightmare.

+1 :)

rufus
12-15-2014, 02:10 PM
I was never a huge TIMMAY fan, but not a detractor either. I mean, really, look what he did up until 2007 with that team, six times in the tourney, twice in the championship game, and twice a loser in the semis. What more could you really want? What burned me on him was when he chitcanned Grant and Guy, and then that awful loss to Michigan St. in the NCAA semis, when TIMMAY had the brilliant notion that Keenan Hopson would make a good defenseman.

And then the story I heard that, after going up quickly 2-0, TIMMAY told the team to sit back and conserve their energy. Gave up four straight and lost, badly. That, on top of losing the 2004 game in Minny after taking the lead and then sitting on it, only to lose, was it for me. Without Grant there, TIMMAY was just overwhelmed, not fit to be a D-1 coach. After that, I joined the five internet nutcases.

I don't know if Red will find success as a D-1 coach, but I can't say he's not fit to be one.

walrus
12-15-2014, 02:12 PM
hey... you are forgetting MY namesake, MaineFanInLA... he was nutcase number one!!!
I certainly posted pictures of dead canaries in the coal mine a long time ago, and other than BobF and 93 Champs/downbytheriver/voteForJeanHayBright, not all that many were completely pro whitehead.
Votefor jeanhaybright, TF F. You might not be a know it all but you have a good memory:)

Priceless
12-15-2014, 02:39 PM
I was never a huge TIMMAY fan, but not a detractor either. I mean, really, look what he did up until 2007 with that team, six times in the tourney, twice in the championship game, and twice a loser in the semis. What more could you really want? What burned me on him was when he chitcanned Grant and Guy, and then that awful loss to Michigan St. in the NCAA semis, when TIMMAY had the brilliant notion that Keenan Hopson would make a good defenseman.

And then the story I heard that, after going up quickly 2-0, TIMMAY told the team to sit back and conserve their energy. Gave up four straight and lost, badly. That, on top of losing the 2004 game in Minny after taking the lead and then sitting on it, only to lose, was it for me. Without Grant there, TIMMAY was just overwhelmed, not fit to be a D-1 coach. After that, I joined the five internet nutcases.

I don't know if Red will find success as a D-1 coach, but I can't say he's not fit to be one.

What 2004 game in Minny? The 2002 game was in Minneapolis, and Tim had a bit of help losing that one. He also had a bit of bad luck in 2004 in Boston. He's a biased referee and a skate blade away from being a two-time NCAA champion.

And for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?

BBDiehard14
12-15-2014, 02:41 PM
First-half analysis. One graph just says it all:

This team also needs to toughen up mentally. It needs to develop a swagger and put teams away when it has the lead. It also needs to start fast and not keep having lackluster first periods.

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/12/15/sports/hockey-east/umaine-black-bears-face-uphill-battle-to-turn-losing-season-around-in-its-2nd-half/

walrus
12-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Timmay would still be coach if Scott Darling didn't like to party so much in orono. Darling with Gus, Flynn and Abbott, would have done well in the NCAAs

BBDiehard14
12-15-2014, 03:51 PM
What 2004 game in Minny? The 2002 game was in Minneapolis, and Tim had a bit of help losing that one. He also had a bit of bad luck in 2004 in Boston. He's a biased referee and a skate blade away from being a two-time NCAA champion.

And for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?

NTM the BDN comment section too

rufus
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
Brain cramp. Sue me, voteforjeanhaybright.

nd for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?

I'm your Huckleberry.

Ma#1ne Hky
12-15-2014, 04:37 PM

And for all the griping on here about Timmay! who else bothered to write the university president or speak to anyone in the athletic department about replacing the coach? No, posting here, MBR or joining a Facebook group don't count. An actual email or phone call to someone at the university with some say in the matter. Anyone? Bueller?I did.

Runsub5
12-15-2014, 04:42 PM
Timmay would still be coach if Scott Darling didn't like to party so much in orono. Darling with Gus, Flynn and Abbott, would have done well in the NCAAs

I agree with you. Red is being challenged by the same issue that Tim faced. Recruiting. So far Red's players may be just as talented as Tim's, but he is not getting enough of them. Hayes rookie of the week in HE by the way.

Priceless
12-15-2014, 06:52 PM
Brain cramp. Sue me, voteforjeanhaybright.

I'm your Huckleberry.

voteforjeanhaybright? There is no such user. :confused:

BBDiehard14
12-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Lomberg is apparently transferring to Miami

Priceless
12-16-2014, 09:34 AM
Lomberg is apparently transferring to Miami

Do the Hurricanes even have a hockey program?

BBDiehard14
12-16-2014, 10:29 AM
Nah, but it would make a great "The U, Part III"

Joking aside, great to see Lomberg is planning on catching on with another program. Even greater that it's not a Hockey East program, because he's one of those guys who is a pain to play against.

AMC
12-16-2014, 10:43 AM
He also had a bit of bad luck in 2004 in Boston. He's a biased referee and a skate blade away from being a two-time NCAA champion.

Tough to say bias there when Maine finished the game on a 6-on-3.

Priceless
12-16-2014, 10:47 AM
Tough to say bias there when Maine finished the game on a 6-on-3.

Again, that was 2004. The biased referee was Piotrowski, in 2002 in Minneapolis. This is the same guy who had tossed Walsh from the final game of his life the year before. Maine had the championship won until his phantom calls (and mysterious non-calls) handed the title to the Gophers - in their own building. (yeah yeah, neutral site)

BBDiehard14
12-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Again, that was 2004. The biased referee was Piotrowski, in 2002 in Minneapolis. This is the same guy who had tossed Walsh from the final game of his life the year before. Maine had the championship won until his phantom calls (and mysterious non-calls) handed the title to the Gophers - in their own building. (yeah yeah, neutral site)

That's a name that dare not ever be mentioned at Alfond Arena

umhockey91
12-16-2014, 12:23 PM
What's the big news on the "Grant Standbrook Fund" being released tomorrow?

https://twitter.com/WCSHSPORTSGUY

http://umaine.edu/savage-challenge/what-is-the-grant-standbrook-maine-hockey-forever-fund/

Hopefully a MAJOR donation!

Nick Papagiorgio
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
He's a biased referee and a skate blade away from being a two-time NCAA champion.

This is amazing.

BassAle
12-16-2014, 01:49 PM

The ref didn't score the tieing goal with under a minute to go. Timmay was out coached in the last minute for sure. Didn't even use a time out before the biggest face off of his career, one goal lead, face off in your zone, extra attacker situation. I know people that immediately thought the university made a huge mistake after he got the job following that performance. Nutcase from day one.

And the overtime penalty call on maine was not phantom - it was a penalty, but he did miss an obvious make up call shortly after. A linesman did make a phantom icing call on Maine in OT (Robert Liscak was clearly past the center line when he sent the puck down ice for a line change), commentators even said it would be a shame if Maine lost on the resulting face off.