This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
    Maine is a LONG ways from elite. They are the 5th worst in the county right now and that is offense, defense, and goaltending!

Denver is 9-3.....

Comment

• Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
      Denver is 9-3.....
      That's great but you seem to ignore the fact that there was a slight difference in skill level when Jim took over. Denver had been a tournament team for six consecutive seasons. The team he inherited had plenty of talent whereas Red got a pretty bare cupboard.

There is a screenshot on Facebook showing the puck in the net with .1 on the clock. That goal would have tied the game at 2-2 and changed the course of the game. If accurate, it makes one wonder what the referees were thinking in waving off the goal.

ETA:

Last edited by Priceless; 11-30-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Priceless View Post
        That's great but you seem to ignore the fact that there was a slight difference in skill level when Jim took over. Denver had been a tournament team for six consecutive seasons. The team he inherited had plenty of talent whereas Red got a pretty bare cupboard.

There is a screenshot on Facebook showing the puck in the net with .1 on the clock. That goal would have tied the game at 2-2 and changed the course of the game. If accurate, it makes one wonder what the referees were thinking in waving off the goal.

ETA:

They showed a video review of the goal on the scoreboard at the Alfond during the intermission, and according to the video that was played at the game with the way the clock was synched up to it the puck was still partially on the goalline with .1 on the clock. It's too bad that refs weren't watching the other video that was posted on facebook.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
          They showed a video review of the goal on the scoreboard at the Alfond during the intermission, and according to the video that was played at the game with the way the clock was synched up to it the puck was still partially on the goalline with .1 on the clock. It's too bad that refs weren't watching the other video that was posted on facebook.
          Doesn't make any sense. The game clock is the scoreboard clock. WVII doesn't do their own graphic for the clock. That sure seems like a good goal. Maybe our old friend Randy Schmidt was refereeing the game last night.

ETA: tweet from Mike McMahon, Merrimack reporter:

Last edited by Priceless; 11-30-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Doesn't make any sense. The game clock is the scoreboard clock. WVII doesn't do their own graphic for the clock. That sure seems like a good goal. Maybe our old friend Randy Schmidt was refereeing the game last night.

ETA: tweet from Mike McMahon, Merrimack reporter:

I was watching online and thought it was very strange it was taking so long, it's either over the line or not, not something that should take very long to look at. Does someone have to synch up the clock with replay? The replay they showed online the puck was definitely on the line with time having run out but they probably bottled synching the clock and replay up.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
              I was watching online and thought it was very strange it was taking so long, it's either over the line or not, not something that should take very long to look at. Does someone have to synch up the clock with replay? The replay they showed online the puck was definitely on the line with time having run out but they probably bottled synching the clock and replay up.
              Was the puck on the ice or in the air? If it was in the air at the 0.1s point the two pics could both be correct, especially since the one from above the net was also from behind the net. Ref is def. signaling goal.

Comment

Anyone consider the Facebook picture's been Photoshopped? I'm not saying it is, but it'd be pretty simple to do.

Comment

I've thought a lot about Red's tenure and here are my thoughts:

-Maine had a pretty easy schedule last year and it was a pretty mediocre year for Hockey East. The wins at home against UML, BC, and UNH were nice but other than that there weren't a lot of great wins.

-The notion that Maine 'tanked' down the stretch is a load of rubbish. They basically performed how you would expect given the talent they had. They were never going to beat Providence. In the series' at Notre Dame and Northeastern they went 1-2-1 which is basically what you would reasonable expect. They won all three games against Merrimack which is also what you would expect.

-Higgins' injury undoubtedly hurt them down the stretch. I think they potentially hold on for an extra win against Notre Dame or NEU if he was healthy. I think his injury this year has hurt as well. He isn't everyone's cup of team and maybe wouldn't make Maine's all time team, but he is very good two way forward who is good when Maine needs to stop the other team and can contribute offensively. When he got hurt last year he must have been around top five in points.

-The Lomberg situation has hurt a lot and was very unnecessary. Maine (meaning the administration) would have been much better off just kicking him out of school in April. To let this thing drag on all summer and then still give him a ridiculous punishment was very foolish. I'm sure a lot of guys on the team were hoping that he would be back, especially given the outcome of the court base but that obviously didn't happen. I would have to imagine that Red didn't have time to use his money on someone else as the final decision came down at the end of August.

-Maine didn't have a lot in the senior class last year so it would have been tough for Red and Co to bring in many new players. I think this year's freshmen class is good relative to who they replaced but that isn't saying a hell of a lot.

-I think the goaltending this year has been good enough. Other than Friday's game it's hard for me to say there are any other games where Maine didn't win because of goaltending. The defending this year has been SHOCKING. How many times have we seen someone from the other team in front of the net with no Maine player within 10 feet of them? It seems like Maine cannot defend odd man rushes anymore either. I've never seen someone look so out of sorts as Rutt did Friday night on Vermont's sixth goal.

-If you go down the list of games played I think the only bad team Maine has lost to is BC, and that obviously came the night after the heartbreaking loss to BU. Maine's record looks bad but to a large degree it is down to just playing better teams. I disagree that Red has lost the team. We saw great efforts in the first game at Vermont and both games against BU. You have to wonder how much different things would have played out had Maine held on for one more minute in that first game against UVM.

-The one thing I don't think enough people are talking about is the combination of Shore and Higgins being hurt and Lomberg not part of the team. I think Maine could have survived not having Higgins or Lomberg, but the combination of all three being hurt/ineffective/no longer part of the team is too much. At this point I would shut Shore and Higgins down until the second half.

-Maine has a pretty easy schedule the second half of the season and hopefully can at least go .500 in those games. If they can do that and some players show improvement I think we will all feel a lot better about this season. Shore's injury could be a blessing in disguise if he comes back next year too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeypuck View Post
                    Romeo has gotten better and better and tonight was very strong. I don't see it in Morris he looks like a sieve.
                    Right. I think you have to run with Romeo from here on out, and see if he can improve into that goalie who can steal a game here and there. Get Nugnes into a game when you can and see what he's got to offer.

I don't know what it is with Morris, whether it's the long time he's been off recovering from the injury, but he sure doesn't look like the goalie who backstopped a junior team to a championship.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                      He shouldn't be a so called grinder...he should be a force to the net and in front of it...along with chipping in a few goals here and there...he's big enough but plays a small game and being in his Junior year you'd expect something out of him...he's a non factor most nights...if that's the case then rotate some players in that role like Cerretani and Merchant getting each a game per weekend...maybe someone pushing him for playing time would light a fire under him...and get some positive team results.
                      Well that's up to him, isn't it? Like you say, he's a junior, and if he hasn't decided to step up and play a bigger role by now, it's probably not going to happen. Red gave him a chance on the top line the other night, and nothing to show for it.

Comment

ETA:

For one thing most TV broadcasts do not use the actual clock, seen them have to reset the Tv clock several times when the Tv clock guys makes a mistake.

Also as said before you cannot tell if the puck(lets say its not photoshop)is over the line or 6 inches above it, not from this angle. I am sure whatever
                        replay the refs looked at from above was good enough to get it correct. You really think they are gonna see something on replay and not call it correct?
                        With the game on National TV? Not unless they want to be fired.

And UMaine was only down 2-1 going into the third and still had every chance to win if they played good enough and still Vt scored the only goals in the period.
                        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                          . You really think they are gonna see something on replay and not call it correct?

And UMaine was only down 2-1 going into the third and still had every chance to win if they played good enough and still Vt scored the only goals in the period.
                          Yup, I have no reason to believe Shea blew a call on video tape. He sucks and has for years but I'm confident he handled that call correctly.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                            For one thing most TV broadcasts do not use the actual clock, seen them have to reset the Tv clock several times when the Tv clock guys makes a mistake.

Also as said before you cannot tell if the puck(lets say its not photoshop)is over the line or 6 inches above it, not from this angle. I am sure whatever
                            replay the refs looked at from above was good enough to get it correct. You really think they are gonna see something on replay and not call it correct?
                            Like Randy Schmidt?

Look, it's entirely possible the call on the ice was correct. However, there have been known malfunctions in the past and there might have been one here. It certainly is worth Hockey East checking it.

Also, the clock on this broadcast was the game clock. They have a camera aimed at the scoreboard, it isn't a graphic like we see on many telecasts.

As for other chances to win, sure, but you're talking about a goal in the final second of the period that would have tied the score. That is a huge momentum swing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Priceless View Post
                              Like Randy Schmidt?

Look, it's entirely possible the call on the ice was correct. However, there have been known malfunctions in the past and there might have been one here. It certainly is worth Hockey East checking it.

Also, the clock on this broadcast was the game clock. They have a camera aimed at the scoreboard, it isn't a graphic like we see on many telecasts.

As for other chances to win, sure, but you're talking about a goal in the final second of the period that would have tied the score. That is a huge momentum swing.
                              Agreed on it being hugely important. The game was basically over after it was waived off.

I think this is an example of a call where there isn't necessarily a right or wrong call. People need to accept that some are going to be 50/50 no matter how many cameras there are.

Comment

I think either Hayes has to move back to D, or Norman has to go in there, and Rutt sits. His nonchalant gliding 20 feet away while there was a Vermont guy on the post hacking away at the puck on their second goal was inexcusable. Just no urgency from him at all to try to get back and break up a scoring chance, let alone that guy should have never been there uncovered in the first place. And he's got an 'A' on his jersey. Way to set the example.

That 'A' has to go, and he needs to sit, if that's the best effort he can put in while wearing a Maine uniform.

Comment

Working...
                                X