X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
    I realize how frustrating it is to lose multiple consecutive games. However, in my opinion throwing your team "under the bus" may not be the most productive strategy. He threatens to bench players and substitute them with others. He then says I still believe in you and we will stick with it. Which is it? I trust that he knows his team well enough before launching a public attack. Could it possibly be the opposition is just better?
    I think there is a big difference between losing the two Union games and Saturday night UVM game versus the Friday night UVM game and two BU games. In the first three games I mentioned Maine was second best and you have to tip your hat to the opposition. In the second three games Maine was ahead in all of them, two of them in the third period, and should have gotten something out of them. I still can't believe how poor last night's game was all the way around. I'm sure York was thrilled with the win, but he must have been thinking to himself 'W T F is this rubbish, no way this can be Maine-BC.' The fact there were only three penalties taken during the game shows the lack of intensity on both sides.

It's true Maine needs more talent and that has been the reason behind a lot of losses. At the same time though Maine has completely thrown away great positions in a few games. They only have one league game in the next couple of months and hopefully can re-group for the rest of the league games. I would like to see Musil get some more games and maybe let Hayes have some games on D. I'm not sure the story on Nugnes but at some point he deserves a look in.
    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If people aren’t going to do what is required, they won’t be in the lineup.
      Would have been nice for the reporter(Larry) to ask a follow-up here and get the details on what Red's talking about, but since Larry probably wasn't even there, and is just quoting this from a videoed press conference, I guess that's all we can expect.

I can assume Red's not too happy with his team's work ethic and intensity on the ice. Especially if DoubleA's take on the games is accurate. Appears they just phoned in their effort in the BC game.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Especially if DoubleA's take on the games is accurate. Appears they just phoned in their effort in the BC game.
        We were at both games. DoubleA's take on the games is accurate.

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
        I think there is a big difference between losing the two Union games and Saturday night UVM game versus the Friday night UVM game and two BU games. In the first three games I mentioned Maine was second best and you have to tip your hat to the opposition. In the second three games Maine was ahead in all of them, two of them in the third period, and should have gotten something out of them. I still can't believe how poor last night's game was all the way around. I'm sure York was thrilled with the win, but he must have been thinking to himself 'W T F is this rubbish, no way this can be Maine-BC.' The fact there were only three penalties taken during the game shows the lack of intensity on both sides.

It's true Maine needs more talent and that has been the reason behind a lot of losses. At the same time though Maine has completely thrown away great positions in a few games. They only have one league game in the next couple of months and hopefully can re-group for the rest of the league games. I would like to see Musil get some more games and maybe let Hayes have some games on D. I'm not sure the story on Nugnes but at some point he deserves a look in.
        Watching the Friday night game unfold I was thinking that Maine was working really hard at the beginning of the game. By the third period, though, that hard work had tired them out and they really couldn't respond well when BU started to turn it on. I don't think it's necessarily conditioning; I think it's mostly overall skating ability. BU looked like their skating is natural and most of the players generate speed without a lot of effort. Maine's players were scrambling; it paid off early but it took its toll. Overall it was an exciting hockey game and we came away frustrated with the loss but thinking if they play this way against other teams wins will come.

Saturday, though, was rubbish; don't know what JY was talking about. All 4 in our group thought it was one of the least inspired games we've ever seen. I think most spectators felt the same based on the level of buzz in the arena - they should refund the tickets! My thought after the game was "the only team that played well was the BC Pep Band!"

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        I realize how frustrating it is to lose multiple consecutive games. However, in my opinion throwing your team "under the bus" may not be the most productive strategy. He threatens to bench players and substitute them with others. He then says I still believe in you and we will stick with it. Which is it? I trust that he knows his team well enough before launching a public attack. Could it possibly be the opposition is just better?
        I thought Red's Friday's press conference was spot on: http://hockey.dailyfreepress.com/201...in-over-maine/
        Does anyone have a link to the Saturday press conference? I'm thinking he's referring to the "gliders," but words matter and he should be more precise.
        Last edited by blackbear80; 11-23-2014, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
          My thought after the game was "the only team that played well was the BC Pep Band!"
          They sounded pretty good over the radio too!

Comment

Maine went through the motions Saturday simple as that. They don't have the intestinal fortitude to play back to back good games. You best believe one of walshys team would have come out like their hair was on fire saturday night after a tough Friday loss. You simply cannot afford to give away points in this league
            Last edited by all bear; 11-23-2014, 06:44 PM.
            sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
              Maine went through the motions Saturday simple as that. They don't have the intestinal fortitude to play back to back good games. You best believe one of walshys team would have come out like their hair was on fire saturday night after a tough Friday loss. You simply cannot afford to give away points in this league
              UVM on Saturday after losing to UCONN the previous night came back and thumped UMass-Amherst 11-1. Things won't get any easier for Maine this weekend with Vermont up for a few games in Orono.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                I'm just hoping that the hockey program wins again someday before I die.
                You might want to check with your physician to see how much longer you have, it may be a bit of a wait after what we witnessed on Saturday night.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbear80 View Post
                  We were at both games. DoubleA's take on the games is accurate.

Watching the Friday night game unfold I was thinking that Maine was working really hard at the beginning of the game. By the third period, though, that hard work had tired them out and they really couldn't respond well when BU started to turn it on....
                  Exactly my point. Maine needs to work 120-130% harder than a BU or other top team to a) be competitive and b) win the game. And that 120-130% takes its toll by the third period. These kids are as well conditioned as any other team, I believe. They just don't have the depth or have not developed the potential talent they have yet. And again, he's trying really hard, but #94 is not playing the same brand of hockey that he was playing last year. No way.

Comment

I know some others have already mentioned it but it is tough to imagine Maine looking any worse than they did on Saturday night. Dreadful performance. I am shocked because I keep hearing about all these blue chippers coming in to Orono from BBDiehard and DrewS but boy they play more like cow chips than blue chips.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

I hate to say it but the departure of Lomberg may have impacted these guys mentally a little bit. He was a tough one to replace

Comment

• Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                        I know some others have already mentioned it but it is tough to imagine Maine looking any worse than they did on Saturday night. Dreadful performance. I am shocked because I keep hearing about all these blue chippers coming in to Orono from BBDiehard and DrewS but boy they play more like cow chips than blue chips.
                        See my earlier comments, hard to believe that was Maine and BC playing. BC played some good defense, but other than that the game was pretty dreadful. There was just very little intensity on either side. I will say that I was pretty impressed with Tuch, not much quality up front for BC other than that.
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio View Post
                          You should be used to fan boys by now.
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                            I hate to say it but the departure of Lomberg may have impacted these guys mentally a little bit. He was a tough one to replace
                            I think that does play into things a little bit. Someone posted here a week ago too that Shore, Hutton and Lomberg are all from Ontario on top of being in the same class year together. I wonder if Maine has a team sports psychologist.

Comment

Latest from BDN:

UMaine hockey coach says struggling team is close to being successful

By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
                              Posted Nov. 24, 2014, at 6:39 p.m.
                              http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/2...ef=regionstate

Comment

All five of the losses have come at the hands of teams currently ranked in the top 13 in the United States College Hockey Online poll: two apiece to No. 1 Boston University (3-1 and 3-2 in overtime) and No. 13 Vermont (4-3 in overtime, 4-1) and one to No. 12 Boston College (4-1).
                                It's facts like this that really have me questioning the sky is falling fair weather posters on this board. Losing to teams like this is no shame, and a break here or there, and there could have been three wins out of this bunch just as easily.

I'd like to see lines of

Leen Shore Swavely
                                Vesey Brown Pecararo
                                Morgan Higgins Byron

And I don't know about a fourth line. I like what I've seen of Hayes as a winger, and the team badly needs his size and grit. Is Lecroix the only center who can play there, or is there someone else? Maybe a line of Merchant, Campbell and Hayes, or maybe work Tegeler in there? Have a big, bumping fourth line like Walsh used to play, with guys like Tepper, Lacouture, Widmeyer. Or maybe put Lecroix on the third between Morgan and Byron and drop Higgins to the fourth?

No true second and third lines anyway, the Brown line could be third, while Morgan and Byron and whoever's centering be the second. Not a whole lot of difference.

Not having seen the games in person, I'm not as down on the defense as some are. I thought they played pretty well the first game against BU, a game I was able to see. Maybe pair Hamilton with Hutton, and Riley with Rutt? Love the Schuhamer-Renouf pair.

Romeo seems like he's played pretty well, well enough to earn the starting job. Work Morris and Nugnes in when you can against lesser opponents Don't overwork him like Ouellette was last year.
                                Last edited by rufus; 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM.
                                What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Working...
                                X