X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I don't buy the whole team tanking at the end thing. Maine wouldn't have beaten Providence regardless of when they played them. If Northeastern would have won their last regular season game things might have turned out a lot differently.
    No but Maine wouldn't have played PC that early in the playoffs if they had won some of those games they tanked at the end. Its just talk. Red needs time. I like the way they play, BU and Maine chewed up the ice, its was up and down, entertaining game to watch. Time will tell if he can get top tier recruits to show up. Another complaint about Whitehead is he couldn't sell the program? I doon't know if its true or not because every team(except BC and Minnie) lose recruits to other teams. We'll see if he loses some of the younger guys to Major Jr. I want wins now but I'll take steady improvement over the season
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Latest from the BDN:

Maine hockey’s special teams sputtering during three-game losing streak
      By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
      Posted Nov. 17, 2014, at 4:12 p.m.
      http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...?ref=SportsBox

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
        Latest from the BDN:

Maine hockey’s special teams sputtering during three-game losing streak
        By Larry Mahoney, BDN Staff
        Posted Nov. 17, 2014, at 4:12 p.m.
        http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...?ref=SportsBox
        Its the same excuses we've been hearing for years. Sick of hearing them, do something about it
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
          Shame on me for failing to include:

8. The decision to not allow Ryan Lomberg to remain enrolled at the University and play hockey was monumentally short-sighted of the new Madame President and Administration (but very politically correct which we all love) and has proven already to be materially damaging to the '14-15 team. This is really not opinion. It is fact.

With 30% of the regular season behind us, in no certain order:

1. Unfortunately not the team I expected. Logically, '13-14 was much better than '12-13 and the expectation is '14-15 will be better than '13-14. Not the case - so far. Hockey is not logical.
          2. Except for Marty, we did not graduate any mentionable talent last year. None that makes a difference. Freshman class more than replaces whatever was lost.
          3. Good Freshman class last year. Except for Brown, as Soph's they are unremarkable. They need to step up. Period.
          4. #10 and #94 are definitely struggling. Not sure why. They were #1 & 2 scorers on last year's mediocre roster. Head & shoulders over the rest of the team. Straight line math at this point in the season says they end up with less than half of last year's point production. What the puck? They need to step it up. Act like leaders. Period.
          5. Vesey and Pecararo are pretty highly touted. Supposed to be guns. They are not guns. Not so far.
          6. Goaltending is a B- so far. It is OK, not "very good", not "great". This was to be expected. Notwithstanding, they are both improving but these are projects. They're both good but not difference makers. Most nights, Marty was a difference maker. To be fair, Romeo was very good last night. But I agree with the big goalie comments. These big guys (e.g. Gillies & O'Connor) are just as fast and agile as the smaller guys but cover 20-30% more net. Which do YOU want?
          7. Red is the right coach...repeat...Red Gendron is the right coach. Don't even start with the nonsense. Whereas I'll never say 'Just be patient', I will say 'Give him some time to get this train wreck he was left back on track.'

"It's on Red to get 100% out of 50% talent." Amen CK1969
          Regarding the sophomores..: schurhamer carries the puck as well as imes or bourque...

Regarding the team "at this point in the season"... Look at who maine has played compared to the cupcakes the first third of last season

Comment

• Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            Bingo. Been kinda saying the same thing for a couple years now. The BC's and Minnys of the world will always compete. But the rest of the landscape will be fluid. Just look who's #1 in the polls this week. Look who's been in the frz 4's the last few years. The times have changed. Jr's and early signings have depleted the talent pool greatly. recruiting is more competitive than ever esp when a kid knows he can go to a Prov, UML. Union, Qpac etc etc and compete for a title. 10 years ago a kid had to go to a BC, Michigan, No Dak,.....Maine, to have a shot at a nat champ. It's not like that anymore. Nor will it ever be again. Being relevant as a program is going to more on the league level than the national level. Trips to the Frz 4 are going to be a one or twice a decade thing, not an annual thing. Just the way it is. IMO.
            We talk time and again about Maine's relative lack of talent vs other HE teams and some Div 1 teams in general. Yes, the BC's and Minny's draw more NHL draft quality kids. The rub is they stay 1-2-or maybe 3 years generally speaking. NHL draft picks:
            Notre Dm 10
            BC 9
            Prov 7
            BU 7 and Eichel isn't even drafted yet...so 8
            Maine 4
            UNH 3
            Vermont 2
            UMLowell 1
            A sampling of eight HE teams. Top 4 Private , Next four Public. Doesn't necessarily translate to ranking and overall team success. Lowell is the notable success story here. If UMLowell can recruit and be highly successful (last 4 years), logically Red, Jay and Ben should be able to hold their own in this new landscape of Div 1 hockey recruits. I think we will see it. The wait is somewhat painful. It shouldn't take 4 years.

Comment

I can't post the link from my phone, but story in BDN where Vitorino hits out at Whitehead and says in no uncertain terms that Grant was axed. I don't think anything has publicly been said that candid before regarding Tim.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                I can't post the link from my phone, but story in BDN where Vitorino hits out at Whitehead and says in no uncertain terms that Grant was axed. I don't think anything has publicly been said that candid before regarding Tim.
                http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...al-title-team/

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Its the same excuses we've been hearing for years. Sick of hearing them, do something about it
                  Yep. We havn't had a descent PP since Abbott and Flynn left. This is all the same stuff we've been hearing for a few years now. It's nauseating. Nothing changes.

Comment

From a much earlier article when Grant retired. Speaking about Montgomery and Gendron. Some good perspective for the naysayers out there:

They’re both going to be very successful,” said Standbrook. “They’re terrific coaches. They’re well-organized, they know the game, they’re good with people and they’re decisive.

“And they don’t micromanage,” added Standbrook.

He said it will take some time for Gendron to rebuild the Maine program.

“It’s not going to happen overnight but Red will get it done. I hope all the alums get behind him. I know they will,” said Standbrook, who was inducted into the Manitoba Hall of Fame last year.

Standbrook also was pleased about the appointment of Guite, who will get his first coaching stint after recently retiring from a 13-year, 851-game pro career that included 175 NHL games.

“He has a good background. He is going to attract players. He was a hardworking player who persevered, made it to the NHL and survived a lot of years in pro hockey. He’s a classy kid who is fluent in French and English. He will really represent the university well when he goes out to recruit players and their families,” said Standbrook.
                    sure why not

Comment

“And they don’t micromanage,” added Standbrook.
                      Tell me that's not a slam.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        Yes indeed... +1 ... like it or not fix it and leave the talking/crying? to the Coaching Staff.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Tell me that's not a slam.
                          B I N G O!!! another +1

Comment

Look ahead to this weekend with the angle on the freshmen from Massachusetts

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/2...ming-of-sorts/

Comment

Playing the #'s 3 and 12 teams in the country tomorrow and Sat., Maine has their hands mega-full this weekend. Understatement.

UMass is the only non-nationally ranked team they've played so far this season. A year ago this time, BC was the only ranked team they had played. Maine beat BU and BC by a total of 12-1 in these same two games (at Alfond) last season. I'm scratching my head wondering how.

This year's schedule compared to last year's is crazy hard. If we ever start winning, it will be a much bigger accomplishment than the wins we racked up during the first half of '13-14. This schedule is much tougher sledding that alot of people recognize.

The lack of interest, lack of posting here speaks volumes as to why Alfond isn't full every game. Win and they will come.

Comment

• Originally posted by DoubleA View Post
                                Win and they will come.
                                Hopefully it's that simple. I'm a pessimist when it comes to reality, and I know that although some may continue to live the dream, others are doing their best to get by. Attendance has taken a backseat when other priorities are more pressing. I love Maine Hockey, but I know I personally can't afford to be at the Alfond every time they play.
                                Last edited by blackbearbandie; 11-20-2014, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X