This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
    Here's the question - If Red had been coaching either of the two Timmay nat. title game teams, or any of the other NCAA teams, espec. the 2012 team, would he have won any of those games that Whitehead lost?
    Stupid question. Who Ta phk can possibly know
    sure why not

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by all bear View Post
      Stupid question. Who Ta phk can possibly know
      Carnac?
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
        Carnac?
        Not if asked within the context of, would a different coach have chosen different strategies, ie, different player/line matchups, players on the ice, especially late in games, given how close many of those games were. A pair of two goal leads in two diff games coughed up, surrendering tying and OT goals? C'mon throw Mrs. Whitehead a doggy bone.
        Last edited by hobeyfaker; 11-16-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Red has been on the job 16 Months!!!!

It took Walsh 3 seasons to have a winning record at Maine. It took York 4 seasons to have a winning record at BC.

Look at the coaching history page. No one showed up, brought in ten blue chippers, and went on to steamroll the league in a season and a half!

You guys are a bunch of salads!

Comment

Originally posted by Tango View Post

It took Walsh 3 seasons to have a winning record at Maine. It took York 4 seasons to have a winning record at BC.

Look at the coaching history page. No one showed up, brought in ten blue chippers, and went on to steamroll the league in a season and a half!

When Walsh took over it was a completely diff set of circumstances. More a newbie program with zero history of success. Not even remotely compareable. He was building a program brick by brick. BTW - Bazin at Lowell did just what you said no one s done.
            Last edited by hobeyfaker; 11-16-2014, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Seven seasons, three with winning records when Walsh took over.

What history of success had Whitehead had over the last seven seasons? You'd have been calling for Walshy's head halfway into his second season if you had been around back then.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Bazin took a 5-24 team to two consecutive NCAA appearances, in his first two seasons. It can be done.

Comment

• Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
                  When Walsh took over it was a completely diff set of circumstances. More a newbie program with zero history of success. Not even remotely compareable. He was building a program brick by brick. BTW - Bazin at Lowell did just what you said no one s done.
                  Norm got a team with some goal scoring ability and two top end goalies already on the team to play well. Yes Norm did that. Steamrolled the leage with top recruiting classes. Not close my salady friend!

Give Red the goaltending Norm inherited his first two years and their an easy NCAA team last year and at least at 500 with a tough schedual this year.
                  Last edited by Tango; 11-16-2014, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Norm got a team with some goal scoring ability and two top end goalies already on the team to play well. Yes Norm did that. Steamrolled the leage with top recruiting classes. Not close my salady friend!

Give Red the goaltending Norm inherited his first two years and their an easy NCAA team last year and at least at 500 with a tough schedual this year.
                    Marty wasn't chopped liver, he had a good goalie last year. The team tanked at the end. What are the chances he lost them at the end of the season? I think its possible and thats on Red. The same things keep happening this year.
                    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      Marty wasn't chopped liver, he had a good goalie last year. The team tanked at the end. What are the chances he lost them at the end of the season? I think its possible and thats on Red. The same things keep happening this year.
                      I don't buy the whole team tanking at the end thing. Maine wouldn't have beaten Providence regardless of when they played them. If Northeastern would have won their last regular season game things might have turned out a lot differently.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

So I am going to pull one from the Whitehead apologist playbook.........if not Gendron then who??? Come on you bunch of college hockey know-it-alls.......you must have a bunch of coaching candidates in mind?

Here's the deal........Maine is no longer a top level program in any way, shape or form. I look at UM hockey as being similar to the football program.......they are in a top level conference which competes for national championships, but there are numerous teams in the conference with much better programs that have more resources, better facilities and larger fan bases. That doesn't mean that every once in a while that Maine can't compete for an NCAA playoff berth or maybe a once a decade Frozen 4 berth.......but the days of annual playoff bound teams are over.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          So I am going to pull one from the Whitehead apologist playbook.........if not Gendron then who??? Come on you bunch of college hockey know-it-alls.......you must have a bunch of coaching candidates in mind?

Here's the deal........Maine is no longer a top level program in any way, shape or form. I look at UM hockey as being similar to the football program.......they are in a top level conference which competes for national championships, but there are numerous teams in the conference with much better programs that have more resources, better facilities and larger fan bases. That doesn't mean that every once in a while that Maine can't compete for an NCAA playoff berth or maybe a once a decade Frozen 4 berth.......but the days of annual playoff bound teams are over.
                          Maybe Matt Thomas? I think Ronan could be a candidate down the road. I think Cavanaugh would have been ideal last time around but it never sounded like he was really in the frame.

Look at the pairwise standings. The days of the good programs and bad programs have disappeared, unfortunately. I think Maine will improve in the upcoming seasons but don't think things will ever be the way they used to be. That has more to do with college hockey in general than Maine's program.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Maybe Matt Thomas? I think Ronan could be a candidate down the road. I think Cavanaugh would have been ideal last time around but it never sounded like he was really in the frame.

Look at the pairwise standings. The days of the good programs and bad programs have disappeared, unfortunately. I think Maine will improve in the upcoming seasons but don't think things will ever be the way they used to be. That has more to do with college hockey in general than Maine's program.
                            Agreed.

Red is a good fit for this program at this time in this era. There were other issues with Whitehead beyond recruiting......he alienated fans, donors, and alums. He was not a good ambassador or promoter of the program. Red fits the bill there.......and he has a lot of experience and contacts....hopefully those will serve him well and just maybe......maybe......he will lead Maine to a Frozen 4 before is all said and done.

Comment

Corkum was the guy and if was 1A than Red is 1B
                              Red will do fine, great guy, very good coach and cares about program. Give him 2 or 3 years to put his identity on team

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                Bingo. Been kinda saying the same thing for a couple years now. The BC's and Minnys of the world will always compete. But the rest of the landscape will be fluid. Just look who's #1 in the polls this week. Look who's been in the frz 4's the last few years. The times have changed. Jr's and early signings have depleted the talent pool greatly. recruiting is more competitive than ever esp when a kid knows he can go to a Prov, UML. Union, Qpac etc etc and compete for a title. 10 years ago a kid had to go to a BC, Michigan, No Dak,.....Maine, to have a shot at a nat champ. It's not like that anymore. Nor will it ever be again. Being relevant as a program is going to more on the league level than the national level. Trips to the Frz 4 are going to be a one or twice a decade thing, not an annual thing. Just the way it is. IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X