This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

When evaluating the first 1/3 of the season and wondering what the difference is between this year and last year, I think there are some intangible factors that are being overlooked when it comes to team dynamics. I know Lomberg was talked about plenty in the preseason, but to say it's all completely irrelevant now when the team is underperforming would be to overlook a major piece of the puzzle that was removed from last year. Wasn't he the team's third leading scorer last year? These guys aren't machines out there, and I'm sure it does affect them somewhat -especially the Junior class- not having a friend and teammate out on the ice with them who had been there the previous two seasons.
    Last edited by blackbearbandie; 11-16-2014, 06:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
      Not sure how you think Red is going to get BC/BU caliber recruits to magically show up in Orono after the Tim Whitehead Sh*tshow drove this program into the abyss. If you don't have the horses.......you're not going to win, place or show in this league......period.
      How did previous doormats like Union and Quinnipiac do it?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        You better go look at the tape again if you think UHN outplayed Maine in the '99 championship game.

Mrs. Whitehead, I think you've been in the sauce a bit too much.
        Sorry, I've had this same discussion countless times with many. We were outplayed, except in the most important department of goaltending. UNH had a more talented team with Hobey winner Krog, and they won Hoc East that year.

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
          ........... I know Lomberg was talked about plenty in the preseason, but to say it's all completely irrelevant now when the team is underperforming would be to overlook a major piece of the puzzle that was removed from last year...........
          Tim was villified by posters on this forum when he honestly made comments about players leaving early and how it affected the team's on ice production. Your comment by the way is credible. I do think this team will improve and get some wins down the stretch (unlike last year's team which "tanked"). Gendron's recruits are no better than Tim's, but I am a patient person. I am even willing to give him two more years on his 4 year contract. I recognize the many obstacles involved with college coaching. Having said that, it only took Norm Bazin and Nate Leaman one year to turn their programs around.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
            Tim was villified by posters on this forum when he honestly made comments about players leaving early and how it affected the team's on ice production. Your comment by the way is credible. I do think this team will improve and get some wins down the stretch (unlike last year's team which "tanked"). Gendron's recruits are no better than Tim's, but I am a patient person. I am even willing to give him two more years on his 4 year contract. I recognize the many obstacles involved with college coaching. Having said that, it only took Norm Bazin and Nate Leaman one year to turn their programs around.
            I certainly was not one of them. It's not like there are tons of other Teddy Purcells out there you can just ring up and have come in. I think you are wrong, at least this year, as far as Red's recruits not being better than Tim's. Pecararo(semi-timmy recruit), Vesey, and Hamilton are much better than Anthoine, S. Swavely, and O'Connor.

I've been thinking a lot about the Lomberg situation and I agree it is having a really negative influence on the team, for more than one reason too. You look at the two guys who are underperforming the most, juniors from Ontario. What would Lomberg have been? A junior from Ontario. Where it was decided he left so late Maine is basically playing with one less top six forward too. He might not have been a 50 point guy but I think he would have had 12-15 goals and 25 points or so this year. The thing where I think they miss him most is the competitiveness he brought. I think he would have been by a mile the most competitive guy on the team. Not having guys like him on the team has really hurt Maine this year and is something Red needs to get right in next year's recruiting class.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
              Any coach who wins 3 nat titles in 6 years can prob have his job for another 5-8 years, especially a coach of Jerry York's ilk.
              How did previous doormats like Union and Quinnipiac do it?
              Sorry, I've had this same discussion countless times with many. We were outplayed, except in the most important department of goaltending. UNH had a more talented team with Hobey winner Krog, and they won Hoc East that year.
              I know of only one other poster on these threads that can state things as fact, back track and spin his original post quite like you. Oh, wait...

BTW... what did QU do?
              'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
                I know of only one other poster on these threads that can state things as fact, back track and spin his original post quite like you. Oh, wait...

BTW... what did QU do?
                Lol, they went to a Nat. title game, remember?

Comment

Lol, they went to a Nat. title game, remember?
                  Who remembers the second place team, especially when they get blown out of the building?
                  'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Who remembers the second place team, especially when they get blown out of the building?
                    I dunno about you, but appearing in a national title game sounds pretty good to me. I'd take a trip to the gahden as successful, the way this seasons goin, and I'm talkin the HE playoffs obviously, not the FF, also there.
                    Last edited by hobeyfaker; 11-16-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

I dunno about you, but appearing in a national title game sounds pretty good to me. I'd take a trip to the gahden as successful, the way this seasons goin, and I'm talkin the HE playoffs obviously, not the FF, also there.
                      Without looking it up or thinking about it... how many second place finishes has BC had in the FF since 1998? How many NC's?
                      See? Who gives a crap about 2nd place? I don't even know and that's my team. But I know how many NC's.

FWIW... hoky is much more entertaining.

Comment

Shame on me for failing to include yesterday:

8. The decision to not allow Ryan Lomberg to remain enrolled at the University and play hockey was monumentally short-sighted of the new Madame President and Administration (but very politically correct which we all love) and has proven already to be materially damaging to the '14-15 team. This is really not opinion. It is fact.

Comment

Without looking it up or thinking about it... how many second place finishes has BC had in the FF since 1998? How many NC's?
                          See? Who gives a crap about 2nd place? I don't even know and that's my team. But I know how many NC's.

FWIW... hoky is much more entertaining.
                          If we had only the number of FF appearances and runner up's over the past 8-10 yrs as BC, then Tim Whitehead would still be our coach. That's my point.

Comment

pretty sure Hakstol's job is not at risk... As a fan, I would take his 'non-accomplishments' over Timmy's and Red's any day.

Comment

If we had only the number of FF appearances and runner up's over the past 8-10 yrs as BC, then Tim Whitehead would still be our coach. That's my point.
                              Ahhh, I see... bring back TIMMAY!

Excuse me while I go get some popcorn.

Comment

Ahhh, I see... bring back TIMMAY!

Excuse me while I go get some popcorn.
                                Well I am now referred to as Mrs. Whitehead. What do you expect?

Comment

Working...
                                X