X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
    Fire RED. We are 3-7. Nothing has changed. We are not headed in any Right Direction. IT's M.O.T.S.
    Sorry......Red gets a least a decade like TIMMAY did. Fair is fair.

Comment

Maine is simply outgunned. Do you all not see this? Oh sure they have two suedo all Americans, but no supporting cast. With the addition of Eichrel, a guy who simply hates to lose, BU(t) is a much better team and you can see their talent depth rising to the top.
      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Many posters on this forum ridiculed and insulted Tim. Many of them maintained it was all about on ice coaching. The talent was there, but was being mismanaged. Now the team has some of the old players and a few of Gendron's. It appears at this point it might be more than just on ice coaching.
        Its always been about recruiting, obviously Tim did fine with Walshys(aka Grants) recruits. I think people did dislike Tims style of play, at least Red goes north south.

The ice was chewed up last night, it was a hard skating game. I don't think Maine could do much else, they got behind the D alot but once again they make the goalie look like Ken Dryden. Not sure about the rest but I like big goalies , he definitely takes up some room. Romeo is a smurf and has to be in perfect position. the loss certainly wasn't on Romeo. Special teams(specifically the PP) is what is killing Maine hockey at this point.

I noticed Hayes last night, he was gassed. While I like his physical play he is indeed a project.
        Last edited by walrus; 11-15-2014, 06:26 AM.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          once again they make the goalie look like Ken Dryden.
          Maine had some great chances, but except for that first goal they just didn't finish. Red has mentioned before that they need to be more precise, and when it comes to finishing and scoring they just haven't been able to do that last critical part that you need to actually win games.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            Sorry, but other than that horrible turnover by Swavely, and then his equally horrible play at the blue line to try to stop him, I thought this was probably the most solid effort Maine has put in all season. They continue to play like this, and they should win more than they lose.
            100% agree. BU has more talent period. A lot of teams have way more talent. But if they play hard and with heart and grit like last night they'll win some games. It's on Red to get 100% out of 50% talent.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
              Many posters on this forum ridiculed and insulted Tim. Many of them maintained it was all about on ice coaching. The talent was there, but was being mismanaged. Now the team has some of the old players and a few of Gendron's. It appears at this point it might be more than just on ice coaching.
              It was both. There were years when they lacked talent and other years when the team was quite talented and couldn't defensively coach its way out a paper bag. I honestly have no idea which one of those this 14-15 team falls into. In August I thought they were pretty talented but I'm starting to think they're just not.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Its always been about recruiting, obviously Tim did fine with Walshys(aka Grants) recruits. I think people did dislike Tims style of play, at least Red goes north south.

The ice was chewed up last night, it was a hard skating game. I don't think Maine could do much else, they got behind the D alot but once again they make the goalie look like Ken Dryden. Not sure about the rest but I like big goalies , he definitely takes up some room. Romeo is a smurf and has to be in perfect position. the loss certainly wasn't on Romeo. Special teams(specifically the PP) is what is killing Maine hockey at this point.

I noticed Hayes last night, he was gassed. While I like his physical play he is indeed a project.
                Right, he was gassed and when that happens players tend to take bad penalties which Hayes did but it was a rookie mistake for not getting off. It appeared Red explained that to him on his return to the bench.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  After last weekend I'm not sure it matters how they play in front of. Being home should help but who knows. Love to see Hates lay out the phenom
                  Well instead you noticed hayes couldnt get withing 15 feet of the phenom

And uf you paid attention you noteced that shore is slow as can be.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
                    It was both. There were years when they lacked talent and other years when the team was quite talented and couldn't defensively coach its way out a paper bag. I honestly have no idea which one of those this 14-15 team falls into. In August I thought they were pretty talented but I'm starting to think they're just not.
                    They aren't awful, I think they can improve but they aren't getting home ice for HE thats for sure. I was thinking 5 or 6th but now I'm thinking 8th maybe. I liked the line with Vesey and Pecarro. They were behind BUs D all night but they couldn't get it past the goalie. If they play as hard as they did last night I'd be satisfied no matter what their record says. I still have little faith in their ability to play like that on the road but we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
                      Well instead you noticed hayes couldnt get withing 15 feet of the phenom

And uf you paid attention you noteced that shore is slow as can be.
                      I doubt Hayes was on the ice when Eichel was out there but whatever. No doubt Shore is struggling for whatever reason

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                        I doubt Hayes was on the ice when Eichel was out there but whatever. No doubt Shore is struggling for whatever reason
                        Maybe the penalty box thing in the exhibition game?
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

BU was the better team last night...they have improved big time from last year...for starters O'Conner was the difference last night as he made key saves and has a excellent glove...he is BIG and takes up much to most of the net,not any room to score on him unless there deflected...he makes them a better team...plus BU was bigger and more or less wore Maine out each period...Eichel is the real deal...he's smooth and has a wicked wrist shot release...talented to the degree he'll ONLY be around for this season and next(imo)...Maine's Remeo can't be faulted at all last night...1st goal he had no chance and the second goal had NO BUSINESS even being scored while on the Maine Power-Play...plus the 3rd goal you can't stop a E.N.G. from the bench...Maine has to get bigger/stronger and I also noticed that some(not all)players are not in tip top condition. Its the same thing over and over...if you've seen this team from the start of the season to last night,its the talent level/size and the need for a game stealing Goaltender(no slight on Remeo's performance last night).

Comment

I agree with you on Hayes, but Shore was certainly on the ice with Eichel and as Terrierfaninla said Shore is really slow in comparison. He received a -1. On faceoff's , Eichel was kicked out on more than a couple of occasions. Obviously anticipating the puck drop.

Comment

• Hard work beats talent except when talent works. BU worked harder than any BU team has in recent memory imo
                              Last edited by all bear; 11-15-2014, 01:58 PM.
                              sure why not

Comment

Shame on me for failing to include:

8. The decision to not allow Ryan Lomberg to remain enrolled at the University and play hockey was monumentally short-sighted of the new Madame President and Administration (but very politically correct which we all love) and has proven already to be materially damaging to the '14-15 team. This is really not opinion. It is fact.

With 30% of the regular season behind us, in no certain order:

1. Unfortunately not the team I expected. Logically, '13-14 was much better than '12-13 and the expectation is '14-15 will be better than '13-14. Not the case - so far. Hockey is not logical.
                                2. Except for Marty, we did not graduate any mentionable talent last year. None that makes a difference. Freshman class more than replaces whatever was lost.
                                3. Good Freshman class last year. Except for Brown, as Soph's they are unremarkable. They need to step up. Period.
                                4. #10 and #94 are definitely struggling. Not sure why. They were #1 & 2 scorers on last year's mediocre roster. Head & shoulders over the rest of the team. Straight line math at this point in the season says they end up with less than half of last year's point production. What the puck? They need to step it up. Act like leaders. Period.
                                5. Vesey and Pecararo are pretty highly touted. Supposed to be guns. They are not guns. Not so far.
                                6. Goaltending is a B- so far. It is OK, not "very good", not "great". This was to be expected. Notwithstanding, they are both improving but these are projects. They're both good but not difference makers. Most nights, Marty was a difference maker. To be fair, Romeo was very good last night. But I agree with the big goalie comments. These big guys (e.g. Gillies & O'Connor) are just as fast and agile as the smaller guys but cover 20-30% more net. Which do YOU want?
                                7. Red is the right coach...repeat...Red Gendron is the right coach. Don't even start with the nonsense. Whereas I'll never say 'Just be patient', I will say 'Give him some time to get this train wreck he was left back on track.'

"It's on Red to get 100% out of 50% talent." Amen CK1969
                                Last edited by DoubleA; 11-16-2014, 10:02 AM. Reason: important info

Comment

Working...
                                X