X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
    Amen!!! Sick of this 'Rome wasn't built in a day' crap. This is a rabid fan base and losing does not sit well with us. We want NCAA appearances, not looking up at BC and BU every year
    Yup - We need look no further away then the ECAC and teams coming outta nowhere and winning national titles and having success. How did Union, without a single hockey scholarship, Yale, and Quinipiac do it?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      I heard rumors that late last year the team tuned out the barking. Not sure if it's true or not but it fits. Red is pretty intense and will get in your face in a heartbeat just talking to him
      Then there's the problem. Bunch of prima donnas who have been stars everywhere they played, had it easy on the ice, and spoiled rotten their whole lives, and now when they suddenly aren't stars or aren't successful, rather than listen and learn how to do the hard things they need to do to be successful, would rather just coast along in mediocrity.

If you as a hockey player can't pay attention to a guy who's got Stanley Cup rings, and do what he wants you to do, who are you gonna pay attention to?
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
        Bazin at Lowell has been incredible........credit given there.
        Well yeah. TIMMAY taught him everything he knows.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
          Yup - We need look no further away then the ECAC and teams coming outta nowhere and winning national titles and having success. How did Union, without a single hockey scholarship, Yale, and Quinipiac do it?
          Do you really think Union doesn't have hockey scholarships? There are all kinds of imaginative euphemisms available without calling it an athletic scholarship.
          Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            There is no doubt Timmy did a great job with certain recruits, he even put together two wonderful classes in 2008 and 2012. The problem was all the rubbish in between. I probably could put together an entire 20 man team of guys he brought in who flat out weren't good enough. It would be interesting to hear from someone like Runsub on where he thinks Timmy went wrong. I suspect putting too much emphasis on grades might have been a big part of it.
            Since you asked me. In my opinion It was indeed recruiting. Maine can recruit enough talent for a decent 1st and 2nd line, but not enough talent for a 3rd and 4th. When he had enough talent there was not a talented goal tender. It really starts with money. The last several years, other schools are committing more financial resources to their programs. New ice arenas and new programs (Penn State). The million dollar endowment that Savage recently established is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
              Do you really think Union doesn't have hockey scholarships? There are all kinds of imaginative euphemisms available without calling it an athletic scholarship.
              I am aware of this yes. Scholarships can be disguised in a number of ways, still, it's amazing a small school like this without official hockey scholarships could do what it did.

Comment

http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...y-last-season/

Latest from Mahoney, with optimistic quotes from players on turning things around...

Comment

[QUOTE=blackbearbandie;6036159]http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...y-last-season/

Latest from Mahoney, with optimistic quotes from players on turning things around...[/QUOTE

Blah.....Blah....Blah.., Im tired of hearing this. Start delivering on the ice.

Comment

[QUOTE=hobeyfaker;6036172]
                    Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                    http://bangordailynews.com/2014/11/1...y-last-season/

Latest from Mahoney, with optimistic quotes from players on turning things around...[/QUOTE

Blah.....Blah....Blah.., Im tired of hearing this. Start delivering on the ice.
                    I'm already tired of listening to you hobey. Go do something useful.
                    sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                      Oh yeah.

My friend's son was recruited by Union (for D-3 football, FCS) and this was a kid who shot his way out of a mediocre high school. He received a full ride at Union via what they called a "grant-in-aid", which is code for an athletic scholarship.

I'm not complaining: it's a level playing field now, unlike how it was say 20 years ago when one could use the term EZAC with a straight face... But I'd be surprised if Union, The Q, etc. have any fewer de-facto scholarship players than Michigan or Maine do. (Very surprised.)

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
                        The "summertime" thing was getting a bit old, so here's a new thread for the rest of the season.

Thoughts on UMass?
                        Is Musil injured? Saw him play early on and he looked comfortable out there. Been out of lineup recently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Doubleminor View Post
                          Is Musil injured? Saw him play early on and he looked comfortable out there. Been out of lineup recently.
                          I don't think he's hurt, it's more a case that Red prefers the size of Hayes and Merchant. With that being said, I think Musil is going to be a decent player for Maine. He is a lot better than I expected.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                            Oh yeah.

My friend's son was recruited by Union (for D-3 football, FCS) and this was a kid who shot his way out of a mediocre high school. He received a full ride at Union via what they called a "grant-in-aid", which is code for an athletic scholarship.

I'm not complaining: it's a level playing field now, unlike how it was say 20 years ago when one could use the term EZAC with a straight face... But I'd be surprised if Union, The Q, etc. have any fewer de-facto scholarship players than Michigan or Maine do. (Very surprised.)
                            ohh, PULEEEZ, next your gonna try telling us that BC has different academic standards for their regular students than for their student athletes.

WINK!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                              I don't think he's hurt, it's more a case that Red prefers the size of Hayes and Merchant. With that being said, I think Musil is going to be a decent player for Maine. He is a lot better than I expected.
                              Not strong enough
                              I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Watching Brian Flynn right now. He's on the 4th line of a very young Buffalo team but absolutely looks like he belongs on the ice. He's improved his speed and is making things happen, and playing very well in his own end. Has logged some PK minutes vs. a very good Blues team.

I think he'll be around for a while... (And I wonder why Abbott hasn't been called up, the way he's been lighting the lamps in the AHL.)
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-11-2014, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X