X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.
    I think in the long run Morris can be a really good goaltender, look at the difference between Marty in years 1 and 2 versus 3 and 4, and that's without injuries. My response was more towards the folks who were saying Maine hasn't had a good goalie recruit in a while and if they get one it'll help with some of these other issues they've had.

I can only speak for myself but when I see other programs being rebuilt and competing on a national level very quickly, I get impatient with this idea that we at Maine have to wait a while either because its hard to recruit here, or because Whitehead ruined the culture, or because the budget isn't big enough, or whatever else. It all sounds like excuses.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      You keep asking about Nugnes, do you have some inside info on him? My inside info says he has a good glove hand but thats it. He hasn't been concentrating on hockey all that long he was a lacrosse player 4 years ago. They needed a practice goalie so up he came.
      I can tell you one thing that he's not a practice goalie...and I'll leave it at that.

Comment

Originally posted by BBDiehard14 View Post
        But the media scribes on here are thinking Vermont will sweep us. I don't see that happening. I think Maine is better than their record shows and Vermont isn't as good as theirs shows. Yes, their D has been sound, but teams like Clarkson and Northeastern aren't exactly world-beaters. Maine can steal at least one game in Burlington.
        I hate to add insult to injury for ME fans but sorry I just can't help myself.

Maybe you can exact some revenge when we visit ALfond.
        Originally posted by Hokydad
        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
          I can tell you one thing that he's not a practice goalie...and I'll leave it at that.
          Huh, maybe one slipped thru the cracks, be nice if he could help the team.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

I have been reading these Maine Hockey threads for years now. Those of you who are willing to give Red a 3-4 year pass are being far too patient. As already stated, Prov and Lowell did it within a year or two. This team needs to be winning more games now. I'm so sick and tired of the losing. At the present time, the only talented players we have had in the past 5 years have all been Whitehead recruits. Does anyone really believe we are gonna be better next year when two all Americans are gone? We won't be. Red needs to be held fully accountable for this teams performance this season, and I believe even he would agree. On most nights, we simply don't have enough talented players on the ice to beat descent teams. Our goaltenders aren't good enough to steal games and the team speed isn't great. We are a very mediocre hockey team and I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's very frustrating and discouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
              I have been reading these Maine Hockey threads for years now. Those of you who are willing to give Red a 3-4 year pass are being far too patient. As already stated, Prov and Lowell did it within a year or two. This team needs to be winning more games now. I'm so sick and tired of the losing. At the present time, the only talented players we have had in the past 5 years have all been Whitehead recruits. Does anyone really believe we are gonna be better next year when two all Americans are gone? We won't be. Red needs to be held fully accountable for this teams performance this season, and I believe even he would agree. On most nights, we simply don't have enough talented players on the ice to beat descent teams. Our goaltenders aren't good enough to steal games and the team speed isn't great. We are a very mediocre hockey team and I don't see this changing anytime soon. It's very frustrating and discouraging.
              Gendron has had exactly 1 recruiting class of HIS recruits (and Pecarraro is a Whitehead recruit)......are we going to judge his recruits after 10 games???

Nate Leaman at Providence:

Year 1: 14-20-4
              Year 2: 17-14-7
              Year 3: 22-10-6
              Year 4: 3-4-1

Gendron at Maine:

Year 1: 16-15-4
              Year 2: 3-6-1

Bazin at Lowell has been incredible........credit given there.

Comment

Do you think any of the freshman, and some show promise, will become great players? Do you think we will improve next year ?
                Last edited by hobeyfaker; 11-10-2014, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                  Your expectations are low if all you want are timmay recruits
                  Whitehead had some gaps in his recruiting but he did attract some very talented players to Maine. (Six current NHLers) However, I do have higher expectations.

My point is that so far, the coaching itself has not appeared to be a significant upgrade. There are flashes of more motivated play, but much of the time, the intelligent plays aren't there.

So what I'm saying is, based on team performance, if Red isn't a better recruiter than Tim, it is disappointingly possible that we have downgraded our head coach.

I'll give him a chance to get a full four classes of his recruits before I make that call though.

Comment

• Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post
                    Do think any of the freshman, and some show promise, will become great players? Do you think we will improve next year ?
                    The fact that all the freshmen are playing over guys like Cerratani, Norman, and Campbell has to be a good sign. I think it looks like a really good class, especially when you factor in that Red probably didn't have a ton of money to work with.
                    Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                    Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
                      Whitehead had some gaps in his recruiting but he did attract some very talented players to Maine. (Six current NHLers) However, I do have higher expectations.

My point is that so far, the coaching itself has not appeared to be a significant upgrade. There are flashes of more motivated play, but much of the time, the intelligent plays aren't there.

So what I'm saying is, based on team performance, if Red isn't a better recruiter than Tim, it is disappointingly possible that we have downgraded our head coach.

I'll give him a chance to get a full four classes of his recruits before I make that call though.
                      If Whitehead was such a great recruiter with all of those NHLers.......why didn't he win more??? You can't have it all........either he was or wasn't a good recruiter........either he was or wasn't a good coach........if he was good at both then Maine should have made more appearances in Boston and the NCAA tourney, no???

Whietehad had his fans no doubt......they come out of the woodwork everytime Gendron farts.

Comment

The fact that all the freshmen are playing over guys like Cerratani, Norman, and Campbell has to be a good sign. I think it looks like a really good class, especially when you factor in that Red probably didn't have a ton of money to work with.
                        I agree........this freshman class will be a nice foundation to work with. The Club Whitehead guys need to be purged (graduate) before true progress can be made.

Comment

• Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post
                          If Whitehead was such a great recruiter with all of those NHLers.......why didn't he win more??? You can't have it all........either he was or wasn't a good recruiter........either he was or wasn't a good coach........if he was good at both then Maine should have made more appearances in Boston and the NCAA tourney, no???

Whietehad had his fans no doubt......they come out of the woodwork everytime Gendron farts.
                          There is no doubt Timmy did a great job with certain recruits, he even put together two wonderful classes in 2008 and 2012. The problem was all the rubbish in between. I probably could put together an entire 20 man team of guys he brought in who flat out weren't good enough. It would be interesting to hear from someone like Runsub on where he thinks Timmy went wrong. I suspect putting too much emphasis on grades might have been a big part of it.
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

There is no doubt Timmy did a great job with certain recruits, he even put together two wonderful classes in 2008 and 2012. The problem was all the rubbish in between. I probably could put together an entire 20 man team of guys he brought in who flat out weren't good enough. It would be interesting to hear from someone like Runsub on where he thinks Timmy went wrong. I suspect putting too much emphasis on grades might have been a big part of it.
                            I don't think that top players wanted to play his "style" either.....BORING!

Comment

The main reason Whitehead didn't win in his last 5 years there was he couldn't recruit, or wasn't able to keep, the most important player/position on the ice - a goaltender.

Comment

• Originally posted by hobeyfaker View Post

Amen!!! Sick of this 'Rome wasn't built in a day' crap. This is a rabid fan base and losing does not sit well with us. We want NCAA appearances, not looking up at BC and BU every year

Comment

Working...
                                X