X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TERRIERFANinLA View Post
    Tim's personality? really? come on.
    are you old enough to remember how many people liked Shawn's personality?

Watch the goalies and see if you see any positioning differences between these guys (Ray Jean' s guys) and Grant's. Of course I realize that Grant is a one of a kind, and ummm... Morris did not win the USHL with Monty as his goalie coach.
    He was MVP of the Clark Cup playoffs in 2011. Everybody was psyched when he picked Maine. Thats my only point.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
    43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
    104-47-14 (.669) in that time
    3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
      Not exactly no but the complacency is starting to grate on me a bit
      As long as the team is not complacent. I think you'll find the Maine contingent on USCHO is fading into the sunset. Very little activity on here now compared to years past. Another victim of timmay time. The Maine facebook page has way more posts on it
      I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
        I don't know. last year until the wheels fell off, they at least looked scrappy and hustled and battled for the puck. That third period last night was dismal, the UVM announcers commenting frequently that Maine looked tired and out of gas. I didn't expect much from Red's first few teams, but one thing I did expect would be that they would be the best conditioned team on the ice. Not so. They were either tired, or just plain gave up last night.

I know it's gonna be a long process, but I at least expected the team to show some improvement year by year. So far, they look worse this season than last.
        I agree. There is no excuse for the play this weekend. You can't lay out the teams weaknesses at the end of last season ie: size, then say you've addressed a lot of those needs then regress to the point they have. I also didn't have high expectations this season but at least show some effort and heart. They're not even playing fundamental hockey. Some improvement year over year is all (most of us) expect. The kids better look in the mirror. It's not ALL on Red and staff. He's not out on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          He was MVP of the Clark Cup playoffs in 2011. Everybody was psyched when he picked Maine. Thats my only point.
          I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
            I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.
            Did you watch the game Fri? It wasn't just the last couple minutes. They basically stood around the whole 3rd period and were outplayed for most of the 2nd per. as well. And last night was a repeat. I think it's too early to say if Red is on the right track or not, but at this point in the season I would say they are worse than last years team ...which is the wrong direction. Hopefully it gets turned around but the product I saw is unwatchable IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
              It's not ALL on Red and staff. He's not out on the ice.
              But it is if they keep playing this way, and they're tolerating it. I would assume he's trying to build them up, and work on their confidence and mental toughness, and not be cutting them down and barking at them all the time. But perhaps some tough love might be needed here.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
                Did you watch the game Fri? It wasn't just the last couple minutes. They basically stood around the whole 3rd period and were outplayed for most of the 2nd per. as well. And last night was a repeat. I think it's too early to say if Red is on the right track or not, but at this point in the season I would say they are worse than last years team ...which is the wrong direction. Hopefully it gets turned around but the product I saw is unwatchable IMO.
                I was at both games. I thought Maine played decently enough in the third, I never really felt they were in too much danger until the last couple of minutes. Which games this year, other than Friday would you say they should have done better in?
                Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

It is early but this year isn't looking so good for Maine. The results of the new coaching staff have been less than satisfactory so far. I hope Red is capable of recruiting players at least on par with whitehead's recruits or we're in for a long, disappointing ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                    I was at both games. I thought Maine played decently enough in the third, I never really felt they were in too much danger until the last couple of minutes. Which games this year, other than Friday would you say they should have done better in?
                    I guess we saw things differently. But Saturdays game they could've played way better for starters. You can't say they played well last night. Last Saturdays game vs Umass was no stellar performance either. Yeah they came back but.... They've played well at times. But they still disappear for periods at a time.

Comment

• Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
                      It is early but this year isn't looking so good for Maine. The results of the new coaching staff have been less than satisfactory so far. I hope Red is capable of recruiting players at least on par with whitehead's recruits or we're in for a long, disappointing ride.

BDN commenters are ripping Red

Comment

• Originally posted by MaineMan View Post
                        Your expectations are low if all you want are timmay recruits

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          But it is if they keep playing this way, and they're tolerating it. I would assume he's trying to build them up, and work on their confidence and mental toughness, and not be cutting them down and barking at them all the time. But perhaps some tough love might be needed here.
                          I heard rumors that late last year the team tuned out the barking. Not sure if it's true or not but it fits. Red is pretty intense and will get in your face in a heartbeat just talking to him

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                            Your expectations are low if all you want are timmay recruits
                            +1

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              I heard rumors that late last year the team tuned out the barking. Not sure if it's true or not but it fits. Red is pretty intense and will get in your face in a heartbeat just talking to him
                              Card carrying members of Club Whitehead no doubt.........

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                                This UVM team looks much better than last years team. So I am not sure how you want to measure that. As I mentioned before the real difference is the depth and much better puck movement from the D. So the "Lousy Weekend" might be more a product of UVM. The real test I think will come when we go visit you in a month. That will show where both teams stand.
                                I tend to agree that the weekend was probably more about UVM being good than it was about Maine being bad.

I see Vermont as being a tournament team as of now, and I've seen 20 teams this year, including MN, BC, BU, St. Cloud, UML, Union, etc.

What might be an impediment to them is how top-heavy HE is this year. It's gonna be a challenge to break into the top-tier in that conference... Looks like the haves and have-nots right now, and Vermont is right on the bubble there, IMO.

STILL, I like that team a lot, and would not bet against them at this point.
                                Last edited by Fishman'81; 11-09-2014, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X