This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

I'm on the fence. on one hand, I was always in the "not enough talent" camp, the last couple seasons. I was skeptical how much could be done immediately, just letting a different staff work with the current roster. So I'm inclined to give it 3-4 years.

On the other hand, they're not starting from scratch. Tim left behind some players to build around, the new staff is starting to get theirs . . . this shouldn't be a total throwaway season.

Maybe it was just a lousy weekend. I'll tune in for BU. Win or lose, I hope to see something different. Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.
    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
      Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.
      They're gonna need that sooner or later. Even when Maine had top talent, they had the guys in goal to steal a few games on "off" nights. Morris and Romeo need to pick it up a notch.....I really haven't seen anything from them that inspires confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
        Does anyone know the UPDATED status of Goaltender Nik Nugnes,hurt before the season started(knee)...heard he had started skating a few weeks back,but from there no word. Is he's progressing to a chance of even getting a Start when able to?
        You keep asking about Nugnes, do you have some inside info on him? My inside info says he has a good glove hand but thats it. He hasn't been concentrating on hockey all that long he was a lacrosse player 4 years ago. They needed a practice goalie so up he came.
        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by BoSox3066 View Post
          How many "years" did Vermont's rebuilding process take? PCs? Lowells? This have patience because its not Whitehead theory drives me bonkers. I couldn't disagree with it more.

Wasn't Morris considered an 'elite' or at least 'high' goalie prospect? Marty certainly was.

I'm sorely disappointed in what this team's shown so far. I don't see 'Year 2' as any kind of excuse and anybody who doesn't put these guys and these coaches to the same level of scrutiny and criticism as the previous guys and coaches I just don't understand.
          I don't think Morris was elite nor was Marty, heck couldn't even break the lineup for 3 years.

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
            I'm on the fence. on one hand, I was always in the "not enough talent" camp, the last couple seasons. I was skeptical how much could be done immediately, just letting a different staff work with the current roster. So I'm inclined to give it 3-4 years.

On the other hand, they're not starting from scratch. Tim left behind some players to build around, the new staff is starting to get theirs . . . this shouldn't be a total throwaway season.

Maybe it was just a lousy weekend. I'll tune in for BU. Win or lose, I hope to see something different. Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.
            This UVM team looks much better than last years team. So I am not sure how you want to measure that. As I mentioned before the real difference is the depth and much better puck movement from the D. So the "Lousy Weekend" might be more a product of UVM. The real test I think will come when we go visit you in a month. That will show where both teams stand.

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
              I don't think Morris was elite nor was Marty, heck couldn't even break the lineup for 3 years.
              Did I hear that Romeo was a 89 save percentage goalie in the ushl? If so why in the phark did we ever recruit him . No offense to him, but come on there's no future in that

Don't know I wud be trashing Morris quite yet. He's quick and could be a decent one
              Last edited by all bear; 11-09-2014, 12:05 PM.
              sure why not

Comment

Marty was a third round pick I was pumped when they got him, and I remember most everyone here was very happy to get Morris because hed won the USHL with Monty. Now all of a sudden this team struggles because it needs goalie recruits? Its rewriting history.

Red has two AllAmericans which is two more than Bazin and Leamen had when they started, and they were both NCAA competitive in year 1 and top 5/10 in year 2. Why not Maine, other than theyre not getting it done and folks seem willing to accept it because they disliked Whiteheads personality that much. I dont buy it.

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Marty was a third round pick I was pumped when they got him, and I remember most everyone here was very happy to get Morris because hed won the USHL with Monty. Now all of a sudden this team struggles because it needs goalie recruits? Its rewriting history.

Red has two AllAmericans which is two more than Bazin and Leamen had when they started, and they were both NCAA competitive in year 1 and top 5/10 in year 2. Why not Maine, other than theyre not getting it done and folks seem willing to accept it because they disliked Whiteheads personality that much. I dont buy it.
                  I disliked Whitehead's recruiting, style of play, lack of team discipline and lack of winning during the 2nd half his tenure at Maine.......other than that he was just swell!

Does anyone realize that when Whitehead first recruited Morris he was healthy and performing VERY well in the USHL........and then the injuries came. He hasn't been the same since.

Comment

Do you want everyone to jump up and down screaming for Red to be fired?

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                      I cud be wrong but I don't remember everyone calling for Whiteheads head till about halfway through his tenure....so in all fairness Reds got at least 6 years before he's an open target I would say. Plenty of time for him to correct Timmays phkups.
                      Last edited by all bear; 11-09-2014, 02:34 PM.
                      sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by all bear View Post
                        I cud be wrong but I don't remember everyone calling for Whiteheads head till about halfway through his tenure....so in all fairness Reds go at least 6 years before he's an open target I would say. Plenty of time for him to correct Timmays phkups.
                        In all fairness I wanted Tim gone after his first season On the other hand Red certainly has some responsibility for whats going on with the team

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                          Maine looks like that against most teams
                          I don't know. last year until the wheels fell off, they at least looked scrappy and hustled and battled for the puck. That third period last night was dismal, the UVM announcers commenting frequently that Maine looked tired and out of gas. I didn't expect much from Red's first few teams, but one thing I did expect would be that they would be the best conditioned team on the ice. Not so. They were either tired, or just plain gave up last night.

I know it's gonna be a long process, but I at least expected the team to show some improvement year by year. So far, they look worse this season than last.
                          Last edited by rufus; 11-09-2014, 03:05 PM.
                          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Tim's personality? really? come on.
                            are you old enough to remember how many people liked Shawn's personality?

Watch the goalies and see if you see any positioning differences between these guys (Ray Jean' s guys) and Grant's. Of course I realize that Grant is a one of a kind, and ummm... Morris did not win the USHL with Monty as his goalie coach.

Comment

Originally posted by umhockey91 View Post

Does anyone realize that when Whitehead first recruited Morris he was healthy and performing VERY well in the USHL and being coached by Grant Standbrook via video........and then Ray Jean came. He hasn't been the same since.
                              fyp

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
                                Not exactly no but the complacency is starting to grate on me a bit

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
                                43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
                                104-47-14 (.669) in that time
                                3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Working...
                                X