PDA

View Full Version : UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67

amherstblackbear
11-09-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm on the fence. on one hand, I was always in the "not enough talent" camp, the last couple seasons. I was skeptical how much could be done immediately, just letting a different staff work with the current roster. So I'm inclined to give it 3-4 years.

On the other hand, they're not starting from scratch. Tim left behind some players to build around, the new staff is starting to get theirs . . . this shouldn't be a total throwaway season.

Maybe it was just a lousy weekend. I'll tune in for BU. Win or lose, I hope to see something different. Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.

umhockey91
11-09-2014, 11:16 AM
Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.

They're gonna need that sooner or later. Even when Maine had top talent, they had the guys in goal to steal a few games on "off" nights. Morris and Romeo need to pick it up a notch.....I really haven't seen anything from them that inspires confidence.

walrus
11-09-2014, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know the UPDATED status of Goaltender Nik Nugnes,hurt before the season started(knee)...heard he had started skating a few weeks back,but from there no word. Is he's progressing to a chance of even getting a Start when able to?

You keep asking about Nugnes, do you have some inside info on him? My inside info says he has a good glove hand but thats it. He hasn't been concentrating on hockey all that long he was a lacrosse player 4 years ago. They needed a practice goalie so up he came.

walrus
11-09-2014, 11:28 AM
How many "years" did Vermont's rebuilding process take? PCs? Lowells? This have patience because its not Whitehead theory drives me bonkers. I couldn't disagree with it more.

Wasn't Morris considered an 'elite' or at least 'high' goalie prospect? Marty certainly was.

I'm sorely disappointed in what this team's shown so far. I don't see 'Year 2' as any kind of excuse and anybody who doesn't put these guys and these coaches to the same level of scrutiny and criticism as the previous guys and coaches I just don't understand.
I don't think Morris was elite nor was Marty, heck couldn't even break the lineup for 3 years.

Kdaddy1968
11-09-2014, 11:34 AM
I'm on the fence. on one hand, I was always in the "not enough talent" camp, the last couple seasons. I was skeptical how much could be done immediately, just letting a different staff work with the current roster. So I'm inclined to give it 3-4 years.

On the other hand, they're not starting from scratch. Tim left behind some players to build around, the new staff is starting to get theirs . . . this shouldn't be a total throwaway season.

Maybe it was just a lousy weekend. I'll tune in for BU. Win or lose, I hope to see something different. Maybe it'll be a goalie really rising to the occasion? I'd take that.

This UVM team looks much better than last years team. So I am not sure how you want to measure that. As I mentioned before the real difference is the depth and much better puck movement from the D. So the "Lousy Weekend" might be more a product of UVM. The real test I think will come when we go visit you in a month. That will show where both teams stand.

all bear
11-09-2014, 12:01 PM
I don't think Morris was elite nor was Marty, heck couldn't even break the lineup for 3 years.

Did I hear that Romeo was a 89 save percentage goalie in the ushl? If so why in the phark did we ever recruit him . No offense to him, but come on there's no future in that

Don't know I wud be trashing Morris quite yet. He's quick and could be a decent one

BoSox3066
11-09-2014, 12:23 PM
Marty was a third round pick I was pumped when they got him, and I remember most everyone here was very happy to get Morris because hed won the USHL with Monty. Now all of a sudden this team struggles because it needs goalie recruits? Its rewriting history.

Red has two AllAmericans which is two more than Bazin and Leamen had when they started, and they were both NCAA competitive in year 1 and top 5/10 in year 2. Why not Maine, other than theyre not getting it done and folks seem willing to accept it because they disliked Whiteheads personality that much. I dont buy it.

umhockey91
11-09-2014, 12:35 PM
Marty was a third round pick I was pumped when they got him, and I remember most everyone here was very happy to get Morris because hed won the USHL with Monty. Now all of a sudden this team struggles because it needs goalie recruits? Its rewriting history.

Red has two AllAmericans which is two more than Bazin and Leamen had when they started, and they were both NCAA competitive in year 1 and top 5/10 in year 2. Why not Maine, other than theyre not getting it done and folks seem willing to accept it because they disliked Whiteheads personality that much. I dont buy it.

I disliked Whitehead's recruiting, style of play, lack of team discipline and lack of winning during the 2nd half his tenure at Maine.......other than that he was just swell!

Does anyone realize that when Whitehead first recruited Morris he was healthy and performing VERY well in the USHL........and then the injuries came. He hasn't been the same since.

walrus
11-09-2014, 01:06 PM

Do you want everyone to jump up and down screaming for Red to be fired?

all bear
11-09-2014, 01:29 PM

I cud be wrong but I don't remember everyone calling for Whiteheads head till about halfway through his tenure....so in all fairness Reds got at least 6 years before he's an open target I would say. Plenty of time for him to correct Timmays phkups.

walrus
11-09-2014, 02:22 PM
I cud be wrong but I don't remember everyone calling for Whiteheads head till about halfway through his tenure....so in all fairness Reds go at least 6 years before he's an open target I would say. Plenty of time for him to correct Timmays phkups.

In all fairness I wanted Tim gone after his first season :D On the other hand Red certainly has some responsibility for whats going on with the team

rufus
11-09-2014, 02:54 PM
Maine looks like that against most teams

I don't know. last year until the wheels fell off, they at least looked scrappy and hustled and battled for the puck. That third period last night was dismal, the UVM announcers commenting frequently that Maine looked tired and out of gas. I didn't expect much from Red's first few teams, but one thing I did expect would be that they would be the best conditioned team on the ice. Not so. They were either tired, or just plain gave up last night.

I know it's gonna be a long process, but I at least expected the team to show some improvement year by year. So far, they look worse this season than last.

TERRIERFANinLA
11-09-2014, 02:58 PM

Tim's personality? really? come on.
are you old enough to remember how many people liked Shawn's personality?

Watch the goalies and see if you see any positioning differences between these guys (Ray Jean' s guys) and Grant's. Of course I realize that Grant is a one of a kind, and ummm... Morris did not win the USHL with Monty as his goalie coach.

TERRIERFANinLA
11-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Does anyone realize that when Whitehead first recruited Morris he was healthy and performing VERY well in the USHL and being coached by Grant Standbrook via video........and then Ray Jean came. He hasn't been the same since.

fyp

BoSox3066
11-09-2014, 03:33 PM

Not exactly no but the complacency is starting to grate on me a bit

BoSox3066
11-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Tim's personality? really? come on.
are you old enough to remember how many people liked Shawn's personality?

Watch the goalies and see if you see any positioning differences between these guys (Ray Jean' s guys) and Grant's. Of course I realize that Grant is a one of a kind, and ummm... Morris did not win the USHL with Monty as his goalie coach.

He was MVP of the Clark Cup playoffs in 2011. Everybody was psyched when he picked Maine. Thats my only point.

walrus
11-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Not exactly no but the complacency is starting to grate on me a bit

As long as the team is not complacent. I think you'll find the Maine contingent on USCHO is fading into the sunset. Very little activity on here now compared to years past. Another victim of timmay time. The Maine facebook page has way more posts on it

ck1969
11-09-2014, 04:04 PM
I don't know. last year until the wheels fell off, they at least looked scrappy and hustled and battled for the puck. That third period last night was dismal, the UVM announcers commenting frequently that Maine looked tired and out of gas. I didn't expect much from Red's first few teams, but one thing I did expect would be that they would be the best conditioned team on the ice. Not so. They were either tired, or just plain gave up last night.

I know it's gonna be a long process, but I at least expected the team to show some improvement year by year. So far, they look worse this season than last.

I agree. There is no excuse for the play this weekend. You can't lay out the teams weaknesses at the end of last season ie: size, then say you've addressed a lot of those needs then regress to the point they have. I also didn't have high expectations this season but at least show some effort and heart. They're not even playing fundamental hockey. Some improvement year over year is all (most of us) expect. The kids better look in the mirror. It's not ALL on Red and staff. He's not out on the ice.

Drew S.
11-09-2014, 04:15 PM
He was MVP of the Clark Cup playoffs in 2011. Everybody was psyched when he picked Maine. Thats my only point.

I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.

ck1969
11-09-2014, 04:30 PM
I'm not a doctor but it's hard for me to understand how he could have major surgery, not be able to walk for a while, and then be back to playing a high level of hockey again. I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the goaltending situation, I don't think it is the reason Maine has struggled but it certainly hasn't helped them be successful. I really don't know what I would have done if I was in Red's shoes. It would have been harsh if he kicked Morris or Romeo to the curb before they were give a fair chance, but at the same time I can't imagine he felt great about the goaltending coming into this season.

I was upset last night about this weekend but am over it now. Maine just had to play a little better in the last couple minutes of Friday's game and it would have been hugely successful. There are obviously exceptions(Lowell being one) but I think the cliche that winning and losing are habits that are hard to break is very true. It's going to take some time but I think Red & Co are on the right track as far as getting Maine back to where we would like it.

Did you watch the game Fri? It wasn't just the last couple minutes. They basically stood around the whole 3rd period and were outplayed for most of the 2nd per. as well. And last night was a repeat. I think it's too early to say if Red is on the right track or not, but at this point in the season I would say they are worse than last years team ...which is the wrong direction. Hopefully it gets turned around but the product I saw is unwatchable IMO.