X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UMaine Hockey 2014-15: The Road from Alfond to Boston

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
    I would guess it's more of a fear he'll take a penalty.
    I think you're right...

Comment

On Hayes could be a little bit of both: liability on defense or taking a penalty...but either way let him play and live with it...this team has to learn as it goes...with the way there playing their chances of cracking home ice in the 1st round of Hockey East play(5 thru 8)is within there grasp but playing only not to lose and playing only players in situation parts of the game will ticket you to 9th and beyond and a quick exit from the Hockey East Playoffs.

Comment

More fans, less sidewalk coaches....

Its still early. Todays a new day with a new opportunity. Lets see what they can do tonight. Hopefully it becomes a war of attrition and we get to see just how well conditioned these players allegedly are. Show me time.
        sure why not

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
          I would guess it's more of a fear he'll take a penalty.
          I can see that but it hasn't been a huge problem after the first game at Alfond. With the pace Vermont was playing at, 3 lines ain't going to cut it. Might show up tonight also.
          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by ck1969 View Post
            That's the sad part. Standing around for an entire period is unacceptable no matter who's coaching. I don't get it. Is Red just not getting thru to these kids?
            Were they really that bad? Not putting any effort in?

While I wish they had held on for at least the tie, I wasn't gonna be too down about this loss. The Gut is a tough place to play, and this team still has a lot of young players that need to gain experience in these types of games. But if they were really that listless, not working, not playing hard, then there's a serious problem here that needs to be fixed.
            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

“We got back on our heels in the third period. We aren’t mentally tough enough,” said an angry Gendron.

Maine captain Devin Shore concurred.

“We didn’t play well enough in the third period to win. We didn’t match (Vermont’s intensity). If you’re going to win in this league, you’ve got to finish games out and we didn’t do that,” said Shore.
              So if they see this, and recognize that it's happening, what are they doing to prevent it, or get past it? Why does it keep happening?

I mean, if you can see that you're sitting back, being too passive, one simple way to stop doing it is to start skating hard, move your feet, be more aggressive. It might not cure the problem, but it's a step in the right direction of curing it. Hustle, make a big hit, dive to block a shot, that sort of stuff becomes contagious and then the rest of the guys start doing it too, and there you go. You still might not win the game, but you're not giving it away now either.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

While I wish they had held on for at least the tie, I wasn't gonna be too down about this loss. The Gut is a tough place to play, and this team still has a lot of young players that need to gain experience in these types of games. But if they were really that listless, not working, not playing hard, then there's a serious problem here that needs to be fixed.
                I think Walrus stated it best. You can't run 3 lines in the 3rd vs Vermont. They are a fast team. Not the most talented putting the puck in the next but fast and have good conditioning. The biggest difference between this years VT team and the past is the D is much better at moving the puck. Paliotta and Priveterra have very good vision and will take advantage of worn down forwards. That said VT has a terrible habit of allowing goals in the last minute. 2 of your 3 last night. Thats been a halmark of the sneddon years...

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post

Well, in my opinion in the third they played pretty terrible for the first 10 minutes of the period. Then around the ten minute mark the team started playing a frustrating style of defense where they looked to simple push things outside and chip the puck out of the zone when they could. This lead to long shifts. At the same time Gendron shortened the bench and was double shifting the top line(Shore a lot). I think this lead to some long shifts and the legs started going. And then some mental mistakes gave way to a few good chances. Then a good time out should have left Maine decent with only 2 minutes left. To be honest, I am surprised Maine had a chance to win the game with 1 minute left. Morris looked shaky to me(poor rebound control, lots of flopping, lost the stick a few times, got luck with the pipes, etc...). UVM deserved that game, and it was a combination of shaky goaltending and no legs in the second half of the game as far as I could see. I felt the coaching was good. In fact, I wonder if the road problems are indicative of the lack of advantage of matching lines. Meaning, maybe at home the coaching staff can make up for a deficiency that doesn't get nullified on the road due to the inability to match the lines.

On the comment on Hayes... he is a defensemen that played defense a couple games for Maine. I doubt he is considered a defensive liability. However, his role on offense is far from a defensive mentality. To me it looks like they are coaching him to go the net front and battle. And throw hits and win battles in the corners deep. This is not naturally a role that lends itself to being in a position to make a big defensive impact. After all, he is likely to be the last man back given his role being down low on O combined with a big frame not lending itself well to speed at back-checking.

I hope we see a similar game plan as last night, just with more emphasis on getting the puck behind the UVM goalie. I'd like to see them cycle and work from down behind UVM's net and have a style of making UVM work the 200 feet to score. There were several times last night Maine shot wide on rushes only to see the puck rim out and create a odd man rush for UVM. It is very frustrating to see Maine not make the most of these rushes where above all else they get a shot on net, or on the blocker, or something where it stays in deep.

I will say this, it is nice the video feed is free and doesn't buffer often.

Comment

Is there a video link other than catamountv.com?

I'm getting nothing. It's redirecting to some page at nsnsports and timing out....
                    1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1995 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2012(!)

Comment

Originally posted by amherstblackbear View Post
                      Is there a video link other than catamountv.com?

I'm getting nothing. It's redirecting to some page at nsnsports and timing out....
                      same here.... that's their provider, but there is some sort of error....

Comment

Originally posted by gscott13 View Post
                        same here.... that's their provider, but there is some sort of error....
                        Yeah, I'm not getting it to work either. Vermont just scored too.

Comment

Make that 2-0 Vermont...

Comment

Originally posted by blackbearbandie View Post
                            Yeah, I'm not getting it to work either. Vermont just scored too.
                            http://nsnsports.net/colleges/univer...=alt&stm_id=23

go direct

Comment

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                              Hey, that worked. Thanks!

Comment

Just to update those who didn't see... Maine sloppy. some of it due to Vermont speed but some due to lack of discipline..

Comment

Working...
                                X