UNO @ Cornell, 10-31 & 11-1, The Ivy League vs. Durango

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO @ Cornell, 10-31 & 11-1, The Ivy League vs. Durango

The academic gap here could probably not be further apart between these two schools.

UNO makes it's first ever trip to Ithaca.

Are there any Big Red Fans out there? For a ranked team (that has yet to play a D-1 opponent this season) you guys don't even have a season thread that I could find.

Useless UNO fact. In 1971, UNO came within 51 votes by the student body of being the "Unicorns" instead of the "Mavericks". Prior to that they were the "Indians". UNO was politically correct before it was even politically correct to be politically correct. 1971? Indians? We hadn't even punted Nixon yet in '71.

In a weekend with several interesting non-conference series, this is one of them. UNO waltzes into Ithaca tied for 1st in the NCHC, with the #10 offense in the NCAA and the nation's 3rd leading scorer and another guy tied for 5th with a ton of other guys. Oh, and 11 freshman. Eleven.

UNO needs a split, minimum, this weekend. That's my hope.

Durango is UNO's mascot for the uninitiated.

Re: UNO @ Cornell, 10-31 & 11-1, The Ivy League vs. Durango

If you want to banter Cornell hockey you have to go to Lynah.com, they are never here. You're in for quite a treat if you're travelling to Lynah rink.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Gap???? UNO has some very intelligent people among it's alumni. Split. UNO is coming off a bye week and going on a long road trip. Friday night they will be dragging butt.
      UNLEASH THE FURY!!!!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLMMx3MRi0s

Comment

UNO "steals" a tie from a ranked team on the road (Cornell had the potential game winning goal disallowed).

I not unhappy.

Only goal of the game for UNO scored by Tyler Vesel, who becomes the 10th Mav to score a goal this season in 5 total games.

Any "points" at all tomorrow night (this is, after all, a non conference opponent) and I will be ecstatic given how baby-faced this team is.

Glass VERY half full so far this season.

Comment

Since Massa's helmet was a story in the game tonight, I thought it might be apropos to repost this article:

http://www.uscho.com/2013/11/05/func...artist-goalie/

Comment

Last, but not least, Big Red Fans, go to the NCHC's web site and note that the Mensa's there don't even know how to spell "Cornell".

http://www.nchchockey.com/

I am properly ashamed for our conference. Suffice to say that I think the NCHC's web site, overall, is a piece of cr*p and I have thought so since the moment it was unveiled. This just buttresses further my initial reaction to its unveiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
              The academic gap here could probably not be further apart between these two schools.

UNO makes it's first ever trip to Ithaca.

Are there any Big Red Fans out there? For a ranked team (that has yet to play a D-1 opponent this season) you guys don't even have a season thread that I could find.

Useless UNO fact. In 1971, UNO came within 51 votes by the student body of being the "Unicorns" instead of the "Mavericks". Prior to that they were the "Indians". UNO was politically correct before it was even politically correct to be politically correct. 1971? Indians? We hadn't even punted Nixon yet in '71.

In a weekend with several interesting non-conference series, this is one of them. UNO waltzes into Ithaca tied for 1st in the NCHC, with the #10 offense in the NCAA and the nation's 3rd leading scorer and another guy tied for 5th with a ton of other guys. Oh, and 11 freshman. Eleven.

UNO needs a split, minimum, this weekend. That's my hope.

Durango is UNO's mascot for the uninitiated.
              I will forever hate your team because they didn't go with "Unicorns"
              tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                I will forever hate your team because they didn't go with "Unicorns"
                Are you going to be here December 12th or 13th? Me and Mrs. Red Cows still feel bad that we sorta "blew you off", for lack of a better way to put it, last year, when you were here.

The circumstances were unfortunate. I paid the way to that particular game (I do this once or or twice per season) for any family member and/or customer that wanted to come to the game that night against SCSU and, truth to tell, I'd have much rather sat and talked hockey with you than any of them, who are hardly what I would call "college hockey fans". I had obligations to that large group of people with me I could not get around.
                Last edited by Red Cows; 10-31-2014, 09:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
                  Are you going to be here December 12th or 13th? Me and Mrs. Red Cows still feel bad that we sorta "blew you off", for lack of a better way to put it, last year, when you were here.

The circumstances were unfortunate. I paid the way to that particular game (I do this once or or twice per season) for any family member and/or customer that wanted to come to the game that night against SCSU and, truth to tell, I'd have much rather sat and talked hockey with you than any of them, who are hardly what I would call "college hockey fans". I had obligations to that large group of people with me I could not get around.
                  I will be there, with a group somewhere in the realm of 4 to 6 or so
                  tUMD is Jan Brady per Brenthoven. Whew.... thanks for clearing THAT up.

Best USCHO quotes to date:

"UND/DU will realize that their party sucks, because the easterners only want to drink Zima." - BPH

"It is too bad that aaron marvin was a senior so he can't go after the rest of the sioux". - bigblue_dl

"I would rather play the blackhawks than you right now." - dogs2012

Comment

Originally posted by SCSU Euro View Post
                    I will be there, with a group somewhere in the realm of 4 to 6 or so
                    Cool.

That merits some further discourse as those dates get closer.

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
                      If you want to banter Cornell hockey you have to go to Lynah.com, they are never here. You're in for quite a treat if you're travelling to Lynah rink.
                      The forum is http://elf.elynah.com/

There is a Chat link on the right panel.

Traffic was very light tonight (about 10), since when we're home... most of us are there.

Seemed to be a fairly even game that either squad could have won. IINM I heard the whistle when Massa's mask came off prior to the second Cornell goal, so that was a good call. On the other side, UNO missed a WIDE open net (I'm talking 90%) from the doorstep so they could as easily have gotten the win.

Never happy to drops points at Lynah, but on the whole tonight I think we avoided a defeat rather than earned a tie. If we can take 3 of the 4 points I'll be happy.

Very glad to see the home-and-home series with UNO. I hope a few Mavs fans made the trip to see Lynah.
                      Cornell University
                      National Champion 1967, 1970
                      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        The forum is http://elf.elynah.com/

There is a Chat link on the right panel.

Traffic was very light tonight (about 10), since when we're home... most of us are there.

Seemed to be a fairly even game that either squad could have won. IINM I heard the whistle when Massa's mask came off prior to the second Cornell goal, so that was a good call. On the other side, UNO missed a WIDE open net (I'm talking 90%) from the doorstep so they could as easily have gotten the win.

Never happy to drops points at Lynah, but on the whole tonight I think we avoided a defeat rather than earned a tie. If we can take 3 of the 4 points I'll be happy.

Very glad to see the home-and-home series with UNO. I hope a few Mavs fans made the trip to see Lynah.
                        This is obviously an interesting match-up for us since last season was the first time we'd ever played Cornell (IMHO, this series last year basically hosed our season) and, obviously, this is the first trip we've EVER made to Ithaca. The list of teams that we can say this about in this, our 18th season as a program, is pretty small, now.

The only current D-1 teams UNO has never played, home or away, are Brown, RPI (although ironically, we won a tournament they were a part of in their arena in which we never played them), Penn State, Northeastern, Sacred Heart, and Vermont.

I would have loved to have made this trip to one of the iconic destinations in college hockey. Alas, I am in Chicago for a convention/show at McCormick Place for the next week or so that is relevant to my profession where my attendance/participation is mandatory.

Comment

no points will be awarded since it's non conference. I figured Cornell was going to be a good team and they were. The 2 delay of game penalties seem stupid. I'd love to see Cornell come back to Omaha down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by MAVFANJEFF View Post
                            no points will be awarded since it's non conference. I figured Cornell was going to be a good team and they were. The 2 delay of game penalties seem stupid. I'd love to see Cornell come back to Omaha down the road.
                            But, despite the ridiculously earliness of saying so, UNO is currently 9th in Pairwise.

Screw the polls. That matters if we can say this, or, something like it, every week.

Comment

No idea what you are talking about. no conference points for a non conference series.

Comment

Working...
                              X