Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

chain pull 101.

lets hope the game is as easy!
    Originally posted by mtu_huskies
    "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
    Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
    Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

If anyone wants to greet Red Berenson at the airport in the style of John Cusack in "Say Anything," (which was filmed six years after the U of Mich stopped travelling to Houghton) while blaring the top hits of 1983, there is a charter jet scheduled to leave Willow Run (KYIP) at 210 PM ET and land in Hancock (KCMX) at 330 PM ET.

Found via Flight Aware.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
        chain pull 101.

So then you are not as cool as you think you are, or as free thinking then is what you are all saying.

It was all a lie.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
          Yeah, let's not get into those helmets. Up until a couple years ago they were still putting the design on with electrical tape. Hey why not just put their names on the front with athletic tape while you're at it?

Must have spent all their money on plane tickets.

Ryan J

Everything OK in here? Just had reports of shots fired.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
            If anyone wants to greet Red Berenson at the airport in the style of John Cusack in "Say Anything," (which was filmed six years after the U of Mich stopped travelling to Houghton) while blaring the top hits of 1983, there is a charter jet scheduled to leave Willow Run (KYIP) at 210 PM ET and land in Hancock (KCMX) at 330 PM ET.

Found via Flight Aware.
            I just asked a simple question and boom. This devolves into an episode of Maury.

Do the students still make signs mocking the other team? I wonder if Mel will need to ask them to tone it down. I wouldn't mind seeing this devolve into a nasty series. With the fighting "Sioux" off the schedule we have some bad blood to spare. Nmu is the only team I really dislike.

Comment

Found via Flight Aware.
              well done.

its nothing personal, alpha, we are use to the mother of flame throwing leagues, the WCHA. its our typical trash talk.
              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

I'm amused at the Techies bringing up 'Walmart Wolverines' since many of the Techies I know are Michigan fans as well (at least in football). Hmm...perhaps those of you bringing up the term did buy your Michigan apparel at Walmart. Is Walmart the only retailer in Houghton? I can never remember.

Also, may I be allowed into the exclusive club of Tech fans? I was once half of a pep band for Tech at Mercyhurst. I tend to bring my Tech sweatshirt and cheer for them at the GLI (when they are not playing Michigan). Oh, and I know the words to the fight song. My favorite part is the end where I get to yell, "Michigan, Michigan, Michigan Engineer!" and point at myself.
                I may have also stolen some of Tech's spelling cheers and brought them to Yost
                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Found via Flight Aware.
                  A 737. That'll be one of the largest planes to land in Hancock in recent memory.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/A...800Z/KYIP/KCMX
                  Originally posted by SCSU Euro
                  What are you TALKING about? Best fans, best travelling, best insults nobody else understands, best talking in nerdy code. MTU rocks at like everything but winning hockey games.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                    I'm amused at the Techies bringing up 'Walmart Wolverines' since many of the Techies I know are Michigan fans as well (at least in football). Hmm...perhaps those of you bringing up the term did buy your Michigan apparel at Walmart. Is Walmart the only retailer in Houghton? I can never remember.

Also, may I be allowed into the exclusive club of Tech fans? I was once half of a pep band for Tech at Mercyhurst. I tend to bring my Tech sweatshirt and cheer for them at the GLI (when they are not playing Michigan). Oh, and I know the words to the fight song. My favorite part is the end where I get to yell, "Michigan, Michigan, Michigan Engineer!" and point at myself.
                    I may have also stolen some of Tech's spelling cheers and brought them to Yost
                    Yeah, the trolls that come up to Tech do often tend to start as Walmart Wolverines... Us native Yoopers can only hope make them see the error of their ways once they reach the glory of the Keweeenaw. I grew up in a Notre Dame football household, so I've no love for the ugly helmets in any sport...
                    MTU Hockey fan since I was carried to a game in 1986 - for those counting... that's a lot of depressing hockey. Still love it.

Surrounded by Badger Red in Wisconsin. Such an ugly color, but the beer and cheese are delicious...

2014-15 WCHA (*Regular season portion) Pick-em Champion (**Forgeting a Week Methodology)

Comment

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
                      chain pull 101.

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                      Yours is a fun chain to rattle, alfablue.
                      Originally posted by lawdoggies View Post
                      Someone is floundering and splashing near the surface . . . it's just going to draw sharks.

Looking forward to being at John J. MacInnes Student Ice Arena tomorrow night!
                      Originally posted by geezer View Post
                      It's a landmark day when Tech fans have reached the heights of being called "arrogant." Either the hockey team has a winning record for the first time in ever, or our teasing is paying off.

It's all in good fun, alfablue, we love all you Michigan fans. And we think it's quite noble that you let Red keep standing behind the bench, it's really very kind of you.
                      Since you all were the first to admit to this, I WILL CLAIM VICTORY!!!!

Hah!

Seriously, I've been a fan of Tech longer than I can remember, and have been at your rink quite a bit. Not much for actual hockey. But I was doing my best to turn most of the common anti-UM stuff back onto you. So there.

Nobody I know thinks of Tech as a rival, so you really have to forgive us for that. The only person I know who might dislike Tech went to Lake State, and that reason should be obvious.

None the less, my Tech Alumni dad has always been a big fan of UM, as were my grandparents- living in Tapiola (how many of you have been there? used to be some great fishing in Otter Lake) So it was an easy choice to come to UM when they offered me a good position to do a masters.

It's not rocket science to understand that a good or bad football team will always be #1 here, even if the hockey team strings together 3-4 NC's in a row, that won't change. And with BB becoming relevant again, hockey has been pushed to #3. As much as other schools have that in a more hockey centric order, I'm still ok with that. Just one more thing to deal with.

This, and the GLI, are my only opportunity all year to root against Tech. So I'm hoping for some good games. What sucks is that we probably won't be able to see them....

As much as I'd love to have Mel back here, I'm also quite happy for him to bring back such a historic progam as Tech. You guys have as much history in your alumi as we do.

So there you go.

edit- re-flying in Hancock in a storm- back in 1990, when I was a student down here, I flew up there to spend Christmas with my grandma. We were delayed both stops out of Chicago up to there. And the pilot decided to go on even with the storm.... Horribly bumpy approach, which freaked out a few other passengers. All of a sudden it all smothed out- best landing ever. Great Lakes Air. Still had to spend the night in Hancock since I could not make it to Tapiola that night. A few days later a big storm and a flat tire meant we were 4 hours late leaving. Grandma told me to never fly up again in the winter.....
                      Last edited by alfablue; 10-30-2014, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Just you you skunk fans know this, you weren't the first school to even use the winged helmet design. And to your horror if you didn't know this, Michigan State began wearing a variation of the winged helmet before 1938, predating the Wolverines and continuing until 1948. They decided it was too ugly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_football_helmet

And your beloved fight song was stolen too. It's lifted from a composition called "Spirit of Liberty" by George Rosenberg, which was copyrighted one year before your song somehow was too. But to this day, of course the band denies it. Something like when Vanilla Ice claimed he didn't steal anything from Queen's "Under Pressure".

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews_o...uis_elbel.html

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
                          Just you you skunk fans know this, you weren't the first school to even use the winged helmet design. And to your horror if you didn't know this, Michigan State began wearing a variation of the winged helmet before 1938, predating the Wolverines and continuing until 1948. They decided it was too ugly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winged_football_helmet

And your beloved fight song was stolen too. It's lifted from a composition called "Spirit of Liberty" by George Rosenberg, which was copyrighted one year before your song somehow was too. But to this day, of course the band denies it. Something like when Vanilla Ice claimed he didn't steal anything from Queen's "Under Pressure".

http://blog.mlive.com/annarbornews_o...uis_elbel.html
                          LOL.. when insults matter so much that you go and research them.

Trust me- that's not going to come back at you in any way, shape, or form. It just does not matter.

Comment

Go Tech, Petan, Pietila, Johnstone, Kero need to mitigate Compher, Larkin, Hyman, and Motte/Kile?
                            Saw two losses at Yost last year, time for payback.

Comment

Game Day! Go Tech!
                              Boosh Factor 4

Comment

Game day! Go Blue!
                                Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                                wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                                7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Working...
                                X