Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

Originally posted by huskyfan View Post
    they are awfully chippy this week. perhaps we shouldn't go there about the ugly helmets?
    Yeah, let's not get into those helmets. Up until a couple years ago they were still putting the design on with electrical tape. Hey why not just put their names on the front with athletic tape while you're at it?

Must have spent all their money on plane tickets.

Ryan J

Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 10-29-2014, 10:59 PM.
    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
    Originally posted by geezer
    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
    Originally posted by manurespreader
    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Re: Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the mak

they are awfully chippy this week. perhaps we shouldnt go there about the ugly helmets?
      What color are yours, again? Black, white, or yelllow? Can't remember....

Such a horrible problem to have helmets that are so identifiable.

Is there ANYTHING good about Tech's hockey program? Or are you forced to try to bring the other team down to your level? Sure seems like you think your team sucks badly.

I could have sworn your team was good- Tech is 4-0, just beat a team that got us in our first game, and we are a measly 2-3. But with all of this talk, you guys must be a really horrible 4-0, and think that we are some kind of super team at 2-3. I appreciate how good you think we are, but I just don't see it.

Comment

we liked trash talking even when we were doormats. its just that we are clever.
        Originally posted by mtu_huskies
        "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
        Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
        Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Somebody should probably go ahead and tell those poor kids the truth about the helmets, either that or switch mascots to the "University of Michigan Painted Turtles."
          Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
          USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I fail to see the "clever" in thinking student athletes should spend more time traveling to a game than necessary and the oft repeated helmet discussion.

I would think with years of not wanting to talk hockey, there might be actual clever things to say. Or, as alfa pointed out, that with a nice 4-0 start you might want to discuss hockey.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              I fail to see the "clever"
              you guys are about as fun-loving as the gophers.
              Fine, time for hockey talk. Who will provide a Completely Baseless Scoring Prediction?
              Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                Somebody should probably go ahead and tell those poor kids the truth about the helmets, either that or switch mascots to the "University of Michigan Painted Turtles."
                The truth is that the helmet design is a tribute to old-time football helmets. Such a design makes sense for their football team, but it's a head scratcher for a hockey team. I suppose it's enough that Walmart Wolverines love it.

Comment

we liked trash talking even when we were doormats. its just that we are clever.
                  At lest you think you are clever, and that's a one up in the whole self confidence thing. So good for you. Whatever it takes to make you feel better about yourself and your team.

I'm missing the trash talking part. What part of your posts were trash talking? I see banter that implies that you think your team sucks and has boring helmets. Nothing that's actually bad for Michigan fans.

Maybe a baby step in in order- you have a good football team, and they have been good for a while. You can take the logo off the side of it and dress up your hockey team helmets a lot. Based on some of the posts, you guys really need that. Or at least the fans do.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                    The truth is that the helmet design is a tribute to old-time football helmets. Such a design makes sense for their football team, but it's a head scratcher for a hockey team. I suppose it's enough that Walmart Wolverines love it.
                    So our program is so popular and well known that people who have no association with the school are actually fans of all of Michigan programs.

I hate to say it, but I think it's a good problem to have.

Wouldn't you guys like some more fans who have no assocciation with Tech? Do you guys have a minimum requirement to be considered fans? As far as I know, Michigan will take any and all. If they buy their goods at WalMart, the licensing fee still comes to Ann Arbor. Just like if it was a the M-Den.

Since my dad went to Tech, and I did hockey school at Tech back when Mel was in school, can I please be considered a fan at some point? Pretty please?

Comment

Michigan @ MTU 10/31-11/1: Mel, Red & Stanley - A threesome 30+ years in the making

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                      Such a horrible problem to have helmets that are so identifiable.
                      You are correct on that point. Every time I see of them I think of powerhouse football programs across the nation... The University of Deleware, Princeton, Gustavus Adolphus... It's a striping pattern that dozens (if not hundreds) of teams use much like horizontal stripes on the bottom of a hockey jersey. Let's not act like it they're unique to Michigan. Michigan is just more well known for using them because ABC sports loves to show the BigTen as often as NBC loves to show Notre Dame.

http://www.spartanjerseys.com/michig...winged-helmet/

Ooops, I just checked my calendar. It is Thursday. It's time to talk hockey.
                      Friday MTU 6 - Yellow Wingers 4
                      Saturday MTU 3 - Red's Last Stand 2

Ryan J

PS - No, we really don't need anymore hockey fans at Tech. Those of us that stuck with the team through the lean years (and there were plenty of lean years) are just fine without others jumping on the bandwagon when the team is on the way up. Although I'm sure there are plenty of folks who will want to jump on board with a winner. I'm sure there will even be a few down state who put away the Wolverine jersey and go buy a Tech jersey off Ebay just because they're the new hot ticket in the state just like all the fans that appeared when Tech won the GLI for the first time in forever, and all the people that bashed the ECAC for years and then suddenly were huge fans of Yale, Union, etc when they were champs. I was proud to cheer for the Huskies when they won FOUR games in a season and I'll be proud to cheer for Tech if they have a season when they win a lot more.
                      Last edited by JohnsonsJerseys; 10-30-2014, 08:54 AM.
                      Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                      https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                      Originally posted by geezer
                      Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                      Originally posted by manurespreader
                      ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        can I please be considered a fan at some point? Pretty please?
                        No.

Comment

Yours is a fun chain to rattle, alfablue.

Comment

So?

Athletes at Michigan are so proud of the football team that they pay hommage to them, and that it bad? Our rowing team uses the symbol, too. They shouldn't?

Actually, our solar car team also uses the symbol.

It's too bad that you athletic program does not have something that stands out so much that all of the rest of the atheletes use that same theme wherever they can. I'm so sorry about that.

Even with the football team being so incredibly bad right now, the entire campus has pride in the symbol of what it has historically meant. To the point of using it every time that they can.

Someday, maybe Tech will have something like that, too.

Comment

Originally posted by redwing61 View Post
                              Yours is a fun chain to rattle, alfablue.
                              I still don't understand why you think your team is that bad. Just seems odd.

You guys could use a good dose of self confidence. It would help.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                                No.
                                See, we'd be all happy if you wanted to be a fan of Michigan.

Too bad you don't want outside fans. So much potential, lost.

Comment

Working...
                                X