Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 10/31 - 11/1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 10/31 - 11/1

It has sort of been up and down for the Buckeyes in the early season as Ohio State started off with a sweep of New Hampshire, then were swept at Wisconsin. They came back home two weeks ago and swept Bemidji State. This past weekend Ohio State had a bye. Next on the schedule is a visit from the St. Cloud State Huskies. Having had two weeks to prepare and heal up any bumps or bruises, I expect the Buckeyes to be an energetic bunch this weekend. I am guessing freshman Kassidy Sauve will continue to get the nod in goal. Scoring has pretty much been done by committee so far this season, although Julia McKinnon had a hat trick in the Friday night game vs Bemidji State on 10/17. I do not go into weekends expecting sweeps, regardless of who we are playing. This is the WCHA and everyone in the league is going to bring their best every game, every shift. Safe travels to the St. Cloud fans who come down to Columbus for the games. A couple of notes for those coming to the games, the starting times are 6:07 pm ET Friday, then 1:07 ET Saturday. The other note would be the games will be played at the OSU Ice Rink. Originally, the games were scheduled to be played at the Schottenstein Center, but that has been changed. Also, while I am thinking about it, try to get there early on Saturday as Ohio State has a home football game that Saturday. Thankfully, it's a night game (8:00 pm ET start), but here at OSU, people like to tailgate, and they come out early, so parking might be a bit dicey for Saturday's game. I plan on asking questions myself on Friday night regarding parking for the next day's game.

Re: Ohio State vs St. Cloud State 10/31 - 11/1

I am predicting St. Cloud State will sweep the Buckeyes this weekend, winning each game in a shootout.

Seriously, these teams appear to be pretty evenly matched, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or even both games end in a tie.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      I am predicting St. Cloud State will sweep the Buckeyes this weekend, winning each game in a shootout.
      If that happens, then for the record I have no opinion regarding who is or is not entitled to celebrate.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Seriously, these teams appear to be pretty evenly matched, so I wouldn't be surprised if one or even both games end in a tie.
      Ties are a regular occurrence in the WCHA, but it seems a stretch to call these teams even, unless SCSU had a really strong bye week.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        If that happens, then for the record I have no opinion regarding who is or is not entitled to celebrate.

Ties are a regular occurrence in the WCHA, but it seems a stretch to call these teams even, unless SCSU had a really strong bye week.
        Definitely a stretch to call this one even when Ohio State went 3-0-1 vs St. Cloud last season.

Comment

Since nothing positive could ever come from such a blasphemy, it follows that no one should ever celebrate a shootout point. Opposing shootouts is, after all, a matter of life and death.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Since nothing positive could ever come from such a blasphemy, it follows that no one should ever celebrate a shootout point. Opposing shootouts is, after all, a matter of life and death.
            My advice is to just leave the building as soon as the five minute overtime concludes.

Comment

Yes, you are probably right, ARM. I guess I may have let my Minnesota sentiments get in the way....but I have a feeling (or maybe it's just hope?) that the Huskies may steal one in Columbus. But may the best team win, I mean really win - either in regulation or OT.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                My advice is to just leave the building as soon as the five minute overtime concludes.
                This is a perfectly logical extension of your beliefs. If you ever take such action, let us know. You'd be acting on principle. As such, you'd have my full respect.

For those of us who lack the absolutist belief, however, doing this makes no sense. It would be nothing more than shooting oneself in the foot. Better to let the players on the ice do the shooting.

Comment

St. Cloud takes game 1 of this series by a final score of 4-2. Ohio State started off well and led 2-0 at the end of the first period on goals by Melanie Moylan and Julia McKinnon. The second period was a different story. The Buckeyes got careless with the puck and the Huskies made them pay with three goals, one of which was shorthanded. After the first period, St. Cloud goalie Julie Friend stood tall and kept the Buckeyes off the scoreboard. St. Cloud would add an empty-netter at the end to make the final score 4-2. The Buckeyes and Huskies are back at it tomorrow at 1:07 pm ET.

Comment

The Three Stars for last night's game are now available on the WCHA thread. Boo!

Comment

Yes, you do have time to read the Three Stars of the Game. After all, you got an extra hour of sleep last night.

Posts for both games are now available on the WCHA thread.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                        Yes, you do have time to read the Three Stars of the Game. After all, you got an extra hour of sleep last night.

Posts for both games are now available on the WCHA thread.
                        Glad to hear that, and welcome back! I am thinking Julie Friend got one of the stars Friday night, just a guess. Good bounce-back win yesterday. The girls were not happy with Friday night's result as they felt they should not have let a 2-0 lead slip away. Hopefully they learn from that. Next up is a trip to Mankato to face the Mavericks.

Comment

Originally posted by osualum86 View Post
                          Glad to hear that, and welcome back!
                          Thanks, good to be back.

I am thinking Julie Friend got one of the stars Friday night, just a guess.
                          Solid guess. But as you know by now, I found that to be a difficult choice. I didn't talk to any of the St. Cloud players, but I've gotta believe that Julie would like another try on both of the Buckeye goals scored Friday. As such, the 2nd and 3rd periods would have been a redemptive experience for her, rather than a tour-de-force. Still, in the end, she was a difference-maker.

Good bounce-back win yesterday. The girls were not happy with Friday night's result as they felt they should not have let a 2-0 lead slip away. Hopefully they learn from that.
                          Correct on all counts; Saturday's game was a great response by the team.

Next up is a trip to Mankato to face the Mavericks.
                          No easy outs in the WCHA; especially on the road. Go Bucks!

Comment

Working...
                          X