Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
    Nobody, with the exception of the 2013 Gophers, scores consistently with their 3rd and 4th lines.
    Wisconsin has had some very good 3rd lines over the years: 2008-09, 2010-11, and last year all come to mind as seasons where the Badgers third line would score key goals in big games. The first year, they had Brooke Ammerman on the 3rd line, in 2011 it included national team players like Deluce and Prevost, and last year, it was hard to tell which line was the 3rd on any given day.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      Wisconsin has had some very good 3rd lines over the years: 2008-09, 2010-11, and last year all come to mind as seasons where the Badgers third line would score key goals in big games. The first year, they had Brooke Ammerman on the 3rd line, in 2011 it included national team players like Deluce and Prevost, and last year, it was hard to tell which line was the 3rd on any given day.
      Hmmm. Looks like I have to stop making provable assertions, or all my posts will be subject to correction.

So, here goes: The Gophers' uniforms have never looked better!

Comment

Word.

As for the other, I agree with your broad point. I doubt there have been a dozen exceptions over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
          I like the top 6 forwards for Minnesota over WisconSIN. But that's what happens when you wear gold colored (tinted) glasses.
          My glasses are red and I am partial to agree with you at this point in the season.

Hmmm. Looks like I have to stop making provable assertions, or all my posts will be subject to correction.

WORSE, they's never looked worse, can't you get anything right?!
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
            Don't get too comfortable! Bemidji looks to be good, maybe North Dakota as well. While the league has two clear frontrunners this year, we're still talking about the WCHA. Taking a night off, any night off, is a really bad idea.
            I take Bemidji's improvement as read, they play with a lot of heart I would never take them lightly. That other team I have zero respect for because they have zero respect for the game, They play cheap & dirty and it is not just a player or two. But then when you coach accuses you - in public, to the press - of having no heart simply because you got beaten by a better team I imagine there is a level of frustration that needs an outlet. A classless act from top to bottom.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
              I take Bemidji's improvement as read, they play with a lot of heart I would never take them lightly.
              Agree completely; BSU is a very hard-working team.

That other team...
              My only point was they might be a tough out.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                Agree completely; BSU is a very hard-working team.

My only point was they might be a tough out.
                Yep and they have very good goaltending, too. Mowat and Amsley-Benzie Conduct Clinic
                Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                Eric's Twitter
                The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                  A classless act from top to bottom.
                  I can't agree with that. Someone like Dufault is a skill/finesse player. I'd never use any of cheap, dirty, or classless to describe her. Krzyzaniak is as hard-nosed as they come; a typical Canadian player, she'll take it right to the limit and not back down. But if she was on my team, I'd love her. There have been UND players over the years who IMO may have deserved some of the adjectives you use, but I'd never pin labels like that on the whole team, or any roster as a whole.

Comment

I, too, would disagree with the UMD characterization based on last weekend's games. The second game in particular had, I think, 1 penalty called - and a couple of the penalties in the first game were Doocy at his worst. Truly awful. Both teams skated hard, went for the puck, and played clean. There are girls on both teams who were (are) tough competitors and who don't back down when challenged. We love that about women's college hockey. Heck, (without checking) I think Mankato might even have more foreign nationals on their team than the 'Dogs this year

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                      but I'd never pin labels like that on the whole team, or any roster as a whole.
                      But I would, based on simple observation. This behavior manifests itself in only a few places and it repeats in those places. Why do we not see the cheap, dirty hits from MSU, BSU, Wis, MN for instance? What makes UND particularly and UMD often the source? I believe UMD might have eliminated a source (we'll see). It mat not be fair to paint the whole team but there is something wrong with programs that fall into this type of play repeatedly.

Comment

Got back late to Minnesota from Columbus because of a few Presidential site visits after the hockey games last weekend.

First of all a big thank you to both osualum86 and pgb-ohio for the advice on parking. It was a great help. We did not mind the $15 charge for parking on Saturday which was all we paid for the 2 games. Even the program was free. As for the arena, the hot chocolate and pretzel's were better than those at Ridder. Everything else, not even close. A parent of one of the OSU players told us that the OSU men used to play there as well. Hard to believe. It reminded me of some of the bad high school arenas I was in back in the day.

As for the game, I would have sworn that the tying goal by OSU in the 1st period on Friday would be waved off by the officials because of a hand pass from a OSU player kneeling on the ice in the pileup in front of the Gopher net to the OSU player out in front. It wasn't even reviewed. Did anybody else see it or was I imagining it and temporarily distracted by the highly entertaining 2 year old doing laps in front of me with his father. I guess I shouldn't complain because the 3 possible goals that were reviewed all went in favor of the Gophers. I didn't know that Brad Frost could whistle that loud when he called Krissy Morrison over to the Gopher bench to ask her to review a disallowed goal. Did it hit a leg and go in as Hannah Brandt seemed to be indicating to the other referee? I thought Jenny Potter remained rather stoic throughout a pretty dreadful weekend for her team. She has her work cut out for her.

Brook Garzone! Game winning goals both games and is one tough and durable hockey player. Watching her (pun not intended) reminded me of John Cameron Swayze's ads for Timex.

Finally, this trip completed a hockey bucket list for us to have now been to a Gopher away game at each of their WCHA opponents. Nowhere have we met more friendly or helpful fans than in Columbus. We had just arrived at the parking lot next to the arena for Friday's game and pulled into a handicap spot and a Ohio fan came running up to us and said, "I see you're from Minnesota and I just want you to know that the parking is free here today, but tomorrow you'll have to pay $15 because of the football game." On Saturday as we walked through the parking lot to the arena, a OSU football tailgating fan came up to us and said, "Hey Minnesota, are you here for the football game?" We explained and he said, "Women's hockey? Well, God bless you for that." We ran into him again after the game and he told us he had gone into the arena and watched the 2nd period and that's one "heckuva" hockey team you've got there. He also told us he wished he had a couple of extra tickets to give us so we could watch the football game, but that the band and the team would be marching by shortly on their way to the stadium and it's quite the sight! Nice folks!
                        Last edited by bluffrinkrat; 10-21-2015, 03:38 AM.
                        "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                          It reminded me of some of the bad high school arenas I was in back in the day.
                          is it Williams/Mariucci Arena bad or the Old StP auditorium bad?

The StP auditorium is where they held the state HS hockey tournament before Met Center was built, calling any other arena "the barn" indicates the talker never was there because it truly was a barn, being home to the circus and similar events, the place was dusty and gritty, after leaving you wanted to take a shower, Williams/Mariucci was hospital clean in comparison. If there was ever a worse venue, other than outside in January, I never experienced it.

BTW, the StP auditorium was even worse than the State Fair auditorium where they held the early Girls HS tournaments.
                          Last edited by pokechecker; 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

I'd compare OSU arena more to Mankato State's than the ones mentioned, but maybe not quite as "plush" as Mankato. We forgot our Gopher blanket Friday night and just about froze our ..... off. It could never be as cold as it was on Eveleth's metal seats though. OSU arena needs a paint job on the boards and new plexiglass for starters. Nice people and nice trip though, especially #5's dad from Ontario who sat next to us. Worse part of the trip was staying at the Days Inn. The elevator broke down four times while we were there. It belongs on that TV show, hotels from he.., or whatever it's called.
                            "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Picks for the week!
                              Gophers, Badgers, Buckeyes sweep.
                              Huskies split with North Dakota! After scoring a bunch 12or 13 vs Merrimack, the huskies were out classed the last 2 weekends
                              It only gets a bit easier this weekend, but I feel like they will find enough offence too win one close game, 3-2 or 2-1. After a slow start , Katie Fitsgerald has found her game, she was solid vs the Badgers, that's key, as it looks like Ms Crosby is not quite ready to be a div 1 starter .
                              Looking forward too visiting the Herb Brooks centre
                              For the first time this year!
                              Go Huskies!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
                                I'd compare OSU arena more to Mankato State's than the ones mentioned, but maybe not quite as "plush" as Mankato. We forgot our Gopher blanket Friday night and just about froze our ..... off. It could never be as cold as it was on Eveleth's metal seats though. OSU arena needs a paint job on the boards and new plexiglass for starters. Nice people and nice trip though, especially #5's dad from Ontario who sat next to us. Worse part of the trip was staying at the Days Inn. The elevator broke down four times while we were there. It belongs on that TV show, hotels from he.., or whatever it's called.
                                how about aluminum benches in January? that's what the outdoor classic at the Bank was. who in the world thought aluminum benches for an outdoor football stadium was a good idea?. even a 40 degree day is going to suck the heat out of you, Aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat

at least Williams/Mariucci had wood seats

Comment

Working...
                                X