WCHA Thread V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread V

I can see how WI could have a tougher time getting as high as the other teams for these games since for them to have any meaning several things have to fall into place in other conferences, in the end they will host a 1/4 final game regardless what happens, and does it really matter who that opponent is? And in the vast majority of scenerios that play out, WI & MN end up in the same bracket, so it's not like the games have meaning as to whether they play MN, BC, or Harvard, should they make it that far. It's do or die for UND & BSU. If I were a Gopher player, I'd want to beat those teams just so you don't have to beat them again in the 1/4 final.

BTW, this bracketology puts me in the odd position of hoping the Badgers beat the Fighting Suzies.
    Go Red!
    Last edited by pokechecker; 03-04-2015, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
      Seems like people are slow to give props to Leveille when she has a good game, and quick to point it out when she lets in a soft one.

Whatever, what I mean is it sure is nice to hear someone other than Brad Frost say something good about her!
      I have watched many games in this conference this year and although I can appreciate AL's talent, I still believe that the other 3 playing this weekend are equal to or superior goaltenders. These games should be very close and it could come down to goaltending. Let's see what happens on the weekend and take it from there. ND could be the surprise winner this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        I can see how WI could have a tougher time getting as high as the other teams for these games since for them to have any meaning several things have to fall into place in other conferences, in the end they will host a 1/4 final game regardless what happens, and does it really matter who that opponent is? And in the vast majority of scenerios that play out, WI & MN end up in the same bracket, so it's not like the games have meaning as to whether they play MN, BC, or Harvard, should they make it that far. It's do or die for UND & BSU. If I were a Gopher player, I'd want to beat those teams just so you don't have to beat them again in the 1/4 final.

BTW, this bracketology puts me in the odd position of hoping the Badgers beat the Fighting Suzies.
        Go Red!
        Could be...

http://media.giphy.com/media/uwa35VMtq9yWQ/giphy.gif
        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Went under the assumption that BTN2GO or BTN2GOPlus would pick these games up.

Not.
          Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by 5mn_Major View Post
            Went under the assumption that BTN2GO or BTN2GOPlus would pick these games up.

Not.
            You probably are already aware of this as it has been mentioned previously but if not, FastHockey (FastHockey.com) is streaming the games.
            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
              If I were a Gopher player, I'd want to beat those teams just so you don't have to beat them again in the 1/4 final.
              Yes!

Comment

Conference awards are out.

WCHA Player of the Year – Hannah Brandt; Jr., F, Minnesota

WCHA Defensive Player of the Year – Rachel Ramsey; Sr., F, Minnesota

WCHA Rookie of the Year – Annie Pankowski; Fr., F, Wisconsin

WCHA Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year & WCHA Goaltending Champion – Shelby Amsley-Benzie; Jr., North Dakota

WCHA Coach of the Year – Jim Scanlan, Bemidji State

All-WCHA First Team:
                Forwards - Hannah Brandt, Jr., Minnesota; Dani Cameranesi, So., Minnesota; Blayre Turnbull, Sr., Wisconsin
                Defense - Rachel Ramsey, Sr., Minnesota; Lee Stecklein, So., Minnesota
                Goaltender - Shelby Amsley-Benzie, Jr., North Dakota; Brittni Mowat, So., Bemidji State

All-WCHA Second Team:
                Forwards - Brittany Ammerman, Sr., Wisconsin; Zoe Hickel, Sr., Minnesota Duluth; Annie Pankowski, Fr., Wisconsin
                Defense - Milica McMillen, Jr., Minnesota; Brigette Lacquette, Sr., Minnesota Duluth

All-WCHA Third Team:
                Forwards - Rachael Bona, Sr., Minnesota; Becca Kohler, Jr., North Dakota; Karley Sylvester, Sr., Wisconsin
                Defense - Courtney Burke, Jr., Wisconsin; Halli Krzyzaniak, So., North Dakota
                Goaltender - Ann-Renée Desbiens, So., Wisconsin

All-WCHA Rookie Team:
                Forwards - Emily Clark, Fr., Wisconsin; Annie Pankowski, Fr., Wisconsin; Kelly Pannek, Fr., Minnesota
                Defense - Sydney Baldwin, Fr., Minnesota; Alexis Joyce, Fr., Bemidji State
                Goaltender - Kassidy Sauve, Fr., Ohio State
                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

In games played since Jan. 1, Shelby Amsley-Benzie of UND leads the nation in save percentage (.970), goals-against average (0.70) and shutouts (8). Six of her shutouts have come in the past 10 games and she has only conceded 11 goals in her 15 games played since the start of the new year. She also set a program-record shutout streak spanning 297 minutes and 13 seconds, between the span of Feb. 7 and Feb. 27.

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyDave View Post
                    Conference awards are out.

WCHA Rookie of the Year – Annie Pankowski; Fr., F, Wisconsin
                    Someone get boned per the team they're on?
                    Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Would be interesting to see how many votes Idalski got for COTY. What he did with this team should be positively noted. Given not only the way the team had performed down the stretch but how they did so overcoming some rather traumatic events. Not to mention the other circumstances surrounding the makeup of team this year. Starting with the failed appeal attempt for Michele Karvinan (mostly likely would have been a Kaz finalist and arguably one of the top 5 players in the country) and with Tapani choosing not to return at the last minute with no real options for replacements. Take the top two offensive threats off any team and see how well they perform. In my opinion only MN, WS or BC could have taken that kind of hit and still maintain a top ten ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                        Someone get boned per the team they're on?
                        Curious who you think got "boned." I was pleasantly surprised that Pankowski got ROTY, but I don't think she stole it from anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by frozenfeet View Post
                          Would be interesting to see how many votes Idalski got for COTY. What he did with this team should be positively noted. Given not only the way the team had performed down the stretch but how they did so overcoming some rather traumatic events. Not to mention the other circumstances surrounding the makeup of team this year. Starting with the failed appeal attempt for Michele Karvinan (mostly likely would have been a Kaz finalist and arguably one of the top 5 players in the country) and with Tapani choosing not to return at the last minute with no real options for replacements. Take the top two offensive threats off any team and see how well they perform. In my opinion only MN, WS or BC could have taken that kind of hit and still maintain a top ten ranking.
                          I wouldn't argue with that

I don't get the "boned" comment either
                          consider it's hockey "shaft" would have been a more appropiate term if that's the way you feel

there were 3 IMO who they could have given ROY to, any one of them is fine with me
                          in fact lots of good freshman this year, the WCHA should remain the top league and be very competitive

Comment

Originally posted by Badger Booster View Post
                            Curious who you think got "boned." I was pleasantly surprised that Pankowski got ROTY, but I don't think she stole it from anyone.
                            I do...and I think it's because of her teammates receiving major awards. Player of the Year and D Player of the Year. That should help to satisfy your curiosity.
                            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                              I do...and I think it's because of her teammates receiving major awards. Player of the Year and D Player of the Year. That should help to satisfy your curiosity.
                              I admit that Pankowski didn't have great games against Minnesota, but it wasn't like Pannek did much versus Wisconsin either. I did see Pankowski score a hat trick versus Clarkson, so I find her winning much easier to take than you do.

They do like to spread the recognition around somewhat, and the RotY in 2013 was Brandt, in 2014 was Cameranesi, and I think a future Gopher is likely to be preseason RotY next season. You can't win them all (except in 2012-13 ).
                              "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                              And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                                I admit that Pankowski didn't have great games against Minnesota, but it wasn't like Pannek did much versus Wisconsin either. I did see Pankowski score a hat trick versus Clarkson, so I find her winning much easier to take than you do.

They do like to spread the recognition around somewhat, and the RotY in 2013 was Brandt, in 2014 was Cameranesi, and I think a future Gopher is likely to be preseason RotY next season. You can't win them all (except in 2012-13 ).
                                I understand it's arguable, and will be argued. I'll admit "boned" is probably too strong a word given the small difference between them as far as raw numbers. I'm a proponent of spreading the wealth when it comes to weekly recognitions during the season. I don't think that should be an objective for year end season awards.

So yeah...I think Pannek should have gotten it. There were / are several stand outs in the freshman class. I'm not opposed to the arguments of those who promote the kid who plays, and plays well on a team with less support. Someone like Schammel may be the most legit pick, all things considered. For the purpose of, or an objective of spreading the wealth she's probably the most deserving and worthy.
                                Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Working...
                                X