Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: WCHA Thread V

Originally posted by The Boomer View Post
    Not unusual in women's hockey for the highly skilled teams to take fewer--and less severe--penalties. Skilled teams can move the puck and have good speed, thus fewer "lazy" penalties like trips, hooks, etc.

Some teams do have some "hacks" playing that ring up more penalties and more major penalties. It only takes one or two individuals to increase the statistics of a team.

Even though I really don't much like Ohio State, it seems to me that the odd fact that they were able to tie mighty Minnesota is being faulted by some Gopher fans as "dirty" play, etc.

We have all seen games where the officials let things get out of control, either by making sure the marbles are equally distributed, or by missing the dangerous penalties and only call the ticky-tacky ones.

Most good teams will adjust to intimidating tactics by the opponent and will find a way to win those games.
    first of all, it's the Gophers own fault they let OSU tie them

and for the record, it was the usual suspect, the same problem child it nearly always is
    maybe it's not her fault, bad parenting, bad genes, ....

Comment

BTW - I'd like to compare MSU's rugged style to what we saw from OSU. Mankato will put a body on the puck carrier always and with more force than would be considered legal in women's hockey. I have no problem with that as long as the talent level is equal enough that both side can take the physical bumping. The impression I have gotten from Eastern coaches is that the WCHA is more rugged than they are used to but the top teams I have seen from out East have no problem playing that way so I wonder if they are working the refs. MSU checks more than any WCHA team I have seen but the sticks, elbows and fists stay down where they belong. Thats OK mostly as far as I am concerned. UMD and UND play cheap from what I have seen; elbows, sticks and fists come up in dangerous ways. UMD seems particularly bad when they fall behind but nobody uses them to the extent that OSU did on Friday. That was a crime, the game is dangerous enough when played as it is ruled to be played. Playing to intentionally hurt people should be prevented.

Comment

SCSU Huskies @ MSU-M Mavericks tonight, then the upcoming weekend has:

St. Cloud State @ Bemidji State

Minnesota State @ Ohio State

Minnesota @ North Dakota

Minnesota-Duluth @ Wisconsin

NoDak seems to be focused on a push to move up the standings ladder. Know they'll be doing everything possible for chance to leap frog the Bulldogs. More fireworks in GF?
        Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
          No, no, no, no, NO. As much as I hate the cheap stuff UMD pulls they are angels compared to the Friggin Whouix.
          let's cut to the chase, the more Canadians you have on your team, the more likely you are to have some players who try to make up for their lack of skill by being a goon, while most Canadian coaches and parents do not approve of this or teach it, there are many that do, it is part of their nation's fabric, pro players who play like this are held in high esteem

I don't know about the rest of the US, but this sort of BS is not tolerated around here in youth hockey, sure, there are a few players that do stuff like this, and there was the boys coach , but the vast majority of coaches do not teach that and any players who are lead astray by pro hockey are given behavior modification

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
            let's cut to the chase, the more Canadians you have on your team, the more likely you are to have some players who try to make up for their lack of skill by being a goon, while most Canadian coaches and parents do not approve of this or teach it, there are many that do, it is part of their nation's fabric, pro players who play like this are held in high esteem

I don't know about the rest of the US, but this sort of BS is not tolerated around here in youth hockey, sure, there are a few players that do stuff like this, and there was the boys coach , but the vast majority of coaches do not teach that and any players who are lead astray by pro hockey are given behavior modification
            Except that where NoDak is concerned I think the worst...or most likely offender is a US, and Minnesota native.
            Minnesota Hockey

Comment

I have certainly felt that way on the mens side for years, since UND was bringing down those 22 year old Freshmen to beat on 18 year old kids from the states. But I never wanted to indict Canada as much as the NHL. The league claims to have the greatest players but it never allows them to play their game because every team has goons so if you want to make it to the NHL but are not Rocket Richard then learn to goon it up & there is still a good chance. That attitude has filtered down to the NCAA and Minnesota high school. Went to see Burnsville play Wayzata a couple weeks back & the puck was secondary to pushing & shoving; a lot of cheap stuff happening. A couple years ago I was at a bantam tourney and watched two guys pound each other in the facemask 5 or 6 times. The ref stood there & watched did nothing.

The women may be slower but the games are faster because there is not (yet) all the hooking, holding, interference and cheap shots that have become common place on the mens side.

Comment

Originally posted by brookyone View Post
                Except that where NoDak is concerned I think the worst...or most likely offender is a US, and Minnesota native.
                I had included a reference to her in my original writing but deleted it, along with a boys coach who thankfully is no longer coaching.

the exception does not disprove the rule

IMO, naming them, or even referring to them, gives them notoriety they do not deserve

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
                I have certainly felt that way on the mens side for years, since UND was bringing down those 22 year old Freshmen to beat on 18 year old kids from the states. But I never wanted to indict Canada as much as the NHL. The league claims to have the greatest players but it never allows them to play their game because every team has goons so if you want to make it to the NHL but are not Rocket Richard then learn to goon it up & there is still a good chance. That attitude has filtered down to the NCAA and Minnesota high school. Went to see Burnsville play Wayzata a couple weeks back & the puck was secondary to pushing & shoving; a lot of cheap stuff happening. A couple years ago I was at a bantam tourney and watched two guys pound each other in the facemask 5 or 6 times. The ref stood there & watched did nothing.
                pushing and shoving is a far cry from the stuff we (I) am referring to

and look at the WCHA men, if you have been following them for as long as I have you know it has been cleaned up greatly, back in the day it was the Wild Wild West, basically many of the Canucks were lacking in talent (the reason they were in college) and the only way to the NHL was by proving they could fight
                Last edited by pokechecker; 02-02-2015, 06:45 PM. Reason: Oh Canada!

Comment

IMO, naming them, or even referring to them, gives them notoriety they do not deserve
                  She is the little goon that cross-checked the living hell out of Terry after she scored the winning goal in OT at the NCAA tourney and intentionally tripped a ref as she came out of the box this year. She is a piece of work that needs to sit out for a long time
                  pushing and shoving is a far cry from the stuff we (I) am referring to
                  I was being polite, I really wanted to call it jousting but there were a lot of fists & sticks to the face & head. The most memorable set was 2 guys beating the hell out of each other while the puck sat unmolested at their feet. A third player swooped in & took it but the refs called nothing.

I'll add that our daughter played hockey at the same high school as the little thug did, though 3-4 years earlier, & thugetta did not learn to play that way there. I assume it is her personal style but I can't see her HS coach tolerating that crap.
                  Last edited by ne7minder; 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KTDC View Post
                    Though OSU does not take an inordinate number of penalties throughout their games, are the penalties they do commit particularly dirty and bait the opponent and cause them to take an unusually high number of penalties and throw them off their game?

Why are there so many majors in OSU games?

you pretty much answered your own question

they play Canadian hockey, that is:
                    if you can't bring your game up to the level of your opponent
                    bring your opponents level of play down to yours
                    this strategy is nearly as old as hockey

that is accomplished by seeing what you can get away with, slashes, gloves to the face, cross checks.... often post whistle because they know most refs won't call it then
                    until your opponent finally is more or less forced to respond
                    if the opponent is more concerned about retaliating, they no longer have their mind on what makes them better

this is how the Canadians beat Team USA to some extent and Stone fell for it (if that's the way they want to play..)

honestly, I thought OSU played as well as WI did against the Gophers, the difference is that the Badgers are a much better disciplined team and channeled their energy into playing better rather than playing dirty
                    sure the result was the same, a tie and a loss, but in the long run the Badgers are a better team and more likely to accomplish a lot more
                    Last edited by pokechecker; 02-04-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

this is how the Canadians beat Team USA to some extent and Stone fell for it (if that's the way they want to play..)
                      Stone had lot of help from a couple of sisters who seem to sacrifice play for cheap & the funny thing is the D half gets toasted often enough that Canadian TV made a video of it.

Comment

Adversity Motivates UND Women’s Team
                        Contributing Editor and College Hockey Writer at Inside Hockey
                        Eric's Twitter
                        The Sin Bin The Sports Daily

Comment

[QUOTE=pokechecker;6092747]you pretty much answered your own question

My lord, why would you ever want to copy the style of the reigning and perennial world champions in men's and women's hockey! Shame on them. I also remember a Clarkson Canadian dominated team winning the NCAA Championship last year! Maybe the US teams need a little grit in their game! Admittedly, there is a difference between aggressive play and dirty play and the key is to bring balance to your game. I and not sure that bringing nationality into the discussion will win you any points.

Comment

[QUOTE=Puckdrop14;6093232]
                            you pretty much answered your own question

My lord, why would you ever want to copy the style of the reigning and perennial world champions in men's and women's hockey! Shame on them. I also remember a Clarkson Canadian dominated team winning the NCAA Championship last year! Maybe the US teams need a little grit in their game! Admittedly, there is a difference between aggressive play and dirty play and the key is to bring balance to your game. I and not sure that bringing nationality into the discussion will win you any points.
                            you must be new, I have never tried to earn points with anyone
                            if I were a fan of Clarkson, I would be offended at the comparison

you kind of prove my point though:
                            "bringing a balance to aggressive and dirty play"

Comment

[QUOTE=pokechecker;6093245]
                              Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                              you must be new, I have never tried to earn points with anyone
                              if I were a fan of Clarkson, I would be offended at the comparison

you kind of prove my point though:
                              "bringing a balance to aggressive and dirty play"
                              So, Clarkson is primarily stocked with Canadian players and the coaching staff is for the most part Canadian. So what is your definition of Canadian hockey? You have me confused.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZXY1R-L0Q
                                :56 - #4 creates all the adversity UND should ever need - **** near sent #10 to the hospital with that cheap shot.
                                Last edited by ne7minder; 02-07-2015, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X