2014 Four Nations Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014 Four Nations Cup

Team Canada video blurb featuring former Gopher Kelly Terry.

(It takes a few seconds for the video to load)

Comment

Video interview of Team USA's Amanda Pelkey by a Burlington, Vermont TV station.

Comment

Originally posted by Hux View Post

And a little snippet of the player at work:
        Pelky's Play of the Week
        "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

I had decided this season to make it my job to point out the frequent errors the Pioneer Press makes in their inept coverage of Gopher women's hockey. So I was all set to indignantly point out that in today's sport section they mentioned Monique Lamoureux, but not Gigi Marvin as being a member of the team. What a ridiculous omission, I thought. But caution being wise I looked up the roster on the internet and low and behold no Gigi listed! As the Brits used to sing a couple of centuries ago, is the world turned upside down? Is the paper correct and the Gopher women's hockey website wrong concerning Gigi's status with the US Four Nations team? Say it isn't so!
          "Everything that rises must converge." Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

Originally posted by bluffrinkrat View Post
            I had decided this season to make it my job to point out the frequent errors the Pioneer Press makes in their inept coverage of Gopher women's hockey. So I was all set to indignantly point out that in today's sport section they mentioned Monique Lamoureux, but not Gigi Marvin as being a member of the team. What a ridiculous omission, I thought. But caution being wise I looked up the roster on the internet and low and behold no Gigi listed! As the Brits used to sing a couple of centuries ago, is the world turned upside down? Is the paper correct and the Gopher women's hockey website wrong concerning Gigi's status with the US Four Nations team? Say it isn't so!
            it's not that hard to figure out. if a player that good is not on the roster there must be something wrong.
            has she played for the Blades lately?
            c'mon Columbo...

Comment

I could be mistaken, but thought Gigi was initially on the roster then later removed...for reasons unknown to me. Both the PP and Gophersports may have been accurate within the time frames. May have been, that is.

Whatever the case...I'd much rather see Gigi present on the US blueline.

...and Anne Schleper, did I miss a retirement announcement?
              Minnesota Hockey

Comment

Columbo I'm not, but I did have a similar 40 year old trench coat that my wife eventually convinced me to toss. I should have mentioned in my prior post that it was in yesterday's Gopher website article about Mira being on Finland's roster that Gigi was still included as one of the five former or current Gophers on the US team. So it's not a timing issue. I don't have a problem with the Gopher website not including Monique as a former Gopher on the team. It was just kind of odd that the paper did. Maybe they are trying to be more accurate in their coverage which would be a good thing. They even had the venue correct this time. Kamloops, BC.

Comment

I should have mentioned in my prior post that it was in yesterday's Gopher website article about Mira being on Finland's roster that Gigi was still included as one of the five former or current Gophers on the US team. So it's not a timing issue.
                  The U of M SID gets a release from USA Hockey with the initial roster and builds her content. USA hockey likely didn't send out a follow-up release when Gigi was replaced, so it is easy enough to assume that Gigi is still a go when noting Mira. Not exactly timing related, but definitely related to changing information.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Also I assume Noora Raty is not playing because of men's pro team obligations?
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                      Presumably, which is also the reason Szabados is not available for Canada

Comment

I don't have a problem with the Gopher website not including Monique as a former Gopher on the team. It was just kind of odd that the paper did.
                        I doubt they even know who Monique is,
                        newspapers and TV today often take the PR of others as fact and don't bother to check for accuracy or if it is up to date
                        newspapers are under such economic woes that any corner they can cut, the longer they hold off bankruptcy

Comment

My guess is that the paper did not discover that Gigi Marvin is not on the team (if that's the case) through Woodword/Bernstein type investigative journalism. It was probably just dumb luck that they did not include her in the article and it turned out to be correct (maybe). Kind of like that broken clock saying. I was just surprised that the paper was correct and the Gopher website (for whatever reason) wrong (maybe) concerning Gigi Marvin.

Comment

The US Women's National Team was apparently busy at an AVs-Sharks game last night.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                              Didn't she retire from national team duties rather publicly after the Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by NUWH DogHouse View Post
                                Didn't she retire from national team duties rather publicly after the Olympics?
                                Actually, she threatened to retire... period. But then she signed on with the men's team and said that she was highly unlikely play with the women's national team because of the conflicting schedules.
                                Give blood... Play Gopher Hockey!
                                Men's National Championships: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002, 2003
                                Women's National Championships: 2000, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2013, 2015, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X