UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Thought it was time for a season thread. We play 6 regular season games in Massachusetts this season. Let's add 2 for the HEA Championship and 2 for the Frozen Four. "Why not us?"

Re: UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Thoughts on Clarkson anyone? I'd say there's an excellent chance we'll see Santaguida this weekend, probably in the Saturday game at Clarkson I would think. Anyone from Clarkson want to fill us in on what we'll be seeing? I understand you guys have a big freshmen class, with a couple of potential game-changers mixed in. I always hated games at Clarkson back in our ECAC days. Tough place to play and we usually got hammered.

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
      Thoughts on Clarkson anyone? I'd say there's an excellent chance we'll see Santaguida this weekend, probably in the Saturday game at Clarkson I would think. Anyone from Clarkson want to fill us in on what we'll be seeing? I understand you guys have a big freshmen class, with a couple of potential game-changers mixed in. I always hated games at Clarkson back in our ECAC days. Tough place to play and we usually got hammered.
      Sounds like they are picked to be a mid pack ECAC team, with good defense but lacking on the offensive side. They came away with wins against Niagara and RIT this weekend, but the two teams combined only mustered 32 shots so... either their defense was incredible or RIT and Niagara just aren't very good. Considering USCHO lists 44 teams in the top 20 or receiving votes and neither team is listed in either category I'm going to assume it is the latter.

It's still early and I don't want to get too excited about last weekends win, but I would be disappointed with anything less then a win and a tie. That said, their defense and goalie are their strengths, so I could see the possibility of a low scoring game that got stole by the tender.
      Originally posted by Hokydad
      Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Well Clarkson beat Niagara 3-1 a day before St Lawrence beat Niagara 10-1. So either STL
        is really good or the other two teams are not.
        New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
          Well Clarkson beat Niagara 3-1 a day before St Lawrence beat Niagara 10-1. So either STL
          is really good or the other two teams are not.
          But RIT beat SLU 5-2 before we beat them 3-1. I'm in agreement with what's been said so far - Clarkson will not score a lot, but won't give up a lot either. I'm expecting a split, and hoping for more than that. We've done pretty well historically in Gutterson, hoping that holds up this weekend.
          Not a real doctor, nor do I play one on TV!
          Clarkson 1990

Comment

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
            Thought it was time for a season thread. We play 6 regular season games in Massachusetts this season. Let's add 2 for the HEA Championship and 2 for the Frozen Four. "Why not us?"
            Finishing 9th in Hockey East, beating Northeastern in the first round game, losing to UML in 3 in the quarterfinals, and missing the NCAAs would also get 10

(FYI: I went to the UVM at NU game on Saturday and don't actually think you guys finishing that low is an option)

Comment

Originally posted by Agganis View Post
              Finishing 9th in Hockey East, beating Northeastern in the first round game, losing to UML in 3 in the quarterfinals, and missing the NCAAs would also get 10

(FYI: I went to the UVM at NU game on Saturday and don't actually think you guys finishing that low is an option)
              Certainly nice to start the season with 2 points from a team that was expected to finish 4th.

Comment

Yeah, I did consider there are other ways to get to 10 games, which wouldn't be so good. Banking on us having home ice for the first round and quarterfinals though.

Comment

I like the cats chances this year but no did lose to the Canadian team they played so let's not over hype the w last weekend. They do need 3 points this weekend though to start working on the r p I for tourney

Comment

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
                    I like the cats chances this year but no did lose to the Canadian team they played so let's not over hype the w last weekend. They do need 3 points this weekend though to start working on the r p I for tourney
                    That was N U

Comment

Also, just as a side note, I think the first round is going to be a best of three series this year, just like the quarterfinals. I like it--eliminates flukey results at a critical time in the season.

Comment

Don't know if anyone else has seen this but there are a slew of Catamount stories on ABC22 website http://www.mychamplainvalley.com/sports

There's a weekend preview against Clarkson as well as a 4 part series on the hockey program both mens and womens.
                        Originally posted by Hokydad
                        Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

Observations from last night:

Alex Priviterra is a stud! Huge pick up for this program. Mark my words him and Paliotta will be best d line in HE this season. Great player both ways, makes smart plays and timely stops... Really impressed with this kid last night, thought he was the best skater on the ice last night.

Hoff was the best player overall last night, and won this game. Time to cash in and ride Hoff the rest of the way, he deserves it.

Reynolds was awful. Too much dipsydoodle and soft play. I remember McCarthy being soft on his first couple games back last year, and hope Reynolds can turn the corner like chris did.

Defense overall is solid. Lukkko looked good, pattyn was physical, I guess Muscoby would be odd man out when Phillips can skate?

Missing forg out there, I think he serves a valuable purpose on this team with his energy and spark. Would be great to have him back playing with some of the young Fwds on the bottom lines.

Hopefully they can play a more "complete game" tonight and get the sweep. Things are looking promising though so far!

Comment

Certainly not Reynolds best game. Both teams looked good at points last night. I thought Clarkson may have had slightly more chances, but UVM had a lot more quality ones (except for the one breakaway Clarkson had). The speed differential was very apparent though, I thought we were a much faster team on the ice throughout the game.
                            Plattsburgh '11 Go Cards.
                            National Champions 1992, 2001
                            21 SUNYAC Championships

Norwich University
                            National Champions 2000, 2003, 2010

University of Vermont
                            Future National Champions 201?

Comment

Originally posted by charliecatamount View Post
                              I guess Muscoby would be odd man out when Phillips can skate?
                              That is an interesting one... I thought he looked better than Pattyn (sp) but it might be a question of which side (LD or RD) ..

Comment

Working...
                              X