Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UVM 2014-2015: Let's Play 10 Games in Massachusetts this Season

Originally posted by snwbrdr View Post
    Where are all the Sneddon bashers hiding anyway? Are they Umass fans now? The cats are #1 in team D. And not via the neutral zone trap but via a fast, tenacious and deep roster that does not give the opponent a lot of time and space. This team is FUN to watch, they are fast, they forecheck, the D pinches and joins the rush. They are the most deep and fun team to watch I have seen in a UVM uniform in my 20 or so years attending games and following them.

I will grant that the road gets tougher from here, but they will compete with anyone and should win their share of games even against the very top teams. If they get hot at the right time they could go a long way in the post season.

This turnaround is more proof to me that it takes a staff, not one guy, to make the program function and excel. Its like a middle sized business in that way. I will say that Sneddon should have changed out his assistants more quickly when it got stale and the recruiting started to suffer (after Willie Mitchell left). So that is on him, but he seems to have made some good decisions with Wallack and Patrick because their arrival has resulted in this nice improvement in the product on the ice, and the recruiting. Now we need to parlay this growing success into a new building and that would help get the program to a higher level of consistent success.
    You just going to pat yourself on the back because you never once questioned what the hell Sneddon was doing in that 3 year period of absolute dogcrap hockey? Ok good for you. I'm glad he made the changes he needed to, and it takes one guy to make the decisions it is why he is called head coach and paid the money to have the right people around him and Sneddon didn't do that and he didn't do a lot of things after 2009 that led to the team going right to the basement shortly after he didn't even watch players they were bringing into the program they didn't show up to key recruiting tournaments in prep schools which of course ****ed off coaches who steered players away from UVM they went after guys they knew where not what made them successful and were probably never going to seriously consider the school and whiffed and had to get guys who really had no business being d1 hockey players because their options were gone. And he was in charge of it all and allowed it to me if that behavior had continued it was all the grounds to be fired that and the constant excuses he would make about not having the facilities kids going major junior all this stuff sounded like a man who had lost control of his program, but he gets a lot of credit for seeing he was wrong in their team building approach and switched it up and to me it seems like they have recommitted to how they got successful in the first place so he deserves a lot of credit and I do hope they keep it up with the very hard schedule ahead and that it means better consistent teams in future years but I stand by all my comments of so called bashing of Sneddon prior because at the time he deserved it but don't make it sound like people who question the direction of how things are going don't have opinions that matter or should be heard

Comment

Where are all the Sneddon bashers hiding anyway? Are they Umass fans now? The cats are #1 in team D. And not via the neutral zone trap but via a fast, tenacious and deep roster that does not give the opponent a lot of time and space. This team is FUN to watch, they are fast, they forecheck, the D pinches and joins the rush. They are the most deep and fun team to watch I have seen in a UVM uniform in my 20 or so years attending games and following them.
      I am sticking with my original comments although it really should be 2-3 not 1-2. A lot of wasted years for this program based on moving into HE and having a lot to offer:
      Originally posted by GreenCat View Post
      Yeah it only took 10 years...... My jury is still out despite this being the best team in a loooooonnnnngggg time under Sneddon. 1-2 seasons out of 10-11 years does not convince me yet. Speaking of negativity where is Catmandooooooooo??

Comment

I had an even longer post typed up but realized it was mostly about me...

I'm a newbie on this board so not sure what each members stance on Sneddon has been through the years.

Cliffs from my long post:
        Went to UVM in the dark times (2000-2004) and lived in Burlington till 07. Obviously I saw a lot of bad to mediocre hockey (hazing scandal, coaching change, etc). Sneddon had a big rebuild on his hands when he came here... and did a good job. Then the wheels came off in the 10-11 season and we really suffered until last year.

There is nobody else to blame for those three lost seasons. Imo the head coach of a college hockey team is not comparable to a "mid-size" company. There is no reason he shouldn't be 100% on top of every recruiting decision, showing the flag, running every practice, making the tactical decisions, etc etc. He easily could have been fired after the 12-13 season and I wouldn't have argued the decision.

Things have turned around and I have to credit Sneddon in the same way I blamed him for the lost years.

100% agree that this is the best UVM team I've seen: top to bottom, GK, D, F (I lived in Miami FL in 08-09... not much college hockey talk down there). Top 3 in HE is achievable and the style of play makes us a tough out in any tournament. Lets enjoy it and not go back and forth about who was hating on Sneddon when we sucked.

I'll be ringing the **** bell at most away games (Yale, Dartmouth, BC, UML) ... give me a shout if you see me!

Go Cats!

Or F it we don't play till the Cup... gotta talk about something I guess
        Last edited by CTcatamount; 12-15-2014, 07:23 PM.

Comment

if you look at the entire Sneddon tenure it is still better than any similar period under prior coaches in D1 is it not, while the facility continues to age out and competitors are gradually improving their facilities. He has done a good job with the program overall. In any case, agree that this is a very good team, and fun to watch. Go Cats.

Comment

I do agree UVM is not in a great spot recruitingwise with the Gut. It takes a lot of grinding from the staff to put together the talent we have on this roster.

What kind of results do you guys think the program should be putting up year to year?

If we can finish 3-8 in HE most years, have a team that is fun to watch, doesn't get drunk and arrested, and can make the NCAAs 2 out of 4 years I'm very happy with that.
            Last edited by CTcatamount; 12-15-2014, 08:33 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by pokecheckguy View Post
              You just going to pat yourself on the back because you never once questioned what the hell Sneddon was doing in that 3 year period of absolute dogcrap hockey? Ok good for you. I'm glad he made the changes he needed to, and it takes one guy to make the decisions it is why he is called head coach and paid the money to have the right people around him and Sneddon didn't do that and he didn't do a lot of things after 2009 that led to the team going right to the basement shortly after he didn't even watch players they were bringing into the program they didn't show up to key recruiting tournaments in prep schools which of course ****ed off coaches who steered players away from UVM they went after guys they knew where not what made them successful and were probably never going to seriously consider the school and whiffed and had to get guys who really had no business being d1 hockey players because their options were gone. And he was in charge of it all and allowed it to me if that behavior had continued it was all the grounds to be fired that and the constant excuses he would make about not having the facilities kids going major junior all this stuff sounded like a man who had lost control of his program, but he gets a lot of credit for seeing he was wrong in their team building approach and switched it up and to me it seems like they have recommitted to how they got successful in the first place so he deserves a lot of credit and I do hope they keep it up with the very hard schedule ahead and that it means better consistent teams in future years but I stand by all my comments of so called bashing of Sneddon prior because at the time he deserved it but don't make it sound like people who question the direction of how things are going don't have opinions that matter or should be heard
              How about some punctuation? Not saying I have world class grammar, but wow.

OK, more seriously, how do you have inside info? I would expect the coaching staff had a recruiting strategy that Sneddon approved and landed some great players, like McCharthy & Brickley. Can't get much better than that on paper. But overall it didn't work so well. Perhaps the legitimate fault in the recruiting is that the assistant coaches were getting guys that Sneddon didn't know what to do with. Brickley seems to be doing pretty well in the AHL. I'd say he either just wan't meant for the college game or Sneddon didn't know what to do with him. Either way, I had fun watching the games and enjoy seeing the success of the team now.

Comment

Bump... Too bad such a long break when playing so well.... hopefully Santa brings forgionne into the lineup and gets some donations lined up for a new arena

I do think forgionne is a slight upgrade from one or two of our forwards but overall the forward crew is fairly tightly grouped in skill speed and tenacity.

Comment

Bump... Too bad such a long break when playing so well.... hopefully Santa brings forgionne into the lineup and gets some donations lined up for a new arena

I do think forgionne is a slight upgrade from one or two of our forwards but overall the forward crew is fairly tightly grouped in skill speed and tenacity.
                  I'm starting to feel like a hater. But perhaps this will trigger some conversation... I think you mean the forwards are tightly grouped in contribution to the team's success, yeah? Markison = speed. Irwin = tenacity. Super Mario = skill. Maybe you're saying after that it turns into a haupage (sp?) but I'd say that's boring to think about. Watching Forge last year I thought he was exceptional on the shutdown line. He def has the skill to contribute but he never seemed to get rattled into doing something dumb/quick with the puck. If he had the time to make a pass, he would. If he needed to dump it, he would. I think he's a role payer that can make the team a bit better. He and Tuk had some chemistry yeah?

Comment

Holy cow gone for a week and this...

Forwards are good. Forgionne is an addition, but on the shut down line. Put Turk and Forg back together on the shut down line and let them do what they do best... they need to regain some chemistry and get their mojo together before we face Eichel and BU.

Markinson has been playing much much better then previous years, glad to see that. I really like JPriv, he could fill in on any line by the looks of it. All in all lines are pretty solid.

D... well what can you say, with two more newcomers the competition gets even tighter. I hope that doesn't cause trouble, and works as a positive.

Tending... this is the biggest strength the Cats have, rotate down through and if Hoff and Santa are still playing this well then keep right on a rotating. It's pretty crazy that the goalie leading the nation in GAA and Sv% sits every other game?? Not a bad problem to have, but it's a bit scary from the sense that with another starting goaltender coming in next year... well there's no way all 3 are going to stick around and spread out playing time that much. But here's hoping.
                    Originally posted by Hokydad
                    Maine will be better this year relative to rankings than BC will be this year

Comment

To much down time this month, we need something to do so here is an idea for everyone who wants
                      something to talk about.

Make up a lineup of your All-Time favorite players. And I mean the ones you loved to watch play at Vermont
                      weather or not they ever made the NHL or even scored many goals. Just those you really liked to see and
                      made you enjoy the game even during down years(we have had a few)

So heres mine,

Goalies
                      1. Soucy
                      2. Draper

Thomas had the numbers but these guys didnt have his teams.

Defense
                      1. Sifers/Miller
                      2. Kloboucek/Palliota
                      3. Macaulay/Mckeil

Forwards
                      1. St Louis/Perrin/LeClair(If he had played 1 year with them he prob scores 40)
                      2. Mitchell/Boyce/McDonough
                      3. Leisenring/McCarthy/Stalburg
                      4. Stelljes/Leddy/Cox(Need a checking line)

Hard to pass on Sharp but he was here only 2 years, last cuts were Lenes, Perreault & Ducharme
                      New Arena New Arena where for art thou New Arena

Comment

• Originally posted by Cat lover View Post
                        To much down time this month, we need something to do so here is an idea for everyone who wants
                        something to talk about.

Make up a lineup of your All-Time favorite players. And I mean the ones you loved to watch play at Vermont
                        weather or not they ever made the NHL or even scored many goals. Just those you really liked to see and
                        made you enjoy the game even during down years(we have had a few)

So heres mine,

Goalies
                        1. Soucy
                        2. Draper

Thomas had the numbers but these guys didnt have his teams.

Defense
                        1. Sifers/Miller
                        2. Kloboucek/Palliota
                        3. Macaulay/Mckeil

Forwards
                        1. St Louis/Perrin/LeClair(If he had played 1 year with them he prob scores 40)
                        2. Mitchell/Boyce/McDonough
                        3. Leisenring/McCarthy/Stalburg
                        4. Stelljes/Leddy/Cox(Need a checking line)

Hard to pass on Sharp but he was here only 2 years, last cuts were Lenes, Perreault & Ducharme
                        My team would be the same, except I would add Joe Fallon and delete Draper as I did not get the chance to see much of him.

Charter Member of the Catamount Hockey Bandwagon! GO CATS GO!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                          My team would be the same, except I would add Joe Fallon and delete Draper as I did not get the chance to see much of him.
                          LeClair wasn't that much fun to watch at least for me. Boyce and McDonough were great to watch. I also like watching Dave Brown (scored the OT vs Harvard). Super nice guy off the ice too.

Comment

Jcarter. I have not been on the uml thread yet this season. Have you been over there trash talking them yet? I see they have not been on ours either. New world order?

Comment

The only player I would add who hasn't been named yet is Kevin Foster. I remember him as a really fast skater who had a knack for scoring.

Originally posted by Martin St. Louis Fan View Post
                              Yeah, I loved Joe Fallon as a goalie. Tom Draper was also very, very good at a time when you couldn't say that about the team as a whole. I also knew him a bit personally and he was a really good guy--very quiet and unassuming.

Originally posted by Kdaddy1968 View Post
                              LeClair wasn't that much fun to watch at least for me.
                              Agree on LeClair. He was okay to watch, but definitely didn't dominate games like St. Louis and Perrin. Maybe it was because he never had that dynamic partner like those guys did.

Boyce and McDonough were great to watch.
                              Yes, two of my all-time favorites and sort of a precursor to MSL and Perrin. Both had a relentlessness, tenacity and knack for scoring that hasn't been seen much at UVM before or since.

I also like watching Dave Brown (scored the OT vs Harvard). Super nice guy off the ice too.
                              I was at that game and it's still probably the most memorable hockey game I've ever seen. There were a bunch of UVM fans in the Garden that night and it was electric when the Cats made their late comeback against #1 Harvard. The place was going bananas when Brownie scored! Wasn't that like his only goal of the season or something? And wasn't he from Massachusetts? Must have been a special moment for him I'm sure.

Comment

I too was at that game against Havard. I have a picture of Johnny sitting in the stands watching the game. Jeff Schulman scored the first goal basically on a dump from the point when he was changing up. The Brownie (who I became great friends with scored the winner in OT). Harvard with Kevin Sneddon went on to win the national championship that year. At least that is how I remember it all.

Tommy Draper was a great goalie - off the ice you would think we was a professor or something, glasses and very clam nad a good speaker. (BTW Jeff Schulman is a gret speaker tooo -very entertaining).

McDonough and Boyce were so much fun to watch, similar to Marty and Eric.

There have been so many really great peopel that have been in our program. Jamie Sifers is one of my all time favorites - a truly nice guy a hard worker and a good team leader. I had hoped is NHL career would have been better for him.

I also think Jake Fallon is one of the best players I've seen who has great vision, can pass the puck like no other and enjoys playing and has fun doing it. I'm glad he is shooting more, i wished we had him for 4 years.

Also Torrey Mitchell and Partrick Sharpe are two really nice guys too.

We have been blessed to have so many nice people come through our program.

Originally posted by UVM Cat in Texas View Post
                                The only player I would add who hasn't been named yet is Kevin Foster. I remember him as a really fast skater who had a knack for scoring.

Yeah, I loved Joe Fallon as a goalie. Tom Draper was also very, very good at a time when you couldn't say that about the team as a whole. I also knew him a bit personally and he was a really good guy--very quiet and unassuming.

Agree on LeClair. He was okay to watch, but definitely didn't dominate games like St. Louis and Perrin. Maybe it was because he never had that dynamic partner like those guys did.

Yes, two of my all-time favorites and sort of a precursor to MSL and Perrin. Both had a relentlessness, tenacity and knack for scoring that hasn't been seen much at UVM before or since.

I was at that game and it's still probably the most memorable hockey game I've ever seen. There were a bunch of UVM fans in the Garden that night and it was electric when the Cats made their late comeback against #1 Harvard. The place was going bananas when Brownie scored! Wasn't that like his only goal of the season or something? And wasn't he from Massachusetts? Must have been a special moment for him I'm sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X