Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

State University of New York Athletic Conference Hockey 2014-2015.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State University of New York Athletic Conference Hockey 2014-2015.

Geneseo Pre-Season Breakdown:

Predicted Record:
    SUNYAC - (12-2-3- 27PTS) Overall 19-3-3

Despite losing Senior leader Zachary Vit (career numbers: 109 games played, 50 Goals 76 Assists, 126 Points) and role forward Jonathan Sucese (career numbers: 66 games played, 11 Goals 13 Assists, 24 Points), the Ice Knights bring back their core which led them to the frozen four in the 2013-2014 campaign.

Upfront the Knights, return Seniors Tyler Brickler (18 goals 14 assists 32 points), Justin Scharfe (11 goals 20 assists 31 points), and Ryan Stanmir (11 goals 16 assists 27 points), Junior David Ripple (9 goals 15 assists 24 points) and Sophomores Stephan Collins (13 goals 11 assists 24 points), Jack Ceglarski (4 goals 16 assists 20 points) and Connor Anthoine (2 goals 10 assists 12 points) that will be complemented by highly touted newcomers, Trevor Hills, Division 1 transfer from St. Lawrence University and Freshman Jason Stephanik (Sioux Falls Stampede- USHL).

On the back-end the Ice Knights return all top six defensemen highlighted by All-SUNYAC selection Jack Caradonna (3 goals 17 assists 20 points) and Derek Stahl who had a outstanding rookie campaign (7 assists). The Ice Knights also return net-minders Nick Horrigan and Bryan Haude which proved to be a dynamic duo throughout the season.

Geneseo is going to be one of the strongest (if not the strongest) SUNYAC team this year. Although they took a hit when losing All-American Forward Zach Vit, they reloaded with a couple forwards that can fill the void. Look for Geneseo to make another National Championship run, last year they were a bit of a surprise, making it to the final four, but this year everyone will be nipping' at the heals of the Ice Knights.

Pre-Season Depth Chart:

Forwards:

Collins - Brickler - Stanmir
    Ripple - Hills - Anthoine
    Scharfe - Ceglarski - Stephanik
    Martin - Condon - Sgaraglio

Defense:

Caradonna - Stahl
    Hutchinson - Brown
    Solomon - Hampson

Goalies:

Horrigan
    Haude
    Leon

Re: State University of New York Athletic Conference Hockey 2014-2015.

Originally posted by SUNYACWRITERS View Post
    Geneseo Pre-Season Breakdown:

Geneseo is going to be one of the strongest (if not the strongest) SUNYAC team this year. Although they took a hit when losing All-American Forward Zach Vit, they reloaded with a couple forwards that can fill the void. Look for Geneseo to make another National Championship run, last year they were a bit of a surprise, making it to the final four, but this year everyone will be nipping' at the heals of the Ice Knights.
    Uh, OK....so is this a SUNYAC thread or a Geneseo thread... #Bias
    A collection of home team write-ups perhaps?
    LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

To balance things out, there was a preexisting SUNYAC offseason thread where I gave my picks for the season. I have since revised my picks a little.
      1) Oswego: As I said last summer, Oswego has all its major pieces back, including Kenny Neil who's at 100 percent. The defensive depth is unreal and as far as frosh go, Alex D'Oliveira, Trent Durocher, David Ferreira, and Mitch Herlihey should have big roles. The consensus down the stretch as Oswego made their Cinderella run was that Ed Gosek is building another good team and the Lakers' dedication to playing well on both sides of the puck is instrumental to their success. When this team gels, watch out!
      2) Geneseo: As the first post says, Geneseo had a high-powered offense, and even without Vit they look like they'll be a factor in tournament play. Collins, Brickler, Scharfe, and Stanimir are all back and the Knights play well on both sides of the puck. As we learned in the SUNYAC final this team is always a tough out and this year should be no exception.
      3) Plattsburgh: At the beginning of last year, the Cardinals had the same expectations they have every year but then fell at home to Oswego twice when it counted. With Oswego and Geneseo presumed to be a very tough draw, and with Plattsburgh having two major competitors to the west, the pressure may be off, and never, ever underestimate a team led by Emery and the core they have there, including Fox, Constantine, Brenton, Emmerling, Gorman, Baleshta and Co.
      4) Brockport: This team is on the rise. The Eagles, led by Nieuwendyk, Luker, Taylor, Marinac and Polino, have really stepped their game up, and after 3 straight playoff absences they finally got to taste the playoffs, even upsetting Oswego in the process. Brockport has shown that maybe they do have what it takes to go to the playoffs.
      5) Fredonia: The Blue Devils are a young team and led by one of, if not the, longest-tenured coaches in the SUNYAC. Meredith is a proven winner that has a team that plays disciplined hockey year-round and retains scorers like Castriota and Wynia.
      6) Potsdam: The Bears may be in the second year of their renovated rink but a sophomore slump isn't likely. Having Pascalli, Ware, and Cope back should help out Potsdam in their quest to make the SUNYACs again. The offense is there and they have been known to push powers like Oswego, Geneseo, and Plattsburgh to play at their competitive best. So that influences the pick to place Potsdam in the 6 spot.
      7) Buffalo State: Pryce and Turgeon are back, and they should give teams a run for the money. But to be really honest, the goaltending scenario at Buffalo State is a major question mark that plagues the Bengals in the preseason. Maybe it will resolve as the season goes on, and while the offense is good, Kevin Carr's absence is a big one.
      8) Morrisville: A young Mustangs team that includes Santino, Young and Doyle is only getting better but the SUNYAC is a tough league. Moville will take its lumps, but they are a rising team who could pull an upset off here or there.
      9) Cortland: A recruiting class and a new coach seem to be moving C-State in the right direction, but the Red Dragons have a similar predicament with the goaltending, and while Nick Zappia is a bright spot Cortland just does not really have the star power that an Oswego, Plattsburgh, or Geneseo does.

Here's my new predictions. Feel free to make any comments or predictions of your own.

Comment

Pretty much spot on Danny. A few things I look forward to.

1. Oswego has talent, but won because of the "team" aspect. Will there be a sophomore slump?
        2. The feeling outside of Geneseo was Plattsburgh and Oswego were the better teams and a blown no goal in Buffalo was a major factor in Geneseo grabbing the #1 seed. Some good returners but Vit will hurt. (See #3)
        3. Jensen (s) and Chewy, gone. Who will pick up that go to guy and fill Jensen's skates? Will the D1 goaltender duo pick up where Chewy left off? Can the defense solidify and erase the mistakes Chewy covered up a lot?
        4. Brockport has taken a step forward, dont step back.
        5. Fredonia will battle for 4th.
        6. Potsdam needs a good recruiting class and consistency in goaltending.
        7. Buff St, life is a highway especially when you dont have a Carr....
        8. Morrisville, save a horse ride a mustang.
        9. Cortland, same ole song and dance

The SUNYAC has "potentially" THREE National Contenders and a solid 4/5 group. One of the deepest SUNYAC leagues in years.
        Remy Babineaux
        remyb616@gmail.com
        D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by DanyDOSU2015 View Post
          To balance things out, there was a preexisting SUNYAC offseason thread where I gave my picks for the season. I have since revised my picks a little.
          1) Oswego: As I said last summer, Oswego has all its major pieces back, including Kenny Neil who's at 100 percent. The defensive depth is unreal and as far as frosh go, Alex D'Oliveira, Trent Durocher, David Ferreira, and Mitch Herlihey should have big roles. The consensus down the stretch as Oswego made their Cinderella run was that Ed Gosek is building another good team and the Lakers' dedication to playing well on both sides of the puck is instrumental to their success. When this team gels, watch out!
          2) Geneseo: As the first post says, Geneseo had a high-powered offense, and even without Vit they look like they'll be a factor in tournament play. Collins, Brickler, Scharfe, and Stanimir are all back and the Knights play well on both sides of the puck. As we learned in the SUNYAC final this team is always a tough out and this year should be no exception.
          3) Plattsburgh: At the beginning of last year, the Cardinals had the same expectations they have every year but then fell at home to Oswego twice when it counted. With Oswego and Geneseo presumed to be a very tough draw, and with Plattsburgh having two major competitors to the west, the pressure may be off, and never, ever underestimate a team led by Emery and the core they have there, including Fox, Constantine, Brenton, Emmerling, Gorman, Baleshta and Co.
          4) Brockport: This team is on the rise. The Eagles, led by Nieuwendyk, Luker, Taylor, Marinac and Polino, have really stepped their game up, and after 3 straight playoff absences they finally got to taste the playoffs, even upsetting Oswego in the process. Brockport has shown that maybe they do have what it takes to go to the playoffs.
          5) Fredonia: The Blue Devils are a young team and led by one of, if not the, longest-tenured coaches in the SUNYAC. Meredith is a proven winner that has a team that plays disciplined hockey year-round and retains scorers like Castriota and Wynia.
          6) Potsdam: The Bears may be in the second year of their renovated rink but a sophomore slump isn't likely. Having Pascalli, Ware, and Cope back should help out Potsdam in their quest to make the SUNYACs again. The offense is there and they have been known to push powers like Oswego, Geneseo, and Plattsburgh to play at their competitive best. So that influences the pick to place Potsdam in the 6 spot.
          7) Buffalo State: Pryce and Turgeon are back, and they should give teams a run for the money. But to be really honest, the goaltending scenario at Buffalo State is a major question mark that plagues the Bengals in the preseason. Maybe it will resolve as the season goes on, and while the offense is good, Kevin Carr's absence is a big one.
          8) Morrisville: A young Mustangs team that includes Santino, Young and Doyle is only getting better but the SUNYAC is a tough league. Moville will take its lumps, but they are a rising team who could pull an upset off here or there.
          9) Cortland: A recruiting class and a new coach seem to be moving C-State in the right direction, but the Red Dragons have a similar predicament with the goaltending, and while Nick Zappia is a bright spot Cortland just does not really have the star power that an Oswego, Plattsburgh, or Geneseo does.

Here's my new predictions. Feel free to make any comments or predictions of your own.
          Cortland picked up an excellent goaltender Jones who has years of junior experience. They will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeyfirst View Post
            Cortland picked up an excellent goaltender Jones who has years of junior experience. They will be fine.
            Yea....okay....
            Remy Babineaux
            remyb616@gmail.com
            D3FHL Web Page

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

1. Oswego has talent, but won because of the "team" aspect. Will there be a sophomore slump?
              2. The feeling outside of Geneseo was Plattsburgh and Oswego were the better teams and a blown no goal in Buffalo was a major factor in Geneseo grabbing the #1 seed. Some good returners but Vit will hurt. (See #3)
              3. Jensen (s) and Chewy, gone. Who will pick up that go to guy and fill Jensen's skates? Will the D1 goaltender duo pick up where Chewy left off? Can the defense solidify and erase the mistakes Chewy covered up a lot?

The SUNYAC has "potentially" THREE National Contenders and a solid 4/5 group. One of the deepest SUNYAC leagues in years.
              To answer your questions:
              1) Oswego has talent and plays well as a team, yes, and without jinxing anything this core of guys can do some damage. Down the stretch they showed a lot of hunger and they ought to keep that "team" aspect intact.
              2) Maybe Geneseo did get lucky when it came to winning the league, or maybe they were just that good. Again, Vit, the league MVP is gone, but they'll have their core back.
              3) Bob Emery will be getting right to work in patching up the holes that Plattsburgh leaves open. Goalie battle will be fascinating and defense is what Bob is all about, so they'll be playing hungry.
              4) Brockport's good and getting better.
              5) Fredonia is always a factor in the SUNYAC playoffs, so yeah, they will battle for 4th.
              6) I agree, Potsdam does need to work on the goalie predicament and is one recruiting class away from being a major player.
              7) Kevin Carr's absence will totally hurt Buff State.
              8) Morrisville is young and talented but they play in a tough league.
              9) Cortland may have a recruiting class and a new coach but I just don't see them making the playoffs.

Comment

3 very good teams at the top of the SUNYAC.Genny had a great yr last yr and I dont think Vit will be missed much as they brought in a very solid class,a few D1 transfers and another who was at Quinnapiac but wound up at Genny ,solid for sure....Oswego has a few recruits who have D1experience and a few others who look like they will challenge for spots,I think we will see a 3way battle between the pipes in Oz I have a feeling the new netminder will battle for the #1 spot,we will probably see all 3 vs the U-18 on the 25th...Platty lost some top players but they have plenty to fill in the blanks,it will also be interesting to see 2 D1,Colgate and Quinny goalies battling it out for the #1 spot,not sure how their recruiting class is,they did bring in a D1 trasnfer as well but he will be a senior this yr.As for the rest Bport and Freddy should be tough games, and the others will be tough games if taken to lightly......the biggest thing that jumps out is Buff St with ZERO experience btwn the pipes unless they brought on a transfer..

Comment

Originally posted by PSUChamps2001 View Post

I especially dig the last 2 statements.....and it's time to bring the trophy back east!

Comment

Originally posted by OZFEST View Post
                    I especially dig the last 2 statements.....and it's time to bring the trophy back east!
                    I would not be surprised to see Green and Gold play Green and White for the national title.

However, I don't think the result will change. Next year? THAT could be the year.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      I would not be surprised to see Green and Gold play Green and White for the national title.

However, I don't think the result will change. Next year? THAT could be the year.
                      WOW! Quite the assumption. Maybe but a couple of others may just have something to say about that. We'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Wow! A Brockport vs. Morrisville national final. Bold - I like it!
                        Geneseo Ice Knights Color Commentator 2008 - 2009

Listen to GSU Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by SB in the 'Seo View Post
                          +1
                          LakerEagleLover

I support tuition payments past...

Comment

Originally posted by SB in the 'Seo View Post
                            Bonus point for guessing who would get the Pool C bid..
                            Oswego'08, '10

From the shores of Lake Ontario to the island of Hilton Head...

2011-2012 SUNYAC Pick 'Em Champion!
                            2011-2012 D3FHL Overall Points Champs!

Comment

Brockport:

Predicted finish: 6-10-1 (11 PTS) 10-14-1

Players to Watch:
                              Nieuwendyk (8-16-24), Luker (9-13-22), Taylor (10-11-21), Marinac (5-14-19)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Cangro (7-17-24), Rothfuss (1-8-9)
                              Defense: DeLuca (0-3-3)

NEW ADDITIONS:

F- Dylan Savory (Trenton-OJHL/Niagara-GOJHL)
                              F- David Horan (Conn Wolfpack-EHL)
                              D- Brian Hurlimann (Trenton- OJHL)
                              F- Matt Meredith (New Jersey Titans- EHL)
                              F- Ryan Kangas (Conn Wolfpack-EHL)
                              D- Dillan Walker (St. Catharines GOJHL)
                              F- Dylan Shapiro (Rochester- USPHL-Elite ‘B’)

Pre-Season Depth Chart:

Ryan - Nieuwendyk - Taylor
                              Cavalieri - Parks - Marinac
                              Shapiro (fy) - Polino - Facchini
                              DeFazio - Pelligra - Savory (fy)

Luker - Hall
                              Walker (fy) - Chayka
                              Cummings - Hurlimann (fy)

Lockhurst
                              Green
                              Winsor

Buffalo State:

Predicted Finish: 5-8-2 (12 PTS) 9-11-5

Players to Watch:
                              Pryce (6-15-21), Berst (8-4-12, Kramer (5-5-10)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Turgeon (12-15-27), Zannella (7-15-22), Avery (4-5-9)
                              Goaltending: Kevin Carr (.929 SV% - 2.5745 GAA)

NEW ADDITIONS:
                              F- Ryan Hunter (Trenton/Mississauga- OJHL)
                              D- Zach Stein (Conn. Wolfpack- EHL)
                              D- Garrett Chardon (Boston Rangers- EHL)
                              F- Zach Nieminen (Ancaster Avalanche - GOJHL)
                              G- Ian Sylves ( Buffalo Regals - GOJHL)
                              D- Marcus Michalski (Niagara Falls Canucks - GOJHL)
                              F- Ryan Demyen (North Bay Trappers - NOJHL)
                              D- Brody Prower (North York Rangers - OJHL)

Pre-Season Depth Chart:

Hope - Rosen - Gurski
                              Pryce - Salkeld - Rossi
                              Berst - Hunter (fy) - Nieminen (fy)
                              Roy - Demyen (fy) Beaumont

Lapierre - Kramer
                              Prower (fy) - Graham
                              Hrivnak - Michalski (fy)

DeLaVergne
                              Dudek
                              Sylves (fy)

Cortland:

Predicted Finish: 3-10-2 (8PTS) 7-16-2

Players to Watch:
                              Zappia (11-17-28), Sherwood (5-7-12), Wagner (3-8-11), Davie (5-6-11)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Bevilacqua (10-10-20), Henrici (7-11-18), Moyer (7-10-17)
                              Defense: Nardi (3-7-10)
                              Goaltending: Balkwill (.891 SV% - 4.1588 GAA) Rocker (.894 SV% - 4.2907 GAA)

NEW ADDITIONS:
                              D- Cory Lauer (Toronto Lakeshore-OJHL)
                              F- Andrew McCann (Wellington/Trenton- OJHL)
                              F- Tom Nolan (Conn. Oilers- EHL)
                              F- Darren McCormick Jr. (Buffalo Jr. Sabres- OJHL)
                              D- Drazen Zack (Conn. Oilers- EHL)
                              D- Brendan Pascarella (Conn. Wolfpack- EHL)
                              G- Kollyn Jones (P.A.L Islanders/New Jersey- USPHL)
                              F- Dan Broderick (P.A.L Islanders/CT Yankees- USPHL)
                              G- Drew Weigman (Cyclones-EHL/Brookings-NAHL)

Pre- Season Depth Chart:

Zappia- Davie - Sherwood
                              Garrison - Pinsler - Esposito
                              Mascaro - McCann (fy) - Broderick (fy)
                              McCormick (fy)- Sullivan - Nolan (fy)

Wagner - Herring
                              Antonik - Vanzant
                              Lauer (fy) - Diorio

Staversky
                              Jones (fy)
                              Weigman (fy)

Fredonia:

Predicted Finish 3-6-6 (12PTS) 8-8-9

Players to Watch:
                              Castriota (10-10-20), Wynia (11-5-16), Wilkinson (1-12-13), Long (3-9-12), Fernley (3-8-11)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Perkins (7-9-16), Owczarczak (3-11-14)

NEW ADDITIONS:
                              D-Jamie Young- (Walpole- EHL)
                              F- Matt Cessna- (Wilkes-Barre- EHL)
                              D- Oskar Gerhardsson (Wilkes Barre- EHL)

Pre-Season Depth Chart:

McAvoy - Bourne - Long
                              Wynia - Doust - Castriota
                              Hart - Forslund - Fernley
                              Moore - Bennett - Defeo

Wilkinson - Kaufmann
                              Melkert - White
                              Trebes - Gottschalk

Flagler
                              Eiserman

Morrisville:

Predicted Finish: 2-9-4-(8PTS) 5-14-6

Players to Watch:
                              Young (6-16-22), Doyle (15-6-21), Carvalho (8-12-20), Chaput (3-17-20)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Goaltending: Azzano (.860 SV% - 5.2668 GAA)

NEW ADDITIONS:
                              D- Max Sund ( Richmond Generals - MetJHL)
                              F- Brad Holman (Elliot Lake Bobcats- NOJHL)
                              G- Steven Dombrosky (Pickering Panthers - OJHL)

Pre-Season Depth Chart:

Santino- Carvalho - Doyle
                              Bayer- Young - Molinaro
                              Beer - Geertz - Baker
                              Lewis - Rogers- Dol

Ftoma - Avery
                              Chaput - Huizenga
                              Scherer - Fletcher

Rasmussen
                              McMcichael
                              Dombrosky (fy)

Oswego:

Predicted Finish: 12-3-1 (25PTS) 19-4-2

Players to Watch:
                              Galati (24-12-36), Botten (10-24-34), Montagna (12-18-30), Gertsakis (1-26-27), Neil (11-15-26), Rivait (3-20-23), Hulshof (10-10-20), Adams (10-6-16), Johnson (4-8-12) Zawadzki (.922 SV% - 2.1556 GAA)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Titanic (9-8-17)

NEW ADDITIONS:
                              F- Dave Ferreira (New Jersey- USPHL)
                              F- Mitch Herlihey (Nepean- CCHL)
                              F- Trent Durocher (Pembroke/Hawkesbury- CCHL)
                              D- Alex D'Oliveira (Cobourg- OJHL)

Depth Chart:

Carr - Botten - Galati
                              Neil - Montagna - Hulshof
                              Timpano - Barton - Adams
                              Bonner - Waterstreet - Yorke

Johnson - Gertsakis
                              King - Rivait
                              Raguseo - Scott

Zadwadzki
                              Gilbert
                              Jasmin

Plattsburgh:

Predicted Finish: 13-2-0 (26PTS) 20-4-1

Players to Watch:
                              Fox (9-15-24), Constantine (9-11-20), Emmerling (6-13-19), Gorman (7-8-15), Baleshta (3-12-15), Brenton (12-2-14), Calabrese (1-12-13), Cassidy (5-9-14), Radisa (7-7-14)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: A. Jensen (13-16-29), Farnan (4-4-8)
                              Defense: N. Jensen (2-9-11), Roytman (5-9-14)
                              Goaltending: Cadieux (.935 SV% - 1.6454 GAA)

NEWCOMERS:
                              G- Ryan Hubbard (Boston Bandits- EHL)
                              F- Brandon O'Quinn (Kingston- OJHL)
                              D- Bryan Dallaire (Cyclones- EHL)
                              D- Ayrton Valente (Mississauga Chargers- OJHL)
                              F- Connor Toomey (Merrimack College- NCAA)
                              D- Andrew Rossy (Cumberland Grads- CCHL)
                              D- Chriss Taff (Odessa Jackalopes - NAHL)
                              F- Paul Fregeau (Des Moines Buccaneers- USHL)
                              F- Matt Quilty (Caledonia - GOJHL)
                              G- Brady Rouleau (Quinnipiac University - NCAA)

Depth Chart:

Cassidy - Radisa - Constantine
                              Baleshta - Fox - Toomey (transfer)
                              Brenton - Gorman - Emmerling
                              Fregeau (fy) - Hall - O’Quinn (fy)

Botting - Beadow
                              Taff (fy) - Calabrese
                              Kaye - Hermans

Finney
                              Rouleau
                              Hubbard

Potsdam:

Predicted Finish: 4-8-3 (11PTS) 12-10-3

Players to Watch:
                              Pascalli (10-9-19), Simon (5-9-14), Thomas (3-11-14), Ware (2-11-13), Cope (2-10-12)

KEY LOSSES:
                              Forwards: Arnold (17-6-23), Place (5-15-20)

NEWCOMERS:
                              F- Joesph Gilhooly (NY Bobcats-EHL/Des Moines-USHL)
                              F- Dylan Vander Esch (Conn Wolf- EHL)
                              D- Sean Kacerosky (NY Bobcats- EHL)
                              D- Kyle Thacker (North York Rangers/Orangeville Flyers- OJHL)

Depth Chart:

Simon - Calligiuri - Thompson
                              Gilhooly (fy) - Thomas - Cope
                              Rivera - Pascalli - Telesca
                              Vander Esch (fy) - Miller - Blake

Ware- Campagna 
Fogel - McCamey
                              Thacker (fy) - Casacci

Talarico
                              Keiser

Comment

Working...