Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Quinnipiac 2014-2015 Women's Thread: "Kelly Who?"

Originally posted by PuckRush View Post
    Yes. Horrified. You are completely out of line telling players to "grow up" and "stop whining" when you don't know what the players have endured. You then minimize what they might have experienced by inferring that Seeley is simply a "tough coach". Sorry, but from what I've heard, this change had nothing to do with him being a "tough coach". What you've done in your two posts, is put the blame for this squarely on players, and you should be ashamed (as I am horrified). But I know from reading your posts that you don't even have the capacity to understand your shame. Keep attacking me, but lay off players until you have something specific to accuse them of. Thank you.
    Its a message board. People can and will say what they want. That is the purpose of the message board. Its nice here in that its largely done in a respectful manner. If you are "horrified" by hearing someone's opinion, founded or unfounded, perhaps you should just log out and not participate. I am "horrified" by the continual attempts in this country to browbeat people who have differing or non-PC opinions, into silence. That offends me.

Comment

Yes. Horrified. You are completely out of line telling players to "grow up" and "stop whining" when you don't know what the players have endured. You then minimize what they might have experienced by inferring that Seeley is simply a "tough coach". Sorry, but from what I've heard, this change had nothing to do with him being a "tough coach". What you've done in your two posts, is put the blame for this squarely on players, and you should be ashamed (as I am horrified). But I know from reading your posts that you don't even have the capacity to understand your shame. Keep attacking me, but lay off players until you have something specific to accuse them of. Thank you.
      pretty soon the coaches will have to coach from the goal judge box with a bullhorn...although that may be too loud for the disgruntled players...grow up! this world is changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare. grabbing a jersey? are you serious? had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was.
      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
      maybe you need to read the post again. i'll try to slow down and explain it for you.
      disgruntled players= all players (on any sports team) that think they should be playing more...that think they're not getting a fair shake. or worse, that their parents think they're getting overlooked for some reason other than they aren't as good as the person playing.
      this world= every citizen...US or Foreign...and we can't forget the non-citizens
      Changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare= see MSNBC of CNN daily. can no longer utter specific words as they are offensive. Can't criticize anything a person does or you're a racist, homophobe or worse.

if you see the post above it states "grabbing a jersey? are you serious? had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was."= to be fired for just a tug or grabbing of a jersey is ridiculous but with the way the world is today (see Changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare) my wishful thinking took over and stated "had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was." = I'm begging to know that it was something more than a shirt pull.

now, i have no idea what kind of coach Seeley is or if he had disgruntled players. the post was for every team (every sport) that has disgruntled players. hence the "please tell me it was much worse."

hopefully this helps decipher the post and stops the horrification. i'd hate to know that i was responsible for ruining someone's weekend.

Comment

Amen

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
          Its a message board. People can and will say what they want. That is the purpose of the message board. Its nice here in that its largely done in a respectful manner. If you are "horrified" by hearing someone's opinion, founded or unfounded, perhaps you should just log out and not participate. I am "horrified" by the continual attempts in this country to browbeat people who have differing or non-PC opinions, into silence. That offends me.
          If you're "horrified", then take your own advice and do not participate. But I'm not going anywhere.

Ted Knight is doing the classic "shoot first, ask questions later." There is nothing "respectful" (as you say) about it. Unless you can enlighten us with facts about what happened and why, you can't hide behind the politically correct defense. To be absolutely clear: My post attacks a complete and utter fabrication that is targeted at young adults in college who play hockey, and has nothing to do with attacking a post that expresses a difference of opinion. To repeat, absent the facts, it's a lie and it's hurtful to these young women.

I'm so disgusted that I am now officially a Bobcat fan (which will have to be my 2nd favorite team). I hope these girls have a GREAT 2015-16 season.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Knight View Post
            pretty soon the coaches will have to coach from the goal judge box with a bullhorn...although that may be too loud for the disgruntled players...grow up! this world is changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare. grabbing a jersey? are you serious? had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was.
            __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ __
            maybe you need to read the post again. i'll try to slow down and explain it for you.
            disgruntled players= all players (on any sports team) that think they should be playing more...that think they're not getting a fair shake. or worse, that their parents think they're getting overlooked for some reason other than they aren't as good as the person playing.
            this world= every citizen...US or Foreign...and we can't forget the non-citizens
            Changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare= see MSNBC of CNN daily. can no longer utter specific words as they are offensive. Can't criticize anything a person does or you're a racist, homophobe or worse.

if you see the post above it states "grabbing a jersey? are you serious? had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was."= to be fired for just a tug or grabbing of a jersey is ridiculous but with the way the world is today (see Changing into a whiney, complaining nightmare) my wishful thinking took over and stated "had to be much worse than that...please tell me it was." = I'm begging to know that it was something more than a shirt pull.

now, i have no idea what kind of coach Seeley is or if he had disgruntled players. the post was for every team (every sport) that has disgruntled players. hence the "please tell me it was much worse."

hopefully this helps decipher the post and stops the horrification. i'd hate to know that i was responsible for ruining someone's weekend.
            Well Ted, thank you for almost apologizing. In other words, your point about whiny players has no relevance to this particular discussion. It's about all college athletes in every sport. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

If you're "horrified", then take your own advice and do not participate. But I'm not going anywhere.

Ted Knight is doing the classic "shoot first, ask questions later." There is nothing "respectful" (as you say) about it. Unless you can enlighten us with facts about what happened and why, you can't hide behind the politically correct defense. To be absolutely clear: My post attacks a complete and utter fabrication that is targeted at young adults in college who play hockey, and has nothing to do with attacking a post that expresses a difference of opinion. To repeat, absent the facts, it's a lie and it's hurtful to these young women.I'm so disgusted that I am now officially a Bobcat fan (which will have to be my 2nd favorite team). I hope these girls have a GREAT 2015-16 season.
              How can it be a lie if there is an absence of facts? You would have to prove his statement false to be a lie which requires facts. If you have them, please share.
              How do you know "its hurtful to these young women?" Have you spoken with them? If you have please let us know. Tell us the facts. Do these successful college hockey players care what Ted Knight says? Are they so sensitive that some poster on a message board giving his opinion hurts their feelings? Boo hoo. Or are you just inserting your own overly sensitive sensibility into what you think they are (or what you think they should be feeling). Ted Knight is certainly capable of defending himself but your "disgust" is so contrived and ridiculous that it shouldn't pass uncommented upon.

Comment

How can it be a lie if there is an absence of facts? You would have to prove his statement false to be a lie which requires facts. If you have them, please share.
                How do you know "its hurtful to these young women?" Have you spoken with them? If you have please let us know. Tell us the facts. Do these successful college hockey players care what Ted Knight says? Are they so sensitive that some poster on a message board giving his opinion hurts their feelings? Boo hoo. Or are you just inserting your own overly sensitive sensibility into what you think they are (or what you think they should be feeling). Ted Knight is certainly capable of defending himself but your "disgust" is so contrived and ridiculous that it shouldn't pass uncommented upon.
                If the resignation was forced because players were whining about a "tough coach" and/or being disgruntled about playing time, then you and Ted are correct. Otherwise, it's a false and a baseless accusation. I guess time will tell which it is.

Comment

Completely agree. People are entitled to make comments and have opinions. I take with a grain of salt what is posted on this or any other forum. It is no different than a discussion at a bar on a Friday night. There will always be a difference of opinion and although sometimes frustrating, taking offense just feeds the beast. It is easier to smile than it is to frown!

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                    Completely agree. People are entitled to make comments and have opinions. I take with a grain of salt what is posted on this or any other forum. It is no different than a discussion at a bar on a Friday night. There will always be a difference of opinion and although sometimes frustrating, taking offense just feeds the beast. It is easier to smile than it is to frown!

not if you're used to frowning. hehehe

Comment

Originally posted by Trillium View Post
                      I would agree. It is the hard-*****ed "old school" kind of coaching that is thankfully becoming less tolerated by both players and administrators as societal values and expectations begin to change. This certainly does not exclude long-time female coaches, not all of whom have yet to either change or be relieved of their responsibilities.

I can't say I'm surprised at all about Seeley leaving, though certainly not due to alleged physical abuse. Negative stories out of most of the programs now or previously "in the news" (and some yet to be addressed) have been reasonably common knowledge in the playing community long before any coaching changes were ultimately announced. Ironically, this one immediately follows the team's most successful season in history. The sad fact is that such behaviours tend to be overlooked much, much longer on teams with performance success.

I find it telling that the definition of good coaches among many posters on this board relates only, or mostly, on championships and win record, as if this is some sort of professional sport, and success on the ice is the be all, end all or even #1 aspect of these girls' entire experience in college. If that's the case, these girls will not be very successful in life once hockey is over. Hopefully, their athletic experience gives them positive role models, work ethic, time management, confidence, teamwork, communication and leadership skills among others, to enhance all their achievements on and off the ice, in college and beyond.

Several outsiders have commented that the decision on the new coach at Brown reflects a lack of caring about women's hockey, and that there were several more deserving candidates....presumably based on the availability of individuals with a winning track record elsewhere. Yet I have heard from several people with inside knowledge that the new Brown coach is in fact an inspired choice--someone with not only a long track record of leadership success at Brown as well as a deep playing history, but first and foremost someone who is loved, admired and respected by those who have come through the program, and who is a great communicator and people person. Maybe more programs should be putting more emphasis on such qualities. Many coaches who would have been available to Brown come with the kind of baggage that would not be appropriate in this situation to say the least.

I find it sad that for many athletes, and probably more often in programs considered among the most successful (and perceived to be "well-coached"!), their playing experiences are among the most negative aspect of their college experience, with their coaches among the worst possible role models for how to conduct yourself as a leader/manager in the workplace, or in any way a motivator of people, performance, or personal development. Not too long ago, I was told of a gathering of many player alums from one high profile esteemed program. Despite a mix of former national team players with impressive NCAA team and individual accomplishments as well as a few "lesser lights", and various vintages from recent grads to 10+ years--most of whom had never been on that same team at the same time, they all had one thing in common beyond their team affiliation: not one looked backed on their playing days under their coach as a positive part of their college experience at all. A winning record at the expense of respect, admiration and developer of people? Each to his own.

From a long-term perspective, perhaps some of the middle-of-the-pack programs are actually the most successful for their respective schools and athletes.
                      Trillium. Fantastic post. I'm with you, in that the most important skill set a coach has is the ability to effectively communicate to an audience. That means both one on one with players, to the whole team and to prospective recruits. The ability to adapt your message based on situation/audience is of the utmost importance. IMHO One of the most important aspects of coaching players at the varsity college level is to prepare them for success in life. This means the ability to deal with both success and failure. It is easy to get caught up in the "the measure of success is a good win loss record". There are many other measures of success. As a matter of fact, if you have a win at all cost approach, and end up with players who do not how to deal with disappointment and failure, then you may have failed as an educator.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMAA View Post
                        Trillium. Fantastic post. I'm with you, in that the most important skill set a coach has is the ability to effectively communicate to an audience. That means both one on one with players, to the whole team and to prospective recruits. The ability to adapt your message based on situation/audience is of the utmost importance. IMHO One of the most important aspects of coaching players at the varsity college level is to prepare them for success in life. This means the ability to deal with both success and failure. It is easy to get caught up in the "the measure of success is a good win loss record". There are many other measures of success. As a matter of fact, if you have a win at all cost approach, and end up with players who do not how to deal with disappointment and failure, then you may have failed as an educator.
                        OnMaa - I would agree with you however would doubt that any coach at this level is measured on how well a student athlete does when she enters the real world. Program success is quite likely the key driver for most of these coaches. That doesn't mean that you have to be an a-hole to succeed as many are successful and doing a great job with the girls on and off the ice. It's a balancing act

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                          It is easier to smile than it is to frown!
                          Um, that's not exactly correct. Scientists have studied the muscles needed for both facial expressions, and to do a small smile generally uses 10 muscles; a small frown uses 6. On average, a smile uses 12 and a frown 11.

Comment

check this new story on rick seeley abusing clarkson players, crazy http://q30television.com/2015/04/14/...eley-of-abuse/

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                              Um, that's not exactly correct. Scientists have studied the muscles needed for both facial expressions, and to do a small smile generally uses 10 muscles; a small frown uses 6. On average, a smile uses 12 and a frown 11.
                              Tough crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by bigcat27 View Post
                                check this new story on rick seeley abusing clarkson players, crazy http://q30television.com/2015/04/14/...eley-of-abuse/
                                Wow. I have to say it's very difficult knowing there are total a-holes like him and the OSU guy that seem to last so long in college coaching when there are so many other good people in coaching that don't seem to land these jobs because winning isn't the most important thing to them. I think I'd prefer to play for a coach that cares more about the players and teaching them life lessons on and off the ice and maybe doesn't win as many games than a coach that feels he/she has to win at all costs.

Comment

Working...
                                X