Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Dean Blais says UNO is close to contending:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/blais-belie...c2bdc73ce.html

Note that he is no longer saying in what year. And, probably not this year with 11 freshman, and, oh, let us not forget that Ryan Massa is still the goaltender.

He is definitely right about the arena situation.

UNO was shutout, 4-0 tonight, by the Northern Alberta Institute of Technology Ooks. Played out in front of a teeming throng of 3,512.

For inquiring minds--an "ook" is a bird. Specifically, its the Inuktitut word for "Snowy Owl".

FYI, Blais sat all the upperclassman for this game. They didn't play a single minute of it.

Onward and upward to the Purple Cows this upcoming weekend, which might be a tad embarrassing when the opposing team's head coach gets bigger cheers than our own, here at home, during the pregame intros, which will occur right before we get pounded.

Can we at least get through a season without kicking the most important players off the team during the season for one reason or another and maybe not have any players go pro during the season as well? Is that too much to ask?

With all these freshman with no sea legs, one hopes that we can be a better team in the 2nd half than we probably will be in the first. Our pretty tough first half schedule, with all these new faces, is going to be challenging.

Re: UNO '14 -'15 season thread. Will the sleeper awaken?

Originally posted by Red Cows View Post
    FYI, Blais sat all the upperclassman for this game. They didn't play a single minute of it.
    Um... what?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
      Um... what?
      Full confession. I actually did not attend tonight's game due to a business commitment. I was TOLD by someone that WAS there that no upperclassman played but I have now seen the actual box score and I now know this isn't true. And, I also saw a Twitter post on Mavpuck that said the same thing.

Senior Ryan Massa played the first period. And, Polk, Lane, and Pearce all saw at least some ice time. How much, I don't know. None of the rest of the upperclassmen played, though.

Senior transfer from Vermont, Kyle Mountain, also saw some ice time. However, he did not play a single game at Vermont last season and didn't play much the two seasons before that. He is also unlikely to play very much here, either, and will probably be a scratch most nights.
      Last edited by Red Cows; 10-06-2014, 11:31 PM.

Comment

Onward and upward to the Purple Cows this upcoming weekend, which might be a tad embarrassing when the opposing team's head coach gets bigger cheers than our own, here at home, during the pregame intros, which will occur right before we get pounded.

Can we at least get through a season without kicking the most important players off the team during the season for one reason or another and maybe not have any players go pro during the season as well? Is that too much to ask?

With all these freshman with no sea legs, one hopes that we can be a better team in the 2nd half than we probably will be in the first. Our pretty tough first half schedule, with all these new faces, is going to be challenging.
        All right, enough of the lowering expectations of your own team. You've been hanging around UND people for too long. I saw too many of these guys play in the USHL to think this is a bad team. Jake Guentzel is as good as any sophomore in the country, and if Blais has lost a step, he's still at least a step ahead of most coaches. Do I think Kato should be favored? Sure, but it's not like we'll be playing Trinity Western again.

Comment

You also have the two best seniors in MN HS hockey last year.

Comment

For Red Mavs who want them..

Lines for tonight's season opener! LET'S GO MSU!

21 Grant - 18 Leitner - 9 Gervais
            25 Stepan - 23 Blueger - 17 Huntebrinker
            12 LaFontaine - 26 Margonari - 19 McClure
            15 Franklin - 16 J. Nelson - 8 Gaede

7 Palmquist - 3 Thompson
            21 Stern - 5 Foguth
            11 Flanagan - 6 C. Nelson

34 Huggins
            35 Williams

Scratches: Knowles, Schmeisser, Knutson, A. Nelson, and Buchanan
            AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

You also have the two best seniors in MN HS hockey last year.
              That didn't stop Gopher fans from sort of denigrating those guys because "really good players aren't around long enough in high school to be truly "great" senior HS players. Those guys move on to juniors".

Supposedly our guys are the best of who stuck around and aren't really "all that".
              Last edited by Red Cows; 10-11-2014, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Supposedly our guys at the best of who stuck around and aren't really "all that".
                Maybe they weren't the best HS seniors from MN last year. Hard to say. But I'd love to see someone who said Snuggerud and to a lesser extent Peterson aren't **** good.

Comment

Maybe they weren't the best HS seniors from MN last year. Hard to say. But I'd love to see someone who said Snuggerud and to a lesser extent Peterson aren't **** good.
                  I thought Snuggerud was outstanding last night

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                    Snuggerud was phenomenal at the State Tournament too.
                    AF 99

M-A-V-E-R-I-C-K-S, MAVERICKS, MAVERICKS, GOOOOO STATE!

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                      True confession time.

I did not go to either MSM game. I gave my tickets away for both games.

I grew up in Kansas City and there was no way I was missing Royals ALCS games for a UNO hockey game and both of UNO's games overlapped the first two playoff games. I love UNO hockey, but, I love the Royals more.

Shame on me, I guess.

Comment

So far, we've been better than I expected. In fact, its bordered on eye opening. Of all the freshman, Luc Snuggerrud, in particular, has stood out. Guentzel and Ortega have been stupendous so far, too. 1st and 2nd, nationally, in scoring so far (I know its early). The way the scoring has been spread out in these games so far, we look more balanced, too. 3 games and 9 different guys have already scored goals. 5 goals last night from 5 different guys.

I am trying to remember the last time we ever scored shorthanded in a 4 on 3 situation, as we did last night. That is a rare one, indeed. And, odd for UNO in that last night's game we were outshot (by quite a bit) but won pretty handily (or, should I say for a Dean Blais coached team).

Would be great to get another one tonight. Every conference point is going to be huge in this league.

Comment

UNO picks up 2 new recruits, Zach Court and Freddy Olofsson:

https://***********/ZachCourt/status/521853942964035584

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/coll...nebraska-omaha

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/sho...rer_id=1348814

Olofsson, next season. Court, the season after.
                          Last edited by Red Cows; 10-18-2014, 12:01 PM.

Comment

Let's see.

Conference road sweep?

Check.

End weekend in style with shut-out?

Check.

Have the NCAA's one-two scorers?

Check.

In the conference lead (well, tied)?

Check.

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Comment

For better or worse, here is what UNO takes the ice to at this season's home games, our last one at the Clink:

http://vimeo.com/109281078

Comment

Working...
                              X