Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Originally posted by MinniQUFan View Post
    What a bittersweet announcement. Great for Jack but after everything he's done for QU, he will be hard to replace. Don't know if retirement will send him far from Quinnipiac, but it'll be strange not seeing him around the rink. I can personally say, from my interactions, one of the nicest guys at QU.
    Yeah, I too haven't been super present posting on the board but I do read what you chaps are writing daily. Jack will sorely be missed. But he did his job. He had a goal of putting this team and this university on the map and he did that in a tremendous way. Jack is one of those old school program guys. He is always front and center as one of the fans. With a beautiful, luxurious President's Club, or whatever they call it, perched high over the playing surface, Jack still makes a point to sit with the fans, not far from us, in the back row near center ice donning his muted yellow sweater vest and gigantic camera. That's cool and it's rare. He probably doesn't know my name, but you better believe a game doesn't go by that he doesn't say hello when passing, knowing a diehard familiar face when he sees it. Something in the future will be named after him but I'm tossing out the suggestion that when the High Point Solutions contract runs out, the ice rink is named after him similarly to how the basketball court is named for Murray Lender. He's meant too much to this growing program to not recognize him in some honoring way.

As far as the on ice play of late, this is a hard team to comment on right now and since shutting down the blog I've avoided writing anything negative. I think it's too early to give up on a squad this talented. We have a recruiting class that at least, on paper, is as good as it gets. Landon Smith has shown glimpses of brilliance, MacMaster has been solid at times while the rest still seem to be finding their way. As far as the goaltending situation, Garteig still has to be the guy. Lawrence did well in the Lowell tie but it seems awfully soon to be abandoning hope in a guy like Garteig who shined more nights than not in the previous season. The defense will improve and more scoring will come outside of the Anas/Peca duo. Stay positive and realize that these expectations we've had are a testament to the program, a program McDonald skillfully crafted. This should be a fun weekend at the Bank with a proven team like Northeastern coming in. I bet no one would've guessed through 8 combined games the Huskies and Bobcats would be a combined 1-6-1. Something has to give with both teams growing desperate with the day. I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.

I'll end my rant with this. We've been spoiled. The past few seasons have been amazing, mind blowing and humbling coming from a small program winning Quinnipiac Cups at the NIP. As a Cubs fan it's easy for me to look at a losing team and stick with them through thick and thin and while I think the team will right the ship this year, if they don't, hope and steady devotion will not be lost. This is simply because of what Jack McDonald and Rand built, a winning product.

Comment

A few years ago my daughter and I travelled 6-1/2 hrs to Canton, NY to watch game 2 of the semi's against St. Lawrence. We pull into the parking lot at Appleton and as we're walking in we see Jack, also on his way in. He sees my Bobcat jersey and ask if I need tickets. Before I could tell him we had them waiting at will call he opened his wallet and handed me 2 that he had. When I told him I didn't need them he said "take them anyway". That's just the way he is.

I, too, think naming the rink after him would be the highest honor QU could bestow on him.

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
      I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.
      We were 23rd with 64 pts on October 1st, 2012. That season ended pretty well...
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
      Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by allnightwong View Post
        Yeah, I too haven't been super present posting on the board but I do read what you chaps are writing daily. Jack will sorely be missed. But he did his job. He had a goal of putting this team and this university on the map and he did that in a tremendous way. Jack is one of those old school program guys. He is always front and center as one of the fans. With a beautiful, luxurious President's Club, or whatever they call it, perched high over the playing surface, Jack still makes a point to sit with the fans, not far from us, in the back row near center ice donning his muted yellow sweater vest and gigantic camera. That's cool and it's rare. He probably doesn't know my name, but you better believe a game doesn't go by that he doesn't say hello when passing, knowing a diehard familiar face when he sees it. Something in the future will be named after him but I'm tossing out the suggestion that when the High Point Solutions contract runs out, the ice rink is named after him similarly to how the basketball court is named for Murray Lender. He's meant too much to this growing program to not recognize him in some honoring way.

As far as the on ice play of late, this is a hard team to comment on right now and since shutting down the blog I've avoided writing anything negative. I think it's too early to give up on a squad this talented. We have a recruiting class that at least, on paper, is as good as it gets. Landon Smith has shown glimpses of brilliance, MacMaster has been solid at times while the rest still seem to be finding their way. As far as the goaltending situation, Garteig still has to be the guy. Lawrence did well in the Lowell tie but it seems awfully soon to be abandoning hope in a guy like Garteig who shined more nights than not in the previous season. The defense will improve and more scoring will come outside of the Anas/Peca duo. Stay positive and realize that these expectations we've had are a testament to the program, a program McDonald skillfully crafted. This should be a fun weekend at the Bank with a proven team like Northeastern coming in. I bet no one would've guessed through 8 combined games the Huskies and Bobcats would be a combined 1-6-1. Something has to give with both teams growing desperate with the day. I pose this question, when was the last USCHO poll that was released without QU in the top 20? Anyone who can find this out for me gets a high five.

I'll end my rant with this. We've been spoiled. The past few seasons have been amazing, mind blowing and humbling coming from a small program winning Quinnipiac Cups at the NIP. As a Cubs fan it's easy for me to look at a losing team and stick with them through thick and thin and while I think the team will right the ship this year, if they don't, hope and steady devotion will not be lost. This is simply because of what Jack McDonald and Rand built, a winning product.
        November 12th, 2012
        Quinnipiac University '15
        ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
        ECAC Championship: 2016
        NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
        NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
        Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Your last warning. Less than 14 hours to get your picks in. You have until 7PM tonight.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...14-2015-Season
          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Great opportunity to right the ship this weekend. Northeastern is winless in 4 starts having been shutout twice and only scoring 4 goals. I'm sure they'll be hungry... we need to be hungrier. NU cannot be taken lightly and the Bobcats have to take it to them. Hopefully there's no rust for us from the off-weekend.

Go Q!
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

I'm not gonna say this is a must sweep weekend but I would sure feel a lot better if they can pick up 3. Interested to see who will be getting the starts in between the pipes. I'm looking for a much improved Federico and more great play from L. Smith. GO BOBCATS

Comment

Saw a lot better play tonight. Garteig was much improved. He was where he needed to be positioninal wise. First goal hit off Barron so it wasn't his fault. Didn't get a great glimpse of their second but his open net save was great. Offensively we didn't look great outside the PP. St Denis' return was a boost. I think he's the most underrated player on the team. Also Derek Smith made a big leap this year and he is turning into one of our best defenseman if not the best so far this year. Oh yea the refs sucked tonight both ways. I expect tomorrow to be chippy.

See you all there
                Quinnipiac University '15
                ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                ECAC Championship: 2016
                NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

A very good game with some great moments. Gartieg was solid making the saves he needed to. Their 2nd goal was Roy slapping away at Gatzy's pads and the puck trickled in 5-hole. Defense was much better tonight. Offense was ok but not up to their potential IMHO.

Why is it that the ECAC refs are so bad? I know Rand doesn't help with all his chirping but tonight he was justified. St Denis took 2 calls that were beyond questionable and Tim Clifton's charging late in the 3rd was laughable... he was going to the net WITH the puck. That end if game PK was fantastic.

Overall a nice job. Need more of the same tomorrow.
                  Quinnipiac Bobcats
                  2023 National Champions
                  Northeast Regional:

Comment

Game day at the Bank!

Need more of yesterday's performance and then some. They have the talent and the ability... all they need is the desire, and they seemed to have that last night. Just do it again today boys!

Go Q!
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

They definitely played a more complete game. IMO the Schutt, Taverner, Jonzzon line was the strongest group of the evening. Anas seems to be trying to do too much and its causing him to deviate from his game. Garts was strong but there was still too many extended in zone stays for the Huskies. More so than anything else, I thought Northeastern stunk. They resembled more of a mid level AHA team than a once proud HE club. Their net minder was strong throughout, stifling many QU bids.

Today is a should and borderline must win game. Beat NE while their down and get back over .500 heading into a brutal opening ECAC weekend. Also, I see no reason to not give the Renoufs a go prior to league play. No one else is really elevating their game enough to continue to top them.

Forgot to mention... not sure what the obsession with MacMaster is. He hasn't shown me a glimpse of anything. I understand spreading the wealth, but right now Smith, St. Denis and even Schutt are far superior hockey players and I'd love to see one of them paired with Anas and Peca.
                      Last edited by allnightwong; 11-02-2014, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Nice Sweep QU ..... great comback being down by 2 .....
                        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

WOW, looking at todays box score looked more like an NHL game with all the penalties.
                          I see St Denis managed to collect two 10 min misconducts, one in period 2 and one at the end of the game.
                          Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                          And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                          WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                          If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

After a dismal 1st when NU controlled everything, the boys battled back and took the win for the sweep! Not their best performance but they showed a ton of heart. Garts was good... no chance on the 1st 2 goals. Landon Smith is a stud! The kid really showed what he's capable of this weekend. The Peca-Anas-Smith line worked really well until Peca got tweaked and missed a couple of shifts.

Great way to get ready for league play next weekend.
                            Quinnipiac Bobcats
                            2023 National Champions
                            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Originally posted by vicb View Post
                              I see St Denis managed to collect two 10 min misconducts, one in period 2 and one at the end of the game.
                              Big scrum at the end of the game. Someone ran Peca and everyone reacted.
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              Northeast Regional:

Comment

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hock...atula-sam-anas
                                https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                                Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Working...
                                X