Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
    The present isn't more important than the past, though. For example, if Quinnipiac ends up finishing low in the conference and bows out early this year, I can't get upset after the success of the last two years.
    Mine is slightly different. Because of the past couple year's success, I expect current success. I think that's everyone's thought for this program. I'm not ok with a win and a tie. I want a sweep every weekend. Now if we were to have a disappointing end to the year, I wouldn't get upset, id be highly disappointed though.
    Quinnipiac University '15
    ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
    ECAC Championship: 2016
    NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
    NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
    Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
      Mine is slightly different. Because of the past couple year's success, I expect current success. I think that's everyone's thought for this program. I'm not ok with a win and a tie. I want a sweep every weekend. Now if we were to have a disappointing end to the year, I wouldn't get upset, id be highly disappointed though.
      No question -- I expect this team to win, but it's hard to be upset with them this year if they fall short of the goal after what's happened the last few years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
        I'm also not a fan of any player hitting another player from behind, especially if the player is rammed into the boards.
        I agree. Possibly one of the worst things that can happen in contact sports. Anyone who enjoys seeing CFB is sick and demented.

I don't think anyone is saying Peca was innocent. Anyone that saw the hit knows the Peca knew immediately what he did. In fact it looked to me like Bardreau might have tapped him after the hit as if to say "no worries". Peca is not a goon or a dirty player. He made a mistake and I'm sure he'd be the first to acknowledge that.

As for retaliation, if Schafer is a stand-up guy he won't allow it to happem after the point he was trying to make Saturday.
        Quinnipiac Bobcats
        2023 National Champions
        ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
        ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
        East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
        Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
        Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
        Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

I expect this team to compete in the upper tier year in and year out due to facilities, campus, quality academics at the university and much less restrictions than the ivies and some other ECAC institutions. To me this team and program should be a top 4 ECAC year in and year out due to the advantages that we have.
          QUINNIPIAC UNIVERSITY BOBCATS

ECAC Regular Season Champions
          2013, 2015, 2016, 2019

ECAC Tournament Champions

NCAA Tournament
          2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2019

NCAA Frozen Four
          2013, 2016

https://www.bobcatshockeyblog.com/
          https://***********/QHockeyBlog
          https://www.instagram.com/bobcatshockeyblog/
          https://www.facebook.com/QHockeyBlog/

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
            I agree. Possibly one of the worst things that can happen in contact sports. Anyone who enjoys seeing CFB is sick and demented.

I don't think anyone is saying Peca was innocent. Anyone that saw the hit knows the Peca knew immediately what he did. In fact it looked to me like Bardreau might have tapped him after the hit as if to say "no worries". Peca is not a goon or a dirty player. He made a mistake and I'm sure he'd be the first to acknowledge that.

As for retaliation, if Schafer is a stand-up guy he won't allow it to happem after the point he was trying to make Saturday.
            Hope so Mark. We had a similar incident a few years ago when Danny Biega of Harvard slammed a Brown player into the boards. Biega was punished for it but the Brown fans were incensed and I could understand their reaction. Biega was not a dirty player while at Harvard but that hit marked him as one in the eyes of other fans. I didn't see the Peca hit nor do I have a dog in this fight. I'd just like to see this type of violence legislated out of the game. If that's even possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
              Actually Both, I think it was only one game.

I'm not a Schaefer fan and his rant is akin to the pot calling the kettle black. I'm also not a fan of any player hitting another player from behind, especially if the player is rammed into the boards. So I hope the Cornell player is okay. Let's hope there is no retaliation from Cornell although I wouldn't bet against it.
              Didn't Cornell dock him an additional game?

Comment

Peca definitely knew it - he went right to the box and took a seat. And it was clearly a five-and-a-game check from behind - Bardeau's numbers were facing Peca, and Peca hammered him. Bardeau was defenseless. It probably looked worse than it was, as hits from behind often do, because the player getting hit doesn't see it coming and can't prepare. But that doesn't take the danger out of it - a hit from behind can cost a player a couple of games, a season, a career, or the use of their body in some instances.

That said, asking for a diving minor on a checking from behind call is a bit over the top. Anyone who's ever been hit from behind knows you can't really embellish that kind of hit - you're so unprepared to be hit that you're going to go flying. You just can't fake that. As far as Bardeau's injury history, Pecknold knows it, but he probably didn't think about it at the time. To believe that any coach doesn't know a player on a team that plays in his league suffered an injury like that is ridiculous.

Schafer was way over the top in his comments to the media and is going to sit for a game. If there's a repeat of what happened between these two teams a few years ago at their next meeting, you can bet that both coaches will get a few games of vacation time.

Originally posted by QUAlum2004 View Post
                We like Pecknold because he wins. Flat out he wins and to me that is all that matters. This is D1 college athletics which is a business. Our hockey program makes this university money period. It helps fund other programs, new buildings, scholarships, etc. As long as Pecknold keeps winning within the rules of the game I don't care how he does it. Winning leads to the NCAA tournament, the NCAA tournament leads to potential national championships and greater national exposure and money funding into the university. We don't need to adhere to the standards of other ECAC schools as long we play within the rules and last I checked Rand has run a **** clean program in his 20 years in Hamden.
                Finally, as far as winning at hockey begetting funding for Quinnipiac or any other university, that's a half truth. Mostly, Division I athletics, be it football, basketball, hockey, or baseball (which are the only NCAA sports that are generally revenue neutral or positive) bring in money to the schools athletic department. It's an animal that feeds itself - generally athletics do nothing to fund the academic mission of universities in and of themselves, and this has been greatly reported in the media. They do get alumni to be more active and rally around the school, but if you think that Quinnipiac or any other school is building a new dorm, adding a new major, raising professors salaries, or able to cut tuition to students because the hockey team made a Frozen Four, you're delusional.
                Last edited by 2S0L0U2; 11-11-2014, 05:03 PM.
                St. Lawrence '02

Comment

Originally posted by 2S0L0U2 View Post
                  Finally, as far as winning at hockey begetting funding for Quinnipiac or any other university, that's a half truth. Mostly, Division I athletics, be it football, basketball, hockey, or baseball (which are the only NCAA sports that are generally revenue neutral or positive) bring in money to the schools athletic department. It's an animal that feeds itself - generally athletics do nothing to fund the academic mission of universities in and of themselves, and this has been greatly reported in the media. They do get alumni to be more active and rally around the school, but if you think that Quinnipiac or any other school is building a new dorm, adding a new major, raising professors salaries, or able to cut tuition to students because the hockey team made a Frozen Four, you're delusional.
                  Trust me, any student -- former, current, or future -- at Quinnipiac knows the school isn't ever cutting tuition.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                    Allain would never get mad like that, he'll just refuse to even speak to the media and send his SID into the press conference room with a statement. That's happened more than once after losses at Quinnipiac.

And I thought Yale didn't consider their games against Quinnipiac as rivalry games. Yeah, right.
                    Here I sit eating my popcorn enjoying the show and you had to bring up Allain. He has his past, and has actually been much calmer the past two seasons (at least on the bench, where his bench penalties were becoming a problem) He will never be much of a press conference guy either. But when it really counted, he absolutely schooled Rand. Absent my winking comment earlier, both coaches were wrong, get over it.
                    YALE HOCKEY
                    2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                      Rand made the high school team and Got 6 was left off is my bet
                      This town has only had a high school for the last 6 years, but Rand has a reputation of being classless and an ******* from everyone in this town that knows him.

When you assume you make a bigger *** out of yourself than usual.
                      9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                      1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

This debate is NOT about a coach calling for embellishment... it's about a coach using obscene language in a public outburst. Justified or not, it was wrong. Suspension issued, apology sent, time to move on.
                        No Mark, this is every bit as much about the reasons the coach used profanity and the reason is that everyone outside of Hamden is sick of his embarrassing behavior.

Comment

Again, I think you miss the point. While I agree Peca is a standup guy and a good player, the tussle was in the handshake line between players who don't like looking over and seeing the opposing coach accusing them of diving after one of their teammates got HFB. All Schafer did was provide the verbal commentary on what he and his players think which lead to the issue in the handshake line. I wouldn't be surprised to see some chippiness and I wouldn't assume Schafer is behind if it happens. The Cornell players were obviously upset at Pecknold and I would be too if I were them.

Comment

In no particular order:

1. Bardeau's injury is well known. I'm quite sure Rand was aware.
                            2. The major isn't dependent on whether there's an injury.
                            3. The Q radio guys embarrassed themselves after the hit with their histrionics
                            4. To the "it's not like he was hurt. He got up" crowd, when Cole got hurt two years ago, he played the rest of the game with a broken neck. It's not always obvious.
                            5. Arguing for embellishment when your player took a cheap run at someone (while in the offensive zone on the power play no less) is idiotic. See #4.
                            6. I don't care that it was the playoffs, running up the score two years ago is as inexcusable as the fisticuffs that it caused
                            7. Someone up thread said that the goal on Saturday was fine because even though there was goalie contact the puck was in the crease. False: *******http://i57.tinypic.com/8z0dhi.jpg********
                            *******http://i60.tinypic.com/1252p3m.jpg********

8. There's zero reason for not reviewing the goal on Saturday, even if the result was that it was too close to call and a good goal.
                            9. Q controlled play in the third and deserved to win the game regardless of whether the goal was good or not
                            Last edited by LGR03; 11-11-2014, 10:03 PM. Reason: grammar
                            Give My Regards to Davy...

Comment

• Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                              No Mark, this is every bit as much about the reasons the coach used profanity and the reason is that everyone outside of Hamden is sick of his embarrassing behavior.
                              Yawn. We get it.

Comment

Originally posted by LGR03 View Post
                                In no particular order:

1. Bardeau's injury is well known. I'm quite sure Rand was aware.
                                2. The major isn't dependent on whether there's an injury.
                                3. The Q radio guys embarrassed themselves after the hit with their histrionics
                                4. To the "it's not like he was hurt. He got up" crowd, when Cole got hurt two years ago, he played the rest of the game with a broken neck. It's not always obvious.
                                5. Arguing for embellishment when your player took a cheap run at someone (while in the offensive zone on the power play no less) is idiotic. See #4.
                                6. I don't care that it was the playoffs, running up the score two years ago is as inexcusable as the fisticuffs that it caused
                                7. Someone up thread said that the goal on Saturday was fine because even though there was goalie contact the puck was in the crease. False: *******http://i57.tinypic.com/8z0dhi.jpg********
                                *******http://i60.tinypic.com/1252p3m.jpg********

8. There's zero reason for not reviewing the goal on Saturday, even if the result was that it was too close to call and a good goal.
                                9. Q controlled play in the third and deserved to win the game regardless of whether the goal was good or not
                                Won't get an argument from me on that one. CC: ThxMuch

Points 1-2, 4-5: For the bajillionth time, nobody is arguing whether or not it was a major-and-a-game; of course it was. The question here is whether Rand was allowed to ask for embellishment in the heat of the moment to protect arguably one his top players. He did. Was he wrong? Seems like it. But he had a right to ask for it. Did Schafer have a right to be upset about Rand? Yup. Should he have used profanity in a public forum against one of his peers? Nope. That is about the crux of the situation.

Point 6: Play defense. Stop crying.

Point 7-9: Probably should have at least been looked at. Again though, play better in the third. Stop crying.

Comment

Working...
                                X