Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 2014-2015 Quinnipiac Bobcats: "I hear Boston is nice in April"

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
    Everyone knows you dislike Quinnipiac and Pecknold, but that's not even close to the point here. If it was Greg Carvel under the same circumstances and Schafer said this, you'd be first in line calling for his head on a platter. At least be man enough to admit that...

Whether Schafer was right or wrong doesn't matter. The language he used in a post game press conference was uncalled for and unprofessional regardless of the circumstances, period.
    I think you are missing the point. First, the reason I dislike Pecknold is because of this type of behavior and other things I know about him that I have not and will not discuss on a public forum, and second the reason I dislike Q is because of Pecknold and his antics and bull**** over the years. But more to your point, that would never, ever happen between Schafer and Carvel. Schafer has always been close to the SLU coaches and that is still true today. He was front and center when Joe retired as was Bennett, Gilligan, Vaughan and many others. Two coaches in the league in particular are sometimes jerks during the game (Schafer and Gaudet) but great guys off the ice. Pecknold's detractors don't know if he is still a jerk when he is asleep.

I don't argue the language was inappropriate but I am less bothered than that than I am by Pecknold working the refs for a call after a player gets piledriven into the boards who has a history of injuries from the same no less. Further, Schafer got his point across, and it's a point I know many other coaches would like to say and do say privately. Coaches like Jack Parker and Shawn Walsh had their detractors, but I challenge you to find one other D one coach that says they admire and respect him privately. I am pretty sure you would struggle. I understand your resistance to see Rand for what he is, but those of us that do are not going to be taking his side over Schafer's on this one. Schafer and Lowry are sticking up for their teammate the way hockey code teaches hockey guys, Rand was whining for a call because he cares more about winning than the athletes who play the game and didn't want Peca's penalty to lose the game for him.

Schafer just blew his top and said what lots of others have wanted to say for a while and his description is accurate.
    9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
    1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LynahFan View Post
      Heh. Before last weekend's games, I was talking to my mother (the sweetest, kindest 70-something grandmother you could ever hope to meet, and a 20-year Cornell season ticket holder), and she said something to the effect of, "I really don't like it when we play Quinnipiac - they're just nastier and meaner than all the other teams." I had to agree, but it really surprised me coming from her!
      At least her eyesight and other senses are still sharp!

Comment

Originally posted by MSchvatz44 View Post
        A precedence needs to be set when a coach calls one of his PEERS (see, I too can capitalize random words in a sentence or emphasis) a ********** classless a**hole. You simply can't have coaches going around saying that about other coaches in the league if you want to maintain a sense of professionalism and credibility.

Sure, Schafer has a right to be upset, just as Rand has a right to ask for embellishment if he honestly thought that could have been the call. The difference with Schafer is that he took those emotions outside of the ice and in your words, so "nicely and unequivocally" used expletives in a public forum. But NO, he was FIRED UP! Don't punish him! I would think that you, along with the rest of you ECAC fans who so often like to sit on a perch and try to look down at QU and judge, would hope fora little more "class" from a coach speaking in public.

But, yes, keep shaking your fist angrily in the air. That is doing everyone some good!
        I never said don't punish him, but based on what I know and what I think he was just saying publicly what many, if not most, others think. Who is shaking their fist angrily in the air? Schafer, me, and most others not in Hamden spewing win at all cost slogans are just calling it like they see it. I'd take it a step further and say that your AD MacDonald is clueless for not seeing that eventually there will be blowback on the Q program. Further, I might add, that Cornell's old coach McCutcheon was every bit as bad as Pecknold and ultimately the Lynah faithful chased him out of town.

All Schafer did was say something publicly that has been said many times in private.

But keep saying that all that matters is his record. If my college had a coach like Rand, I'd be writing a letter a day like Andy at Shawshank to get rid of him. Winning should never be all that matters and even schools like Texas Tech have figured that out. Not only do we expect our coaches to act in a way that brings honor and respect to our program, but we expect them to recruit high quality kids with character and educate them as much in the program as the emphasize hockey. If you ask any fan of SLU, we'd rather have Joe Marsh and win 2 games, than have a coach like Rand who wins 22. When you have pretty even tempered posters like Critsports referring to him as "the most reviled coach in college hockey" some degree of introspection might be warranted. I can guarantee you that if Marsh or Carvel where coaching at Q and that happened their first thought would be to make sure the Cornell player was okay. That's way more important than a win and I'd say the same thing even if it were SLU and Q playing and Peca or any other guy got hit into the boards from behind. That shows that Pecknold doesn't have the respect for the game or the players that he should because as Schafer said his player could have had a broken neck or a career ending concussion.

Maybe someday some of you will get religion. Until then, hopefully some of you have conquered the mystery surrounding fairly universal feelings about Rand.

Comment

I don't know pecknold well enough to judge him, but Schafer is such a blowhard. Guy has always been a sore loser and is the consummate opposite of class - he was that way as a player and now as a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
            I think you are missing the point. First, the reason I dislike Pecknold is because of this type of behavior and other things I know about him that I have not and will not discuss on a public forum, and second the reason I dislike Q is because of Pecknold and his antics and bull**** over the years. But more to your point, that would never, ever happen between Schafer and Carvel. Schafer has always been close to the SLU coaches and that is still true today. He was front and center when Joe retired as was Bennett, Gilligan, Vaughan and many others. Two coaches in the league in particular are sometimes jerks during the game (Schafer and Gaudet) but great guys off the ice. Pecknold's detractors don't know if he is still a jerk when he is asleep.

I don't argue the language was inappropriate but I am less bothered than that than I am by Pecknold working the refs for a call after a player gets piledriven into the boards who has a history of injuries from the same no less. Further, Schafer got his point across, and it's a point I know many other coaches would like to say and do say privately. Coaches like Jack Parker and Shawn Walsh had their detractors, but I challenge you to find one other D one coach that says they admire and respect him privately. I am pretty sure you would struggle. I understand your resistance to see Rand for what he is, but those of us that do are not going to be taking his side over Schafer's on this one. Schafer and Lowry are sticking up for their teammate the way hockey code teaches hockey guys, Rand was whining for a call because he cares more about winning than the athletes who play the game and didn't want Peca's penalty to lose the game for him.

Schafer just blew his top and said what lots of others have wanted to say for a while and his description is accurate.
            First of all, I'm really glad the Cornell player was able to return to the game after suffering his injury, and I'm equally as glad he wasn't hurt on what was, by all accounts, a really dangerous hit by Peca.

Now that's out of way -- the kid's injury history isn't relevant to this discussion. Even if Rand knew about the kid's history (which I doubt he did), do you really think he noticed which player Peca crushed into the boards? There is probably a 98% chance (and that's low) that Rand had no idea about the kid's injury history. So, that's really not a relevant discussion point here.

Also, the Cornell player got up immediately and stayed in the game. It's not like the kid was being helped off the ice and Rand was whining while that was happening -- the kid got right up. Let's not act like Rand was dancing on someone's grave, here. The kid was OK. Five seconds after the hit, there was absolutely no concern about his safety. So, since there was no reason to worry about the athlete, he was back to trying to win the game and trying to help ensure Peca's penalty didn't lose them the game.

Again, under those circumstances, you want your coach to do the exact same thing. If you don't, you're lying.

Yes, if that kid is lying on the ice injured, obviously it would be awful for Rand to be whining for embellishment. But also, if the kid's lying on the ice needing assistance, there's no way Rand's calling for embellishment because there was none! Once the kid gets up, it's fair game.
            Last edited by ZYanksRule; 11-10-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

because as Schafer said his player could have had a broken neck or a career ending concussion.
              Let's be clear here -- this kid had a history of a broken neck, apparently. There was no concern about that in the immediate aftermath, he got right up and skated to the bench without assistance. Rand was not dancing on a kid's grave, here. Let's be clear about that. We're acting as if they brought the stretcher out, and while that was happening Rand was whining for embellishment. That is not what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                Let's be clear here -- this kid had a history of a broken neck, apparently. There was no concern about that in the immediate aftermath, he got right up and skated to the bench without assistance. Rand was not dancing on a kid's grave, here. Let's be clear about that. We're acting as if they brought the stretcher out, and while that was happening Rand was whining for embellishment. That is not what happened.
                Really? I have a friend who got hit high in a college game, he got up, zipped off the ice like nothing happened and had a career ending broken neck. SLU had an All-American in 1985 that got speared by another all-American from Yale in a game, finished the game and nearly bled to death with a ruptured spleen that night. Rookie coach Joe Marsh called Tim Taylor and suggested he sit the player who speared him. Taylor wouldn't bench him, but apologized and said he would take steps to make sure his player didn't do that again. I was rear-ended by a drunk driver. I refused to go to the hospital...after the adrenaline wore off I had a back fracture and severely bruised chest to the point I couldn't breathe 2 hours later. We need more coaches that say "the ref made the right call" and fewer that suggest to the refs that he embellished it. Period. Concussion symptoms frequently are not immediate because like any bruise sometimes it needs to swell up before the symptoms present themselves. Ambassadors of the game care more about the potential negative outcome of one of the most dangerous plays in hockey. Bottomline, I think Rand showed less class than Schafer by a lot. Now that Schafer has drawn attention to it, maybe the refs will be looking at your bench to call some more unsportsmanlike penalties in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by ZYanksRule View Post
                  Again, under those circumstances, you want your coach to do the exact same thing. If you don't, you're lying.

Yes, if that kid is lying on the ice injured, obviously it would be awful for Rand to be whining for embellishment. But also, if the kid's lying on the ice needing assistance, there's no way Rand's calling for embellishment because there was none! Once the kid gets up, it's fair game.
                  Watch Bruin highlights from a few years ago, Greg Campbell skated off the ice with a badly broken leg. That wasn't from a cheap shot, but it shows the hockey player mentality. The reason NCAA refs are not supposed to have any discretion on this call is because of the potential for injury. HFB into the boards is an automatic 5 and, frankly, how many college hockey players are going to embellish a HFB by diving into the boards? That's just complete nonsense.

So next time one of your guys gets tomahawked and doesn't go down but skates to the bench with a broken arm or wrist, it's fair game because he isn't lying motionless on the ice? The rules are there to protect players from both teams and it makes me sick to my stomach to see anyone at any level hit head first into the boards. Thinking of that and even innocent plays like Travis Roy at BU it makes me reluctant to let my kids play hockey.

You don't know me very well. If my college coach did that, I'd expect someone like Schafer to call him out on it and rightfully so and that is not a lie. In fact, feel free to search my posts where I praised the SLU coach for benching his All-Americans from a high stick and a slash against Union about 8 years ago. Did I like seeing a sniper like TJ Trevelyan in street clothes against RPI??? Not so much, but its the right thing to do for the game and the team in the long run. You see numbers, stop!!!! Period!!!

Comment

Watch Bruin highlights from a few years ago, Greg Campbell skated off the ice with a badly broken leg. That wasn't from a cheap shot, but it shows the hockey player mentality. The reason NCAA refs are not supposed to have any discretion on this call is because of the potential for injury. HFB into the boards is an automatic 5 and, frankly, how many college hockey players are going to embellish a HFB by diving into the boards? That's just complete nonsense.

So next time one of your guys gets tomahawked and doesn't go down but skates to the bench with a broken arm or wrist, it's fair game because he isn't lying motionless on the ice? The rules are there to protect players from both teams and it makes me sick to my stomach to see anyone at any level hit head first into the boards. Thinking of that and even innocent plays like Travis Roy at BU it makes me reluctant to let my kids play hockey.

You don't know me very well. If my college coach did that, I'd expect someone like Schafer to call him out on it and rightfully so and that is not a lie. In fact, feel free to search my posts where I praised the SLU coach for benching his All-Americans from a high stick and a slash against Union about 8 years ago. Did I like seeing a sniper like TJ Trevelyan in street clothes against RPI??? Not so much, but its the right thing to do for the game and the team in the long run. You see numbers, stop!!!! Period!!!
                    I agree with you about the hit. It was an awful hit by Peca, it deserved five and a game. I just don't think it's beyond the pale for Rand to be working the refs. That's all. Nor am I particularly upset by what Schafer said. And I'm very, very glad the Cornell player is OK. It's a dangerous play, an awful play, and a play that has no place in the sport.

Comment

Every year got 6, want more comes on here and flips a **** about Rand and says "I know things I'd never dare say in a public forum about Rand Pecknold" and makes a big hoopla about how Rand sucks and every player that picks Q over SLU can go die or whatever. If you know these terrible things about Rand, say them, or never post on this again. It is the stupidest thing ever. Q and SLU don't go after the same kids for the most part so no one knows what your talking about there and Q routinely stands atop the ECAC while SLU fights tooth and nail to get a home ECAC series. Get a life bro. You obviously resent Pecknold for some reason or you wouldn't do this every year.

As for the whole **** storm. Everyone knows deep down that they would argue that was embellishment, as the kid got up and skated away like he just made the hit rather then receiving it, in order to save your best player from getting tossed. Peca knew it was a penalty the second it happened, no one is arguing that. Pecknold has a right to say WHATEVER he wants to the ref. You can agree or disagree but that is a FACT. Schafer didn't like it, no problem. Cuss as much as you want on the record Schafer, now your just hurting your own team and I begin to laugh from afar. There's ways to stand up for your players rather than cussing out the other coach to a reporter. Unprofessional, classless, and ironic in fact. I love when the Ivies get mad. Just think if Allain got mad like that.

Enough of this crap until February in which will be must watch hockey the first weekend in February. I was already planning on making the trip and now I wouldn't miss it for the world. Cornell has serious problems aside from this incident. No Ryan and really no one who can put the puck in the net since Ferlin left. Good be a bad year for the Big Red.

For now, let Got 6, Want More talk until his Saints become irrelevant in 3 weeks
                      Quinnipiac University '15
                      ECAC Regular Season Champs: 2013, 2015, 2016
                      ECAC Championship: 2016
                      NCAA Tournament: 2002, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
                      NCAA Frozen Four: 2013, 2016
                      Yuck Fale : 2013

Comment

Oh and btw we all know your response to this is going to be some historic thing about SLU so ill answer that now. It's 2014, I'm concerned about 2014 not what SLU did in the 70s or 80s and I don't care what Q did in 2012-2013

Comment

My main reaction is I am glad we're talking about comments rather than a severe injury. Schafer apologized, he'll serve the suspension, but most importantly Cole will be out there skating Friday. Given the severity of his prior injury this was a near miss at a terrible repeat. I assume that while reckless the play was not malicious, and hopefully this will all be forgotten in January.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            My main reaction is I am glad we're talking about comments rather than a severe injury. Schafer apologized, he'll serve the suspension, but most importantly Cole will be out there skating Friday. Given the severity of his prior injury this was a near miss at a terrible repeat. I assume that while reckless the play was not malicious, and hopefully this will all be forgotten in January.
                            Ya good point. Play wasn't malicious. After hitting Bardreau, Peca knew he had made a mistake and didn't fight back when Cornell guys grabbed him

Comment

Always love Got 6's biannual Rand rant. As predictable as the seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by BigAl View Post
                                Every year got 6, want more comes on here and flips a **** about Rand and says "I know things I'd never dare say in a public forum about Rand Pecknold" and makes a big hoopla about how Rand sucks and every player that picks Q over SLU can go die or whatever. If you know these terrible things about Rand, say them, or never post on this again. It is the stupidest thing ever. Q and SLU don't go after the same kids for the most part so no one knows what your talking about there and Q routinely stands atop the ECAC while SLU fights tooth and nail to get a home ECAC series. Get a life bro. You obviously resent Pecknold for some reason or you wouldn't do this every year.

As for the whole **** storm. Everyone knows deep down that they would argue that was embellishment, as the kid got up and skated away like he just made the hit rather then receiving it, in order to save your best player from getting tossed. Peca knew it was a penalty the second it happened, no one is arguing that. Pecknold has a right to say WHATEVER he wants to the ref. You can agree or disagree but that is a FACT. Schafer didn't like it, no problem. Cuss as much as you want on the record Schafer, now your just hurting your own team and I begin to laugh from afar. There's ways to stand up for your players rather than cussing out the other coach to a reporter. Unprofessional, classless, and ironic in fact. I love when the Ivies get mad. Just think if Allain got mad like that.

Enough of this crap until February in which will be must watch hockey the first weekend in February. I was already planning on making the trip and now I wouldn't miss it for the world. Cornell has serious problems aside from this incident. No Ryan and really no one who can put the puck in the net since Ferlin left. Good be a bad year for the Big Red.

For now, let Got 6, Want More talk until his Saints become irrelevant in 3 weeks
                                I'm not getting involved in the Pecknold and Schaefer thing, I personally could care less about any of it!

However, a few parts of this post are the exact reason why not only Saints fans but the majority of fans in the ECAC don't care for Quinnipiac (obviously not everyone doesn't care for Quinnipiac, I do get that). The fact that you can completely overlook the rich hockey history/tradition of a great program like St. Lawrence and say that we are irrelevant just shows the type of fans you guys are. Clearly not every Quinnipiac fan is this nearsighted and clueless, but a lot of the ones I have met are. A newbie to our league comes skipping in, frolicking around for a bit, has a few good seasons and all of a sudden can lay claim to a storied hockey program like St. Lawrence being irrelevant? ... I don't think so! See all of us knowledgeable long time ECAC hockey fans do understand that every program has it's ups and downs, this will include Quinnipiac. The difference? Well, see we won't be calling Quinnipiac irrelevant because we have been around long enough to know that it is all part of the process. Someday you'll get there, I promise.

Btw, if your still a little clueless as to what I mean, cue the signature below my profile ... Have a nice day!
                                Last edited by Saints#1; 11-11-2014, 09:25 PM.
                                St. Lawrence Skating Saints Hockey

6 time ECAC Champions: 1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001
                                4 time ECAC Runner-Ups: 1964, 1987, 1991, 1999
                                2 time ECAC Cleary Cup Champions: 2000, 2007
                                16 NCAA Tournament Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1983, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1992, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2007
                                9 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances: 1952, 1955, 1956, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1988, 2000
                                2 time NCAA Tournament Runner-Ups: 1961, 1988

Comment

Working...
                                X