Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Bryan Sullivan calls you guys mediocre in his ECAC blog today, getting to not think much of him.
    It all starts with the goaltending.

Comment

Agreed, Sullivan is too kind. Union's .393 ECAC percentage is not mediocre. Like the coaches and some players, we're all just watching video of the 2014 NCAA Championships and waiting for the hangover fog to clear...
      Last edited by Vaportrail; 02-02-2015, 01:44 PM. Reason: Clarified % is Union's ECAC %

Comment

Originally posted by sshablak View Post
        Bryan Sullivan calls you guys mediocre in his ECAC blog today, getting to not think much of him.
        Bryan is a HE fan. IMO does not like the ECAC. Don't know why the USCHO has him assigned to report on the ECAC. ECAC is point .490.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 02-02-2015, 01:05 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Absolutely a great write-up on what ails us and consistent with the last few posts ... brings into perspective what many folks have been saying.
          Its worth the read.

Three Things I Think: ECAC 2/2
          Posted by: Josh Seguin
          http://blog.collegehockeynews.com/20...think-ecac-22/
          Union’s Defense and Neutral Zone Play is a Work in Progress

Despite a win on Friday night, Rick Bennett was not pleased with how the win was achieved. On the box score the result looked great, a 5-4 win, but on the ice the result was pretty choppy against a Harvard team that is in all respects to them, decimated to the point they can hardly present a viable roster against a good opponent. For Union though, it was clear why it currently sits in tenth place in the ECAC. It is a place even I thought was a bit low for the defending champions, but then again it seems perfect to what I saw on the ice.

The first pairing of Noah Henry and Jeff Taylor looked out of sync in the neutral and defensive zones for much of the Harvard game. Henry turned the puck over consistently and his decisions were at times, deflating to Union and questionable at best. I cannot remember a game this season, when I saw one defenseman turn the puck over so many times in a game. Most of the opportunities on that night were with the Henry, Taylor pair on the ice. The next night, it was the second pairing of Gingras and JC Brassard that had a rocky game against Dartmouth. The pair was on the ice for all three Dartmouth goals and many other great DC chances.

From the outside, changes might be needed on the defensive pairs. I understand trying to spread out the talent on the defensive pairs, but then again why not try putting the best guys together? The latter is what most teams try to do going down the stretch. Noah Henry and Jc Brassard will never be Mat Bodie and Shayne Gostisbehere, but then again Jeff Taylor and Sebastian Gingras are better defensemen than both showed this weekend. This poor play is leading to Union playing a very offensive game, that it is hardly used to. It is a dangerous game that is allowing them to score a ton, but its defense is sure taking a hit. Union has been known throughout its run of the past four years, of relying on its defense and goaltending, which is not happening this season.

Union has time to rectify the problems, but sitting in tenth place means a possible trip on the road for two consecutive weeks to begin the ECAC tournament, if it wishes to defend its three consecutive league titles. Its possible with the offense it has, but things need to change in the neutral zone and defensive zone real quick. Unlike some, a run to me seems unlikely based on what I saw.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 02-02-2015, 08:12 PM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Since January 1 - 8 games
            We scored 31 goals - 3.88
            We gave up 29 goals - 3.63
            Since January 16 - 5 games
            We scored 20 goals - 4.00
            We gave up 20 goals - 4.00

We are 2-8 in 1 goal games
            We are 10-4 when leading after 2

Worse stat IMO
            Number of our opponents shots that we blocked YTD - 266
            Number of our shots blocked by our opponents YTD - 372
            DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
            DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

"I cannot remember a game this season, when I saw one defenseman turn the puck over so many times in a game."

Apparently Josh hasn't seen any other Union games this year.

Good analysis, and, before this year, I wouldn't have believed Bennett would tolerate it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                "I cannot remember a game this season, when I saw one defenseman turn the puck over so many times in a game."

Apparently Josh hasn't seen any other Union games this year.

Good analysis, and, before this year, I wouldn't have believed Bennett would tolerate it.
                That's what has been so frustrating about this season. It's been the same song and dance since the AIC game on opening night. I understood the issues with the D early in the season but the situation hasn't improved at all. Throwing the same six defenseman in the same three pairs out there every weekend and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. It's time to give Krug and Light a chance to see if they can do better.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchfan View Post
                  That's what has been so frustrating about this season. It's been the same song and dance since the AIC game on opening night. I understood the issues with the D early in the season but the situation hasn't improved at all. Throwing the same six defenseman in the same three pairs out there every weekend and expecting a different result is the definition of insanity. It's time to give Krug and Light a chance to see if they can do better.
                  Light played a bunch of games in December & January and had a couple clunkers against Q-pac & Cornell. I thought Krug looked solid at times last season, but he ended up losing the sixth D-man derby to Henry.. I guess you could say there is not much to lose, but I don't really think he is an answer at this point in the season.

There's no doubt that the D-corps has struggled this season, and while the 2 departees from last season were fantastic players, it is a little bit of a surprise that it has been this bad - or more likely we were just spoiled during the Bodie/Ghost years. Some of the reasons for the decline were to be expected but a couple are not so. Very few freshmen D have come in & been consistent performers. Bodie is really the only one I can think of. An argument can be made for Taylor, but he was paired with the best defenseman in college hockey last year. This year's freshmen have potential but are make fairly typical bad decisions & mistakes. There are others that transitioning to more prominent roles and struggling at times. My breakdown of the d-men:
                  - Taylor: generally an overall good season. Very good offensively and has been making progress on the defensive end, though still not quite the foot speed or physicality to be a defensive stopper. His decision making is steadily improving, but he is only a soph & has room to get better.
                  - Gingras: has struggled. Last season with Bodie was more defense first and developed into a fantastic breakout passer, who once or twice a game would try to rush the puck. This season he seems to be forcing the offense more with inconsistent results. His mistakes are magnified being paired with less experienced partners. Also was injured and has been in & out of the lineup a bit, which probably hasn't helped with consistency.
                  - Vasaturo: he was the 5th D-man last year and pretty much remains so this season. I think he has been solid and is the only D-man who consistently brings size, effort & physicality. Experience & leadership are pluses and is good on the PK. That said, he is not a high skill skater or stickhandler and has limitations that are exposed at times, especially being paired with a freshman.
                  - Henry: has a nice skill set, but still has issues with turnovers and decision making. Was 6th d-man last season and easily was the weakest link in the post-season. I think he has upside and I believe he is improving, but remains to be seen if he gets there.
                  - The Freshmen: Brassard has improved and has great potential IMO. DeSimone is getting better too, but needs some off-season work to bring his game around. Light has potential but is more of a question mark. Bottom line with all of them is that they have a lot to learn defensively and still make plenty of mistakes.

I'm not sure what the coaches can do to change things. I guess you could have Taylor/Gingras & Vasaturo/Brassard as your top pairs, but you really wouldn't want to be caught with your 3rd pair out there against any top forwards. I think the current combos are generally about as good as you can do, and have to hope that Gingras & Henry improve and become more consistent. A tall order at this point in the season..
                  Last edited by ADK11; 02-03-2015, 10:59 AM.
                  UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                    Since January 1 - 8 games
                    We scored 31 goals - 3.88
                    We gave up 29 goals - 3.63
                    Since January 16 - 5 games
                    We scored 20 goals - 4.00
                    We gave up 20 goals - 4.00

We are 2-8 in 1 goal games
                    We are 10-4 when leading after 2

Worse stat IMO
                    Number of our opponents shots that we blocked YTD - 266
                    Number of our shots blocked by our opponents YTD - 372
                    Ive posted this elsewhere - the alternative view on blocked shots and hits is that if you consistently have more than your opponents, then it shows that they have possession of the puck much longer than you do and that the play was in your end of the ice (defensive zone). Some people view these stats as a positive (to have more hits and blocked shots than your opponent). I'd say that if you are getting more shots blocked that you have possession in the offensive zone and consider that to be an overall positive.

Comment

Ciampini tabbed as HCA's National Player of the Month for January:

http://t.co/012AonXc5z

Comment

Congratulations to Daniel. Particularly impressive given record of 3-4-1 during January!

Comment

Somewhere between 10 - 18 games to go ..... Worse case scenario .... we are on the road or home for the first round of the tournament and drop 2. 10 games ... season over. I still think the ECAC can end up only 1 team in the NCAA's. Could be the worse NCAA performance for the ECAC in 10 years.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 02-05-2015, 05:28 AM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Somewhere between 10 - 18 games to go ..... Worse case scenario .... we are on the road or home for the first round of the tournament and drop 2. 10 games ... season over. I still think the ECAC can end up only 1 team in the NCAA's. Could be the worse NCAA performance for the ECAC in 10 years.
                            Three points out of a tie for 8th place - it's still possible to get home ice in round 1, but losing tiebreakers to both teams tied for 8th at the moment (RPI & Dartmouth) kinda stings. Union still has games against Cornell & Colgate (both currently tied for 6th, 4 points ahead), so a win against either of them will help.

As for the national picture, considering three ECAC teams reached the NCAA finals in the past two years with two champs, I'll take a "down year" for now. That said, I'd still like to see the ECAC teams on the fringe of the top 16 make a run - yes, I'm talking to all of you...Quinnipiac, Yale, Colgate, and even St. Lawrence.
                            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Just a "Happy Thought" here -

First it looks like Ciampini tied the school record for most points in a game against RPI. Would be nice if our sports media guys would catch things like this.

GAME
                              Points ____________________________6
                              Jason Ralph vs. Colgate, 11-5-99

I would say that Ciampini is in a position to break two more records, except that we face a whole slew of the nations best defensive teams (Yale, Cornell, Colgate and St. Lawrence) and even Brown is usually tough this time of year. Ciampini has 22 goals and 41 points.

SEASON
                              Goals ____________________________27
                              Jeremy Welsh, 2011-12
                              Points ___________________________50
                              Daniel Carr, 2013-14

He would need 5 goals and 9 points and unfortunately, probably just out of reach, given the competition.

Question - When we record season records, do we include all playoffs? I think we do because Carr's numbers are for 39 games which would have included the playoffs. We should really also have records for just the regular season. If so Ciampini would walk away with it.

Ciampini's shooting percentage is .247 UNBELIEVABLE
                              Last edited by Dutchman; 02-05-2015, 08:40 AM.
                              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

I would say that Ciampini is in a position to break two more records, except that we face a whole slew of the nations best defensive teams (Yale, Cornell, Colgate and St. Lawrence) and even Brown is usually tough this time of year. Ciampini has 22 goals and 41 points.

SEASON
                                Goals ____________________________27
                                Jeremy Welsh, 2011-12
                                Points ___________________________50
                                Daniel Carr, 2013-14

He would need 5 goals and 9 points and unfortunately, probably just out of reach, given the competition.

Question - When we record season records, do we include all playoffs? I think we do because Carr's numbers are for 39 games which would have included the playoffs. We should really also have records for just the regular season. If so Ciampini would walk away with it.

Ciampini's shooting percentage is .247 UNBELIEVABLE
                                Individual stats are all games including playoffs, so they do become a bit of apples & oranges when looking at total points, etc. in a season. Carr obviously played a lot more games last season than say TJ Fox ever did in a season. From what I can tell, Mario Trabucco is the only D-1 Union player to break 40 points in the regular season and would hold the record for most regular season points at 42. All going well, Champ & Vecks should both break that and may have shots at breaking 50. Hopefully they do, as that would be quite the accomplishment and unfortunately I wouldn't count on many more games after the regular season.
                                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Working...
                                X