Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
    Very nice win and a fantastic game to watch, even if the Crimson were undermanned a bit
    Undermanned a bit?? Really? We are missing six regulars. That is more than a 'bit undermanned'.

Comment

Stevens in net for Union.

Last edited by rdf8585; 01-31-2015, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Exact same lines as Harvard
        We are up 2:1 after two
        - Outshot in first period 20-6
        - Outshot in first period (Total shots) 30-9
        Dartmouth controlled the first
        Dartmouth all over our first line
        Scoring Novak and Foo - second line.
        We are blocking a lot of shots - good.
        Second line still neeeds to play better defense
        Crunch time period 3 - we gave up 3 goals to Dartmouth in period 3 last time.
        How tall is diPauli - really .... 5'7"? He is listed as 5'9" Tough Kid
        Stevens is standing tall ...
        Grant in Goal for Dartmouth - only his forth start this year.
        Do we have any gas in the tank? We looked a little spent after two.
        Who will step up?

Start of third -
        Woops ... we ran out of gas .... saw it coming.
        Really miss Bodie and the Ghost ....
        Dartmouths 4-line scored both those 3rd period goals?
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-31-2015, 08:39 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

So much for last night's restorative...alas, a season of being consistently inconsistent. A twenty win season beginning to look elusive.

Comment

Originally posted by Skate79 View Post
            Undermanned a bit?? Really? We are missing six regulars. That is more than a 'bit undermanned'.
            Okay, we get it. We've now heard more about how undermanned Harvard is than we have heard about global warming. Cornell is down some of their key guys including their leading scorer and they are 3-1 in the last 4. I hope you get healthy and I really hope you win the Beanpot, but right now it appears Harvard is feeling sorry for themselves. I can't feel sorry for any team that has guys like Vesey, Moy, and Crisculo on the ice.
            9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
            1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Dartmouth is making its run .... just like last year. The strategy of skating around until February, treating non-conference games like exhibition games and then making a run is IMO not going to work this year. Dartmouth was 0-4-3 in January up until Jan 24 and is now 3-0 making its run. Whatever Dartmouth was ever going to do, this is the year they were going to do it. This is the senior class (8) that held so much promise as sophomores. They caught Cornell and us right after very close and tough and exhausting games against Harvard and a depleted Colgate squad. I think we had shortened our lines against Harvard, maybe not. Dartmouth and Q have never won an ECAC tournament. In Lake Placid their banners are empty.

One of the problems with one great line going up against a team that can roll 4 is that they can wear you out. I think we did this last year when we had 4 very good lines. This was always supposed to be Dartmouth's year given the size of their senior class, their experience, age, size, etc. However, I don't see them as making it .... they still don't have any offensive plays. Running up and taking a shot will only get you so far. They did play for 60 minutes which has been a challenge for them. The last time I saw them do it was against BU. They won 2-0.

I figure you need about 26/27 points to get a first round bye .... we are not going to be there .... but I would hate to have us as a first round opponent.

The ECAC can still end up with just one team in the NCAA tournament and none in the FF which would be a shame since its in Boston.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Ship sailed on a first round bye a couple weekends ago.. now fighting for 1st round home ice and last nights game made that much more difficult. The worst thing about last night was not giving up the leads, but that Dartmouth played with a lot of fire and dominated the game. And the downside of having one big line that does most of the scoring is that the other team can key on shutting them down. Stevens was pretty good in goal but was left out to dry a few too many times. Dartmouth's 4th line won the game for them. The Green had a good game plan - to use the phrase, they out-Unioned Union.

Dartmouth may not win the league but they are 3 points ahead of us along with RPI meaning one good weekend likely won't get U out of this hole. The North Country trip is up and a trip to Cornell-Gate is sandwiched around Brown-Yale and home SLU/Clarkson. Right now Brown is MAYBE the only game you can expect to put in the win column.. sigh..
                UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  Dartmouth is making its run .... just like last year. The strategy of skating around until February, treating non-conference games like exhibition games and then making a run is IMO not going to work this year. Dartmouth was 0-4-3 in January up until Jan 24 and is now 3-0 making its run. Whatever Dartmouth was ever going to do, this is the year they were going to do it. This is the senior class (8) that held so much promise as sophomores. They caught Cornell and us right after very close and tough and exhausting games against Harvard and a depleted Colgate squad. I think we had shortened our lines against Harvard, maybe not. Dartmouth and Q have never won an ECAC tournament. In Lake Placid their banners are empty.
                  Nor has Brown.

Dartmouth looked very good against us, anyway. Sometimes teams just put everything together and go on great runs. The flaw in Dartmouth's "plan" may simply be they started their run too early. Jack Parker used to start the season with the Beanpot and he had a fair amount of success.

I don't know if they're for real, but of the teams we've seen this year only they and St. Lawrence have struck me as capable of finding that extra gear.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I figure you need about 26/27 points to get a first round bye
                    Historical table for the ECAC's 22-game seasons.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

While Colin was good, this team gives up more breakaways and odd-man rushes than a Pee Wee squad, and it's a good thing Colin and Alex are so strong against grade-A chances. I can't see a run with such a lack of accountability.

Though Noah and Sebastien have really struggled, if you're looking for when this team's season went bad, I'd argue it was on November 1st. In the RPI game of October 31st, Charlie had the worst game I've seen from a collegiate player. Bennett failed to hold his captain to the on-ice standard of others when he played Charlie the next day. While Charlie is a good guy, and we all have fond memories of last year, giving your leader a free pass on that day, and several times since, hasn't been a winning formula. To turn this around, the coaches need to ask for production now, and move on from last year.

Comment

One of the problems with one great line going up against a team that can roll 4 is that they can wear you out. I think we did this last year when we had 4 very good lines. This was always supposed to be Dartmouth's year given the size of their senior class, their experience, age, size, etc. However, I don't see them as making it .... they still don't have any offensive plays. Running up and taking a shot will only get you so far. They did play for 60 minutes which has been a challenge for them. The last time I saw them do it was against BU. They won 2-0.

I figure you need about 26/27 points to get a first round bye .... we are not going to be there .... but I would hate to have us as a first round opponent.

The ECAC can still end up with just one team in the NCAA tournament and none in the FF which would be a shame since its in Boston.
                        There is a way for Union to win the Cleary Cup. It'd take a small miracle, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                          While Colin was good, this team gives up more breakaways and odd-man rushes than a Pee Wee squad, and it's a good thing Colin and Alex are so strong against grade-A chances. I can't see a run with such a lack of accountability.

Though Noah and Sebastien have really struggled, if you're looking for when this team's season went bad, I'd argue it was on November 1st. In the RPI game of October 31st, Charlie had the worst game I've seen from a collegiate player. Bennett failed to hold his captain to the on-ice standard of others when he played Charlie the next day. While Charlie is a good guy, and we all have fond memories of last year, giving your leader a free pass on that day, and several times since, hasn't been a winning formula. To turn this around, the coaches need to ask for production now, and move on from last year.
                          This.

I'm sure as much as he's a good guy, the fact is, he doesn't help this team win games. He's an extreme liability in his own end, and always has been. I've never seen a Union defender get beaten more to the outside than this guy, it's almost unbelievable how regularly it happens. If he didn't have a C on his chest, he wouldn't be dressing every night. He's just one man, though, in a massively disappointing D unit we have this year. When your most consistent D-man is a freshman out of prep school (Brassard), it's going to be an adventure every night back there, and it always is.

Comment

• Originally posted by AnthonySaxe View Post
                            This.

I'm sure as much as he's a good guy, the fact is, he doesn't help this team win games. He's an extreme liability in his own end, and always has been. I've never seen a Union defender get beaten more to the outside than this guy, it's almost unbelievable how regularly it happens. If he didn't have a C on his chest, he wouldn't be dressing every night. He's just one man, though, in a massively disappointing D unit we have this year. When your most consistent D-man is a freshman out of prep school (Brassard), it's going to be an adventure every night back there, and it always is.
                            Nobody has stepped up on D to fill Ghost or Bodie's shoes (a tall order, I know). I'm very disappointed in Gingras, I was hoping he would develop into a stud this year, but instead he plays very soft, wiffs on almost every shot he takes, puck handling is questionable, and makes a few bonehead plays every game. Vasacuro is probably a good leader off the ice but isn't a lockdown Dman by any means. I'm pleased with Brassard, he has a bright future and Taylor has been progressing as the season goes on. Defense needs improvement, maybe it's youth, but it has to get better.
                            Union College Hockey
                            2014 NCAA National Champions
                            2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Kevin Shier is doing color for the Toronto Patriots, his former team. His name is on the screen at about 1:30 of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuCJ...ature=youtu.be. (The reason that I watched this is that Jacob Hayhurst, who had a goal and an assist, is a 2016 RPI recruit.)
                              Last edited by Ralph Baer; 02-02-2015, 06:07 AM.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                                Nobody has stepped up on D to fill Ghost or Bodie's shoes (a tall order, I know). I'm very disappointed in Gingras, I was hoping he would develop into a stud this year, but instead he plays very soft, wiffs on almost every shot he takes, puck handling is questionable, and makes a few bonehead plays every game. Vasacuro is probably a good leader off the ice but isn't a lockdown Dman by any means. I'm pleased with Brassard, he has a bright future and Taylor has been progressing as the season goes on. Defense needs improvement, maybe it's youth, but it has to get better.
                                ^this.
                                I still believe our season is not over. Dartmouth played well, and had a good strategy against us. I don't think Bennett saw that one coming !
                                Let's keep getting better and see what happens.
                                Go U!!!!
                                Let's go Union !
                                ECAC Regular season champion : 2010-11, 2011-12, 2013-14, 2016-17
                                ECAC Tournament champion : 2012, 2013, 2014
                                NCAA champion : 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X