Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I didn't regard it as a joke. It did cross my mind, however, that he could have written it purely to rile the RPI fans here, so that we would attempt to bash him into the goal -- or worse.
    I'd take it as serious. If he is also the Jim Brown poster (not saying he is or isn't, will leave the ambiguity as it is), then it's being posted in multiple locations and multiple times, the latter of which is certain because we've seen it from the poster on several threads, which usually is not the pattern of a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Lodge17 View Post
      Hahahaha! National Champs and Mayors Cup Champs at the same time. Said by no RPI fan ever...
      How does a loser RPI fan give me negative feedback in our freaking thread? What a baby!

'Because the Mayor's Cup didn't exist when we won our championshipS.'... thanks captain obvious! Guess what, it will never ever ever ever happen in RPIs future either because RPIs program is and always will be a complete joke. Deal with it!!!

Champs!!!
      Your Mama loves the Q!

Comment

Question: Last year Bodie got a two game suspension .... correct? So if Wood gets a two game suspension and Bodie got a two game suspension then in the league's eyes the offenses were the same ...... but Bodie did not sneak up in a cowardly sort of way and blindside a player smashing their head into the goal which required stitches.

I think as video's like these start to appear people will understand the severity of the crime. A picture is worth a 1000 words. So is a video. What this video says 1000 times over is "GOON"
        http://youtu.be/QxCHg3IcwaE

Here is a sight that no current RPI fan will ever see in their lifetime.
        http://youtu.be/dxiT02DxXB0?list=UUg...nlCyMJPxcUYL5w

I hope that in the Union locker room there is a picture of the bloody side of Charley's face and I hope we see RPI again this year when the memory is fresh. That is going to be one that I am not going to want to miss.

BTW has anyone seen any apology from Wood? Appert? Anyone? No? I didn't think so. That would require some level of class.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 01-29-2015, 12:43 PM.
        DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
        DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

It seems to me that our fan base is growing. I know that our barn is always about sold out and the turnout at BU was fantastic. It also felt like we had great representation at the Mayor's cup. Are people seeing the same thing? Many of the fans that showed up at BU were Union Alums who had not gone to a Union Sporting event since graduation. Real positive takeaway from last year.
          Last edited by Dutchman; 01-29-2015, 10:56 AM.
          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

While Jake Wood deserved the two games, recognize that his hit and ensuing suspension is unfortunately what happens every night at the highest levels of junior hockey (check out the list of CHL/USHL suspensions). It's part of the game for many who make it to NCAA D1 hockey. It's a rare player who hasn't been stitched up multiple times in the first year he plays (and fights) with only a half-shield.

Don't think that Wood is a outlier who deserves more than the suspension he was given. A cut ear is nothing compared to the undisclosed injuries Gostisbehere and Bodie played with last year (or those of current players/"healthy scratches").

Comment

RPI director of hockey operations Andrew Thomas will be joining College Hockey, Inc. as its new director of education and recruitment, CHI executive director Mike Snee announced Thursday.
              The 29-year-old Thomas, a former captain at the University of Denver, joined the Engineers this season. He will start with CHI at the conclusion of RPI's season.

Rats leaving a sinking ship? First the AD and now the Director of Hockey operations. Maybe RPI is heading for D-III?
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

A big weekend ahead of us starts with #4 Harvard, consistency and playing a full 60 minutes will be key. Our boys are starting to show flashes of brilliance, and if there ever was a time to put it all together, now would be the time.
                Union College Hockey
                2014 NCAA National Champions
                2012, 2013, 2014 ECAC Champions

Comment

Originally posted by UnionFan4Life View Post
                  A big weekend ahead of us starts with #4 Harvard, consistency and playing a full 60 minutes will be key. Our boys are starting to show flashes of brilliance, and if there ever was a time to put it all together, now would be the time.
                  +1

Comment

Time to put last weekend in the rearview mirror.. it was a nice win, but meanwhile the rest of the ECAC was playing games that counted in the league and U is now in 10th place . Really need to avoid traveling to someplace like Lynah, Starr or Ingalls in the first round. 10 games left and pretty much every one will be the biggest game of the year.

I liked the lineup last Saturday and the idea of putting the best offensive players on the top 2 lines rather than spreading things out. The 3rd & 4th lines played with a lot of energy & jam and hopefully that continues. Team defense was pretty good and the d-men were a little more physical too. Great job keeping the shots against low. And in what I think would be another first for the program, is possible that Champ &/or Vecks could have 40+ points before the end of the month.

On the negative side: the 3 goals against were all pretty ugly. Stevens bad rebound on the first and the d-men inexplicably had their backs turned to Melanson as he waltzed right in. 2nd goal was another in a long line of open passes through the slot for a quick shot that no goalie can stop (there were like 5 of those against Gate). 3rd goal a bad carom off the boards that found everyone out of position (ok a little bad luck on that one). Also quite a few other chances that better teams likely would have converted. Bottom line, team defense still needs to improve.

Both of these games are huge, especially the one in Hanover as Dartmouth is currently in 9th. Harvard has gained much confidence since visiting Schenectady and has a ton of talent if healthy. A good start in Cambridge is key IMO. Its pretty simple at this point, the boys need every point they can get.
                    UNIONNY HOCKEY - Not in Kentucky anymore..

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      RPI director of hockey operations Andrew Thomas will be joining College Hockey, Inc. as its new director of education and recruitment, CHI executive director Mike Snee announced Thursday.
                      The 29-year-old Thomas, a former captain at the University of Denver, joined the Engineers this season. He will start with CHI at the conclusion of RPI's season.

Rats leaving a sinking ship? First the AD and now the Director of Hockey operations. Maybe RPI is heading for D-III?
                      It's a obviously a waste of time trying to discuss things with someone who apparently has me on ignore, but that is a step up for Thomas.

Does Union even have a Director of Hockey Operations for its men's and women's teams, or are those duties assumed by others?
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                        Does Union even have a Director of Hockey Operations for its men's and women's teams, or are those duties assumed by others?
                        Yes it does - Zachery Longo.
                        Last edited by Goaliefan; 01-30-2015, 06:42 AM.
                        Hockey is life, the rest is just details!

Comment

Originally posted by ADK11 View Post
                          Time to put last weekend in the rearview mirror..
                          +1
                          Nice Write-up

As long as they have Jimmy Vesey 6'3" 203 and Kyle Criscuolo, their Captain and Michalek in goal, they can beat anyone. A lot of their younger players are just "champing at the bit" to show what they can do. Everyone is picking us to lose (again). With the Beanpot on Monday, we can only hope that they will hold back many of their stars (Jaw, Kerfoot, Hart, Esposito, Blackwell, McNally) and focus on BU. Even if they do, they have tons of talent to beat us with. Dartmouth is not going to be any easier. All year long they have been playing under their potential. Beat BU at home. I really like those top two lines as well. Tonight I would like to see more production from the second line. Harvard is #2 in the country in scoring. We are going to need to use our bodies to block shots and remember what Wilkins said "If we play 60 minutes ... we can beat anyone". We played 60 minutes against the Goons and wore them out.
                          Last edited by Dutchman; 01-30-2015, 06:40 AM.
                          DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                          DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                            +1
                            Nice Write-up

As long as they have Jimmy Vesey 6'3" 203 and Kyle Criscuolo, their Captain and Michalek in goal, they can beat anyone. A lot of their younger players are just "champing at the bit" to show what they can do. Everyone is picking us to lose (again). With the Beanpot on Monday, we can only hope that they will hold back many of their stars (Jaw, Kerfoot, Hart, Esposito, Blackwell, McNally) and focus on BU. Even if they do, they have tons of talent to beat us with. Dartmouth is not going to be any easier. All year long they have been playing under their potential. Beat BU at home. I really like those top two lines as well. Tonight I would like to see more production from the second line. Harvard is #2 in the country in scoring. We are going to need to use our bodies to block shots and remember what Wilkins said "If we play 60 minutes ... we can beat anyone". We played 60 minutes against the Goons and wore them out.
                            I don't see Harvard "holding back their stars", as you put it. I know the Beanpot is important in Boston (and it would be nice to see someone other than BU or BC win it), but league games are pretty important, too. If I'm Ted Donato, I wouldn't even consider holding anyone back tonight. That said, Harvard is dinged up - Kerfoot & Malone have both been injured, though I think they're supposed to return tonight. I thought I saw that Pat McNally is out for the year, too. Harvard is a good team, but they've struggled lately with the injuries affecting them.

I'm hoping Union's top two lines and the grinding/jamming 4th line can take control again. I really like the hustle and energy I've seen from Tyler Hynes on the 4th line.

It's still tough to see Union pulling this out on the road, but you really never know with this team.
                            Union Hockey

2014 National Champions!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Vaportrail View Post
                              While Jake Wood deserved the two games, recognize that his hit and ensuing suspension is unfortunately what happens every night at the highest levels of junior hockey (check out the list of CHL/USHL suspensions). It's part of the game for many who make it to NCAA D1 hockey. It's a rare player who hasn't been stitched up multiple times in the first year he plays (and fights) with only a half-shield.

Don't think that Wood is a outlier who deserves more than the suspension he was given. A cut ear is nothing compared to the undisclosed injuries Gostisbehere and Bodie played with last year (or those of current players/"healthy scratches").
                              It's the circumstances that contribute to the issue. RPI was down 8-3 with under a minute left. It was a very dangerous hit. It's not the injuries that were sustained as much as it is the injuries that could have been sustained. Anytime I watch hockey at any level my stomach knots up when I see a player hit from behind and, in this case, there was clear intent. Perhaps, my feelings about hits from behind come from seeing three great kids from SLU sustain broken necks since 1988 along with countless other concussions. That kind of hit is always going to garner a suspension and it always should. Fortunately, Vasaturo did not have a concussion or worse. If he did, I'm an advocate of the perp doing just as much time as the victim. Physical hockey is awesome and fun. Cheap shot hockey is not.
                              9/11/01 - Stewie & Pelch, you are missed by the SLU Family.
                              1962, 1988, 1989, 1992, 2000, 2001, we want More!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Got 6, Want More View Post
                                It's the circumstances that contribute to the issue. RPI was down 8-3 with under a minute left. It was a very dangerous hit. It's not the injuries that were sustained as much as it is the injuries that could have been sustained. Anytime I watch hockey at any level my stomach knots up when I see a player hit from behind and, in this case, there was clear intent. Perhaps, my feelings about hits from behind come from seeing three great kids from SLU sustain broken necks since 1988 along with countless other concussions. That kind of hit is always going to garner a suspension and it always should. Fortunately, Vasaturo did not have a concussion or worse. If he did, I'm an advocate of the perp doing just as much time as the victim. Physical hockey is awesome and fun. Cheap shot hockey is not.
                                Good post. I agree, though that methodology will not be employed anytime soon by those who run hockey.

Comment

Working...
                                X