PDA

View Full Version : Union College Hockey 2014-2015 "ReUnion 2015? Why "Nott"?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51

rdf8585
02-25-2015, 02:48 PM
Union goalie Dillon Pieri is studying the viability of schools adding Division I men's hockey programs:

http://t.co/B8sBNJzpmB

rdf8585
02-25-2015, 07:13 PM
TSN's segment on former Union forward Kevin Shier:

http://www.tsn.ca/video/tsn-original-heroes-welcome-1.216281

ADK11
02-26-2015, 08:56 AM
Of course I agree with Saints#1 about COTY going to Canton. That one seems painfully obvious.

You can't replace guys like Bodie and Ghostisbehere. They logged probably 30 minutes a night for you guys and were dominant at both ends of the ice. I would happily trade 5 winning seasons for one NCAA title. You guys were absolutely awesome last year. The biggest issue is team defense for Union. The younger blueliners have not stepped up to fill some big shoes and I don't think the forwards are playing a system that will enable them to win consistently. As good as Ciampini and Vecchione are, perhaps, too much emphasis on scoring. Also, just my opinion, but Nate Leaman was a good coach, a good recruiter and he absolutely worked his *** off recruiting the older guys on that team. In my mind, he is one of the hardest working head coaches. I like Rick Bennett, but I have to say that there are questions in my mind about him to be able to rebuild the way Leaman did. Still, a new season starts a week from Friday...SLU has been in that position a lot, there is no doubt you could surprise some people in the second season.Carvel SHOULD get COTY, but the Cleary Cup coach may upset the equation.. not that I agree with it, but there is a certain ECAC history in doing that.

Personally I think Got 6's analysis is spot on. The bottomline is that last year's senior class was a home run and easily the best in U's history, especially considering that it also included Grosenick and Jooris. Multiple all-league/AAs in one class doesn't happen very often. The lack of depth at forward and especially the drop-off on the blueline have just been killer. And as much as I am hugely confident in Bennett, recruiting is very much a "what have you done lately" kind of thing. All it takes is a class or two that doesn't quite pan out and your fortunes nosedive (the team across the river from U is a pretty good example). In many ways last year's team marked a transition from a very conservative defense first style to a more wide-open skating style, and one thing that made it all work was the large group of upperclassmen that had 2-3 seasons of perfecting a physical defensive style under Leaman & Bennett. This made last year's team incredibly versatile and able to play different styles depending on the opponent or the situation. Having a couple supremely gifted defensemen made it elite. This year's team has too many players that don't have that base of defensive chops and some of the players seem to have assumed that the wide open style is the way to play. Forwards and d-men "jump the zone" and join the offense too quickly and are putting the young d-men on islands way too many times. The current set of defensemen are not real good defensively and don't have much size. I don't know if this is a conscious trend of Bennett's, but IMO we need to bring in some d-men with a little more size and D-chops to complement the better skating offensive ones. Leaman seemed to like more "medium" size D-men, 6-1 to 6-2 and over 190#. I'll be interested to see what happens in future classes.

As for this weekend and beyond, with Taylor & Gingras still out I do not see good things happening. The team D is tight because the forwards HAVE to get back and help, but its killing the offense. Tape to tape passes in the defensive zone rarely happen and U seldom gets any speed through the neutral zone, meaning the offense has to to work the puck in the zone and win battles in the corners & in front of the net - not an overall strength of the team. I do think that Stevens has been playing well lately and if at least one of Taylor/Gingras comes back the D could be better, but is hard to see U having any success this weekend or the weekend after. U is way too easy to play against - pressure the D into mistakes, get pucks on net & into the slot, don't let #17 or #21 beat you. Anything is possible and I hope there is a miracle turnaround, but am not expecting it.

Dutchman
02-26-2015, 08:57 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle_on_Ice

The "Miracle on Ice" is the name in American popular culture for a medal-round men's ice hockey game during the 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid, New York, on Friday, February 22. The United States national team, made up of amateur and collegiate players and led by coach Herb Brooks, defeated the Soviet Union national team, which had won the gold medal in six of the seven previous Olympic games.

... the crowd began to count down the seconds left. Sportscaster Al Michaels, who was calling the game on ABC along with former Montreal Canadiens goalie Ken Dryden, picked up on the countdown in his broadcast, and delivered his famous call:

“11 seconds, you've got 10 seconds, the countdown going on right now! Morrow, up to Silk. Five seconds left in the game. Do you believe in miracles?! YES!!!”

As his team ran all over the ice in celebration, Herb Brooks sprinted back to the locker room and cried. In the locker room afterwards, players spontaneously broke into a chorus of "God Bless America".

The March 3, 1980 cover of Sports Illustrated ran without any accompanying captions or headlines. None were needed. Everyone on America knew what happened.

In this sport anything is possible !!!

UFan
02-26-2015, 01:21 PM
[...]The lack of depth at forward and especially the drop-off on the blueline have just been killer.[...] This year's team has too many players that don't have that base of defensive chops and some of the players seem to have assumed that the wide open style is the way to play. Forwards and d-men "jump the zone" and join the offense too quickly and are putting the young d-men on islands way too many times. The current set of defensemen are not real good defensively and don't have much size. [...]
The team D is tight because the forwards HAVE to get back and help, but its killing the offense. Tape to tape passes in the defensive zone rarely happen and U seldom gets any speed through the neutral zone, meaning the offense has to to work the puck in the zone and win battles in the corners & in front of the net - not an overall strength of the team. I do think that Stevens has been playing well lately and if at least one of Taylor/Gingras comes back the D could be better, but is hard to see U having any success this weekend or the weekend after. U is way too easy to play against - pressure the D into mistakes, get pucks on net & into the slot, don't let #17 or #21 beat you. Anything is possible and I hope there is a miracle turnaround, but am not expecting it.
^this (edited down a bit)

Our D is learning, slowly but surely. Not fast enough in my opinion... Also, because of this style of play, the forwards get caught up ice often, and getting back is hard for some of them. Add this to the less than stellar passing, and we are where we should be in the league given our performance.
We keep getting better, slowly, it's encouraging. How long before the team clicks consistently... unknown. I hope that if our season ends early, the players will not forget what they learned this season. That would be the biggest downer for me.

Dutchman
02-26-2015, 10:14 PM
This is why we should never leave Lake Placid ..... why it is, like so many of the magnificant campuses, of our ECAC institutions, a special place with a special history for our country and for college hockey. It is a monument to NCAA college hockey, because it was there that the greatest victory, won by college hockey players, took place.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huokfPgsZok
http://youtu.be/huokfPgsZok

aweise
02-27-2015, 07:18 AM
The March 3, 1980 cover of Sports Illustrated ran without any accompanying captions or headlines. None were needed. Everyone on America knew what happened.

I believe it's the only SI cover in its history that did not have any accompanying captions or headlines. I hope it stays that way.

As for miracles, it'll take one or two to keep playing past next weekend. Union will not be at home for any of the playoffs for the first time since 2007 - that seemed like such a long time ago. Looking at the standings, they could be playing any one of Yale, Colgate, Dartmouth, Cornell, or Clarkson next week.

I will guarantee only one thing: This is the ECAC...anything can happen!

GameOn
02-27-2015, 11:41 AM
Has anyone noticed that Union recruit Brett Supinski is second in overall scoring in the BCHL? Sounds like he will be a nice add. Also Cole Maier and Brendan Taylor are playing well for the BCHL Clippers and each have around 50 points respectively. It seems that the coaching staff has really focused on BCHL talent and less on USHL talent due to recent success with alums (Bodies, etc). Anyone have any comment on this? Seems like the makings of a good class next year...

ADK11
02-27-2015, 12:44 PM
^this (edited down a bit)

Our D is learning, slowly but surely. Not fast enough in my opinion... Also, because of this style of play, the forwards get caught up ice often, and getting back is hard for some of them. Add this to the less than stellar passing, and we are where we should be in the league given our performance.
We keep getting better, slowly, it's encouraging. How long before the team clicks consistently... unknown. I hope that if our season ends early, the players will not forget what they learned this season. That would be the biggest downer for me.I'm certainly hoping that this ends up being a recalibration season where the players realize what incredible hard work it takes to reach the levels the team was at the past 4-5 years. If there isn't serious improvement from many of the returning players next season could be even worse.

Has anyone noticed that Union recruit Brett Supinski is second in overall scoring in the BCHL? Sounds like he will be a nice add. Also Cole Maier and Brendan Taylor are playing well for the BCHL Clippers and each have around 50 points respectively. It seems that the coaching staff has really focused on BCHL talent and less on USHL talent due to recent success with alums (Bodies, etc). Anyone have any comment on this? Seems like the makings of a good class next year...Supinski is a little undersized (needs to get stronger) but seems to have very good offensive instincts, a bit like Wayne Simpson. Next year's class looks very good for forwards, though they will obviously need time to adjust. Maier & Supinski were recruited out of prep school and then decided to go BCHL route. BC is good league for offensive players and Supinski certainly landed in a good spot with a couple of high scoring teamates. USHL can be tougher on development of forwards because there are so many A1 kids that only a certain number on a given team will get 1st or 2nd line priority. Some good players don't even make it through tryout camp because of this. '16 recruit Ryan Walker is playing in USHL and has done pretty well. I've heard that his upside is big.

rdf8585
02-27-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm certainly hoping that this ends up being a recalibration season where the players realize what incredible hard work it takes to reach the levels the team was at the past 4-5 years. If there isn't serious improvement from many of the returning players next season could be even worse.

Supinski is a little undersized (needs to get stronger) but seems to have very good offensive instincts, a bit like Wayne Simpson. Next year's class looks very good for forwards, though they will obviously need time to adjust. Maier & Supinski were recruited out of prep school and then decided to go BCHL route. BC is good league for offensive players and Supinski certainly landed in a good spot with a couple of high scoring teamates. USHL can be tougher on development of forwards because there are so many A1 kids that only a certain number on a given team will get 1st or 2nd line priority. Some good players don't even make it through tryout camp because of this. '16 recruit Ryan Walker is playing in USHL and has done pretty well. I've heard that his upside is big.

Walker had a hat trick on Wednesday. He has 9 g, 20 a in 47 games in the USHL... solid rookie season there for the 17 year old.

rdf8585
02-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Tonight's lines:

Wilkins is a surprise scratch (should know more postgame).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Lines for tonight's <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/UnionHockey?src=hash">#UnionHockey</a>-SLUHockey game. For Union, Gingras in for Krug on D &amp; Hynes in for Wilkins up front. <a href="http://t.co/vU7FQjbyNi">pic.twitter.com/vU7FQjbyNi</a></p>&mdash; Union Hockey Blog (@UnionHockeyBlog) <a href="https://twitter.com/UnionHockeyBlog/status/571434439273783296">February 27, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dutchman
02-27-2015, 08:28 PM
we won !!!!!!!!

Miami Ice
02-27-2015, 09:26 PM
[quote=dutchman;6110814]we won !!!!!!!![/quot

THANKS, I NEEDED THAT!

rdf8585
02-27-2015, 09:49 PM
Wilkins, who didn't play tonight, is day-to-day with a lower-body injury.

Postgame audio:

Joe Dumais (Bennett under the weather) - http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblog/joe-dumais-postgame-22715

Novak, Ciampini and Vecchione - http://yourlisten.com/unionhockeyblog/ciampini-novak-vecchione-postgame-22715

rdf8585
02-28-2015, 04:14 AM
Recap and highlights from Union's 3-2 win over St. Lawrence:

http://bit.ly/188gduQ

I have to admit, I did not see that one coming. Down 2-0 against Hayton and the Saints, I thought the story line was going to be different. We'll see if the win brings any momentum.

Hard to believe the regular season ends today... October feels like yesterday.

Dutchman
02-28-2015, 04:34 AM
I thought the story line was going to be different.
Yes, me too.
Will not get any easier tonight. Clarkdson has beat Yale, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Q and Brown (2). From what I read Clarkson dominated last night and outshot RPI nearly 2-1. Last time skating at Messa for the seniors.

aweise
02-28-2015, 06:49 AM
Yes, me too.
Will not get any easier tonight. Clarkdson has beat Yale, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Q and Brown (2). From what I read Clarkson dominated last night and outshot RPI nearly 2-1. Last time skating at Messa for the seniors.

My sister (Clarkson alum) was at RPI and said the same thing. Clarkson was on a mission. Union has had their number lately, though.

I think we started seeing the Union team we've grown to love sometime in the second period. They had good shifts near the end of the period and they all had much more of a spring to their step. It would be nice if it didn't take them a period to get going, though. Good to see Gingras back in the lineup. I'd love to see Taylor back, but I'm not confident that will happen tonight.

Hokydad
02-28-2015, 07:11 AM
Using RPI as a measuring stick might be pushing it. They suck

Big win, means squat if they dontcwin tonight. Expect Union to be tough out rest of the way

Got 6, Want More
02-28-2015, 07:13 AM
Did not see the game. Was the officiating a factor? Was it typical ECAC? SLU screw job? Looking for candid thoughts. I heard the Union commentators did not agree with the major call on Dahl. How would you be feeling about it if you were SLU faithful. From the few accounts I have read, SLU was dreadful in the last two periods and so was the officiating. I am not surprised. The second this SLU squad starts thinking they are good, they are terrible. Saw it two weeks ago at QU/PU, and sounds like the same tonight at UC.

Congrats on the win. I have no doubt Union will be one of the least fun teams to play in the playoffs. Good luck tonight. It seems Clarkson is locked into 8th. If I were them I'd rather play RPI than Union, so they should have something to play for.

Dutchman
02-28-2015, 08:00 AM
Was the officiating a factor? IMO the officiating was terrible ... missed a lot of calls but I think it cut both ways. 5 on 5 you were the better team. I think we scored all our goals on the PP. St. Lawrence leads the ECAC in penalty minutes across all games. That statistic usually belongs to Cornell. Your offense looked good ....

http://unionhockeyblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/dutchmen-rally-for-3-2-win-over-saints.html